Options

Jack White Liquid Vinyl

MattCam420MattCam420 Posts: 183
edited April 2012 in Lost Dogs
Hey guys,

Was just curious if anyone scored one of these on RSD? I wasn't aware of them until a friend told me and I googled it and it looks very cool! Does this thing play like a normal record, just kind of wondering because if I do pursue one, I did want to spin it. If it is more of just a cool looking prop, I might pass but this thing immediately caught my attention when I heard about it. Right now the prices I see on the bay are a little out of my price range. Sorry if there is a topic on this record, didn't see one.

Thanks
"Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    look on ebay at completed prices...good god

Yeah, like I said, out my price range :lol: I don't even know what it originally was sold for in stores on RSD.

I was just curious if it actually plays, I read one description on there and the guy was saying how it sounded like shit. Something about how the liquid shifts from side to side as it spins. It looks pretty damn cool though. Just wondering if anyone here scored one and had some feedback on it. Just the thought of a vinyl record with liquid in it intrigued the hell out of me :D
    "Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
  • Options
    MattCam420 wrote:
    look on ebay at completed prices...good god

Yeah, like I said, out my price range :lol: I don't even know what it originally was sold for in stores on RSD.

I was just curious if it actually plays, I read one description on there and the guy was saying how it sounded like shit. Something about how the liquid shifts from side to side as it spins. It looks pretty damn cool though. Just wondering if anyone here scored one and had some feedback on it. Just the thought of a vinyl record with liquid in it intrigued the hell out of me :D

i dont think this was made to spin. :nono:
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    This was only available at Third Man Records in Nashville

2zdyk5t.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    pjradio wrote:

2zdyk5t.jpg

Wicked!
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    pjradio wrote:

2zdyk5t.jpg
    This is correct...let's hope this technique takes off!

SICK WAX

Originally sold for $100, btw
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Pretty insane. I saw a guy on Twitter who grabbed one. He said he got in line at 8:45 the night before, store opened at 10, and eventually got one by noon. Would have loved to have gotten my hands on one, but I don't live in Nashville.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,775
    video of record playing and reviews with leakage issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETuB67sTKI
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options

Awesome! I dig the song as well! Thanks for posting :thumbup: What a very cool idea for a record ... Well, okay, except for the leakage issues.
  • Options

Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Sooo, does the liquid serve any purpose other than aesthetics? Liquid anywhere near vinyl just seems like a bad idea all around, let alone inside one!

Looks cool though, I wouldn't turn one down if opportunity presented itself :mrgreen:
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Suziemay wrote:
    Sooo, does the liquid serve any purpose other than aesthetics? Liquid anywhere near vinyl just seems like a bad idea all around, let alone inside one!

Yeah... that just seems...weird. Looks cool... but so would vinyl set on fire.
    Jack White seems to be obsessed with putting stuff inside the vinyl!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Really? What other, er, stuff has he put inside vinyl? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    Suziemay wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

Really? What other, er, stuff has he put inside vinyl? :lol::lol:

Triple decker record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3c3WZ-3UU
  • Options
    I don't get it. If you need to crack it open, why not make it two separate vinyls? And does the 12" still play ok after you crack it? And why is that a triple and not double decker?
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    Suziemay wrote:
    I don't get it. If you need to crack it open, why not make it two separate vinyls? And does the 12" still play ok after you crack it? And why is that a triple and not double decker?

haha, oh the questions. I would guess the 12" snaps back together if you open it. Triple decker because you have both sides of the 12 inch that split apart to reveal the 7." Kind of like a sandwich? I dunno, thats my guess. :lol: I agree, kind of weird :?
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    My understanding is that it totally does snap back together

Now how about the 3rpm record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipMmoHCaZw

He just loves messing around with the vinyl format!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

haha, oh the questions. I would guess the 12" snaps back together if you open it. Triple decker because you have both sides of the 12 inch that split apart to reveal the 7." Kind of like a sandwich? I dunno, thats my guess. :lol: I agree, kind of weird :?
    :oops: :oops: Thanks for indulging me. I think they should call it the sandwich so that it's not so confusing :lol::lol:
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I know someone who got one. Posts here on occasion, too. These things are going to have life expectancies. I can't imagine that liquid will stay inside forever, and if I owned one, i'd be reaping the benefits while the reaping is good.

I am dying to know what the original retal was. Heared somewhere it was around $100, true?
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    I am dying to know what the original retal was. Heared somewhere it was around $100, true?

Yup $100, have you seen what these are going for now? INSANE.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    I know. Anyone who says they wouldn't look to profit off this thing while the getting is good, is much richer than me.

It'd be a nice downpayment on nearly anything you can imagine.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    MattCam420 wrote:
    Hey guys,

Was just curious if anyone scored one of these on RSD? I wasn't aware of them until a friend told me and I googled it and it looks very cool! Does this thing play like a normal record, just kind of wondering because if I do pursue one, I did want to spin it. If it is more of just a cool looking prop, I might pass but this thing immediately caught my attention when I heard about it. Right now the prices I see on the bay are a little out of my price range. Sorry if there is a topic on this record, didn't see one.

Thanks

yes it plays as a regular vinyl, they were sold only at Third Man Records store or at the Rolling Record Store...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    As weird as it is, here we are days later still talking about it. They are selling for many, many times the original price ( one for +3grand) and people camped out in the cold rain over night for a record! :corn:

Sounds like a successful add and selling campaign!
    He should run for something.. :thumbup:
  • Options

So much goodness in that video! I love their creativity!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641

That is an insanely idiotic product if it leaks, and according to the guy's comments on the vid, it is likely that it will. Wow - talk about gimmicky!! Glad I didn't get sucked into buying that (because yeah, I might have been suckered in if I'd seen something that cool in the record store).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    LftdaporchLftdaporch Posts: 118
    edited April 2012
    mines on youtube. user is mrlftdaporch

some care instructions. immediatley on getting home i ran a line of epoxy around the outer edge since it is essentially 2 records glued together. also photod the liquid so i can match it later, since these will all evaporate since it is a water based liquid.
    Post edited by Lftdaporch on
  • Options
    I didn't want to give you away, porch. I also think you misunderstood my syntax on that other place...our haven.

I obviously believe these exist. I just couldn't believe they exist, ya know. I mean, such a thing is crazy to think it should exist and would be considered a good thing to reproduce. I for one would be VERY nervous to spin it on anything I valued. You never know...

But I would have loved to be in line with you just to hold it for a few seconds after you got one.
  • Options
    I didn't want to give you away, porch. I also think you misunderstood my syntax on that other place...our haven.

I obviously believe these exist. I just couldn't believe they exist, ya know. I mean, such a thing is crazy to think it should exist and would be considered a good thing to reproduce. I for one would be VERY nervous to spin it on anything I valued. You never know...

But I would have loved to be in line with you just to hold it for a few seconds after you got one.
    But seriously, have you ready the YouTube poster's comments about the leakage?? This is what he says (credits in youtube link above), and I can't fucking believe it, seriously. You have to pad your turntable and super glue the thing before playing? Huh?? Why would anyone do this, lol! Really dumb product! :lol:

"If you haven't already figured it out, this baby is FRA-GILE. Just read TMR's warning label - haha! Several records were leaking at the POS and mine leaked as soon as I took it out of the sleeve. I highly recommend taking measures to protect and preserve your record. To prepare the record for transport I used Super Glue - said to bond vinyl - to put several thin layers in the exposed post hole edge. I also re-plugged the fluid injection whole that had stuck to the sleeve when I removed the record (the source of my leak.) I had the record packed by Fedex, checked it as baggage, TSA opened and inspected it and the record arrived intact and DRY.

TMR 12" post holes can be tight. Whatever you do DON'T force this onto the turntable or torque it in any way. I stacked several slip mats onto the player until the record sat just enough to be centered.

In the future I intend to seal the outside edge, check the plug regularly, store it upright, and take a photo digital photo to document the color of the liquid (water and food coloring) in case it ever needs to be filled again."
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    LftdaporchLftdaporch Posts: 118
    they have a disclaimer on the label stating they do not guarantee the longevity of the product. i mean we are dealing with a place that let a secondary market of about 5 million dollars worth of vinyl released into the sky via helium balloons.
  • Options
    Lftdaporch wrote:
    ... a place that let a secondary market of about 5 million dollars worth of vinyl released into the sky via helium balloons.
    Really?? That's pretty cool! I hope people didn't also have to pay $100 for a balloon record, lol!