What to see in Seattle?

barger395barger395 Posts: 855
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm gonna be in Seattle the last week of March and I am hoping that y'all have suggestions on what to see, what to eat and drink and where to get it!!

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed with open arms!

Cheers,
Barger
Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    What to see:

Eddie
    Jeff
    Mike
    Stone
    Matt

Got it? :D:D:D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    barger395 wrote:
    I'm gonna be in Seattle the last week of March and I am hoping that y'all have suggestions on what to see, what to eat and drink and where to get it!!

Cheers,
    Barger

Easy Street Records, Magnuson Park, the Showbox, Alki Beach, EMP, the Space Needle, the first Starbucks, Pikes Market to name a few.

I also recommend eating at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle, you will see alot of cool grunge memorabilia. When I went there last year, we sat at a booth next to Andy Wood's acoustic guitar.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    barger395 wrote:

Cheers,
    Barger
    Nirvana Exhibit at the E.M.P. (through April 2013)
    Visit Jimi Hendrix - Down by Renton... sort of. Google the location and directions.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    I'm planning to go there for the first time :) .

The Seattle Art Museum and Woodland Park Zoo are also on my list of places to visit, along with the Experience Music Project and Pike Place Market.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    edited March 2012
    We went last summer and enjoyed visiting the aquarium. We heard that Dick's had good burgers. Couldn't find it when we were walking around by the Key Arena, but stumbled upon a good pizza place that was close to Easy Street.
    Also look on AET, there was a thread about this last year I got some good ideas from.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=148960&p=3451180&hilit=visiting+Seattle#p3451180

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=146231&p=3372604&hilit=seattle#p3372604
    Post edited by guitar59 on
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    StillHere wrote:
    What to see:

Eddie
    Jeff
    Mike
    Stone
    Matt

I take it Boom is in Hawaii this time of year? 8-)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    I heard there were lots of cows. :shock:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • The Crocodile Cafe (It's actually a pub with a venue out back) has hosted many bands you love, including Mad Season on multiple occassions. Charles Peterson's black and white photos adorn the walls of the front bar, which include a Yield-era Ed photo, an AMAZING photograph of Mark Lanegan in a car, and a beautiful portrait of Andy Wood. There's a very famous Nirvana photo hanging there too.

BUT, the REAL reason to go here is:
    1. Great drink.
    2. Cool staff. They're young and they're hip and they'll fucking talk to ye. Lovely folk.
    3. The wood oven pizza the cook fresh in the big arse pizza oven behind the bar is beautiful. I've been to Italy 6 times in my life-I know pizza-and the Croc's is goooooooooood pizza. And it's in a cool area to drinkin' in. They have the pizza real cheap at certain times, too.
    4. Great vibes in the joint. We went often. It's a fucking great pub.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • I used this when I went in 98, it's got a lot of the PJ related sites, but hasn't been updated in years as 5H's is no more. Have a great trip...

http://www.fivehorizons.com/feature/seattle/index.shtml
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Apparently not Pearl Jam.... ;)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • barger395 wrote:

Cheers,
    Barger

It's been awhile since I lived there but definitely go to Dick's if you get a chance. Good ole fashioned fun :thumbup:
    "I did what I had to do. If there was a reason it was you..."
  • Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 691
    barger395 wrote:

Cheers,
    Barger

It's been awhile since I lived there but definitely go to Dick's if you get a chance. Good ole fashioned fun :thumbup:

Good cheap burgers and greasy fries! Haha
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Kloddz wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    What to see:

Eddie
    Jeff
    Mike
    Stone
    Matt

I take it Boom is in Hawaii this time of year? 8-)

Boom? Yep..most likely surfing that secret sweet spot...and prob Ed too ...but hey, its worth a look-around :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,356
    The ultimate dream, to roam around the 10club warehouse.

homer-drool.gif
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    I'm posting to mark this thread for future reference.
    Thanks for all the inputs on the nice things to check in the city!
    The one thing I am very anxious about is for the anouncement of a PJ gig in Seattle.
    The sooner the better, but no matter when it happens, it is a sure shot for me.
    I'll fly the 6768.76 miles for this in a jiff!
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    thefin190 wrote:
    I also recommend eating at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle, you will see alot of cool grunge memorabilia.

You should know by now not to use the G word.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Bruce Lee's grave. :cry:
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Maybe this?
    http://hottubboats.com/about/
    I kid you not :mrgreen:
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Paging RKCNDY, paging RKCNDY to the thread.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i hear starbucks is all the rage with the kids now a days
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    edited March 2012
    For fun, the adult Underground Tour is pretty cool. Seattle sank at one point, and there is this whole underground city of ruins kind of, it’s pretty awesome (for the Adult one, it’s later in the evening, and you start with drinks, and the stuff they talk about is more on the interesting side – the underbelly of Seattle back in the day).

