**Official PJ @ Tweeter Center RV Tailgate Pre-Game Party Thread**

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I was just thinking about that loosely last night and this morning in some context...

Yes, I am.

However, I believe that I have had some feelings brewing here and there about some things for a little while, but they were nothing to speak of. I think once the album came out it was the last straw taste wise for me.
    While the album is of a personal preference type criticism, the merchandising I believe is another issue all together. While Pearl Jam is displayed, through their own design, as anti-establishment, and moreso in the past in light of their recent publicity push for the new album (eg. AOL Sessions for one) I believe that they are establishment. I think the fact that they sell merchandise, to the delight of the fans or not, is establishment. I think that the selling of sub-par quality materials and sizing at the Canadian/NA shows, and now continuing on this tour shows that they do not have approval or don't want it on theit items, and are willing to take the fans money. That is not "Pearl Jam" as I always had the ideal of them in my head in the past. In perspective, and growing up as fans of others themselves, they would not like their merchandise either, and I couldn't see Ed plunking down $28 to buy a 2 shirt that normally fits him having to go 1-2 sizes larger and be paper thin. I feel that while they are busy. etc. which is the nature of the business, it's no excuse because it's the nature of any business, they simply don't take or make the time to oversee some things that should be better handled with respect to us. I don't want more and I never asked for better, until now. It's not more that I am asking here form a greed standpoint, and better in a up-from-sub-par-quality standpoint. The bootlegs are another example. Let's cut some more corners. They are a huge sales boon for them and were at one time a great product, but are now over simplified and have horrible downloading issues, and are not edited well from what I have seen.

Ed bashes the President and the government at every show I've seen in recent memory, so maybe I'm just feeling this on my end with them and exercising it.

never mind the great posters, all shows available for immediate download with unique artwork, incredible 2 1/2 hour shows, ever changing set lists, free tickets to special concerts, first dibs for tickets to fan club members, cheap tickets including local charitable donations, camera's and recording devices welcome, etc, etc, etc

you want pearl jam to be anti-establishment (aka not selling their product) yet you still support the president... sounds kinda funny to me :rolleyes:
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Bubba wrote:
    Haha, I know, just fuckin with ya. We were hungry so we had to go on our little excursion for food.

As for lame things, I saw a lot of lame things this weekend!

I really, really, REALLY hope to have an authentic cheesesteak this time around........
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    I was just thinking about that loosely last night and this morning in some context...

Yes, I am.

However, I believe that I have had some feelings brewing here and there about some things for a little while, but they were nothing to speak of. I think once the album came out it was the last straw taste wise for me.
    While the album is of a personal preference type criticism, the merchandising I believe is another issue all together. While Pearl Jam is displayed, through their own design, as anti-establishment, and moreso in the past in light of their recent publicity push for the new album (eg. AOL Sessions for one) I believe that they are establishment. I think the fact that they sell merchandise, to the delight of the fans or not, is establishment. I think that the selling of sub-par quality materials and sizing at the Canadian/NA shows, and now continuing on this tour shows that they do not have approval or don't want it on theit items, and are willing to take the fans money. That is not "Pearl Jam" as I always had the ideal of them in my head in the past. In perspective, and growing up as fans of others themselves, they would not like their merchandise either, and I couldn't see Ed plunking down $28 to buy a 2 shirt that normally fits him having to go 1-2 sizes larger and be paper thin. I see that Eddie's woman was wearing the limited hoodie at Wrigley Field. It's great quality when it's free I'm sure, but not otherwise. I feel that while they are busy. etc. which is the nature of the business, it's no excuse because it's the nature of any business, they simply don't take or make the time to oversee some things that should be better handled with respect to us. I don't want more and I never asked for better, until now. It's not more that I am asking here form a greed standpoint, and better in a up-from-sub-par-quality standpoint. The bootlegs are another example. Let's cut some more corners. They are a huge sales boon for them and were at one time a great product, but are now over simplified and have horrible downloading issues, and are not edited well from what I have seen.

Ed bashes the President and the government at every show I've seen in recent memory, so maybe I'm just feeling this on my end with them and exercising it.

can i have your boots? ;)
    fanch75 wrote:
    I really, really, REALLY hope to have an authentic cheesesteak this time around........

"let me get a wiz wit"

i love those damn things
  • Barely AliveBarely Alive Posts: 1,271
    my2hands wrote:
    never mind the great posters, all shows available for immediate download with unique artwork, incredible 2 1/2 hour shows, ever changing set lists, free tickets to special concerts, first dibs for tickets to fan club members, cheap tickets including local charitable donations, camera's and recording devices welcome, etc, etc, etc

you want pearl jam to be anti-establishment (aka not selling their product) yet you still support the president... sounds kinda funny to me :rolleyes:

Where did I say anywhere in there that I support the President? If I do or not is irrelevant to what I said. Ed's a USA fan but has criticisms on how it's being run. I'm a PJ fan with comparative/synonomous feelings. I also never said that I wanted them to be anti-establishment. Please read it again before you put words in my mouth or misquote me.

Free tickets to special concerts just happened twice ( to my knowledge IP and Letterman) in how many years/shows. I hardly think that counts as a basis for comparison considering that.

As for the other things you listed, that is all true but you missed my point- The quality is going down instead of staying the same. If they want to be establishment then they should stay on top of it. The business plan is shaky right now.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    my2hands wrote:

i think that statement has nothing to do with the president...i know you are just trying to push my buttons but it wont work!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
    my2hands wrote:
    "let me get a wiz wit"

i love those damn things

what is that?

i asked earlier but none of the local folk answered. i think they enjoyed laughing at my ignorance.
    fanch75 wrote:
    what is that?

i asked earlier but none of the local folk answered. i think they enjoyed laughing at my ignorance.
    wiz witout for me :D

i had mine last week so i should be good till memorial day. mmm but i would love to have a cheesesteak hoagie right now. with ranch dressing. mmmm!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    fanch75 wrote:
    what is that?

cheesesteak with cheese whiz and onions.. whiz wit :D
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    thatgirl wrote:
    wiz witout for me :D

i had mine last week so i should be good till memorial day. mmm but i would love to have a cheesesteak hoagie right now. with ranch dressing. mmmm!

FUCK! STILL no one will answer my question! And, you all didn't tell me about the lasers either! What else are you hiding from me?

I thought ya'll were cool. I'm starting to not trust you. :D
    fanch75 wrote:
    FUCK! STILL no one will answer my question! And, you all didn't tell me about the lasers either! What else are you hiding from me?

I thought ya'll were cool. I'm starting to not trust you. :D
    did anyone tell you about the bubble machine yet?
    chromiam wrote:
    cheesesteak with cheese whiz and onions.. whiz wit :D

thanks Mike!

who said the "quote of the week"? Sounds like something I'd say.
    fanch75 wrote:
    thanks Mike!

who said the "quote of the week"? Sounds like something I'd say.
    im thinking sean sd it since his hormones were ragin this weekend
    fanch75 wrote:
    what is that?

"wiz" is cheese wiz (what makes a philly steak a philly steak) of course you could go provolone, american, etc... the "wit" (or with) is fried onions...you are saying you want your steak "wit" onions or "witout" onions

wiz wit is the only way to fly baby! some cherry peppers and ketchup and mustard and you are in heaven

the best trick is standing and eating those damn things...the grease and cheese will drip on your shoes, so you have to lean forward to eat the things :)
    thatgirl wrote:
    did anyone tell you about the bubble machine yet?

why ask? you won't tell me anyway.

edit: in case it's not clear, i'm joking about all of this supposed "anger" :)
    thatgirl wrote:
    i think that statement has nothing to do with the president...i know you are just trying to push my buttons but it wont work!

i am not trying to push anyones buttons...just tired of people complaining about the band, while at the same time they probably will go to 9 shows, buy 20 boots, 3 t-shirts, and the DVD...

i just think these guys take good care of their fans, thats all... sticking up for my boys

if people wanna complain go buy a $300 "Stones" ticket and see the same set list from 1985 :cool:
    fanch75 wrote:
    why ask? you won't tell me anyway.

edit: in case it's not clear, i'm joking about all of this supposed "anger" :)
    the bubble machine was far out.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    will there be tofu at the tailgate? :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    thatgirl wrote:

You are correct! That was BA and I do believe he was speaking about that pirate hooker Maya. :)
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    grace6697 wrote:

yes and a colored disco ball... along with bacon cheeseburgers and cheesedogs :D

Yes the quote is sean but I'm not sure he was talking about maya... the asteriks are just place holders not necessarily the correct number of letters ;)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    my2hands wrote:
    i am not trying to push anyones buttons...just tired of people complaining about the band, while at the same time they probably will go to 9 shows, buy 20 boots, 3 t-shirts, and the DVD...

i just think these guys take good care of their fans, thats all... sticking up for my boys

if people wanna complain go buy a $300 "Stones" ticket and see the same set list from 1985 :cool:
    Well, since you didn't acknowledge my reply:

They do take good care, except for some recent quality issues that had time to be resolved. It's a little Bait and Switchy in some regards as to how things were. They still offer a lot, but not at the same quality. That's the gripe.

Ok, that's all I have on that for today.
    grace6697 wrote:

get to work, hippy.
    thatgirl wrote:
    What did I say? Or rather, which quotable quote are we referring to here? I'll confirm or deny :D
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    my2hands wrote:

I'm against the charitable donations personally. I give over a grand a year already to charities of my choosing. God help me if I find out PJ gave the money from the Philly shows to the Free Mumia fund.

Also in my opinion the bootleg system has regressed. In 03, you ordered a bootleg, paid 13.99 for it plus shipping and got instanct access to mp3s and a physical cd a week later. Also the artwork was always there before these bootlegs - all you had to do was go on pearljam.com

First dibs on tix only applies to people who work in offices or have computer access as I had to buy tickets for several members this year so I really wouldn't call that an improvement.

I do like the ever changing setlists, but when you live 10 blocks from a venue and have been in a fan club 7 years, you really shouldn't be shut out of getting tickets. (Wachovia Center) Luckily I got front row from a good friend. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    fanch75 wrote:
    get to work, hippy.

i *am* working. we're having a major corporate dinner tonight with a guest performer! IT'S JEWEL.

luckily for me, i am her liason here at our organization. i will be shadowing her throughout the event and introducing her to people.

i thought that some of you might appreciate that serious "what the fuck?!" anecdote.
  • BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977

Yes, I am.

While the album is of a personal preference type criticism, the merchandising I believe is another issue all together. While Pearl Jam is displayed, through their own design, as anti-establishment, and moreso in the past in light of their recent publicity push for the new album (eg. AOL Sessions for one) I believe that they are establishment. I think the fact that they sell merchandise, to the delight of the fans or not, is establishment. I think that the selling of sub-par quality materials and sizing at the Canadian/NA shows, and now continuing on this tour shows that they do not have approval or don't want it on theit items, and are willing to take the fans money. That is not "Pearl Jam" as I always had the ideal of them in my head in the past. In perspective, and growing up as fans of others themselves, they would not like their merchandise either, and I couldn't see Ed plunking down $28 to buy a 2 shirt that normally fits him having to go 1-2 sizes larger and be paper thin. I see that Eddie's woman was wearing the limited hoodie at Wrigley Field. It's great quality when it's free I'm sure, but not otherwise. I feel that while they are busy. etc. which is the nature of the business, it's no excuse because it's the nature of any business, they simply don't take or make the time to oversee some things that should be better handled with respect to us. I don't want more and I never asked for better, until now. It's not more that I am asking here form a greed standpoint, and better in a up-from-sub-par-quality standpoint. The bootlegs are another example. Let's cut some more corners. They are a huge sales boon for them and were at one time a great product, but are now over simplified and have horrible downloading issues, and are not edited well from what I have seen.

Boy are you gonna be fun to go to 4 more shows with!! LOL, just kidding. I kinda agree with you on one point, the whole bashing of the president at every show. I just ignore it b/c I know its coming. Fortunately for me, I dont take my politcal views based on a band. Also, I do agree the shirts are of poor quality but as you know, it didnt stop me from purchasing 2 of them. As for the bootlegs, I havent had the problems that others are having and to tell ya the truth, listening to the '05 bootlegs that I downloaded I cant tell much of a quality difference between the sound of them and the '03 boots. Granted Id love to have professional packaging but its not something Im going to lose sleep over. I look at it this way, I could be a Stones or whoever fan, pay over $100 for a single ticket to a show, and then $50 for a tshirt and then not even have a boot of a show of theirs.

I think this falls under that old saying, "You cant please everyone!"
    grace6697 wrote:
    i *am* working. we're having a major corporate dinner tonight with a guest performer! IT'S JEWEL.

luckily for me, i am her liason here at our organization. i will be shadowing her throughout the event and introducing her to people.

i thought that some of you might appreciate that serious "what the fuck?!" anecdote.

You should ask her how she feels about Ed mocking her for selling her song to be in a commercial for a lady's razor at the San Diego show in 03.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Solat13 wrote:
    You should ask her how she feels about Ed mocking her for selling her song to be in a commercial for a lady's razor at the San Diego show in 03.

i just might. but for now, here are my pressing concerns.

i need to get jewel the following:
    1) sliced turkey
    2) parm cheese
    3) ketel one vodka
    4) a full length mirror.

god. this is dreadful.
    Bubba wrote:
    You are correct! That was BA and I do believe he was speaking about that pirate hooker Maya. :)
    yea, i was also called a dirty pirate hooker, amongst other things, by various people this weekend. such glorious times!
    grace6697 wrote:
    i just might. but for now, here are my pressing concerns.

4) a full length mirror.

god. this is dreadful.

Is that so she can see how she looks like when she yodels and adjust her outfit and hair accordingly?
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11