The power of the word "NO"

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
If only I could learn to use this word.
Too often do I get pressured to go to places on Friday/Saturday nights by my friend, places which I do not like going to.
I feel bad saying NO, I get pressured and made to feel bad or like I will lose the friendship.
It put unwanted pressure on me every weekend, he usually drags me along to nightclubs which I do not like, a) the people there are gym junky tough guys and the girls out of my league and different to what I am b) they are overly dressy, I ain't got clothes like that c) I don't enjoy house and rnb music

This past Saturday night he said ''we are going to ______ next Sat night", looking up the photo's of this venue on Facebook already makes me dread it. Pressure and anxiety leading up to next weekend.

What are some strategies to get out of situations like this without sounding like an asshole who does not want to socialize with someone.

And the same applies at work, being asked to get on a ladder to swap over lights when it isn't my job to do so, then getting zapped because there was a fault in the wiring.

Or being refused annual leave I am entitled to and just accepting my boss's decision.

I need to know how to say NOOOO!

I am such a mess.
Too nice and outcast from ''normal'' social scenes.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    People who want you to go to places that you "dread", I would not define them as friends. Find different friends. Their are plenty people who dread nighclubs.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    AzWicker wrote:
    People who want you to go to places that you "dread", I would not define them as friends. Find different friends. Their are plenty people who dread nighclubs.

I find it hard to meet people.
    I have one friend who is likeminded and into the same thing I am, we catch up here and there.
    Apart from him, the rest (not really friends anymore) are into scenes I dislike.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The question is how really alike are the two of you? You have to realize Thoughts_Arrive that people grow and sometimes branch off like a river flowing to unique places with a common past, but no future. You sound like someone that isn't into the physical trappings of life e.g. looks that will fade, scantly dressed women, anything commonplace and banal. Trace back to how you made this friend and reevaluate what the relationship means to you both now. Something someone should be constantly doing in all relationships.

Best way to handle the situation IMHO would be to tell them the truth about your interests and that you don't like the clubs. If they're you're friend they'll find other things to do with you socially, and if not then you weren't meant to keep hanging out. Like people getting a divorce, or death...it's not good or bad life, it's just life and your flow with it or against it. Unlike Facebook, life was not designed so everyone you meet should know you your whole life.

I have one close friend and he lives 2 states away. I have learned the value of quality vs. quantity. Knowing and loving yourself in a healthy manner helps too. Means you can love being by yourself and having alone time. Better to be alone then suffer the company of fools.

Peace & best of luck my friend.

Shannon
    Love ain’t love until you give it up
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    My solution was getting married and having two kids - no one expects you to do anything :lol:
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    This friend shouldn't expect you to only do the things he wants to do, I don't think that's fair. I think if you start doing things that interest YOU more, you'll probably find that you'll meet more people like yourself. You shouldn't think of any women being 'out of your league'. You seem like a really nice person and if any woman says that to you, she's a jerk. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited October 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
    Trace back to how you made this friend and reevaluate what the relationship means to you both now. Something someone should be constantly doing in all relationships.
    Shannon

We've known each other our whole lives, my parents and his parents are friends, and my aunty and uncle are friends to his parents. :?

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
    My solution was getting married and having two kids - no one expects you to do anything :lol:

Haha I wish.
    Loulou wrote:
    This friend shouldn't expect you to only do the things he wants to do, I don't think that's fair. I think if you start doing things that interest YOU more, you'll probably find that you'll meet more people like yourself. You shouldn't think of any women being 'out of your league'. You seem like a really nice person and if any woman says that to you, she's a jerk. ;)

Thank you. :)
    DinghyDog wrote:
    I agree with Iamwishingyouawell. Tell your friend that you not really interested in going clubbing. Ask if he wants to catch up with you to do something else (have an offer ready like going out for coffee or to play soccer or what ever it is that might be of interest to you). If he doesn't, he doesn't. You might find the friendship just fades out, but don't worry too much, you will find others. You sound like the kind of person I'd like to hang out with, and I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, and it is a great place with many opportunities to do the things you want. Be brave and go out by yourself to see a band or get involved in some hobby or club you might enjoy and you will meet like minded people who will become your friend. Making friends is a bit like getting pretty hair by using Pantene, it won't happen over night, but it will happen.

