How to choose which books to clear off the bookshelf.

2»

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    81 wrote:
    BookBurning.jpg

Nooooooooooo..........!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    leave all national geographics. they show boobs.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Claireack wrote:

Maybe the first book to go can be The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus
    What?? And not be able to regularly refer to the book in anticipation of the prophecies or check back to see if he was correct?
    :mrgreen:
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I have this problem too. I've been able to purge a few times (usually only when I'm about to move), but I was just considering doing this yesterday!!

When I look over the titles for the ones I would be willing to part with, I rarely end up with more than 3 or 4.

In the fall, I cleared off two shelves and packed the books into a box. They've been in the crawl space ever since. The fact that I really can't recall what was packed up ought to be enough of a clue that I would be okay if I parted with those ones for good.

I like the idea of donating them. Up until now, I've usually just donated or sold them (for pennies, really) to used bookstores. But to donate them to an organization with a specific cause might help me change the criteria by which I currently analyze which books go and which books stay (i.e., by changing the question from "can I part with this?" to "would someone else like to read this?").
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I gutted my bookcases a while ago, while difficult, it felt liberating. I did keep books with inscriptions/autographs, and the large art ones and reference/biographies. It took a lot for me as I'm horribly sentimental, but after a while it just takes up room. Like Ed said, "It's not the world that's heavy it's the things that you save".

You can always donate to a local library if they want any (granted they aren't titles that you would break your heart to give away!)

There's also this program to help soldiers, it's for the US but perhaps there's an equivalent overseas: http://booksforsoldiers.com/

There's also convalescent homes too, they might appreciate a donation :)

I cut my book collection in half last year. I did it by using the 3 second method. (Yes, the method from the T.V. show Hoarders :oops: )

There are books I know I can't get rid of, like my Astrology books or the books like belonged to my parents. For the rest of the books, I used the 3 Second Rule. You have 3 seconds to decide if it "stays" or "goes", and it made the process very easy for me. No kidding, I cut my book collection in half. In retrospect, those books that were placed in the "goes" pile... I don't really remember which books they were and I don't miss them. :)

With some of the books that were "stays", I did what some of the other posters have suggested - I loaned books to friends and gave some to the local library. And those books I chose to keep because I hadn't read them yet, I am going to give them to friends so they can read them and pass them along.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    redrock wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Maybe the first book to go can be The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus
    What?? And not be able to regularly refer to the book in anticipation of the prophecies or check back to see if he was correct?
    :mrgreen:

It honestly wasn't as exciting a read as I imagined :lol:

Chadwick - No national geographics here. But I think we have a book of semi-nudes of the young Madonna (before she was famous stuff). I'm not too fussed about keeping it. Besides if I want to see boobs I'll look in the mirror (I'll have some sticky tape handy to recapture my youth).
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    i'm moving on june 29
    and every time i've moved in the past
    i've lost a good portion of my "unecessaries"
    so if the trend follows, i won't have to worry about thinning out my collection :roll:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~