Where to invest??

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Gold. Even though it's gone down a bit lately, in the long run, I think gold is the single best thing to invest in, because the world is running out of gold pretty quickly. In 20 - 30 years it will be worth outrageous amounts of money because there won't really be any more to mine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Gold. Even though it's gone down a bit lately, in the long run, I think gold is the single best thing to invest in, because the world is running out of gold pretty quickly. In 20 - 30 years it will be worth outrageous amounts of money because there won't really be any more to mine.

you think there is only 20-30 years of gold left out there. :think:

when it hits 1250, i'm going to buy half a pound
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Something like that... I was watching this thing about "How much is the world worth?" and they covered how much gold, mined and unmined, there is in the world, and they estimated that all the gold would be mined in about 30 years if memory serves, and it also said that more than half of the gold ever mined in the history of humanity has been mined in the past 50 years.... meaning it's going quick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    holy crap...been a week or so since i looked at gold prices....down to 1275 :think:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Something like that... I was watching this thing about "How much is the world worth?" and they covered how much gold, mined and unmined, there is in the world, and they estimated that all the gold would be mined in about 30 years if memory serves, and it also said that more than half of the gold ever mined in the history of humanity has been mined in the past 50 years.... meaning it's going quick.

They haven't looked in my pants yet :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    81 wrote:

They haven't looked in my pants yet :lol:
    Well there you go 81! Another $0.03 worth!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't understand why gold is worth anything really. What are people using it for besides jewelry?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I actually made a few dollars off MJNA. I bought in at .19 in 2011 & sold at .31 this passed Feb. I did not get much at all but at least I'm not under.

I'm still under on GE. Bought in at almost $33 and now it's $23. HPQ same thing.

I suck at the stock market so bad I stopped playing :)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    know1 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't understand why gold is worth anything really. What are people using it for besides jewelry?

It's a little more scarce than your average aluminum and is something that is real and has real value unlike paper money.
    edited June 2013
    know1 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know, it's a totally arbitrary material used as an alternative currency; it could just as easily be some rare form of dirt I guess, if that's how people had worked it way back when ... But you could say the exact same thing about cash. You could make a necklace out of $100 bills if you wanted - same thing. As Will said, gold is worth more for less because it's a precious metal, meaning it's limited and hard to acquire. It's all just a man-made physical symbol of the value of goods and labour I think? I'm not very smart about economics, but that's the impression I have, although it's obviously more complicated than that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    know1 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

It's a little more scarce than your average aluminum and is something that is real and has real value unlike paper money.
    Paper money has real value too.... until it doesn't. Same with gold. Its value could go down to almost nothing if they came upon a massive gold deposit somewhere that devalued the material, just like if mints print more money and put it into circulation and it lowers the dollar value. I think. :P Someone please tell me if I'm just full of shit please.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Paper money has real value too.... until it doesn't. Same with gold. Its value could go down to almost nothing if they came upon a massive gold deposit somewhere that devalued the material, just like if mints print more money and put it into circulation and it lowers the dollar value. I think. :P Someone please tell me if I'm just full of shit please.

Gold is a tradable commodity that has actual marketplace value. It goes back to more of a bartering thing... pretty old school.

If a government and its fiat money were to collapse, things with marketplace value may be the only items truly worth something.
    paper money used to be based on or backed by the price of gold. that whole thing about the gold in fort knox. everyone that wanted to exchange currency had to put x amount of gold into the pot or something... but then some of them started trading currency with currency instead of bothering with the gold, cuz technically 1usd was as good as x amount of gold, and that kept going until shit just got out of hand.

i swear to god i learned this in an int'l political economy class.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    edited June 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Gold is a tradable commodity that has actual marketplace value. It goes back to more of a bartering thing... pretty old school.

If a government and its fiat money were to collapse, things with marketplace value may be the only items truly worth something.
    Right - everyone knows that gold would be what you want if the dollar crashes... But if there was a massive gold discovery, that WOULD lower the value of gold still... And the value of currency also affects the value of gold I assume? And since gold is basically useless, it is still namely just a symbolic representation of goods and services (and happens to be shiny, so people make it into earrings)... isn't it?? The exception would be its use as a conductor I guess. :think:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    duska3419 wrote:
    paper money used to be based on or backed by the price of gold. that whole thing about the gold in fort knox. everyone that wanted to exchange currency had to put x amount of gold into the pot or something... but then some of them started trading currency with currency instead of bothering with the gold, cuz technically 1usd was as good as x amount of gold, and that kept going until shit just got out of hand.