If you really like history (I do), the Gold Rush museum is very interesting.

Of course Pike Place, not like you’re going to miss that.

The Curiosity Shoppe on the waterfront is kind of interesting for a drop-by if you’re in the area. They have a couple of mummies and a stuffed two-headed calf, stuff like that.

The Seattle Zoo is rated one of the 5 best in the country (or was a few years ago anyway). So check that out!

For food: If you like to drink, go to the Triangle Bar, close to Safeco Field. It’s one of the oldest bars in the city. It’s tiny, and is a triangle, and just a cool little bit of history. They have one of those internet connected jukeboxes too, so you can listen to anything in there. :)

There is a mechanical bull at Cowgirls. The place is really just a place people go to get drunk and laid at night - night clubby. So you know, if you're into that, it's a party - slutty cowgirls dancing on the bars, etc, lol. But if you're not into that, you can still go ride the mechanical bull earlier, around dinner time, when hardly anyone is there yet. It's pretty fun if you haven't tried it already.

Jimi Hendrix's grave is in Seattle. I visited it when I was still in high school - can't remember really where it is now.

There is the Music Experience place or whatever it's called. I've never been, but you might like it, who knows.

My very very special food recommendation: The Hole in the Wall. It’s this authentic BBQ place, and it really IS a hole in the wall. Not even a diner. It’s like a food stand but indoors. The thing is, this is TRUE BBQ – probably the best in the entire region and beyond, and absolutely amazing. They take 15 hours to cook it all night long. And then it’s only really perfect for 3 hours max, so that’s as long as they are open. You can ONLY eat there between 11am and 2pm on weekdays (sometimes they close earlier because they run out of food, so get there at 11 or 12). After 3 hours, they figure the quality of what they spent the last 15 hours slow cooking and smoking has dropped below their standards. Brisket, Pork, Turkey – all amazing!!! And their beans are to die for. I actually make a point of having at least one weekday in Seattle whenever I go just so I can eat there!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Cosmo wrote:
    barger395 wrote:

Cheers,
    Barger
    Nirvana Exhibit at the E.M.P. (through April 2013)
    Visit Jimi Hendrix - Down by Renton... sort of. Google the location and directions.

Definitely visit Jimi! :) Seattle is a beautiful city. My husband & I flew there last May for a 10 day vacation. Not enough time....we plan to go back. Absolutely loved WA & OR. We drove down the PCH to Eureka, CA. :)
  • It seems weird to me that m home town is a tourist destination. I would recommend checking out Freemont and Ballard. You can see the troll under the bridge, go to bilas cafe for brunch and get a 12 egg omelette, check out the 2-3 record stores and finish the night catching a good show at the Tractor Tavern. My fab show there was Tenacious D
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • It seems weird to me that m home town is a tourist destination. I would recommend checking out Freemont and Ballard. You can see the troll under the bridge, go to Vulas cafe for brunch and get a 12 egg omelette, check out the 2-3 record stores and finish the night catching a good show at the Tractor Tavern. My fab show there was Tenacious D
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    It seems weird to me that m home town is a tourist destination. I would recommend checking out Freemont and Ballard. You can see the troll under the bridge, go to Vulas cafe for brunch and get a 12 egg omelette, check out the 2-3 record stores and finish the night catching a good show at the Tractor Tavern. My fab show there was Tenacious D

Vula's?

I vote Beth's Cafe for their 12 egg omelet.

5 Point Cafe near the Space Needle-awesome greasy spoon, there is a periscope in the men's bathroom that looks at the Space Needle. I snuck in there to look. The urinal is gross.

Just do a search in the AET for "Seattle" I've given lots of recommendations previously.

If I think of more cool places, I'll post here...I have a migraine today. :(

oh, and the 'grunge' stuff at the Hard Rock...is by the bathroom :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cosmo wrote:
    Nirvana Exhibit at the E.M.P. (through April 2013)...

YES! this is a definite. i didnt come out of the EMP for hours. total awesomeness.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    What hotels in Seattle do you all recommend too? :)
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    Suziemay wrote:
    Maybe this?

That is just sooo ridiculous!! It might become a moral imperative!

Thank you Suz!! Well done! :clap::clap: :thumbup:
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    Wow!! Thank you everyone for all your terrific ideas and suggestions!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I only have 5 days, but I'll keep y'alll posted on what we see, do, eat and drink. I just hope it's not raining like a monsoon while I'm there.

Cheers everyone!
    Barger
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    barger395 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    Maybe this?

That is just sooo ridiculous!! It might become a moral imperative!

Thank you Suz!! Well done! :clap::clap: :thumbup:
    I'll be expecting a full report! I mean, how can you not try it: "Imagine this—you’re in a hot tub. Nice! You’re also surrounded by water. Ooh. You’re also out boating, while hot-tubbing, while drinking. All at once."

That is, if they are up and running by then. :mrgreen: