When did we all stop enjoying stuff?

stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I enjoy stuff. I'm quite a happy person really. Most of the time anyway. But like, there's an awful lot of people out there who are all about 'growing up'. And then when they get grown up, they don't like stuff anymore. And they're grumpy all the time cause they don't like their life.

Cause I was just sitting here thinking about something I wrote in another thread about stickers, and it got me to thinking about how people grow up and have to have their magazine perfect house, and all the stuff that goes in it, and their kids have to have everything that Apple throws out (or any other brand for that matter).

Point is, is we've forgotten how to enjoy things just for the sake of them. Like stickers. Getting a cool sticker and sticking it on your mirror or a locker or where-ever, and just enjoying it.

My sister is one of THOSE people. She is grumpy pretty much all the damn time. I swear I'm adopted, cause my brothers are both idiots, each in their own unique way. But so my sister hates my decorating sense. Like HATES it. I have stuff that I love in my house. Mostly it has it's own unique eclectic appeal, but sometimes there's stuff that doesn't fit but I love it, and so it's there. And she hates it. Because it's not magazine perfect. And her house isn't by any means, but she wants it to be. And I have to wonder, how come we aspire to that?

On top of my kitchen dresser, I have a bunch of Transformers ( I can't remember which ones exactly - but I'm sure my awesome husband would be able to tell you!), and I also have a Mexican chicken. His name is Jesus, pronounced Hey- soos, and he is the coolest thing! My daughter made him entirely out of coloured craft sticks, and he's quite big really - maybe nearly a foot tall I guess. Anyway, the point I'm making is, is that she comes into my house and silently laughs at the choice of decor because it's not her idea of perfect. But I love it. It's fun. It's mostly not overly messy, but I have kids so it is a lot. But where she has a statue of the eiffel tower, I have a clay owl and frog that my husband and I gave ourselves for Christmas and painted. Or Transformers, or posters, or awesome things my kids have made. You get the picture.

We as adults have forgotten how to just enjoy stuff and have fun. When we were teenagers we'd spend all day in our rooms and they were decorated with posters and THINGS. Things we had picked up that had sentimental value cause we had enjoyed something with family or friends and some little trinket or picture or ribbon or sticker had reminded us of that and so we kept it. And as adults, stuff like that gets chucked in a cupboard and forgotten about.
But shouldn't it be out where we can enjoy it? Why do we have to live up to a standard that someone else says it what we like? Can't we have whatever we want around us, and not be labelled childish?
I just kind of feel like if we don't conform to some weird standard of 'being an adult' we're considered not normal, or in the words of my sister, 'nerds'. But if we do become adults, we are cranky. We end up with a house that looks beautiful, but has no soul or life, lots of STUFF, but no enjoyment of it. We have kids that think they're entitled to everything, and get it, and we get grumpy at the mere suggestion that we should do what makes us happy and not what others think is right. We work all the time to afford the things that society says we need, and we never have time to appreciate any of it. And we can never just appreciate the moment because there is always the constant thought of how others will judge it.

Probably just complete half drunk ramblings, but I just wanted to say that I love my life. I love being a bit weird and I love my husband and my kids and my dogs and I love my house space. All our stuff in it might not make sense to anyone else, but it means stuff to us, and that's really all that matters right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    you know why it called life??
    cos its beautiful next to live and love....
    great post girl...sometimes need to live and just fuckin enjoy life,things..people,..
    just enjoy .....just live...just love.....
    there is always another day to do all...today..just fuckin enjoy..
    great post..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    And I forgot to add about colour. What is the deal with people and their white or off white walls? When did colour become a bad thing?

Paint your walls dammit people! Give me some purple and green and red. Live a little for goodness sake!!!!!!
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    In case you were wondering honey.....

Thundercracker
    Thrust
    Dirge
    Ramjet
    Energon Starscream
    Classics Starscream
    Ghost Starscream

And yes, they are all really cool! :mrgreen:

And amazingly your sister has never mentioned them!
    you know why it called life??
    cos its beautiful next to live and love....
    great post girl...sometimes need to live and just fuckin enjoy life,things..people,..
    just enjoy .....just live...just love.....
    there is always another day to do all...today..just fuckin enjoy..
    great post..

See?? The Greek gets it. We need to just be.
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    In case you were wondering honey.....

Thundercracker
    Thrust
    Dirge
    Ramjet
    Energon Starscream
    Classics Starscream
    Ghost Starscream

And yes, they are all really cool! :mrgreen:

And amazingly your sister has never mentioned them!

I knew you'd tell me what they were! That's why I love you. And she might not have mentioned them, but I've seen her eyeing them off. She's mentally doubting that we're related. And at least with that, I agree with her.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I agree this is a great post! :mrgreen: I'm an adult, and I have crappy things going on in my life sometimes (who doesn't?), but I try to be generally happy and find the small things in life to enjoy, and I love stickers. :lol: I always put a PJ sticker on my yearly planner in January when I start a new one, and I look at it nearly every day and it makes me smile. I also have posters up in my room, not in my closet. I have a sticker up on a lamp that says 'f*ck, and I thought I was weird'. I know the type of people you are talking about who are grumpy all the time and just hate life and it's a total drag. Life is to be enjoyed, including the folly.
    Great post!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i enjoy collecting dollar bills. :lol:

so much of the stuff out there is junk. i'm digital so i'm not getting stickers. i wouldn't be pissed if i got some, but honestly, i have no need for them. they would sit in my desk drawer and collect dust. sort of like the vinyl that i sold off. just sat on teh shelf collecting dust. speaking of junk....anyone need a poster or two or three. they are just sitting on the kitchen table collecting junk. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    And I forgot to add about colour. What is the deal with people and their white or off white walls? When did colour become a bad thing?

Paint your walls dammit people! Give me some purple and green and red. Live a little for goodness sake!!!!!!
    oh..shit..yeah!!!!

just fuckin yeah to that..

wtf with only white??????????????

purple and green and red. it is..great choices!!!!and Blue!!love the blue!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

I once had an apartment in New Orleans, and I painted all the walls in the apartment (one light green, one purple, and I put painted handprints in the bathroom). I had permission from the landlord. But when I moved out, he wouldn't give me my full deposit back because he said he had to repaint the apartment because nobody would want their place looking like that. :lol: :shock:
    my kitchen is white, and a few ceilings are white...everything else is colored. blue, orange, brown, green, some other color that i don't know what to call it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I get your post... great!

We are selling our house
    the realtors bring people through and are saying
    you got a lot of STUFF!

we do ... I love stuff ... it is an extension of me, my memories, my life,
    our keepsakes ...

they saw the kitchen frig with the magnet 'Eddie Shrine' :D
    got a couple of these :wtf: one lady thought he was a young JB
    I guess that made more sense than an old lady infatuation.

holidays ... lots of decorating and little lights about, like the life size stuffed sheep
    dressed up for Easter with a pair of green bunny ears thats about now :?

I have bathroom of beanie babies on display with a tropical water theme :lol:
    and there is the troll doll display in the guest room
    and the 5 lava lamps in our bedroom ... love stuff!!

I am weird but those who love me think it wonderful, gotta stay true
    to oneself

I think if we are going to sell though I'll have to start boxing this suff up ... it is a distraction :shock:
    maybe even a hazard :lol:
    pandora wrote:
    you got a lot of STUFF!

hoarding18.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    EmBleve wrote:

I once had an apartment in New Orleans, and I painted all the walls in the apartment (one light green, one purple, and I put painted handprints in the bathroom). I had permission from the landlord. But when I moved out, he wouldn't give me my full deposit back because he said he had to repaint the apartment because nobody would want their place looking like that. :lol: :shock:

Well see...my sister is my landlord currently. Sucks to be me I know. well, not really, but you get what I'm saying. ANYWAY.... she won't let me paint the walls. And I swear it's driving me insane. Like freaking nuts. In my last house, I had a beautiful dark blue in the living room, and I had a huge wave painted straight onto the wall in the hall ( I particularly miss that one - she for sure won't let me paint it here!), and the kitchen was a bit darker than a Granny Smith apple green, with a deep purple wall behind the stove. All the timber trims in the house were the same purple. My bedroom was a lovely magenta with red string curtains and an ornamental pink chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The other hall was green with photos in both colour and black and white glued directly to the walls. The toilet was a different blue with a tree like a tree of life type one, painted in white onto the wall, with coloured leaves here and there, and the poem 'Desiderata' behind the door. I loved the colour in that house.

Colour makes people happy. I think people might just have forgotten how to just be happy. I'm very glad I haven't. :D
    81 wrote:
    i enjoy collecting dollar bills. :lol:

so much of the stuff out there is junk. i'm digital so i'm not getting stickers. i wouldn't be pissed if i got some, but honestly, i have no need for them. they would sit in my desk drawer and collect dust. sort of like the vinyl that i sold off. just sat on teh shelf collecting dust. speaking of junk....anyone need a poster or two or three. they are just sitting on the kitchen table collecting junk. :lol:

Sure! Send 'em to us, we'll put them up on the walls and irritate the crap out of my sister!!! :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    after being with someone for almost two decades who keeps a lot of things and likes a lot of junk/tacky decorations all over the place, I am very happy that I now have nothing hanging on any of my walls and no nick-nacks to speak of. The only things with 'stuff' my GF and I have are our bookshelves full of books, cd's, dvd's and collectibles from the bands that we like. we enjoy the fact that we have no clutter.

in fact, several people (mainly her sister and my dad's wife) are extremely disturbed when they visit and see nothing on the off-white walls, it drives them nuts and we just chuckle about it.
    EmBleve wrote:

Well see...my sister is my landlord currently. Sucks to be me I know. well, not really, but you get what I'm saying. ANYWAY.... she won't let me paint the walls. And I swear it's driving me insane. Like freaking nuts. In my last house, I had a beautiful dark blue in the living room, and I had a huge wave painted straight onto the wall in the hall ( I particularly miss that one - she for sure won't let me paint it here!), and the kitchen was a bit darker than a Granny Smith apple green, with a deep purple wall behind the stove. All the timber trims in the house were the same purple. My bedroom was a lovely magenta with red string curtains and an ornamental pink chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The other hall was green with photos in both colour and black and white glued directly to the walls. The toilet was a different blue with a tree like a tree of life type one, painted in white onto the wall, with coloured leaves here and there, and the poem 'Desiderata' behind the door. I loved the colour in that house.

Colour makes people happy. I think people might just have forgotten how to just be happy. I'm very glad I haven't. :D
    Your last place sounds beautiful! Color does makes people happy, and yes it seems that some people have forgotten how to just be happy. I'm glad you haven't, too. :mrgreen: It does suck that she won't let you paint your place. Don't lose that verve!! ;)
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    after being with someone for almost two decades who keeps a lot of things and likes a lot of junk/tacky decorations all over the place, I am very happy that I now have nothing hanging on any of my walls and no nick-nacks to speak of. The only things with 'stuff' my GF and I have are our bookshelves full of books, cd's, dvd's and collectibles from the bands that we like. we enjoy the fact that we have no clutter.

in fact, several people (mainly her sister and my dad's wife) are extremely disturbed when they visit and see nothing on the off-white walls, it drives them nuts and we just chuckle about it.

But see?? That's what I'm talking about. How come the stuff was junk? How come you say it's tacky? Tacky is only an opinion. To others it might have some wonderful association. And if you love no stuff, good on you. Just saying, society seems to like to dictate what we should and shouldn't like as adults. When you're a kid no one says you shouldn't put that on your wall, you shouldn't decorate with that, cause we all understand you have to let a person grow their own sense of style and self. How come that stops when we become an adult?
    my ex step mom has like 100 frogs in her living room. it's tacky. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Hahaha. Are they tree frogs? Tree frogs are awesome.
    Sarah,i trully believe we need this thread here..thanks :)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

But see?? That's what I'm talking about. How come the stuff was junk? How come you say it's tacky? Tacky is only an opinion. To others it might have some wonderful association. And if you love no stuff, good on you. Just saying, society seems to like to dictate what we should and shouldn't like as adults. When you're a kid no one says you shouldn't put that on your wall, you shouldn't decorate with that, cause we all understand you have to let a person grow their own sense of style and self. How come that stops when we become an adult?

I see your point and I agree with you, a person should be free to decorate the way they want, that makes them happy. But when you live with someone, sometimes it is tough for both to agree. I say tacky, she would say treasure. My problem was that I was not allowed to do things the way I wanted, she got to have whatever she wanted, which included piles of clutter, that I was never allowed to organize or get rid of. Plus she had so many decorations it felt like the walls were going to cave in, just way too much. I guess decorating and organizing were things we did not agree on (along with many other things).

