Broad sword vs wooden ceiling fan blade

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I now think I can imagine what it would feel like to get hit by a big old sword on a battlefield. :shock:

The ceiling fan (at full speed) whacked me in the forehead today. Ouch. :cry:

Got me some stitches today... :?

I think I may have to change my hairstyle to one with bangs. (!) :D

What injuries have you gotten that required stitches?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I imagine that would hurt!

When my sister and I were kids, we used to throw balled-up socks into the arc of the blades, just to watch them get whacked across the room :lol:
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    The worst part was all the blood. :wtf:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Crap, that had to hurt! I gotta know, how exactly did that happen?

I'm lucky though, in my 30 years I've never needed stitches or had any broken bones or major injuries at all. Knock on wood.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    I haven't either! I have a pretty good stomach to stuff like blood etc, but I watched someone getting stitches once and passed out in the ER. I don't think I'd handle them well LOL

I hope your ok, that's quite the hit. OUCH!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
    Crap, that had to hurt! I gotta know, how exactly did that happen?

I'm lucky though, in my 30 years I've never needed stitches or had any broken bones or major injuries at all. Knock on wood.

I'm fine now but the deepness of the cut scared me a bit when I saw it and there was a lot of blood. :?

I was cleaning the top of the wall (near the ceiling) in my son's room because we were re-arranging it and I was standing on his bed. When I went to get off of the bed, I got off on the side by the center of the room (and the God-damn fan!). It's my own fault for forgetting it was on full blast... sometimes I'm not entirely graceful... ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Ouch,that had to hurt.We don't have those fan's here,don't need them but I had one in hotel rooms on holiday,never realised they were so lethal.

I fell of a tree when I was a child,a branch took half my knee with it.I was terrified to go home as I knew the wrath of my mother would be worse than the fall.
    Right on cue she freaked out when I got in which brought dad running,he was furious as it was a Saturday and there was no way we were calling a doctor out for my stupidity and my parents didn't drive to take me to the hospital.
    Dad stitched my knee with thread and a needle he had sterilised with whisky and froze my knee with ice before hand,then bandaged my knee up.
    Mum took me to the doctors on the Monday morning and he said there was no more he would recommend be done as dad did no more than what the hospital would have done.I still have the scar. :?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    Stargirl69, your experience sounds brutal. Stitches at home with thread! Yikes! :shock:

The nurse that stitched me up did a great job but the washing out of the wound was really painful. :oops:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    back in.... 2007 maybe? i had to get stitches 3 times on the same arm all within maybe 5 months.

I was with the ex then and she finally decided she wanted to get her dog and bring him to live with us after he stayed with someone for almost a year. At one point he got into it with one of my dogs and i thought my pooch was going to kill her pooch so i tried breaking them up and got bit. 3 stitches on the wrist.

a few months later i bit the dust going down the steps in the afternoon when i realized i was sleeping through the football game. 5 sititches on my elbow.

a month later, i went to push open the back door to let the dogs out and had my hand on the center of the
    glass pane. the piece that holds the storm door open was at the halfway point without me knowing, and
    when it hit that my whole arm went through the window. i had a 4 inch long, 2 inch wide piece of glass
    that broke off deep in my tricep, and they had to dig it out. 5 stitches on the outside, and 5 stitches deep
    inside my arm.

its my Frankenstein arm. :?

I'm glad your okay Justam, i'm sure all the blood was scary.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    Wow! Thanks for the stories wolf.
    That arm has survived a lot. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    justam wrote:
    The worst part was all the blood. :wtf:

OUCH

cuts on the head and forehead will produce copious amounts of blood because of the thin skin

cold comfort, i'm sure
    and though not as bad as a broad sword
    still no damn fun
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    Back when i was about 7 i was over at a friends house and he slammed his front door on my fingers, that hurt like hell I was bleeding. I think i got stitches, I do remember going to the hospital though.

Couple work related injuries involving stitches. Dropped a wrought iron table on my toes. Also when i worked at Kmart i was in the hardware dept. we sold exacto knives. I was straightening the dept. one time and the exacto knives were hanging on a hook. For some reason one of the packages was partially opened and i didn';t know it and sliced my finger. That would not stop bleeding.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Fingers and toes in your case. Yikes! :?

I'm glad you didn't lose any. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    damn justam that hurt like a bastard i'm sure. the deal is heads bleed a lot. even a relatively small cut or gouge on the head flow red nicely.

had a swing chain at school come down and land on top of my head in 6th grade. the lights went out for awhile.
    i was sitting/leaning back in my swing. my brother next to me threw his swing over top bar to get it up higher off the ground. the thing came crashing down on my skull

when i came to i was still in my swing, blood everywhere even in my socks
    my entire shirt and jacket were bloody, my jeans bloody and my shoes
    my face dripping red

many other accidents thru the years required stitches

it's good though that you are having humor with your pain
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    my dad stabbed me in the forearm with a filet knife. that hurt. blood everywhere. stitches required.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    justam wrote:

I've had stiches a shit ton of times but the two funniest were when I was six my brother hit me in the forehead with a shovel because I was being an ass. Bled like crazy. :lol:

The other funny one was in 2007 and someone played a prank on me at work. They took a garbage twist tie and tied the phone cord extremely close to the actual phone so when I picked up the receiver the whole phone came up to my ear. I had to talk to my customer for 15 minutes with the whole desk phone up to my ear. :lol: I was a little pissed at the end of the call and while trying to cut the twist tie off with a razor blade I sliced my hand. :lol: I can laugh about it now because the guy that did it to me I ended up firing 10 months later. :lol::lol::lol:
    edited April 2012
    when i was a child i was playing and hiding from parents inside a folded out bed fold up couch. mom decided to fold it up whilst little chaddy was fucking around inside the thing. needless to say mom about cut my entire thumb off with the folding of the bed/couch.

stitches
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2012
    owie...sounds like that mustve hurt, justam. glad you're okay

admit it's off topic...but when my kids were 4 & 6 a bird flew into our apartment. we tried shooing it back out the doors & windows to no avail. then it perched itself on top one of the blades of the ceiling fan...so i turned the fan on low hoping the bird would fly out. nope, birdy just stood on that fan spinning around in circles and wouldn't budge. it wasn't long before all of our neighbors came by to check it out....that bird literally spent hours spinning up on the fan. still bring up laughs when someone brings it up. :lol:
    Post edited by prism on
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Chadwick, your wounds sound so painful!! (Both emotionally as well as physically.) :shock:
    Brother hurts you first, then dad, then mom.. :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    prism wrote:
    owie...sounds like that mustve hurt, justam. glad you're okay

admit it's off topic...but when my kids were 4 & 6 a bird flew into our apartment. we tried shooing it back out the doors & windows to no avail. then it perched itself on top one of the blades of the ceiling fan...so i turned the fan on low hoping the bird would fly out. nope, birdy just stood on that fan spinning around in circles and wouldn't budge. it wasn't long before all of our neighbors came by to check it out....that bird literally spent hours spinning up on the fan. still bring up laughs when someone brings it up. :lol:

:D

Prism, that's a funny image!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    DS1119 wrote:
    justam wrote:

I've had stiches a shit ton of times but the two funniest were when I was six my brother hit me in the forehead with a shovel because I was being an ass. Bled like crazy. :lol:

The other funny one was in 2007 and someone played a prank on me at work. They took a garbage twist tie and tied the phone cord extremely close to the actual phone so when I picked up the receiver the whole phone came up to my ear. I had to talk to my customer for 15 minutes with the whole desk phone up to my ear. :lol: I was a little pissed at the end of the call and while trying to cut the twist tie off with a razor blade I sliced my hand. :lol: I can laugh about it now because the guy that did it to me I ended up firing 10 months later. :lol::lol::lol:

I'll bet your shovel injury hurt a lot. :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Chadwick, your wounds sound so painful!! (Both emotionally as well as physically.) :shock:
    not in that order

mom cut my thumb off before i could walk much
    6th grade was the swing chain head one
    dad stabbing me with filet knife...guessing i was 17-20

plus many other eventful moments required stitches or needed them and didn't get them

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    justam wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    justam wrote:

I'll bet your shovel injury hurt a lot. :?

I don't really remember but it probably did.
    edited April 2012
    chadwick wrote:
    justam wrote:
    not in that order

mom cut my thumb off before i could walk much
    6th grade was the swing chain head one
    dad stabbing me with filet knife...guessing i was 17-20

plus many other eventful moments required stitches or needed them and didn't get them

I think it sucks that people were so careless with your health when you were young. :x

A little boy deserves better! :geek:
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    just this passed summer my brother accidently ripped his nipple in half when he slammed his backyard gate and didn't realize the gate somehow got tangled up in his nipple ring.

yowie holy smokes, folks, did that ever hurt.
    what is worse is that he was completely drunk as a skunk and a stupid shit
    he grabbed a sewing needle, a lighter and some string. he sewed his nipple back together with a few stitches.
    he wasn't foolin anyone that was present
    it hurt and he knew it
    yet still went through with it

stupid shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I also busted my lip climbing on a metal hand railing at a church when i was 5 or 6 that required a few or five stitches.

Nothing like walking around with big ass nasty stitches on your lip.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel