How to choose which books to clear off the bookshelf.

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I need to get rid of some books, I've got too many and not enough shelf space.

I tend to get really attached to them though, they might have made me feel something special, they might remind me of someone or a moment in time. In the past I've kind of just moved them around and even hidden some so I didn't have to part with them. Now I really need to just let them go.

Any ideas on how to pick what goes and what stays. I do re-read books that I particularly fond of, so I've been using that as an excuse for keeping books for years.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Keep them .
    Find storage somewhere.
    They may also have collectible value as the years pass.
  • arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Any trade paperbacks you can pick up again at a used book store (like Stephen King) for cheap or are readily available at the library. Its tough, but you gotta start somewhere!
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    Keep them! Store the ones that you don't like so much in carton boxes and place them at your storehouse or your attic.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • My wife battles with me on this all of the time. I find the best way to make space is to pass books on to someone else. There has to be a friend, family member, or colleague who would find some of your old tomes appealing. Plus, it gives you one more way to connect with them. Keep any books that have personally inscriptions to you and that you know you go back to more than once a year. Otherwise, share.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    My wife battles with me on this all of the time. I find the best way to make space is to pass books on to someone else. There has to be a friend, family member, or colleague who would find some of your old tomes appealing. Plus, it gives you one more way to connect with them. Keep any books that have personally inscriptions to you and that you know you go back to more than once a year. Otherwise, share.

That's not a bad :idea: at all! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Ooohhh Claire! Me too.

I have an idea. We could start a book trade/borrow thingy on here.

I have the same problem Claire, I never want to get rid of a single book.

And I have one of those fancy schmancy kindles too, but I still buy "real" books. I like the feel of them. I like picking them up and putting them down and keeping your place for later. I like how they look on the shelf. I like the smell of a an old time worn leather bound.

I hope they never go out of style.

Wanna trade/borrow some? We'd probably have to keep within our same countries or shipping will be ridiculous.

Anyone interested?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    StillHere - that's a good idea, but even within the same country it could cost a fortune. I'd give it a go though.

Books are wonderful! They smell so good! Feeling the weight of them and looking at the covers. I've bought books because I just liked the title.

I am going to be ruthless! I've been thinking about it while pottering around. We've had a box before in our waiting area where we've had second hand books for sale for 50p with the proceeds going to a local hospice. I am going to try and write down at least one really good reason to keep a particular book, put it aside then go back a little while later, read the reason and objectively (well try to be) decide if the reason is valid. 'I love it' just isn't going to be good enough, there needs to be more. If it's a book that I think I want to read again I'm going to tag it and if I haven't read it in 6 months it's got to go.

The first book to go is 'The Complete Works of Shakespear', last time I read any of it was about 5 years ago. I've had it for 30 years, it's time it's gone.

I don't think I'm going to enjoy this very much :(
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Claireack wrote:
    'The Complete Works of Shakespear', last time I read any of it was about 5 years ago. I've had it for 30 years, it's time it's gone.
    (
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I've got it too (or one of 'it'). You never know when it can come handy (for Hal?). Sometimes I refer to it - go see a play - wonder about something and check it out. Can't get rid of that!!!!! (I do love myself a bit of good ol' Will sometimes!)

I'm the same with books - got loads in my attic, some stuffed in a bag somewhere, there are even some in one of these 'granny shopping trolleys' (its full) which is still in the entrance hall as I have nowhere to put it!

Books I go give to charity/hospitals would be what I call my 'commuting' (when I used to commute) books. The thrillers, which are enjoyable, but I don't feel like reading again because I know 'whodunnit' and 'howdunnit'.
    redrock wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    'The Complete Works of Shakespear', last time I read any of it was about 5 years ago. I've had it for 30 years, it's time it's gone.
    (
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I've got it too (or one of 'it'). You never know when it can come handy (for Hal?). Sometimes I refer to it - go see a play - wonder about something and check it out. Can't get rid of that!!!!! (I do love myself a bit of good ol' Will sometimes!)

I'm the same with books - got loads in my attic, some stuffed in a bag somewhere, there are even some in one of these 'granny shopping trolleys' (its full) which is still in the entrance hall as I have nowhere to put it!

Books I go give to charity/hospitals would be what I call my 'commuting' (when I used to commute) books. The thrillers, which are enjoyable, but I don't feel like reading again because I know 'whodunnit' and 'howdunnit'.

i was going to say the same thing...great reference book for Hal... all through school and then into college, you never know...Shakespeare is timeless. Even a lot of the "new" stuff is based on his works. It would be great if say, kids knew what the Lion King or Kings of New York, or any of the supposedly new stuff is actually based upon. Geez, a lot of the time the modern authors don't even try to disguise it. Its a shame though, so many kids and even adults today have never read Shakespeare and have no idea what these things are really about.

OH and RedRock...THRILLERS are my favorite. I just can't do without a good edge-of-your-seater.

Books keep your worries and cares at bay. I find them soothing to say the least. Take me to another time, another world, another life. Let me be someone else and someplace else for a while.
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    StillHere wrote:

OH and RedRock...THRILLERS are my favorite. I just can't do without a good edge-of-your-seater. .

I love thrillers as well, keep on getting them. But I rarely re-read them because for me, the 'thrill' and more, I guess, the 'build up' to the thrill is gone if I already know what is happening. Though there are books in that category that I do like to read again because they are so well written.

My daughter (17) has the same problem about getting rid of her books. She just can't!
    StillHere wrote:
    Its a shame though, so many kids and even adults today have never read Shakespeare and have no idea what these things are really about. .

And he's not that 'obtuse' either. His comedies are fantastic and so accessible!

Because if this, I now have to go empty out my 'granny shopping trolley' and see what I have in there. I know I have lots of reference books....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    BookBurning.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Claireack wrote:
    The first book to go is 'The Complete Works of Shakespeare', last time I read any of it was about 5 years ago. I've had it for 30 years, it's time it's gone.

Nooooooo! No, no, no. :shock: I have one of those as well and even though I haven't read it in ages and it's a paperback (so not all "proper" and stuff), I love it and could never let it go. Yours could become a family heirloom or something? :D

Main reason I haven't read mine in a while (as well as not having time) is because it's in English. Which I love, but it does take me a while to read it, compared to other books. :lol: Wuthering Heights in English took bloody forever, but it was worth it.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I'm not good at letting books go, in fact, I'm not sure if I ever have. :think: Except school text books, though I still have some of those too (history, religion and psychology at least). Then again, I've always been an avid library-goer. (Need to find a new favourite library, actually.)

But if you really must, definitely first let go of the ones that you don't have such an emotional attachment to. Like someone said, give them away to friends, collagues.. Charity?

I'm trying to think of what I would do, but I don't know what that would be. Most of my books are in some way quite meaningful, or I just plain love them for what they are. Of course, I probably don't have as many books as you ( - yet).
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    Before I had my own book business and had occasionally accumulated too many books I would take ones that could be replaced if needed later and take them to a reputable used bookstore for trade. When you trade you end up with fewer books (otherwise the bookstore would be a "library" and would go out of business) and that way you end up with fewer books but also something new. Also, in the past I've learned the hard way that it's best not to get rid of books that have sentimental or are harder to find versions of a more common book. My biggest regret that way is letting go a Russian version of Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. :( Live and learn.

Mass market books, as mentioned already, are easily replaced.

If you're not sure about the value of some of the books you want to get rid of and that is a deciding factor, PM me and perhaps I can help. Your Shakespeare collection for example- some single volume editions are a dime a dozen and others are relatively valuable. Hardbacks with dust jackets are worth more than without. True first editions can be difficult to determine in many cases. Condition including things like mildew or smoke odors are important as well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

^^^^ ahaaaaa...just couldn't stay away too long eh?

Well...nice to see you :D

That's a good idea Brian. We don't have any around us, but maybe more towards the city?

For those interested in a Book Exchange, I think media mail rate (USPS) for a normal sized volume (novel) is about $2 or $3 and it takes about 5 to 8 days to arrive. Anything up to 70 lbs can be sent media mail, but its only for books and educational materials.

Don't know about other countries.
    peace,
    jo

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I gutted my bookcases a while ago, while difficult, it felt liberating. I did keep books with inscriptions/autographs, and the large art ones and reference/biographies. It took a lot for me as I'm horribly sentimental, but after a while it just takes up room. Like Ed said, "It's not the world that's heavy it's the things that you save".

You can always donate to a local library if they want any (granted they aren't titles that you would break your heart to give away!)

There's also this program to help soldiers, it's for the US but perhaps there's an equivalent overseas: http://booksforsoldiers.com/

There's also convalescent homes too, they might appreciate a donation :)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Well, at least I know now that I'm not the only one with this problem!

I nearly always regret getting rid of books. I have a few that were given to us that I don't care about so I could probably donate them or take them to the half price book store.

I'm fortunate that our house has an enormous built in book shelf in the hallway. After living here 20+ years, I can still find space on it.

I guess I'm no help, Claire! :shifty:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I sent two boxes of books to my buddy that was serving in afghanistan and told him to pass them out to his fellow soldiers or put them in a common area... Felt good.. Wonder if any of them read "Lies and the Lying Liars..." by Al franken..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
    I gutted my bookcases a while ago, while difficult, it felt liberating. I did keep books with inscriptions/autographs, and the large art ones and reference/biographies. It took a lot for me as I'm horribly sentimental, but after a while it just takes up room. Like Ed said, "It's not the world that's heavy it's the things that you save".

You can always donate to a local library if they want any (granted they aren't titles that you would break your heart to give away!)

There's also this program to help soldiers, it's for the US but perhaps there's an equivalent overseas: http://booksforsoldiers.com/

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea chiqui! I'm off to find out about it right now :D
    peace,
    jo

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I keep thinking I'll turn up on an episode of Hoarders because of all the books I have. A couple times a year I try to weed through them - some go to friends, some to our church for them to sell. I'm pretty brutal about paperbacks though.

I saw a great article once on a man who built something that looked like a skinny silo - all the walls were lined with books and there was a super tall ladder that went up and around. So that's a great dream, to build a tall skinny library silo in our back yard. Ha ha. I'll try to find a picture...
  • USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    I donate all mine read and share, community college, library, prison share
    http://www.adoptalibrary.org/#US people don't have the simple luxury of books
    StillHere wrote:

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea chiqui! I'm off to find out about it right now :D
    Sweet!

I like Tritone's link too. It is so true, we are very fortunate to have access to books. There's a group called Books for Asia that we use at work, we donate scientific journals and textbooks to them, they send them off to poor areas in the East.

I'm lucky in my hometown recycle station, they have a book bin, you can drop stuff off and pick up whatever you like, free exchange!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Paging brianlux. Paging brianlux.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:

Oops. Posted before I read the thread. :fp: Never mind and carry on. :corn:
    DS1119 wrote:

Oops. Posted before I read the thread. :fp:
    That's the best smiley :lol:
    Tritone wrote:
    I donate all mine read and share, community college, library, prison share
    http://www.adoptalibrary.org/#US people don't have the simple luxury of books

ah this is a great one too!
    peace,
    jo

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Oops. Posted before I read the thread. :fp: Never mind and carry on. :corn:

"You rang?" (in my best imitation Lurch voice) :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    May be you should try bookcrossing

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

Then you get to pass your book on, find out what the next person thinks of it, follow it's travels
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Ok the Shakespeare can stay.

I'm afraid I've failed on the first hurdle. I've managed to delay the sorting out and in the meantime have bought 3 books on Amazon :?

Maybe the first book to go can be The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus.

Someone mentioned thrillers - I've got loads of Jeffrey Deaver, I guess they're easily replaceable. Ok they can go next.