Options

Pet Sounds

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Whatever was going on with Brian Wilson during that time resulted IMO with the most creative pop music of the 20th century

listen to what would have been the followup to Pet Sounds before it all got too much for Brian....
    I always throw this song on my Pet Sounds mixes because its the same year and same genius style

”Surf’s Up”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM&app=desktop&persist_app=1

That's a great point, cp3.  "Surf's Up" is right up their with the quality of the Pet Sounds Material.  That song as well as "'Til I Die" and a few others make the album Surf's Up worth having (and worth the extra bucks to get the fine quality Analogue Productions vinyl version).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Oh man yes. Good call, Brian.   Til I Die is unbelievable
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited January 2019
    I don't like this album, or any Beach Boys album. Except "God Only Knows" - that is a really great song. However, I did gain a newfound respect and appreciation for this album after watching that newish biopic about them and Brian Wilson, with Paul Dano (who is the best). The way that film showed the creative process that went into the album definitely expanded my view of the music... It didn't make me like listening to most of it any more at all, unfortunately, but still...
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
     I actually avoided listening to the song Surf’s Up for years because i figured it was another surfing/cars song.  :lol:  never knew it was a sarcastic title
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't like this album, or any Beach Boys album. Except "God Only Knows" - that is a really great song. However, I did gain a newfound respect and appreciation for this album after watching that newish biopic about them and Brian Wilson, with Paul Dano (who is the best). The way that film showed the creative process that went into the album definitely expanded my view of the music... It didn't make me like listening to most of it any more at all, unfortunately, but still...
    "I don't like this album, or any Beach Boys album."

How totally un-American!

Oh, that's right, you're not American.  :lol: 

Yeah, "Love & Mercy" is a great film.  Dano was awesome.  But as much as I like John Cusak in several films, he was just NOT the right actor for the part of the older Brian Wilson.  A better match would have made this movie incredible.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    That's really not doing anything for me Brian... Sounds kind of like some kind of TV theme song? Can't think of which one, but it's on the tip of my tongue....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    That's really not doing anything for me Brian... Sounds kind of like some kind of TV theme song? Can't think of which one, but it's on the tip of my tongue....
    :bawling:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Ah, I just remembered. It reminds me of the Maude theme song. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Ah, I just remembered. It reminds me of the Maude theme song. :lol:
    Oh... my... GAWD!  Well, OK then.  :lol:

It's one of my favorite "mature" Beach Boys" songs.  Early Beach Boys stuff like "Don't Worry, Baby" and "In My Room" gave me something to hang on to as per-adolescent worries started creeping into my life.