So in other words, it's all just made-up bullshit, kind of like religion.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Right - everyone knows that gold would be what you want if the dollar crashes... But if there was a massive gold discovery, that WOULD lower the value of gold still... And since gold is basically useless, it is still namely just a symbolic representation of goods and services (and happens to be shiny, so people make it into earrings)... isn't it?? The exception would be its use as a conductor I guess. :think:

Right, and I still like it more than pieces of woven paper that I can destroy with the lighter in my pocket.
    duska3419 wrote:

Correct... it was...

Richard Nixon actually took us off the gold standard.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Right - everyone knows that gold would be what you want if the dollar crashes... But if there was a massive gold discovery, that WOULD lower the value of gold still... And since gold is basically useless, it is still namely just a symbolic representation of goods and services (and happens to be shiny, so people make it into earrings)... isn't it?? The exception would be its use as a conductor I guess. :think:

Right, and I still like it more than pieces of woven paper that I can destroy with the lighter in my pocket.
    Isn't US money cotton or something? Yeah, paper or fabric is an odd choice. Coins make way more sense (and I'm really surprised that the US hasn't got dollar-level coins yet - Canada is working on a $5 coin, since we already have the $1 and $2 ones. Way cheaper in the long run, since they last pretty much forever).
    Canada just switch to polymer... better, at least.... Having tried burning it yet. :think:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah, paper is an odd choice. Coins make way more sense (and I'm really surprised that the US hasn't got dollar-level coins yet - Canada is working on a $5 coin, since we already have the $1 and $2 ones. Way cheaper in the long run, since they last pretty much forever).
    Canada just switch to polymer... better, at least.... Having tried burning it yet. :think:

We have dollar coins...
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah, paper is an odd choice. Coins make way more sense (and I'm really surprised that the US hasn't got dollar-level coins yet - Canada is working on a $5 coin, since we already have the $1 and $2 ones. Way cheaper in the long run, since they last pretty much forever).

We have dollar coins...
    Really? I've never received one. You mean silver dollars?
    I added above - I think US money is actually made of fabric.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

We have dollar coins...

Yeah, cotton fabric... whatever. burns like paper
    no.

I mean dollar coins

final_obv.gif
    PJ_Soul wrote:

We have dollar coins...

Yeah, cotton fabric... whatever. burns like paper
    no.

I mean dollar coins

final_obv.gif
    :?: Well where the hell are they? I've spent a lot of cash in the US and have never once received a dollar coin as change. Just those fucking $1 bills. I hate those. They look just like $20 bills - it's so stupid! Why is it all the same colour??
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :?: Well where the hell are they? I've spent a lot of cash in the US and have never once received a dollar coin as change. Just those fucking $1 bills. I hate those. They look just like $20 bills - it's so stupid! Why is it all the same colour??
    Everybody HATES them. The only place I've ever seen use them as actual currency is the metrocard vending machines.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Just those fucking $1 bills. I hate those. They look just like $20 bills - it's so stupid! Why is it all the same colour??

the dollar bill looks nothing like the 20 bill :fp: :lol:

and we still respect the penny
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Nobody gives them back as change... most places hate getting them

Nobody wants them, just saying we have them in this country.

The $1 bill has a 1 on it and George Washington

The $20 bill has a 20 on it and Alexander Hamilton

I hate your funny money in Canada... looks like play money to me... like I'm playing monopoly. :P
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I hate your funny money in Canada... looks like play money to me... like I'm playing monopoly. :P

i don't mind the susan b....just goes in the change jar....

but if you can't tell a 1 dollar bill from a 20 or 50 or 100.........get the fuck out :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

i don't mind the susan b....just goes in the change jar....

but if you can't tell a 1 dollar bill from a 20 or 50 or 100.........get the fuck out :lol:

:lol:

It's not that fucking difficult to tell. The numbers are ridiculously easy to see on the bills
    actually the color is slightly different....and it's fucking spelled color :lol:

not fuckin centre
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    actually the color is slightly different....and it's fucking spelled color :lol:

not fuckin centre

No, not really. Same color, they have just added color to the front a bit to make it more difficult to counterfeit or some horseshit.
    81 wrote:

not fuckin centre

No, not really. Same color, they have just added color to the front a bit to make it more difficult to counterfeit or some horseshit.

i just pulled a 1 and a 20 out of my wallet....the one is clearly lighter
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg