Small Town

mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I live in a small town in rural MN. The population has been 166 for as long as I can remember. I met my future wife here. We had a kid. We lost a kid. Life has kept chugging along through the good and the bad.

We got a new population sign today.

Population 151.

Down 9% in the last 10 years.

Kind of sad for some reason I guess. Oh well.

Bittersweet Me and Be Mine by R.E.M. have been playing in the background as I've been typing. Time to lose myself some good music and perhaps enjoy an alcoholic libation.
Glorified version of a pelican
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    wow...you make my hometown look like a sprawling urban center....with it's 8300 people :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    no offense...but i would shoot myself :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i have more people in my apt. building :lol:

that's pretty wild when ya think about it
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    i have more people in my apt. building :lol:

that's pretty wild when ya think about it

:lol: Weird!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • My town is about 500 , but Montreal and Boston are 3 hour drives
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my graduating high school class was 300+ people :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    There's more people right now that work at my local Wal-Mart.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    mini_tb wrote:
    I live in a small town in rural MN. The population has been 166 for as long as I can remember. I met my future wife here. We had a kid. We lost a kid. Life has kept chugging along through the good and the bad.

We got a new population sign today.

Population 151.

Down 9% in the last 10 years.

Kind of sad for some reason I guess. Oh well.

Bittersweet Me and Be Mine by R.E.M. have been playing in the background as I've been typing. Time to lose myself some good music and perhaps enjoy an alcoholic libation.

I know what you mean. The town I grew up in probably had about the same amount and the town I went to school had just over 1000. I literally knew or knew of everybody there one way or another. I don't think some people know how small alot of small towns actually are. I live in a town with around 5k and I don't feel like I know anybody outside my friends and family. I love the truly small town life. I kinda chuckle when EV tries to mention small towns when introducing Elderly Woman.
    i take a bus to work with 75 people on it
    My town is about 500 , but Montreal and Boston are 3 hour drives

Hey! You forgot about the sprawling metropolis of Smalbany, NY! :lol:
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420

We've got to travel 2 1/2 - 3 hours just to get to a town with a Target store!
  • DS1119 wrote:

I was thinking of going to Albany for my first time to check out Roger Waters, but it conflicts with the PJ shows in Amsterdam. Saratoga is closer than Albany for me , but does not offer the same headline acts.
    DS1119 wrote:

I was thinking of going to Albany for my first time to check out Roger Waters, but it conflicts with the PJ shows in Amsterdam. Saratoga is closer than Albany for me , but does not offer the same headline acts.

Saratoga is pretty much a half hour from Smalbany. I live half way between in Clifton Park.
  • mini_tb wrote:

3 hours to get to target? Dude, you must move. I would go through withdrawls for shiz.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Where in VT?
  • mini_tb wrote:

Tell me the pros of rural living
  • awilkins wrote:
    Where in VT?
    Near Woodstock
    awilkins wrote:
    Where in VT?
    Near Woodstock
    I really hope to live in small town, rural Maine, NH, VT after I graduate. Would love to have my own hobby farm and be near to skiing and hiking. I spend a lot of time in Maine and just love it, even though it's right next door to my province. I haven't ruled out living in NH or VT though.
  • Great goal. I am very happy with the Vermont lifestyle. :D
    mini_tb wrote:

Tell me the pros of rural living

Being able to leave a pee outside and not worrying about anyone seeing you!!
    mini_tb wrote:
    You mean you've never 'left' a pee in NYC on the side of building?
  • I have the freedom to light a huge bon-fire, crank up PJ to the max, and get laid all in my backyard. :D
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    no offense...but i would shoot myself :mrgreen:

um, population now 150.
    I have the freedom to light a huge bon-fire, crank up PJ to the max, and get laid all in my backyard. :D

I am so jealous!
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I have the freedom to light a huge bon-fire, crank up PJ to the max, and get laid all in my backyard. :D

I am so jealous!
    Where I used to live in another state, I would be arrested for each of those activities.
    Things were not always this good. I hope when you get your place in New Zealand you have that amount of privacy. :D
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I am so jealous!
    Where I used to live in another state, I would be arrested for each of those activities.
    Things were not always this good. I hope when you get your place in New Zealand you have that amount of privacy. :D

Yep, my plan is to eventually live somewhere with that much privacy....where I could walk around the backyard naked and no one can see me! I still want to be able to see someone's house lights in the distance though....I don't want to be TOO secluded.

Yes. Bonfires, beer, and bocce . Summer can't come soon enough!!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i went to a high school that had 4,000 kids :shock:

did not enjoy it
    My high school had about 2,000 students.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    mini_tb wrote:

Ain't that the truth...No joke, when I was in high school my friends and I were headed out for the night so we stopped by my house to grab some cd's. I hop out of the car and walk around the corner of the garage to see that my dad had stepped out of his bedroom door onto the deck. He was standing there bare assed naked with his hands on his hips letting it rip. This was at 5 or 6 in the middle of the summer so there was plenty of sunlight for full viewing. Pretty sure he didn't hear me so I slipped in, grabbed my cd's and got the hell out of there.

Without being too vulgar, my mom would tell me to take my first whiz of the morning outside so I get it all over the bathroom floor and walls.