Options

Environmental Issues

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ComeToTX wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    I wonder how many tuna will be slaughtered worldwide today? Pigs? Cows? Horses?

So you haven't seen the movie? Nobody is paying a lot of money to "walk with cows" or "roll with pigs" for an hour.

If it's part of their culture who am I to judge? There's a lot of things that I do that I don't need anyone judging.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DS1119 wrote:
    +1.

Not to derail this conversation or thread, but I see countless people advocate an end to cruelty to dogs and cats, but will hit up their local steakhouse hours later for a nice sirloin or pork chop. It's just an interesting perspective.

Just got my mind thinkign with that post, DS.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    +1.

Not to derail this conversation or thread, but I see countless people advocate an end to cruelty to dogs and cats, but will hit up their local steakhouse hours later for a nice sirloin or pork chop. It's just an interesting perspective.

Oh God, Dont :lol::lol::lol: His Ego will Explode!

deathstar.jpeg?w=300&h=168
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    +1.

Oh God, Dont :lol::lol::lol: His Ego will Explode!

deathstar.jpeg?w=300&h=168

Just keeping it real. I see DC subscribes to the "real" theory as well. :lol:
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    DS1119 wrote:
    If it's part of their culture who am I to judge?

It's really not

Officially, the main purpose of the dolphin hunt is to provide dolphin meat to the Japanese people. But only a small minority of people in Japan actually eats the meat. During our many campaigns in Japan, we even got the impression that dolphin meat is considered "trashy," unlike the much more expensive whale meat. DNA tests on meat labeled “whale meat” in Japanese markets have revealed the meat is in fact falsely labeled dolphin meat.  Whale meat sells for more money than dolphin meat, so Japanese consumers are tricked into buying dolphin meat falsely labeled as "whale" meat.

There is another essential, and rather shocking, aspect to the dolphin hunt: During a meeting with the Taiji fishermen in January 2004, the fishermen told us that they do not only hunt dolphins for their meat or for sale to the dolphinarium industry. In their own words, they kill the dolphins "as a form of pest control." The dolphins, from the fishermen’s perspective, eat too much fish, and the fishermen are simply killing the competition. This is the first time ever that Japanese dolphin hunters have openly admitted to executing pest control on dolphins. Over-fishing of the oceans is a tremendous problem on a global level, and the Japanese fishermen, supported by their government, are wrongly pointing at the dolphins as the reason for this depletion. The Japanese government is making the same false argument in front of the International Whaling Commission that whales eat fish and therefore need to be controlled by killing. The desire to keep the dolphin population down is a major reason why the Japanese government is so keen on issuing permits for the hunts. It is not really about providing meat for the Japanese people. It is not really about maintaining what the fishermen repeatedly refer to as their "tradition" or "culture." It is about eradicating as many dolphins as possible in order to make the oceans' fish available to themselves.  We know of several areas in Japan where local dolphin populations have declined or been eradicated by this mentality, fully supported by the Japanese government.

In addition, the powerful Japan Fisheries Agency promotes the killing of dolphins and whales as part of Japan’s “food culture”, despite the fact that few Japanese are interested in eating whale and dolphin meat anymore, and huge surpluses are kept in refrigerated warehouses. The Agency sees their role as protecting the Japanese people from the consequences of overfishing worldwide – if environmentalists shut down whaling and dolphin killing, their reasoning goes, then other Japanese fishing methods and species might be attacked. The whaling staff of the Japan Fisheries Agency has an additional very personal incentive: sale of whale meat and government subsidies to protect whaling pays for their salaries. If whaling and dolphin killing end, these bureaucrats will be out of a job.

http://savejapandolphins.org/take-actio ... -questions
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    If it's part of their culture who am I to judge?

It's really not

Officially, the main purpose of the dolphin hunt is to provide dolphin meat to the Japanese people. But only a small minority of people in Japan actually eats the meat. During our many campaigns in Japan, we even got the impression that dolphin meat is considered "trashy," unlike the much more expensive whale meat. DNA tests on meat labeled “whale meat” in Japanese markets have revealed the meat is in fact falsely labeled dolphin meat.  Whale meat sells for more money than dolphin meat, so Japanese consumers are tricked into buying dolphin meat falsely labeled as "whale" meat.

There is another essential, and rather shocking, aspect to the dolphin hunt: During a meeting with the Taiji fishermen in January 2004, the fishermen told us that they do not only hunt dolphins for their meat or for sale to the dolphinarium industry. In their own words, they kill the dolphins "as a form of pest control." The dolphins, from the fishermen’s perspective, eat too much fish, and the fishermen are simply killing the competition. This is the first time ever that Japanese dolphin hunters have openly admitted to executing pest control on dolphins. Over-fishing of the oceans is a tremendous problem on a global level, and the Japanese fishermen, supported by their government, are wrongly pointing at the dolphins as the reason for this depletion. The Japanese government is making the same false argument in front of the International Whaling Commission that whales eat fish and therefore need to be controlled by killing. The desire to keep the dolphin population down is a major reason why the Japanese government is so keen on issuing permits for the hunts. It is not really about providing meat for the Japanese people. It is not really about maintaining what the fishermen repeatedly refer to as their "tradition" or "culture." It is about eradicating as many dolphins as possible in order to make the oceans' fish available to themselves.  We know of several areas in Japan where local dolphin populations have declined or been eradicated by this mentality, fully supported by the Japanese government.

In addition, the powerful Japan Fisheries Agency promotes the killing of dolphins and whales as part of Japan’s “food culture”, despite the fact that few Japanese are interested in eating whale and dolphin meat anymore, and huge surpluses are kept in refrigerated warehouses. The Agency sees their role as protecting the Japanese people from the consequences of overfishing worldwide – if environmentalists shut down whaling and dolphin killing, their reasoning goes, then other Japanese fishing methods and species might be attacked. The whaling staff of the Japan Fisheries Agency has an additional very personal incentive: sale of whale meat and government subsidies to protect whaling pays for their salaries. If whaling and dolphin killing end, these bureaucrats will be out of a job.

http://savejapandolphins.org/take-actio ... -questions

So by reading your post it's part of their culture and are only protecting their way of life. :?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Humans suck :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Taiji - An horrific scene played out in Taiji, Japan last night as 55-65 striped dolphins were driven into the Cove and slaughtered. Stressed dolphins threw themselves onto rocks and had to be physically dragged to their slaughter. Warning: Graphic images.

Initially said Cove Guardians with Sea Shepherd, there were more than 200 dolphins in the pod that was driven towards the Cove yesterday -- far too many for the Taiji drive boats to handle. And although the majority of the pod did eventually manage to escape, for a significant number of unlucky marine mammals, the trauma was just beginning.

All dolphin drives are awful to watch but a striped dolphin drive is particularly gruesome. This species of dolphin live in the open ocean and rarely encounter land. So when they are forced toward coastal waters, they panic in the most horrifying manner imaginable.

Last night's drive was one of the most brutal dolphin hunts documented by Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians so far this season. The entire event was streamed live by Cove Guardian Nicole McLachlan. The footage now archived at Taiji.ezearth.tv, was difficult to watch.

"Tired and terrified," said Cove Guardians on their Facebook page, "the dolphins frantically threw themselves up onto the surrounding rocks as their family members looked on. Dolphins," they added, "were dragged kicking and screaming into the cove as the killers could not control the absolute havoc."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z2EqIYrPt4

Brutal just absolutely brutal to watch, what a bunch of fucking savages.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    "protecting our way of life"

that way of life is responsible for wars, extinctions, environmental destruction, starvation, mass suffering ... what an absurd excuse for cruelty ... slavery was once someone's way of life ... so, was torture ... so, is child soldiers ...

also ... the same correlation to eating meat ... really!?? ... hey - folks ... don't complain if someone robs you because at some point you've probably rolled through a stop sign and broke the law yourself ...
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,228
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    why aren't serious ass beatings going on over this? thank god for the sea shepherd. in war the Japanese fishermen lost. simply make them stop murdering whales, sharks, & dolphins. where is Mr. Barak Obama? Michelle Obama? um, hello? mr. vice president? hello?

now days x navy seals watch over rhinoceros. sounds like a plan
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Pap said:
    This is funny.
    1:58 - hitting her with the ball :rofl:
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

• Options

Chhattisgarh: School charges ‘planting trees’ as fee by guardians

In a unique initiative, a school in Chhattisgarh’s Ambikarpur area is providing primary education to students on a meagre payment of planting a tree sapling as fee.

The facility has been provided to parents of students who cannot afford to pay school fees.

At least 35 students, aged four to five are studying in Shiksha Kuteer.

An initiative of a group of local professionals and businessmen, the school requires the students’ guardians to plant a sapling each and personally care for it.

The school has received an overwhelming response from the villagers who are glad that their children are getting quality English medium education.

“Shiksha Kuteer has opened in the village for students who are poor and have no money to pay fees. Students are being taught in English medium. They are being taught till a certain standard and their guardians have been asked to plant saplings instead of paying fees,” said a villager, Sevak Das.

In case a plant dies, the parents are required to plant another one in its place. At least 700 saplings have been planted across the village over the last year.

• Options
  • Options