Options

Offical St. Paul 1 Setlist thread

Comments

• Options
    drew0 wrote:
    Thank you! I get sick when people think they need to hear a rarity to make the show good. If the song is a rarity and it's good, I'd love to hear it. But if I'd rather hear Daughter, or Alive, or Evenflow than a rarity that isn't as good. Maybe it's cause I've only seen them once...but he said it perfect. No matter what they play, as long as they are on fire, they're going to be good. They could play Last Kiss for 28 songs in a row...and I'd be fine, as long as they were into it.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to create such a fuss, I was just stating what I thought about the show. I am sure a lot of people were happy with the show and I wasn't totally disappointed, I just thought it was a little heavy on the hits. I appreciate any chance I get to see them, after all I think they are the best band form the last 25 years. Maybe rarities was a bad choice of words, I meant deeper album tracks, like In My Tree, Present Tense, Green Disease, Lowlight, etc.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    s_rockvam wrote:
    I am sorry, I didn't mean to create such a fuss, I was just stating what I thought about the show. I am sure a lot of people were happy with the show and I wasn't totally disappointed, I just thought it was a little heavy on the hits. I appreciate any chance I get to see them, after all I think they are the best band form the last 25 years. Maybe rarities was a bad choice of words, I meant deeper album tracks, like In My Tree, Present Tense, Green Disease, Lowlight, etc.
    i agree. they aren't rare, they are DEEP (pun intended). and besides, i'd rather hear anything but daughter. yawn.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    s_rockvam wrote:

hey man, i see from your signature that you were at fargo 03?? can we agree that the show was great but the crowd was awful? i see so few people on the board who were at that show, but 3 years later i STILL remember how terrible the crowd was. so disappointing. no one outside the fan club was standing up at pretty much any point...very lame...just an observation.
    Founding member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club -- Join Now

PJ Top 16 (release order)- Rats, Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality, Lukin, U, Breakerfall, Evacuation, Light Years, In The Moonlight, Save You, You Are, Man Of The Hour, Life Wasted, Unemployable
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,588
    What a waste of time. Could have had shows in the south, Indy, St. Louis, but instead they are going to do these 6 shows with Tom Petty playing 17 songs. Why are they doing this? It's cool in one regard, but with so many cities getting skipped, doing these shows seems strange.
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    s_rockvam wrote:
    Maybe rarities was a bad choice of words, I meant deeper album tracks, like In My Tree, Present Tense, Green Disease, Lowlight, etc.

They did that in Cincy and people came on and said (in the same post) that it was a crappy set list because they played few hits and few rarities. Just all the other songs from the albums....

Just let them play. Jeeeeeez
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    mozman88 wrote:
    Bushleaguer was soundchecked in Cincinnati too...I was hoping to hear it make a come back....We'll see....

I bet they wait until Denver to play it. Create some more press=sell more records

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    i agree. they aren't rare, they are DEEP (pun intended). and besides, i'd rather hear anything but daughter. yawn.
    Thank You... I am burnt out on Daughter too.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:

i'd rather hear daughter than inside job. of course i'd rather hear one note over inside job.
    Founding member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club -- Join Now

PJ Top 16 (release order)- Rats, Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality, Lukin, U, Breakerfall, Evacuation, Light Years, In The Moonlight, Save You, You Are, Man Of The Hour, Life Wasted, Unemployable
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    They did that in Cincy and people came on and said (in the same post) that it was a crappy set list because they played few hits and few rarities. Just all the other songs from the albums....

forget the idiots, the cincy show was AMAZING. i've been to 10 shows and this was in my top 2-3 easily.

• Options
    ok Tom Petty Setlist :

[size=+2] Listen to her Heart, You Don't know how it Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin [/size]
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    s_rockvam wrote:
    Thank You... I am burnt out on Daughter too.

added betterman and black to that list for me

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    i'd rather hear daughter than inside job. of course i'd rather hear one note over inside job.
    absolutley not, i'm so sick of the 8 minute versions of daughter. inside job is absolutely amazing live. just seeing mike's sg makes me tingle!
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    merlin401 wrote:

good point.. people said it was a crappy set because it featured 3 RA and 3 No code songs etc.... tonight is the opposite and still bagged. This doesnt happen with any other band. We just seem to complain easily.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    ok Tom Petty Setlist :

[size=+2] Listen to her Heart, You Don't know how it Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin [/size]

Point taken.
  • Options
    upina2001 wrote:
    added betterman and black to that list for me

probably over 1/2 of ten should be on this list, along with ledbetter and small town.

• Options
    ok Tom Petty Setlist :

now i'd say that's a greatest hits set

• Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    absolutley not, i'm so sick of the 8 minute versions of daughter. inside job is absolutely amazing live. just seeing mike's sg makes me tingle!

i think it's great that people enjoy inside job...but to me it's just a snore. i've really really TRIED to like it, but it just does nothing for me live or on the album.

• Options
    [size=+2] Saving Grace [/size]
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    good point.. people said it was a crappy set because it featured 3 RA and 3 No code songs etc.... tonight is the opposite and still bagged. This doesnt happen with any other band. We just seem to complain easily.

Not true - Phish fans are even worse.
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • Options
    i think it's great that people enjoy inside job...but to me it's just a snore. i've really really TRIED to like it, but it just does nothing for me live or on the album.
    it took me to see it live to buy into it, and i will say it was much better with the lasers and smoke in cleveland than in pittsburgh without them. it was an experience within itself.

• Options
    Not true - Phish fans are even worse.

My buddies are super huge Phishheads and they are SUPER SPOILED!!!

"Ah, man, not Harry Hood! I wanted to hear them play Dogs stole things; they havent played that since they were in Fishmans basement in 89!!"---Spoiled.

• Options
    upina2001 wrote:

"Ah, man, not Harry Hood! I wanted to hear them play Dogs stole things; they havent played that since they were in Fishmans basement in 89!!"---Spoiled.

Exactly my point - and I'm a HUGE Phish fan...definately tied w/ PJ for my favorite band...Yeah, Phish fas make PJ fans look like they don't care. Just putting it in perspective.
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:

Other than Sad, nothing really stuck out for me... Just would've liked to see it mixed up a little more tonight after glancing at the setlist on here. Hoping tomorrow will be better. Regardless it will be a blast tomorrow night and I will love it no matter what they play.

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    upina2001 wrote:

thats what we sound like or are staring to sound like... take away the Phish songs in that quote and Hard To Imagine and Given To Fly.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    WOW, I love Petty but the standard setlist needs to go. 30 years of music and the same thing each night is lame. Especially if he plays the same show back to back nights in the same city. Here's to Summerfest in a few days!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

Cinci was a crappy setlist. Easily the worst that I've seen (Camden II '03 being a close second because of the encores). Look at fucking Pittsburgh the night before.

Dissident, In Hiding, Garden, I Got Shit, State of Love and Trust, Man of the Hour, Waiting on a Friend, Why Go, Smile

Those songs right there blow Cinci's setlist out of the water. They aren't extreme rarities (never asked for those), but they are songs that are either new for the tour (Why Go, Garden) or not played too often (I Got Shit, Smile, In Hiding).

Cinci got Leash and Long Road, and every other song could be heard by goiing to two shows in a row from any shows since 2003 (minus the Avocado songs). The set lacked personality. Pittsburgh had personality.

Hell, look at Pitt's second encore: Go, Why Go, Comatose (how freaking awesome). That's a fucking run of songs. Cinci's first encore we got five 6+ minute songs in a row. How freaking dull. Who the hell wants to hear Wishlist in a freaking encore?

Sorry, the Cinci setlist was just utterly dissapointing. I'm not sugarcoating it anymore. It was unbelievable dull. Crowd and band were high energy. But the set left me wanting more. A friend from work who sees about one show a tour brought it up to me without even me asking. Just look at Pitt's setlist, and tell me while sober that Cinci's setlist was great.

Edit: But then you say, well you got LBC and Green Disease. Well, who wants to hear those when you have Why Go, Go, Animal, Dissident, Low LIght, I Got Shit, Garden, Rats, Satan's Bed, All those Yesterdays, Bushleaguer, Come Back, In Hiding, Man of the Hour, Smile, etc....that could have been played.
  • Options
    pureoc wrote:
    WOW, I love Petty but the standard setlist needs to go. 30 years of music and the same thing each night is lame. Especially if he plays the same show back to back nights in the same city. Here's to Summerfest in a few days!!!!

Yeah, I saw the Bonnaroo show and that's the exact same set - not good since I'm seeing both Denver shows (for PJ, of course)
  • Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    Cinci was a crappy setlist. Easily the worst that I've seen (Camden II '03 being a close second because of the encores). Look at fucking Pittsburgh the night before.

Dissident, In Hiding, Garden, I Got Shit, State of Love and Trust, Man of the Hour, Waiting on a Friend, Why Go, Smile

Those songs right there blow Cinci's setlist out of the water. They aren't extreme rarities (never asked for those), but they are songs that are either new for the tour (Why Go, Garden) or not played too often (I Got Shit, Smile, In Hiding).

Cinci got Leash and Long Road, and every other song could be heard by goiing to two shows in a row from any shows since 2003 (minus the Avocado songs). The set lacked personality. Pittsburgh had personality.

Hell, look at Pitt's second encore: Go, Why Go, Comatose (how freaking awesome). That's a fucking run of songs. Cinci's first encore we got five 6+ minute songs in a row. How freaking dull. Who the hell wants to hear Wishlist in a freaking encore?

Sorry, the Cinci setlist was just utterly dissapointing. I'm not sugarcoating it anymore. It was unbelievable dull. Crowd and band were high energy. But the set left me wanting more. A friend from work who sees about one show a tour brought it up to me without even me asking. Just look at Pitt's setlist, and tell me while sober that Cinci's setlist was great.
    who wants to hear Wishlist period...lol.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • Options

PJ can't win with its fans... they set a standard in 2003 and now everyone expects that standard to be carried out night after night.

• Options
    Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    I already faxed my prefered setlist to the band for Vegas. I also have a case of wine as a bribe being delivered to the MGM, sent to Ed V. requiring a signature.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!