Options

Pet Sounds

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited May 2012 in Other Music
Amazing album. A masterpiece of an album. One of the finest pieces of music ever produced. Brian Wilson is a genius. "God Only Knows" is such a beautiful song and one of the greatest songs ever written. Unbelievable chord structure in that song.

Who else loves this album?
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love the Beach Boys but have not given this album a proper listen, strange huh :?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Some fantastic songs on that album. I struggle not to skip a few tracks while I listen but all the same a must in anyone's collection.
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    It's only my favourite album ever.
    So... yeah... good stuff!

And yes, God Only Knows is one of the greatest songs ever, but also Let's Go Away For A While, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) and Wouldn't It Be Nice are genius too.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,498
    Way back in the late 90s I think they were really celebrating this album and there were shows on VH1 and the like about it so my husband buys me the CD as sort of a joke. I knew the hits from the album but it turned out to not be all that bad of an album as a whole. I listen to it all the way through occasionally.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes! and God Only Knows... is a favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMyS78o5YI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFy_B1FYyo

great for a Monday morning, smiling music ... thanks for the memories! :D
  • Options
    i definitely agree about God Only Knows. Such a deceptively simple song. The ending is so simple, yet may be the most brilliant aspect of any song ever. The repeated, "god only knows what i'd be without you" at the end, with overlapping vocals is mindblowing.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    God Only Knows is one of the greatest songs ever written.

The rest of the album, I can see WHY it's great, but I don't necessarily dig it, if that makes sense.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Genius album. Haven't listened to it in a while, might have to do so now that it's on my mind!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    Fantastic album...."You Still Believe in Me" is a personal favorite. "God Only Knows" is brilliant, but I've heard it so many times, the effect has dulled a bit. I also love "Waiting for the Day"
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    This is one of those comfort albums for me. A classic, for sure.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,853
    I love pet sounds and the newly released Smile sessions. Brian is a true genius.

After listening to those albums and going back to their 1962-1965 songs you really begin to appreciate the level of complexity and beauty hidden in the early tunes. For a good five years Brian was the songwriter, producer, arranger of the music, arranger of the vocals and engineer of all their work. No wonder he had a breakdown in 1967. His music and the beautiful sound of youthful exuberance will live on forever. :-)

If anyone is interested, check out the DVD Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962-1969.

Cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFEG3oV ... re=related
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:
    I love pet sounds and the newly released Smile sessions. Brian is a true genius.

After listening to those albums and going back to their 1962-1965 songs you really begin to appreciate the level of complexity and beauty hidden in the early tunes. For a good five years Brian was the songwriter, producer, arranger of the music, arranger of the vocals and engineer of all their work. No wonder he had a breakdown in 1967. His music and the beautiful sound of youthful exuberance will live on forever. :-)

If anyone is interested, check out the DVD Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962-1969.

Cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFEG3oV ... re=related

For years, I've been pointing to the intro to "California Girls" as the perfect example of the genius of Brian Wilson. It's such a standard now that it's taken for granted. But listen to the first 30 seconds or so of that song with fresh ears (up to when the main organ riff kicks in)...there's no WAY you can anticipate the song that's coming by listening to the intro. But it works. Oh, man, does it work! I can't imagine "California Girls" starting any other way. Most songwriters simply would have started the song where the organ riff comes in right before the lyrics. Not Brian Wilson! There was always so much more going on in his head...truly groundbreaking in a deceptively simple way.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Top 5 all time for me... but took me a while to get there...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    The song God Only Knows was featured in the film Boogie Nights
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The real question, "I Know There's an Answer" or "Hang Onto Your Ego"?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    The real question, "I Know There's an Answer" or "Hang Onto Your Ego"?

Hang on to Your Libido!!!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to this brilliant and genius album!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We enjoyed this in the hot tub the other night ... sweet! :D
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    pandora wrote:
    TMI :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    TMI :lol:
    :lol: I was just going to write the same thing before I saw this.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Any 'Smile' fans in this thread. Surf's Up always blows my mind

Solo version in 1966
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZjIdyWu-U

Final studio recording from the smile sessions 1967
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM

The fact that Pet Sounds and Smile were set to be released in the same year shows what a creative streak Brian Wilson was on in 1966.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Haven't heard "Smile" yet.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Go out and buy the two disc set! The most famous unreleased album ever!
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... sions.html
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,904
    Pet Sounds and Smile are both incredible. I can live without most of the Boys other stuff.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Go out and buy the two disc set! The most famous unreleased album ever!
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... sions.html
    I agree.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2019
    I like this album alot as I just recently discovered it.  I cant imagine hearing this for the first time when it was released...genius.
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Beatles tried so hard to outdo this but never came close.

And I love Sgt. Pepper. 

The problem was that you could tell that they were trying, whereas Pet Sounds sounds almost effortless. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    It's almost as though that album was made outside of time.  It still seems ahead of its time.  I wonder if they tacked on Sloop John B to somehow anchor the record in reality? 

And the way it ends- first with the heart wrenching "Caroline, No", and then that little soundscape of train fading in the distance and the dog barking that to me always pulls me out from the brink of despair.  Pure genius.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited January 2019
    Whatever was going on with Brian Wilson during that time resulted IMO with the most creative pop music of the 20th century

listen to what would have been the followup to Pet Sounds before it all got too much for Brian....
    I always throw this song on my Pet Sounds mixes because its the same year and same genius style

”Surf’s Up”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Any 'Smile' fans in this thread. Surf's Up always blows my mind

Solo version in 1966
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZjIdyWu-U

Final studio recording from the smile sessions 1967
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM

The fact that Pet Sounds and Smile were set to be released in the same year shows what a creative streak Brian Wilson was on in 1966.