Thank you. ;)
    It is hard to find like minded artistic people who have some intelligence.
    I find conversation with your "normal cool crowd" type of people boring and depressing, "you go gym" "you into hotted up cars" or some sexist remark like "I wanna fuck that bitch up the ass".
    Better to be alone than with fools.
    Melbourne is becoming a violent shit hole btw.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    I used to suffer from the inability to say no, also. That meant that I was always asked to do all the crappy tasks at my job, would go with friends to places that were not really me, and hang out with people who were mind-numbingly boring (to me, at least). I ended up angry and resentful. One day I had enough. Life is too short to be miserable. I wasn't a jerk about it, but I did start telling people, "I think I'll pass." Life is much better. You are too cool a person to be unhappy. Just say no. :D
    ELITIST FUK
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Learn to be honest with your friends. Not an easy thing to do but ohhhhhh, the weight of unease will be lifted. When I first started saying "no" I was adding excuses onto it. Like, No sorry I can't, I'll be doing something with my family or I already made plans blah blah blah. After a while I got sick of the white lies and just said , no I just don't want to. Explain once, thats all it should take.. try to say it in a way where they won't feel bad....with the clubs it should be easy. You can list the things you mentioned above, not into the music, not really your crowd. Tell your friend you just are not into it.

I have plenty of friends that I used to do so many things with that I just didn't want to, but we are all still friends, maybe see each other a little less but thats ok. I feel much better about staying in on Friday night and doing my laundry. And I found some new friends along the way.

Real friends will understand. It can be hard to have faith in that, but try!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    What makes it hard is my friend has a few friends and I am the one he sees most often, kinda feel bad saying no and leaving him alone home, he seems down at times. But then again when he had a girlfriend he hardly ever called me. :?
    Even my work colleague told me that I don't know the word no and should use it when my boss refuses leave or makes me do dangerous jobs in the office.

I guess I am just too nice and too soft of a guy.

One asshole at my old workplace said to another asshole that I am a pushover and they'll get me to do it, I heard them.
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Learn to be honest with your friends. Not an easy thing to do but ohhhhhh, the weight of unease will be lifted. When I first started saying "no" I was adding excuses onto it. Like, No sorry I can't, I'll be doing something with my family or I already made plans blah blah blah. After a while I got sick of the white lies and just said , no I just don't want to. Explain once, thats all it should take.. try to say it in a way where they won't feel bad....with the clubs it should be easy. You can list the things you mentioned above, not into the music, not really your crowd. Tell your friend you just are not into it.

I have plenty of friends that I used to do so many things with that I just didn't want to, but we are all still friends, maybe see each other a little less but thats ok. I feel much better about staying in on Friday night and doing my laundry. And I found some new friends along the way.

Real friends will understand. It can be hard to have faith in that, but try!

He pressures me because he wants to find a girlfriend before it is too late (he is 28 soon).
    And says I will never meet anyone if I don't put myself out there at clubs.
    I've never liked the idea of "hunting" for a girlfriend at a club, can't even hear myself in there.
    And he is against internet dating sites, seeing he has had a few very bad experiences with psycho's.

Constant pressure in life, at work then on the weekends.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Can I have a hundred bucks?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:

Yes. :lol:
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    pjfan31 wrote:

Yes. :lol:

Sweet... love that you can't say no...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    didn't you start this exact same thread a while back?
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    conman wrote:

whatever the answer is just say no....
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    conman wrote:

Maybe not.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Just say no one time and you will see how easy that is.
    Then be choosy with it.

This is a problem for the young, most older people have learned to say no ...
    it is self preservation.

Along with your no comes an explanation as to why,
    then that should help to avoid having to say no again for the same reason
    to the same person.

Your friend needs you though for the nightclubing, perhaps a compromise can be made.

You just never know ...
    there may be a certain someone who is being dragged there also, just like you
    and you find each other ...

I am a hopeless romantic. :D

Trust in your path and roll with it, one day you'll look back and see how it fits,
    the good and the not so good.
    Everytime I go clubbing I get depressed, the music sucks, the girls are not interesting, overly materialistic and stuck up and end up being wooed by assholes.
    Plus nightclubs attract thugs and fights occur.
    Every time I've gone to a rock place everyone is friendly, you bump into someone both apologies.
    At clubs you get your head kicked in.
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    If you still want to be friends with this person then I think you should just start suggesting other alternative things that you could do together that you would both enjoy.

Eg. If your friend tells you that you're going to a club, then just be honest and say that you really don't enjoy going to clubs and you would rather do A, B or C instead (eg. go and see a band, go to the movies, have a drink at a pub instead). You don't need to feel guilty, and if you can find things that you both enjoy, then surely this would be better than just going to wherever your friend wants to go. If you don't speak up for yourself and he is more of a dominant person, then he will just continue to invite you out to places where you don't feel comfortable.

At work as well, if you are being asked to do something that isn't your responsibility and is dangerous, then please speak up for yourself. Eg. "I'm actually not responsible for that, Pete the electrician is, can I give him a call for you/would you like his number?"

With your annual leave, perhaps you could have a read through your contract and contact somewhere like Fair Work Australia for advice (http://www.fwa.gov.au/). Or join a union if you are having ongoing problems at work, then you would have somewhere to turn to for advice if needed.

Lastly, you sound like a nice and genuine person. Not everyone is a naturally dominant person, so don't feel like you have to change who you are. Just try and speak up for yourself if people aren't treating you well though!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
    -Emma- wrote:
    If you still want to be friends with this person then I think you should just start suggesting other alternative things that you could do together that you would both enjoy.

Eg. If your friend tells you that you're going to a club, then just be honest and say that you really don't enjoy going to clubs and you would rather do A, B or C instead (eg. go and see a band, go to the movies, have a drink at a pub instead). You don't need to feel guilty, and if you can find things that you both enjoy, then surely this would be better than just going to wherever your friend wants to go. If you don't speak up for yourself and he is more of a dominant person, then he will just continue to invite you out to places where you don't feel comfortable.

At work as well, if you are being asked to do something that isn't your responsibility and is dangerous, then please speak up for yourself. Eg. "I'm actually not responsible for that, Pete the electrician is, can I give him a call for you/would you like his number?"

With your annual leave, perhaps you could have a read through your contract and contact somewhere like Fair Work Australia for advice (http://www.fwa.gov.au/). Or join a union if you are having ongoing problems at work, then you would have somewhere to turn to for advice if needed.

Lastly, you sound like a nice and genuine person. Not everyone is a naturally dominant person, so don't feel like you have to change who you are. Just try and speak up for yourself if people aren't treating you well though!

Thank you.
    With the work thing, leave always get knocked back, I only ever ask for one day off, then it gets questioned, why do you need the day off, I always have to explain why then the boss tells me I don't need days off for what I want days off for (medical appointments or car servicing). Yet others in the office take weeks off for holidays. It's bullshit, looking to change career's anyways.
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited October 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
    DinghyDog wrote:
    DinghyDog wrote:
    I agree with Iamwishingyouawell. Tell your friend that you not really interested in going clubbing. Ask if he wants to catch up with you to do something else (have an offer ready like going out for coffee or to play soccer or what ever it is that might be of interest to you). If he doesn't, he doesn't. You might find the friendship just fades out, but don't worry too much, you will find others. You sound like the kind of person I'd like to hang out with, and I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, and it is a great place with many opportunities to do the things you want. Be brave and go out by yourself to see a band or get involved in some hobby or club you might enjoy and you will meet like minded people who will become your friend. Making friends is a bit like getting pretty hair by using Pantene, it won't happen over night, but it will happen.

Thank you. ;)
    It is hard to find like minded artistic people who have some intelligence.
    I find conversation with your "normal cool crowd" type of people boring and depressing, "you go gym" "you into hotted up cars" or some sexist remark like "I wanna fuck that bitch up the ass".
    Better to be alone than with fools.
    Melbourne is becoming a violent shit hole btw.

Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd. Go see a local band play at a pub and enjoy yourself. What kind of music do you like?

Is this guy of any interest to you? He's in Melbourne and plays around the place quite regularly...
    http://soundcloud.com/chasingghosts

I don't hang out with crowds, I end up surrounded by clubbing types, don't know them.
    I've drifted off from people I used to hang with back 10 years ago, people who were friends, they've stayed with the clubbing and gone into gym and I'm not into that so I never go out with them, they've pretty much turned their backs on me for me not going clubbing with them. I was young then, I now am not prepared to fake having a good time out.

I am more into punk rock and punk rock inspired rock.
    It's okay the songs, more into something heavier but.