Options

The best part of Backspacer is?

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    kenny olav wrote:
    Tracks 5,6,7 are the pinnacle.
    Gonna have to agree with that. And the highlight is right at the end of that sequence. :)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    luke.luke. Posts: 190
    The cover
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    kenny olav wrote:
    Amongst the Waves!

+1!!!

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    all of it!
    danny d
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,498
    that it's only 37 minutes long
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited March 2012
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    The whole thing?
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    The fact that Pearl Jam is still making good records..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

I second that.

Or how about: "the feeling you get taking it out and putting on any other PJ record?"

Sorry, I just don't think there's a single song on it worth giving a damn about now or 20 years from now the way there are on every one of their other albums.

All that being said, Amongst the Waves is the best track. Unthought Known is too formulaic and obvious in my opinion.

And please god let us not waste a track on the next record with Ole (which might be the worst song they've ever written).
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

I second that.

Or how about: "the feeling you get taking it out and putting on any other PJ record?"

Sorry, I just don't think there's a single song on it worth giving a damn about now or 20 years from now the way there are on every one of their other albums.

All that being said, Amongst the Waves is the best track. Unthought Known is too formulaic and obvious in my opinion.

And please god let us not waste a track on the next record with Ole (which might be the worst song they've ever written).

20 bucks says you couldn't write one song that comes close..

Respectfully always,
    every musician that loves this group
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    october22 wrote:

I second that.

Respectfully always,

Really? That's you're argument?

Are you a filmaker? A painter? A photographer? A dancer?

So you're saying one would have to be competent or within the range of competing with any of the above artists in their particular skill set or talent to have an opinion on them or else I would be out $20 to an irrational joker like yourself?

In other words, I would have to first become a musician to decide I don't like a song or an album? Do I have to be an expert in marmite production to know it tastes fucking gross? Maybe while I'm at it, I'll hook up with a dude before I realize vagina is awesome.

I can take this as far as you want. Absurdity is amusing.

Respectfully always,
    Every opinionated rationalist that likes/dislikes...well, anything.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    october22 wrote:

I second that.

Respectfully always,

Really? That's you're argument?

Are you a filmaker? A painter? A photographer? A dancer?

So you're saying one would have to be competent or within the range of competing with any of the above artists in their particular skill set or talent to have an opinion on them or else I would be out $20 to an irrational joker like yourself?

In other words, I would have to first become a musician to decide I don't like a song or an album? Do I have to be an expert in marmite production to know it tastes fucking gross? Maybe while I'm at it, I'll hook up with a dude before I realize vagina is awesome.

I can take this as far as you want. Absurdity is amusing.

Respectfully always,
    Every opinionated rationalist that likes/dislikes...well, anything.
    OK.. I will play..

I was simply commenting upon the fact that so many folks love to discredit an album or even a song when they have not a single musical talent and most certainly have not even tried to write a song...

I am an artist, yes..
    I have written and recorded songs
    I have made a film
    I love to dance.. I am a dancer

Through all of your senseless banter, why don't you just accept the fact that you are not a musician, you are not a dancer... and even in your brightest moment, you couldn't produce a Backspacer.. Maybe I couldn't either,,

But I do have respect for it.. and that was all I was trying to make you realize..

Don't shit on something you cannot even come close to..

Respectfully always,
    Cavstarr313
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

OK.. I will play..

I was simply commenting upon the fact that so many folks love to discredit an album or even a song when they have not a single musical talent and most certainly have not even tried to write a song...

I am an artist, yes..
    I have written and recorded songs
    I have made a film
    I love to dance.. I am a dancer

Through all of your senseless banter, why don't you just accept the fact that you are not a musician, you are not a dancer... and even in your brightest moment, you couldn't produce a Backspacer.. Maybe I couldn't either,,

But I do have respect for it.. and that was all I was trying to make you realize..

Don't shit on something you cannot even come close to..

Respectfully always,
    Cavstarr313

Wrong.

