Anybody have a tempur pedic mattress?

Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,365
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife and I are both waking up with sore backs from our worn out mattress, so it's time to look for a new one.

Any feedback on tempur pedic matresses? I've heard great things except that they retain heat and are expensive. Would you say they are worth the money, and is the heat retention an issue? Sometimes it gets a little hot under the covers in our house. ;)
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    The wife and i are in the same boat. We've been sleeping on an air mattress for six months. We want something new but afraid to throw down that much money without knowing for sure. Sleep number or temperpedic?
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    BD! Calling BD...please report to the mattress thread...

BD has a tempurpedic, he loves it.

I slept on one in a hotel...I hated it...too hot. It retains heat. There are ones that have a 'gel foam' topper to stay cooler.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I have one and it is awesome. I don't notice any problems with it retaining heat.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm interested too...how much are they?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    My sister and her husband had one and they started getting a persistent cough, and noticed that their room started smelling musty. They checked it out and there was tons of mold down in the mattress caused by sweat.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    ive got one.

i believe it is well worth the money.

they say it has a life of 10 years, so that is somehing to consider.

my back is TRASHED...

ive had sports related injuries since i was a kid, from surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.

including a snowboarding injury fracturing a vertabrea (t-10) in my spine.

ive also been in a few car accidents, but nothing super serious.

im a hot sleeper also, and ive never noticed a heat issue.

during the summer i am in the humid hot stickyness of the east coast of maryland, so if it doesnt bother me, that should tell you something.

they are expensive, BUT i always say that my tv and my bed are my most important items in my house. (aside from my pj collection of course) :lol:

they are A M A Z I N G

ive actually thought about starting a thread about just how awesome these things are...

hope this helps
    jake
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

norm wrote:

mid-range twin $2499.99
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I bought a mattress about a year ago. It wasn't a tempur pedic but getting the right mattress really makes a difference for your sleep. I was lucky because I found a really helpful salesperson who took a lot of time to explain the different types of mattresses to me. I had been looking at all the wrong kinds for me. He even steered me away from buying a more expensive one.

After having it for a year, I'm pretty pleased with it. From my experience, I'd suggest not going in with a particular brand in mind. Do some homework (maybe Consumer Reports?) on what kind of mattress you need. It makes a difference whether you typically sleep on your back or your side, your weight, things like that.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:

mid-range twin $2499.99

:shock: :shock:

holy shit that's a lot of $!

"sorry, son...i know it's your 16th birthday & you had your heart set on getting a car...but we bought a mattress instead!" :lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:

if you gotta ask....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:

mid-range twin $2499.99

:shock: :shock:

holy shit that's a lot of $!

"sorry, son...i know it's your 16th birthday & you had your heart set on getting a car...but we bought a mattress instead!" :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

that doesn't include the 'base' or the special frame either...http://www.tempurpedic.com/

I slept on a Sleep Number...THOSE are awesome.

It is true there is no 'bounce' in the tempurpedics...so, well...uuuhhh...."think about it" ;)

- Christopher McCandless
  • Good advice so far - thanks everyone! We probably just need to try out some different brands.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    My wife and I love our tempurpedic! King size mid range mattress was $2499.00. 10 year full warranty. If the mattress sags 3/4 of an inch in that time frame, we get a brand new one. No issues with heat. We have a platform bed so we didn't need to buy the frame for it. (those run $500.00) We can't feel eachother tossing and turning at night. I highly recommend a tempurpedic mattress.

Edit: by "tossing and turning" I don't mean discomfort, we both just move around a lot :D
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Can anyone support the claim that these help a bad back?

I've considered, and still am considering one to help with this. I feel that my current mattress doesn't provide a lot of support in that department.

I've slept on one before and it was extremely comfrotable, but that was before I started having some issues and I have never slept on one consistently.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i couldn't convince the wife to get one of these last time. i will definitely make another strong push the next time around.

$2500 for a king doesn't sound all that bad--especially if they last 10 years. i think we spent around $1600 for serta pillow top queen. we're about 6 years in and i swear the thing is messed up. there's a little hill in the middle of the bed that is pretty annoying. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • i couldn't convince the wife to get one of these last time. i will definitely make another strong push the next time around.

$2500 for a king doesn't sound all that bad--especially if they last 10 years. i think we spent around $1600 for serta pillow top queen. we're about 6 years in and i swear the thing is messed up. there's a little hill in the middle of the bed that is pretty annoying. :lol:
    I bought a king serta less than 2 years ago and there's a damn mound in the middle of our's too :twisted:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    i couldn't convince the wife to get one of these last time. i will definitely make another strong push the next time around.

I bought a king serta less than 2 years ago and there's a damn mound in the middle of our's too :twisted:

do you rotate your mattress?

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

the good old hump bump :mrgreen:
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    they seem like a lot of money, but i don't think you can put a price on having a SOLID nights sleep every night. that bed is where you end any shitty/stressful days. well worth the money.

i hope to get one in the near future. but for now, my brookstone tempur pedic slippers are doing the trick :lol:
  • i couldn't convince the wife to get one of these last time. i will definitely make another strong push the next time around.

Good to know guys. Sorry you've had such troubles.

• RKCNDY wrote:

problem is that it's a pillow top but not a double pillow top. So I can turn it around end-to-end all I want but cannot flip it. So, the mound just stays in the freakin middle.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    RKCNDY wrote:

really? we were supposed to rotate it?? i told my wife that and she said i was an idiot! :lol: :x

damn it
    www.myspace.com
    RKCNDY wrote:

you can't really rotate a pillow top...can't flip it that's for sure...and if you rotate, the width isn't the same as the height.

we have a king pillow top...i forget the brand. it was giving me fits for a while, but it seems comy lately.

we checked out the number bed, but i didn't really care for it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    she said i was an idiot! :lol: :x

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    she said i was an idiot! :lol: :x

:lol:

ha...so she was right though? no rotating pillow tops then?
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    you can't really rotate a pillow top...can't flip it that's for sure...and if you rotate, the width isn't the same as the height.

we have a king pillow top...i forget the brand. it was giving me fits for a while, but it seems comy lately.

rotate and or flip

your head doesn't weigh the same as your ass does it? yes/no?

I have always flipped and then rotated the mattress...it has a double pillowtop, just for that purpose.

but yeah, every 3 months...flip over, then 3 months later rotate 180, etc etc...my mattress is well over 12 years old...need a new one. Think it's a Simmons Beautyrest or something.

- Christopher McCandless
  • tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    Another plus for the tempurpedic, you don't flip it or rotate it. As for back issues, with old mattresses I've had to sleep with a pillow between my legs. I no longer do that with the tempurpedic.
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

rotate and or flip

I have always flipped and then rotated the mattress...it has a double pillowtop, just for that purpose.

but yeah, every 3 months...flip over, then 3 months later rotate 180, etc etc...my mattress is well over 12 years old...need a new one. Think it's a Simmons Beautyrest or something.

i think we rotated 180 once...didn't do much.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

rotate and or flip

thats what she said...
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

thats what she said...

since when did 81 become a 'she'? :shock: :shock: :o:o

- Christopher McCandless