Movie Theater Seats/seating

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I must be getting old.

I love going to the movies, but I am slowly finding that I'd rather just wait for a good flick on DVD or netflix. Screaming babies, and annoying people talking...the experience is always ruined.

Then last weekend I went to see Cabin in the Woods at 1:15 pm with my wife and her friend, thinking we'd avoid the crowds. This is where I realized our theater now has assigned seating, which for a moment I thought might be a good idea. Then they said the regular seats were sold out, but they had D-Box seats available. I learned that these seats move and shake according to the action on screen, and they were double in price. I would normally never pay for something like this, but the girls talked me into it. What a mistake. $48 for three of us, and during the movie, I realized that there were several regular seats available! wtf.

Anybody else's local theaters gone to assigned seating?
Anybody like these D-Box shaking seats?
Will this bullshit last?
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Wow hadn't heard of D seats ...
    I don't think those or the assigned seating has hit here yet.

If we go we are the early ones, first show the only ones in the theatre,
    like a private showing.
    But we usually watch on demand once they come out.

Might try to go see MIB3 though as a family, we always have, must be Memorial Day weekend.
    That would be great on the big screen.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    It is the first I've heard of it - the D box seats, and assigned seating. I don't go to that many movies in theaters - mostly too busy, and not that many appealing ones. When one is there I want to see, I try to see it at a non-popular time if possible. When I went to see Black Swan a while back, a guy and his girlfriend talked through the entire time, and someone else in my row, at the end told them flat out, 'you guys were so rude - we could hear you the whole time', and the couple slunk out sheepishly as they should.

I don't know how great assigned seating would be - it is nice to be able to choose your seats. You could end up in a corner by the wall or having to almost lie on your back to see the screen if too close.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    never heard of such a thing
    i was on a "ride" at 6 flags years ago that had them though
    it was a 3D type experience where you were either
    in dino land
    or
    flying a military jet
    both very cool...the seats move and rumble, etc
    so much that you are required to wear a seat belt
    assuming it is the same deal?

sooooo ANYWAY

how was the MOVIE?

any good?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Manteno98Manteno98 Posts: 31
    Thats crazy but I would love to hear how the movie was. Really looking forward to this one.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    Wow hadn't heard of D seats ...
    I don't think those or the assigned seating has hit here yet.

If we go we are the early ones, first show the only ones in the theatre,
    like a private showing.
    But we usually watch on demand once they come out.

Might try to go see MIB3 though as a family, we always have, must be Memorial Day weekend.
    That would be great on the big screen.

I was thinking it might be a trial or something, but there were 2-3 rows of these seats, all fastened to the ground of course. the d-box rows were empty until we arrived. Hopefully this will fail miserably..it seems obvious its a money making ploy.

MiB is always fun - I hope your seats are stationary! ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    I thought the movie was really fun. It was an unusual (and very original) twist on a horror flick. But the girls I went with were a little disappointed that it wasnt really a scary movie. I liked it a lot though.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I thought the movie was really fun. It was an unusual (and very original) twist on a horror flick. But the girls I went with were a little disappointed that it wasnt really a scary movie. I liked it a lot though.

not scary?
    a thriller?

i have been so wanting a good edge of your seat thriller.
    haven't seen a good one in years
    OR
    a paranormal flick that was actually a bit scary
    and not a remake
    that would be good too
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    theatres will claim shows are sold out despite there being empty seats based on what the manager deems to be capacity ... lots of people won't sit in the first few rows so, instead of having to process refunds - it's just easier to say sold out ... also, people have a tendency to leave gaps in seats ... and it's a pain getting people to move over to fill those gaps ... so, the theatre manager will typically say that if 80% (or whatever) is the point where it gets goofy - they will say sold out ...

you could have possibly tried to ask for the dbox seats but have them not turn them on ...
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    StillHere wrote:

not scary?
    a thriller?

OR
    and not a remake
    that would be good too
    I'd recommend watching it if you like horror flicks. It won't scare the pants off you, but it's got all the tropes of the horror genre. Joss Whedon's writing did not disappoint.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Locally I have one cinema with reserved seating. Actually it's only only one theatre in the cinema. It's got a bigger than normal screen (no IMAX though), and quality digital projection and sound. I take advantage of it when I see new releases, though it does cost a buck or two more. It doesn't have D-box seats in it, which I find quite acceptable.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I would want no part in those d-box things. I sat in one of those a long time ago, can't remember where, but they also sprayed water at us when there was an ocean part in the film. This did nothing but piss me off, as I did not want to sit with wet clothing for the duration of the movie.

I HATE when people have no consideration for others, and talk the entire time. This happened to me at a Bruce concert in March. There were two girls in front of me who brought their guy-friend up to their seats (yes, three full grown adults to their two seats, and neighbors on both sides) and talked the wholeeeee time about frivolous bullshit. Drove me crazy! I don't know what's worse, a loud concert or a quiet theater.
  • The theater we frequent most has assigned seating and I love it.

Nothing annoyed me more than arriving 30 min prior to a movie to sit at the end of row seats then having the theater manager coming in a few minutes before the start 'asking people to stand and move to the center to make room for the late arrivals. :evil: I complied the first time, after that I refused.

You also get to pick your seats and are able to see what seats are already taken, so I feel it works really well.

The first 3 rows are dbox seats and my boys love Dbox but it's only worth the money IMHO for action movies.

What gets me is the $5.00 per bottle of water ....grrrr
    StillHere wrote:

not scary?
    a thriller?

OR
    and not a remake
    that would be good too

its hard to explain, but yeah, i guess its more of a thriller in the disguise of a horror flick...its hard to describe without giving it away.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I must be getting old.

I love going to the movies, but I am slowly finding that I'd rather just wait for a good flick on DVD or netflix. Screaming babies, and annoying people talking...the experience is always ruined.

Then last weekend I went to see Cabin in the Woods at 1:15 pm with my wife and her friend, thinking we'd avoid the crowds. This is where I realized our theater now has assigned seating, which for a moment I thought might be a good idea. Then they said the regular seats were sold out, but they had D-Box seats available. I learned that these seats move and shake according to the action on screen, and they were double in price. I would normally never pay for something like this, but the girls talked me into it. What a mistake. $48 for three of us, and during the movie, I realized that there were several regular seats available! wtf.

Anybody else's local theaters gone to assigned seating?
    Anybody like these D-Box shaking seats?
    Will this bullshit last?

I haven't gone to the theater to see a movie in a long time, probably a couple years. I just don't think it's worth the money. Call me cheap or whatever, but for the price they want, I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home and enjoy better food/drink with my entertainment and not be bothered by strangers who may lack theater manners.

With the advent of more technology like 3D, the interactive seats, bigger screens, better picture, etc, I hate to say but I think the bullshit will last because people will continue to pay for it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I haven't gone to the theater to see a movie in a long time, probably a couple years. I just don't think it's worth the money. Call me cheap or whatever, but for the price they want, I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home and enjoy better food/drink with my entertainment and not be bothered by strangers who may lack theater manners.

With the advent of more technology like 3D, the interactive seats, bigger screens, better picture, etc, I hate to say but I think the bullshit will last because people will continue to pay for it.

dude ... popcorn and pop aside ... where else can you go out of your home to be entertained for like $12 for 2 hours? ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

dude ... popcorn and pop aside ... where else can you go out of your home to be entertained for like $12 for 2 hours? ...

I see your point. But, I guess for me personally it's only a movie... Of course a concert or a sporting event might cost more money, but in my opinion, that's far more entertaining that watching a movie on a huge screen with a huge sound system. I guess it's all relative to the individual, where as I'd rather sacrifice the commodity of larger screens and bigger speakers for my own couch and comfort of my living room.

Having said that, I guess I've never really been enamored by watching a movie in the theaters to begin with. I think it probablyc omes down to the fact that the type of movies I prefer to watch aren't better seen in theaters.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never heard of the D seats or assigned seating in a general threater.

we are going sat night to see avengers, so i'm sure that will be packed. but we typically get there early enough to get our seat in the middle of the last row.

the one up scale theater near us has

these for 17.50 (13 Member price)
    premiumchair100x100.jpg

and these for 25 (18.5 member price)

premiumpluschair100x100.jpg

suprisingly membership is free....and beer is just 2 on tuesdays.

hmm......
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I see your point. But, I guess for me personally it's only a movie... Of course a concert or a sporting event might cost more money, but in my opinion, that's far more entertaining that watching a movie on a huge screen with a huge sound system. I guess it's all relative to the individual, where as I'd rather sacrifice the commodity of larger screens and bigger speakers for my own couch and comfort of my living room.

Having said that, I guess I've never really been enamored by watching a movie in the theaters to begin with. I think it probablyc omes down to the fact that the type of movies I prefer to watch aren't better seen in theaters.

I agree with you DC -- I've gone less and less because of annoying people and rise in prices. And since I usually only go in the daytime, I can find a lot of things to do as an alternative for $12. I only went this last time because it was rainy out. Next time I'll read a book.

I simply see all this 3D, shaking seats and shit as a cheap excuse to make more greedy $$$. I wish people would stop paying for this shit and maybe Will Smith wouldnt need 50 million per picture. I'm going on a a movie strike...not going until the Hobbit in december.
    I simply see all this 3D, shaking seats and shit as a cheap excuse to make more greedy $$$. I wish people would stop paying for this shit and maybe Will Smith wouldnt need 50 million per picture. I'm going on a a movie strike...not going until the Hobbit in december.

as a movie theater owner, i would ask you to reconsider. :lol:

i can go to the one theater here for 5.25 for a mantinee. if you go to the early early bird showing, i think it's a buck or two less. the nice theater that we go to, mantinee's are still like 8 bucks, with primetime being 10

imo, the best way to go, is to catch a late afternoon movie at the cheaper price, sneak in a beverage, get some popcorn, watch your movie, then go watch anouther movie.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    I LOVE the reserved seating, it allows me to take my time.
    I have two kids 4 and 7, so movies are a common thing.
    But I do feel like I am being hustled as I usually spend about $50-$60 at the theater, but thats mostly because I think getting my kids popcorn at the theater is an experience they shouldnt miss out on-but I gotta remember to get the rasinettes and small bottle sof water BEFORE I get there :lol:
    dcfaithful wrote:

fair enough ... all i'm saying is for $12 ... there aren't a lot of things you can do out of home and be entertained ... no one is being forced to buy the overpriced popcorn and pop ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

fair enough ... all i'm saying is for $12 ... there aren't a lot of things you can do out of home and be entertained ... no one is being forced to buy the overpriced popcorn and pop ...

Agreed. But I still feel $12 is an overpriced ticket to watch a movie. But, you are definitely right when you say ther aren't a lot of things you can do out of the home for $12. Seeing a movie is one of them though...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    polaris_x wrote:
    no one is being forced to buy the overpriced popcorn and pop ...

am i.....go buy some friggen popcorn you cheapskate

:arrow: :corn: :corn: :corn:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    dcfaithful wrote:

I agree.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'd rather go to a creed concert than a movie theater
    81 wrote:
    never heard of the D seats or assigned seating in a general threater.

we are going sat night to see avengers, so i'm sure that will be packed. but we typically get there early enough to get our seat in the middle of the last row.

the one up scale theater near us has

these for 17.50 (13 Member price)
    premiumchair100x100.jpg

and these for 25 (18.5 member price)

premiumpluschair100x100.jpg

suprisingly membership is free....and beer is just 2 on tuesdays.

hmm......

Your movie theater serves beer?
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    no one is being forced to buy the overpriced popcorn and pop ...

am i.....go buy some friggen popcorn you cheapskate

:arrow: :corn: :corn: :corn:

:lol:

i'm in canada ... you don't own any of our theatres!!
    DS1119 wrote:

beer is the new thing in movie theaters. quite a few of them have added it.

check out the lobby

southbarrington4.jpg

southbarrington2.jpg

and the in theater menu
    http://d1okomq7ll62ag.cloudfront.net/20 ... SBMenu.pdf

and the drink menu
    http://d1okomq7ll62ag.cloudfront.net/20 ... ktails.pdf
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

check out the lobby

southbarrington2.jpg

and the in theater menu
    http://d1okomq7ll62ag.cloudfront.net/20 ... SBMenu.pdf

and the drink menu
    http://d1okomq7ll62ag.cloudfront.net/20 ... ktails.pdf

Is it more of a bar that has a movie theater? I don't think I'd make my movie if I went there. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

Is it more of a bar that has a movie theater? I don't think I'd make my movie if I went there. :lol:

i thought it was like 20 bucks for a seat...now that i have seen the pricing, i want to go check it out...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg