Options

Environmental Issues

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
Post edited by Pap on

Comments

• Options
    27th of February Taiji: All boats have returned to port. There will be no murder of dolphins today in Taiji. It is a good day. 10:05am #tweet4taiji

I cant stand watching slaughter. Disgusts me.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dolphins ... 5691.shtml

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/724/210/624/

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/22/stop- ... nt-venues/

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/zsmit ... Experts%29
  • Options
    I agree 100%. The cultural slaughter of pilot whales as a "passage to manhood" on Faroe island needs to stop along with the slaughter of bottle nose dolphins in Taiji, Wakayama, Japan (See the film The Cove) after the prime mammals are picked for amusement parks.

The irony of this situation is that the meat that they process from these slaughters are full of toxins and are not even healthy to eat. Same goes with Japanese whaling and their hunts under the guise of "Scientific Research". (See http://www.seashepherd.org) They are simply hiding in a weak law so they can continue their cultural way of whale meat eating. Paul Watson is a true soldier for the earth and should be commended for his dedication over the decades.

It comes down to this: We are not separate from the earth. We are indeed a part of this system and when we murder and rape the land of it's natural resources we are not taking from a separate ecosystem, we are limiting the future existence of many species including our own for the sake of a selfish unnecessary and unhealthy habit.

Blue whales are at the top of the food chain. Remember what my man Irons said, "A whale's heart is as big as a car." I just wish we treated them that way.
    Love ain’t love until you give it up
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Pap wrote:

Holy shit. What the hell is that about?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Q:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    What the hell is that about?

A:
    The cultural slaughter of pilot whales as a "passage to manhood" on Faroe island needs to stop... The irony of this situation is that the meat that they process from these slaughters are full of toxins and are not even healthy to eat. They are simply hiding in a weak law so they can continue their cultural way of whale meat eating.

A: Please watch the video carefully. There are some useful information in there too.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    Q:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    What the hell is that about?

A:
    The cultural slaughter of pilot whales as a "passage to manhood" on Faroe island needs to stop... The irony of this situation is that the meat that they process from these slaughters are full of toxins and are not even healthy to eat. They are simply hiding in a weak law so they can continue their cultural way of whale meat eating.

A: Please watch the video carefully. There are some useful information in there too.

And that would be what? other than men slaughtering these peaceful creatures? This is not like Deer and Moose where "over population" is an issue. This is nothing but murder
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    This is nothing but murder.

I hope you realize that we're saying the same thing here.
  • Options
    I just ordered the The Cove on Amazon. That's some sick shit that's going on.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    :thumbup: http://www.pearljam.com/activism/saw
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I cant even watch this. It sickens me. I am a huge dolphin and whale lover. Since i have been a kid I have been amazed at both creatures and to see people do this makes me want to lose my mind.
    ctd
  • Options
    CTD10 wrote:
    I cant even watch this. It sickens me. I am a huge dolphin and whale lover. Since i have been a kid I have been amazed at both creatures and to see people do this makes me want to lose my mind.

completely agree. I had a pretty rocky childhood...my mom said when we would see dolphins on TV or live at the aquarium was really the only time I looked happy.
  • Options
    I've been wanting to watch The Cove too..but have been extremely hesitant..especially because I'm Japanese :(
    In no way do I approve of what they are doing. No way at all..so please don't think all Japanese people are evil!!
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    I've been wanting to watch The Cove too..but have been extremely hesitant..especially because I'm Japanese :(
    In no way do I approve of what they are doing. No way at all..so please don't think all Japanese people are evil!!

We are all members of the Pearl Jam Fan Family...LOVE ALL ACCEPT ALL..

Except Dolphin and Whale Killers
  • Options
    Sea Shepherd is a great organization thank god there's people like Paul Watson out there defending our oceans, he is a true hero.
  • Options

Unfortunately, all races have their own type of evil. :(
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

Unfortunately, all races have their own type of evil. :(

:( Very true..what an evil world we live in! :evil:
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Sea Shepherd declares Japan whaling victory

Updated March 10, 2012 11:33:21 
    The Japanese fisheries agency has confirmed 266 minke whales were caught this season.

Anti-whaling activists have declared the abrupt end of Japan's whaling hunt this season as a victory.
    Japan's fisheries agency says the country's whaling fleet was heading home after catching less than a third of its quota in the Antarctic.

Speaking from Tokyo, the fisheries agency revealed the fleet finished its hunt three days ago.

Sea Shepherd activist Paul Watson has told ABC News24 this morning that the whaling fleet's premature pullout is a victory and it is high time the Japanese whalers learnt their lesson.

"They decided to pack it in and head home," Mr Watson said.

"Is it a victory? Yes. We kept them running almost for the whole three months.

"It's not as good as last year when they only took 17 per cent [of their whaling quota], but we lost a vessel early."

The Japanese fisheries agency also confirmed the fleet caught 266 minke whales - less than 30 per cent of its quota.

The whalers also harpooned a single fin whale, despite having a quota of 50.

Despite receiving a special budget boost of $30 million to fend off the Sea Shepherd conservation group, the Japanese whalers were repeatedly obstructed by the activists.

Mr Watson also says that $30 million was taken from tsunami relief efforts and put into whaling efforts.
    "It's caused a lot of outrage in Japan," he said.

"They also took us to court in the US with some of that money.
    "We will return next year with four vessels and I'm sure we'll do a lot better. We will be there to protect the sanctuary."

The Federal Government says it welcomes Japan's decision to recall its whaling fleet from the Southern Ocean.

The Government says it remains opposed to commercial whaling, including Japan's so called "scientific" whaling program.

It says Australia will continue its efforts to achieve a permanent end to whaling through the International Court of Justice.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I hate people!
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    27th of February Taiji: All boats have returned to port. There will be no murder of dolphins today in Taiji. It is a good day. 10:05am #tweet4taiji

I cant stand watching slaughter. Disgusts me.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dolphins ... 5691.shtml

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/724/210/624/

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/22/stop- ... nt-venues/

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/zsmit ... Experts%29
    ...and some other pages to look at if you want to put an end to ritual slaughter and captivity.

http://savemistythedolphin.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Savemistythedolphin

https://www.facebook.com/seashepherdconservationsociety
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    There's something very unnatural about turning shoreline waters red like that....unfortunately this has been going on for decades.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    g under p wrote:
    unfortunately this has been going on for decades.

Tell me about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIbxZzWGEAE
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Someone on my facebook had posted this thing - shortly after the Cove had come out - about how NO ONE should travel to Japan because of what they do in Taiji. For some reason that got me really pissed off... Then no one should come to Canada either, because of the seals, and if that's the case, nor should anyone go to England - don't they hunt foxes there? Ironically, I think the person was from England. My point was, just because the actions of a few are despicable, doesn't mean the whole country are characterized by that.

That being said, of course it makes me extremely sad the way some people treat animals/animal populations and that the ones who do it knowingly - whether it's sharks, dolphins, or whatever - are scum.

I watched the Cove and I cried (like I did in Sharkwater...)
    For the record, I'm Japanese too.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    I agree 100%. The cultural slaughter of pilot whales as a "passage to manhood" on Faroe island needs to stop along with the slaughter of bottle nose dolphins in Taiji, Wakayama, Japan (See the film The Cove) after the prime mammals are picked for amusement parks.

The irony of this situation is that the meat that they process from these slaughters are full of toxins and are not even healthy to eat. Same goes with Japanese whaling and their hunts under the guise of "Scientific Research". (See http://www.seashepherd.org) They are simply hiding in a weak law so they can continue their cultural way of whale meat eating. Paul Watson is a true soldier for the earth and should be commended for his dedication over the decades.

It comes down to this: We are not separate from the earth. We are indeed a part of this system and when we murder and rape the land of it's natural resources we are not taking from a separate ecosystem, we are limiting the future existence of many species including our own for the sake of a selfish unnecessary and unhealthy habit.

Blue whales are at the top of the food chain. Remember what my man Irons said, "A whale's heart is as big as a car." I just wish we treated them that way.

many do not understand that infact humans do rape the earth. they pass this off as modern day hippy talk. with ted nugent currently being in the news many discussions have been fired up, some have been stopped, locked and shut down. yes, humans rape the good mother earth every single day. wake up, folks! happy days is done.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    TAIJI, Japan –  The Japanese town that gained notoriety for its annual dolphin hunt, through the Academy Award-winning documentary "The Cove," is considering a plan to turn its local bay into a pool where visitors can swim with whales and dolphins, Jiji Press reported.

The plan, thought up by local residents of Taiji, would see black whales and dolphins caught in waters near the town and then released into the giant 70-acre marine park.

"We've never heard of such an attempt elsewhere," a Japanese Fisheries Agency official told the news agency.

Officials also say there would be the possibility of making the park a center for whale research and providing information to visitors about the Japanese whaling industry.

But the development of the marine park on a section of the cove infamous for its annual dolphin slaughter is not likely to pacify activists.

A town official, who declined to be named, told AFP by telephone that the town "is no way going to stop" its annual dolphin hunt, adding local residents see no contradiction in both watching and eating dolphins.

The cove is the scene of an annual slaughter when the fishermen of Taiji corral dolphins, select a few dozen for sale to aquariums and marine parks, and stab the rest to death for meat, turning the sea red.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/01 ... z1tcwcwQIe
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    single biggest threat to life on this planet: humans
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    single biggest threat to life on this planet: humans

ain't that the truth...kind of sad.

I always find it amazing that some people like hunters justify their actions by saying they're controlling the animal population. I know hunters and the more I'm around them the more I realize how horrible they are as humans.

It's not the hunting I don't like...it's the baiting and just sitting in a tree stand somewhere waiting for their prey that I don't like about hunters...but its legal...which is said...so I'm not sure people who hunt this way can really call themselves hunters.

The community I lived a few years back had/has a major crow problem in the winter...every ones solution was to hunt them...even though most experts suggested a bylaw requiring your garbage to be put to the road in a covered container. City council did not want to go there...it would inconvenience people.

Some hunters I know hunt coyotes because they have themselves and ignorant people believing that they are doing humans a favor by controlling the population...even though a lot of what I've read about coyotes is that its extremely rare that they interfere with human.

The human population is F***ING IGNORANT.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Sadly its that time of the year again, this Saturday marks the start of the dolphin slaughter in Taiji, approximately 20,000 Dolphins will be butchered and slaughtered across Japan waters through next spring.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I wonder how many tuna will be slaughtered worldwide today? Pigs? Cows? Horses?
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    DS1119 wrote:

mmmmm... delicious cows.... maybe I'll have one for dinner.

Everyone knows dolphins are just gay sharks.... ;)

Relax I'm not being serious, just lightening the mood.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I just recently watched The Cove. It's a tough movie to watch.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,561
    DS1119 wrote:

So you haven't seen the movie? Nobody is paying a lot of money to "walk with cows" or "roll with pigs" for an hour.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.