Convince me to buy local

Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Price is exactly equal but- I can't spend my Paypal money at the local store.

Give me three good reasons to buy local as opposed to internet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    (1)buying local means your carbon footprint will be smaller because the goods you are buying are already where you can access them. buying on the internet means they will have to be shipped especially to you. (2)buying local also means you will be supporting local business.(3) human interaction is a good thing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    (1)buying local means your carbon footprint will be smaller because the goods you are buying are already where you can access them. buying on the internet means they will have to be shipped especially to you. (2)buying local also means you will be supporting local business.(3) human interaction is a good thing.
    yeah, that's spot on

also, why wait for delivery when you can go home and enjoy your goods right away.. instant gratification!
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    Ok- great social, eco and temporal reasons. Give me a few more economic reasons. Still not convinced. Amazon is looking good.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Ok- great social, eco and temporal reasons. Give me a few more economic reasons. Still not convinced. Amazon is looking good.

do you want to support your local community or not?.. thats what it comes down to. you said the price was exactly equal. so if you dont want to support your local community then youre just wasting our time. have a nice day. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Buy local… OR ELSE.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    If the price is equal, I don't see an argument here. (i.e. go local) Save your Paypal money for something that you have no other option than to buy elsewhere.
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Tenzing N. wrote:

do you want to support your local community or not?.. thats what it comes down to. you said the price was exactly equal. so if you dont want to support your local community then youre just wasting our time. have a nice day. :mrgreen:
    i concur.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    What if Amazon is local?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Corporations are bastards, pure any simple, anything that takes money away from them is a good thing even if you have to spend a little more at time. They are scum and deserve nothing :)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    marcos wrote:
    Corporations are bastards, pure any simple, anything that takes money away from them is a good thing even if you have to spend a little more at time. They are scum and deserve nothing :)

Where do you live that for local all you need to spend is 'a little more' and are you making claim to never buying from a corporation? If so good for you and how do you manage it as they are everywhere,even at times hidden from the initial packaging, labeling etc.

Around here to buy truly local is 3+ times more expensive for locally reared meat,grown veg etc.

But to buy local also means to buy from the local shop at the top of my street where nothing is actually local unless you lived in China :roll:

It is a minefield.

I consciously by local from the harbour fishmonger,craft and art fairs,farmer markets as often as I can but currently with the cost of things that can be very difficult as you need to actually have the money to afford it.

I'll stick to when I can afford to I shop truly local I do but when it is just not available in the area or far to expensive I will buy online or further a field.I feel no guilt over that.

People need to do what they can afford to do.Pure and simple.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    buy local because you are part of a community ... a community that supports each other is stronger and has the best chance of survival ... you step into that store and the owner will see that you are supporting him/her ... he/she in turn may one day support you ...

edit: cate - good to see you think reducing carbon footprint is a good thing ... :)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I say buy from who you're comfortable with. It's a free market and it's your money.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Price is exactly equal but- I can't spend my Paypal money at the local store.

Give me three good reasons to buy local as opposed to internet.
    you can get a paypal MC/Visa and use it local. I have one.

plus if the price is the same, why not buy it near you? as conman said- instant gratification.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Buy from whoever is cheaper. Money cares for no one.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    If the price is equal, I don't see an argument here. (i.e. go local) Save your Paypal money for something that you have no other option than to buy elsewhere.

winner- i'll use paypal funds for an item I have no choice but to buy online.

I will go today and purchase my item from the local store.

Thanks all.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    polaris_x wrote:
    edit: cate - good to see you think reducing carbon footprint is a good thing ... :)

To be fair, are there people who think reducing carbon footprint is a bad thing? :think: :P
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • 1.- fresh air
    2.- some walking
    3.- interacting with people
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eMMI wrote:
    To be fair, are there people who think reducing carbon footprint is a bad thing? :think: :P

:lol:

check out the global warming threads on the AMT ... :P
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    polaris_x wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

:lol:

check out the global warming threads on the AMT ... :P

:shock: :? :|

..no thanks. :P
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

These three points are what convinced me...

and even if you ahve to have it shipped, why not ask the local retailer if they can order it in for you so you can continue to support their business. Supporting a local business is much better for your community. Improving your community should be of some interest as it is where you reside and is something you can actually partake in.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,825
    Nami wrote:
    and time is money
    so save time and buy online-its only a matter of time before stores dissapear completely

Wait, there is the reason for buying local. Buy local so every town/city doesnt have the exact same stores and buy local to keep stores from disappearing altogether!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Unless there is a cheaper price online, or I can't find it local, I would always rather just go out and buy something. As has been mentioned, there is the instant gratification and no waiting. But also things can happen in shipping. Things get lost or damaged. I just ordered 4 CDs from Amazon, and of the 4 only only 1 didn't have to be sent back. One was the entirely wrong album, and two of the others were damaged. A crack in the case in one and in the other the CD had come loose from the retainer and been bouncing around inside getting scuffed up.

And if you ever order something like a Pearl Jam CD, or anything that comes in digipack style soft packaging, 9 times out of 10 for me it gets bent in some fashion.

When you buy in person you can inspect the goods (for the most part) before you buy them. And not have to deal with the bullshit of sending something back, e-mails back and forth, and then the extra wait.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Get_Right wrote:
    Nami wrote:
    and time is money
    so save time and buy online-its only a matter of time before stores dissapear completely

Wait, there is the reason for buying local. Buy local so every town/city doesnt have the exact same stores and buy local to keep stores from disappearing altogether!

Too late. big business has ruined it for everyone and in these hard times it only makes sense to look after yourself.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Tenzing N. wrote:

winner- i'll use paypal funds for an item I have no choice but to buy online.

I will go today and purchase my item from the local store.

Thanks all.

:thumbup:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Unless there is a cheaper price online, or I can't find it local, I would always rather just go out and buy something. As has been mentioned, there is the instant gratification and no waiting. But also things can happen in shipping. Things get lost or damaged. I just ordered 4 CDs from Amazon, and of the 4 only only 1 didn't have to be sent back. One was the entirely wrong album, and two of the others were damaged. A crack in the case in one and in the other the CD had come loose from the retainer and been bouncing around inside getting scuffed up.

And if you ever order something like a Pearl Jam CD, or anything that comes in digipack style soft packaging, 9 times out of 10 for me it gets bent in some fashion.

When you buy in person you can inspect the goods (for the most part) before you buy them. And not have to deal with the bullshit of sending something back, e-mails back and forth, and then the extra wait.

so you're the guy who still buys cds.
    www.myspace.com

I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen you make that, or a similar, comment. I get it, you don't buy CDs, but I'm all out of cookies.

I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen you make that, or a similar, comment. I get it, you don't buy CDs, but I'm all out of cookies.
    :?

well you're clearly confusing me with someone else.

you'd have a solid total of 10 cents because i think that was the first time i've made such a comment :lol:
    www.myspace.com

:?

you'd have a solid total of 10 cents because i think that was the first time i've made such a comment :lol:

That's possible, but somebody made that exact same comment to me a month or so ago, which is why I figured it was you, and have had it said to me in one way or another a dozen or so more times.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026

I still buy cd's too. I love it. It keeps my local shop in business and everyone wins. :mrgreen:

That's possible, but somebody made that exact same comment to me a month or so ago, which is why I figured it was you, and have had it said to me in one way or another a dozen or so more times.

wasn't me. but, rest assured, i will now bring it up as often as possible. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com