High School Reunions

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This year marks the tenth year since I graduated from high school. I made my mind up that I was not going to the reunion. However, a classmate contacted me directly wanting to know if I wanted to help plan. I agreed have lunch in order to start laying plans, still thinking that I could give my ideas and enjoy lunch without going to the reunion. Ok, fast forward to three weeks later. This “lunch” to plan a reunion has spiraled and is full of all the drama found in high school. Apparently, more people are in on the lunch and they want to Skype others who do not live in this area in on the lunch. The friend, who was one of my best friends in high school, has apparently had a falling out with one of the other girls and has deleted/blocked her from Facebook (OMG!!! :roll: ). I am thinking that this is insane. I have not replied to any of the messages since this is all going on and I think I will have a “family thing” the day of the lunch. We are approaching 30, are these people for real? I personally have more things going on in my personal life that is way more important than any of this stuff. I did not get involved in these high school “drama fest” when I was in high school and I do not plan to start ten years later. Anyway, I am just curious if anyone else went to their high school reunion. I do not really see the point since I still live in the same area and see some of my classmates when I run into them at the grocery store or my son’s school. Also, am I right? This is ridiculous, right?

(I would also like to send a special thanks out to the girl that included me in her FB messages. These drama filled messages make my day.... :x )
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    That's pretty hilarious. High school reunions in the day of social media. Why have a reunion, you can do it all on line! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    up, it's ridiculous. i've kept in touch with a few close friends from high school, but stayed the F away from the reunion b/c some people never grow up & i didn't want to be around that bs again.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I went to my 10 year reunion in 2009 and we had a good time. I graduated from a small private school with a class of only 51. I think about 15 of us showed up, had dinner and some drinks then a smaller group of us went out to a bar afterward. I'm glad I went, but understand those that do not want to attend. My brother skipped out on his last year and doesn't regret it (I don't think).
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    up, it's ridiculous. i've kept in touch with a few close friends from high school, but stayed the F away from the reunion b/c some people never grow up & i didn't want to be around that bs again.

same here!
    i left nothing there that i need
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
    adam42381 wrote:
    I went to my 10 year reunion in 2009 and we had a good time. I graduated from a small private school with a class of only 51. I think about 15 of us showed up, had dinner and some drinks then a smaller group of us went out to a bar afterward. I'm glad I went, but understand those that do not want to attend. My brother skipped out on his last year and doesn't regret it (I don't think).
    I understand this because my background was similar. Small private school, class of about 120. I didn't originally plan to go because I was such a weirdo in high school I didn't think anyone would remember me. It turned out people saw me more positively than I'd guessed. I had a lot of fun but then I noticed that the people there had grown up and gotten over all the petty bs. On the other hand, I'd never fault somebody who didn't want to go. It's not like you're missing a life-changing event. :lol: But it was kind of fun to see how people had changed, almost all for the better.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    If you wanted to have these people in your lives, you wouldn't have waited 10 years to see them. Forget the reunion and politely ask to be removed from the email strings. You don't need all that silly drama in your life!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    If you wanted to have these people in your lives, you wouldn't have waited 10 years to see them.
    Words of wisdom right here.
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    If you wanted to have these people in your lives, you wouldn't have waited 10 years to see them. Forget the reunion and politely ask to be removed from the email strings. You don't need all that silly drama in your life!

I agree, that is the way I see it. If they are so important to me or them, why have we waited ten years? I was friends with most everyone in high school, but I do not see any reason why my adult life needs that contact. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything, but I very serously doubt I would be friends with a lot of them if me now was the me in high school. I can see where it would be neat to catch up with everyone, but I think I will live if I miss it.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I agree, that is the way I see it. If they are so important to me or them, why have we waited ten years? I was friends with most everyone in high school, but I do not see any reason why my adult life needs that contact. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything, but I very serously doubt I would be friends with a lot of them if me now was the me in high school. I can see where it would be neat to catch up with everyone, but I think I will live if I miss it.

this is prety much how i feel. there are some i kind of would like to see how they are doing. check in with them but really don't want or need them in my life beyond that. more curious about how they are doing and what they are up to than really needing to see them or interact with them.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    no
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I keep in touch with a few friends from high school but I don't need to see the whole dam class. No thank you .
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    F high school reunions.

I'm a fairly non violent guy. But can take care of things if need be.
    I do anything I can to avoid a physical confrontation.
    This includes my HS reunions.

I am convinced I would go to jail if attended my reunion.

I didn't like 96% of the people then, so I doubt I would enjoy their company now.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    i left nothing there that i need

This ^
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    If you wanted to have these people in your lives, you wouldn't have waited 10 years to see them.

This ^

I could not think of anything more socially torturous than any kind of school reunion.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Words of wisdom right here.

:thumbup:
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    Mamasan23 wrote:

^ This.

Totally. This.

I am friends with a few people from HS on Facebook (I never see them, cus I went to high school in Florida and live in Alaska...but I do have them on Facebook and we chat there). But my high school class has had 3 reunions (10, 20 and 25) that I know of, and I have happily avoided all three of them.

And have not one regret that I did so. :lol:

I figure that via my friends on Facebook, just enough cool info has filtered back to some of the douchebags that I used to know (who have done absolutely nothing with their lives) to annoy them. And that's all I need to know. :twisted:
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I overheard a conversation recently.
    Two woman talking about people from school they keep in contact with on facebook,one woman had seen one of her facebook school friends in a mall,the other woman asked how she was,the first woman responded that she hadn't spoken to her as she is just a facebook friend not a real friend she would actually talk to. :wtf:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    I graduated in 1986 and never went back to see any of those snobby prick bastards. We didn't like each other back then so i'm not gonna act like i do now. although seeing all the bald guys and ladies with fat asses would be quite entertaining. i stayed in touch with a select few that i hung with but fuck the rest of them.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I overheard a conversation recently.
    Two woman talking about people from school they keep in contact with on facebook,one woman had seen one of her facebook school friends in a mall,the other woman asked how she was,the first woman responded that she hadn't spoken to her as she is just a facebook friend not a real friend she would actually talk to. :wtf:

:lol:

See? This is exactly what I mean.

Some people were douchebags in high school...and they are STILL douchebags 10 or 20 years later.

There are about a million things I'd rather do with my money (for starters, go to a frakkin' PJ show! :D )than fly back to Florida to hang around with people like this on a boring-ass cruise. Seriously, I'd rather chew a roll of tin foil than go on a cruise with people like this.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It's not snobby. It's what I was trying to say in a previous post. It can be fun to see what people have been doing. Lots of them turned out very unpredictably! But I don't think you'll regret it if you miss it.

But srsly, with things like Facebook, seems like you could have a reunion on line and and it wouldn't make much difference. :lol:
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    My 10 year high school reunion was last fall. Not many people I still keep in touch with really wanted to go. From reading the comments on the facebook group, those participating were still talking and acting like they did in high school. I know it turned a lot of people off from going. I live about 9 hours away, but would have tried to go if my friends were going, especially since all my family still lives there. It turns out I was in San Diego that week for work so couldn't have gone anyway. I saw the pictures on FB later and it doesn't look like a lot of people went. We had a class of around 350 and maybe 15 - 20 people showed up to the various events. Don't feel like I missed anything at all.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    the wolf wrote:
    F high school reunions.

I'm a fairly non violent guy. But can take care of things if need be.
    I do anything I can to avoid a physical confrontation.
    This includes my HS reunions.

I am convinced I would go to jail if attended my reunion.

I didn't like 96% of the people then, so I doubt I would enjoy their company now.

I agree....best to stay away! :?
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i hope i get invited to my high school reunion, just so i can tell them to FUCK OFF!
  • I was approached by two different people about helping plan our 10th year...and then again our 15th year...both times I told both of them I wanted no part and I did not intend to attend should they even somehow manage to arrange this shindig. Never happened and never will. I don't facebook but I kept up with anybody in my class I care to keep up with anyway so whats the point. I was on the outskirts when the 10th year was supposedly in planning and frequently talk to one of those who asked me to help and it was pretty much the same drama and silliness as always. Nope...count me out
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I went to my 10 year in 2010 and I actually didn't have that bad of a time. They rented out the upstairs of a bar so it was better than a function hall or something. I brought my wife and I said hi to the people I remembered and was surprised by some of the people I never even talked to came up and were cordial.

Another thing that was pretty fucked is that so many guys and girls that I know through Facebook that are married didn't bring their spouse. That is all well and good I guess except when you're sole purpose is to flirt and hook up with your HS crush. I saw quite a few married girls grinding and kissing on other dudes.

So when your wife wants to go to her reunion but tells you she wants to make it a "girls night" with her old friends, watch out!
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • My 10 years is coming up in a bit and I already know unless something big happens I won't be going, for the reasons stated already. I basically left anyone I didn't need in my life after high school and the have made all new friends since
    "I want to Rock & Roll all night, and part of everyday"
    Sept.11/05 Kitchener, Ontario
    May 10/10 Buffalo, New York
    Sept.11 & Sept 12/2011, Toronto, Ontario
    Sept. 15/11 Hamilton, Ontario
    Oct. 12/13 Buffalo, New York
    Oct 16/14 Detroit, Michigan
    May 10/16 Toronto, Ontario
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I have a different outlook on reunions....

Met JB at our 5 year, we have gone to everyone since, our 40th will be in 2014 :shock:

I was not popular in school and had formed some opinions about people but was happy to see as the years progressed they were not at all like I thought.

As far as drama, after having been to 7 reunions now, I can say drama is for the young...
    we are just glad to be alive :lol:

If you want to skip this one for whatever reason don't burn a bridge, 15 year might be a blast
    and I know for a fact 25 rocks! ;)

Life is what ya make it, live it up! every minute, whatever you find! :D
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Wow, this thread has cemented any feelings I had about a potential high school reunion. DEFINATELY NOT GOING!!! :lol: I have a few people I see every now and again but lots of my mates got into some harder drugs and that's something I have no interest in bringing into my life. I miss who they used to be though, very sad.

I think it just brings back bad memories more than anything, specifically my first high school. Lost my best mate to suicide and I don't care to revisit there.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    conman wrote:
    i hope i get invited to my high school reunion, just so i can tell them to FUCK OFF!
    :lol::lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I went to my 25th...

I had the hottest wife. I win.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    I went to my 25th...

I had the hottest wife. I win.
    :clap: that's lovely!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2