First off, my banter, as you call it, wasn't senseless. It was actually quite logical though you've now proven twice incapable of following it. I didn't presume what you were or weren't, I simply asked a few questions. How do you know I don't have a single musical talent? I have written songs and I've studied dance, music and acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London. I am also a filmaker. I can't come close to the greatest actor, filmaker, musician or dancer but that doesn't mean I can't "shit" on something I don't like. It also doesn't mean I can't hold one thing an artist does in high esteem and another by the same artist with low regard. And I have news for you, Pearl Jam themselves have written things they don't like. In addition, I've heard Eddie talk shit about several artists including Marky Mark and Madonna, both of whom relied heavily on dance in their acts. I'd say it's safe to bet both of them can dance better than Ed. You should inform Ed to have a little more respect.

Of course I couldn't write Backspacer. I also couldn't write a Limp Bizkit record but I still know when something sucks and I'm happy to say it. It pleases me to not live in the grey vagaries of agnosticism. You're argument is intellectually weak, and you write that you want to "play" but you don't seem to have the capacity.

Decidedly disrespectful,
    10/22
  • Options
    Additionally, this is where I'll end it because I fucking destroyed you (twice), I'm tired and I'm drunk. And you've now bored me. Peace.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    Additionally, this is where I'll end it because I fucking destroyed you (twice), I'm tired and I'm drunk. And you've now bored me. Peace.
    no.. nevermind.. goodnight precious.. Destroyed me twice?? you couldn't destroy me once on your best day Nancy...
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2012
    unthought known
    Amongst the waves
    The End
    Get some

are some of my faves. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    Of course I couldn't write Backspacer. I also couldn't write a Limp Bizkit record but I still know when something sucks and I'm happy to say it.

Decidedly disrespectful,
    10/22

Simply put, if you hate it so much, and you have no respect for the pieces of art that are being discussed, then..

Then write something better!!

you have admitted you can't.. yet you still carry this self important attitude.. and then you claim you have "destroyed me".. why don't you focus on establishing yourself before claiming you have destroyed another.. you have not.. and never will...
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Backspacer really grew on me. I disliked it at first, now I can listen to it almost any time. I'd have to say its best part is the strong start, with Gonna See My Friend opening up the album.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Start to finish :D
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    How can anyone rank Pearl Jam (Avocado) and Riot Act above Backspacer!

Backspacer isnt perfect, but at least the songwriting is getting back to form. Got Some, The Fixer, Unthought Known, Johnny Guitar, The End are all way better thank anything which was on Self Titled or Riot Act...

Just my opinion!
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    CrookedTom wrote:

Backspacer isnt perfect, but at least the songwriting is getting back to form. Got Some, The Fixer, Unthought Known, Johnny Guitar, The End are all way better thank anything which was on Self Titled or Riot Act...

Just my opinion!

i prefer Riot act cause it is interesting, weird, and fucked up. backspacer is a bit too straight-forward for my tastes. Still a good album, but nowhere near the top as far as PJ is concerned.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    NewJPage wrote:
    i prefer Riot act cause it is interesting, weird, and fucked up. backspacer is a bit too straight-forward for my tastes. Still a good album, but nowhere near the top as far as PJ is concerned.

agreed.

it's been said before around here and i 100% agree, but riot act was the last PJ album to have that PJ feel.

avocado and backspacer were far too bland and basic for this band. you can give them the pass on avocado, but i was very surprised they followed it up with practically the same album.

i like what stone is saying about the upcoming album, but i do remember him and mike saying very similar things about backspacer and that has me a bit worried.
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Caveeze wrote:
    The fact that Pearl Jam is still making good records..

I agree!! We are very lucky. I love Amongst the Waves, followed closely by Unthought Known. :D
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    Unthought known
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I think it was brave of them to put some love songs at the center of it. Just Breathe and Amongst the Waves. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    love the new cd as much as the last cd, and the same as the old cds
    nothing has changed ever
    which is why im still here

top tracks
    got some
    the fixer
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    It's all equally garbage imo. Just an awful album, start to finish. Too much Ed. More stone next album PLEASE!!!!
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Love all of BS but favourite is Force of Nature ;)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    CrookedTom wrote:

Just my opinion!

How can anyone even put RIOT ACT and BACKSPACER in the same sentence?! :lol:

Oh shit...I just did! :oops:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    the whole album!! <3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"