But now I am lucky that the person I am with shares my minimalistic tastes and we enjoy that. We both have our things that are on shelves, and some are similar to your transformers, we just like to keep things very spartan. We get color from the huge window that overlooks trees and a creek.

and by the way, seeing some people's "perfect" homes kind of freaks me out
    81 wrote:

i don't remember, but there were way to many of them. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Sarah,i trully believe we need this thread here..thanks :)

You are very welcome. I think we need it here too. And I vote that we ask Ten Club to paint their club room, or whatever the place they run this from is called, to an awesome bright colour, and maybe commission me to paint a huge wave on the wall of it too!!! :D
  • BandogBandog Posts: 44
    We have quite a mix in my house. We have these shelves like things that surround our stair case and they are decorated with some of the usual pictures and the like, but the top shelf has two misfits dolls and my bottle of Faithful Ale. I also have a sweet Black Crowes poster in the hallway from the 05 San Fran shows.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I see your point and I agree with you, a person should be free to decorate the way they want, that makes them happy. But when you live with someone, sometimes it is tough for both to agree. I say tacky, she would say treasure. My problem was that I was not allowed to do things the way I wanted, she got to have whatever she wanted, which included piles of clutter, that I was never allowed to organize or get rid of. Plus she had so many decorations it felt like the walls were going to cave in, just way too much. I guess decorating and organizing were things we did not agree on (along with many other things).

But now I am lucky that the person I am with shares my minimalistic tastes and we enjoy that. We both have our things that are on shelves, and some are similar to your transformers, we just like to keep things very spartan. We get color from the huge window that overlooks trees and a creek.

and by the way, seeing some people's "perfect" homes kind of freaks me out

Well see now, that's just not on. You have to have stuff, but you have to share stuff too!!! I never had Transformers before my very Spunky American husband lived here. But now I do. :D:D So I see your point. It's all good. And by the way, trees are very awesome too. I wish I could have big trees in my back yard. They are little cause it's a brand new house in a brand new development.
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i don't remember, but there were way to many of them. :?

Maybe she could paint them all different colours and make a rainbow out of them??? Or like, blutack them to the walls and paint a tree or two on the walls and have them climbing in the tree? THAT would be very awesome. :D
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I enjoy stuff. :) And colours!

The walls in my flat are everything but white. :lol: Even the kitchen, the only place to have walls of just one colour, isn't white. (Don't ask me what colour it is, though. I'm not sure. :P ) One of the joys (and occasional horrors) of living in a pretty old flat that no one really felt like re-doing that much is wallpaper! Ornamental wallpaper, too. I only really would like to change it in the bathroom (an.. Interesting.. Shade of green..) and hall (weird brown with flowers) but can't afford it at the moment, so whatever. :mrgreen:

I still have posters on my walls, not as many as I used to have in my room though. No Pearl Jam, but there's an Into the Wild poster in the kitchen and a poster for A Single Man in the sitting room. I still haven't decided which one to put up in my bedroom, Marilyn Monroe is a runner up. :D

Every lodging of mine, from my bedrooms to my own flats, has been decorated pretty mish-mashingly. All the furniture I've ever had I've gotten/inherited from someone. Most of the stuff in my current place belongs to my landlady, luckily what's mine included my two most beloved pieces of furniture. (An armchair and a big, wooden dresser-something sorta thing.) :D It could be desribed as a bit of a chaos, but I don't care, I think it's cosy. I also like to think that I make it work somehow. :lol:

I'm glad I don't personally know (I don't think so anyway) those kind of people who are grumpy and looking to be perfect and all that.. Maybe it's to do with my age, we're not "all grown up" yet. But I do sometimes worry about the kids of today, so many of them get dressed like little adults.. They don't play the same way I used to when I was younger.. We'd be outside, crawling on all fours through sun, rain and snow. As much as some grown-ups need to remember to be a little "childish" sometimes, kids should also be able to be kids!

I feel I've forgotten what I was going to say, too distracted by singing along with the music I'm listening to. :mrgreen: So I may come back and ramble on some more later. ;)

And I agree, this is a good thread to have.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733
    81 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    you got a lot of STUFF!

hoarding18.jpg
    Is there beer in the fridge? :lol:
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    81 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    you got a lot of STUFF!

hoarding18.jpg

To me thats alot of "junk" not "stuff"... :lol:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:
    81 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    you got a lot of STUFF!

hoarding18.jpg

To me thats alot of "junk" not "stuff"... :lol:
    :lol::lol: