Bertha-the Big Money Pit

2»

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    oh...BTW, are Maria's Doughnuts really that good?

She seemed pissed about 'having to stay open for all the tourists now". :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

They are tearing down that road in Seattle? It is kindof an eyesore, but you're right, lotta parking underneath. It'll open up that area A LOT. And chances are, it'll be a hell of a lot better built and better managed than that quagmire we had/have here.

The Big Dig started when I was a kid and in many ways, is still going on. The politics in Mass are ridiculous. They "finished" it and then a panel came down and killed some poor woman. Then a sink hole opened up the size of a swimming pool. Every time I drive thru the tunnel I get nervous I'm die. Fun stuff.

So our beautiful tunnel project is halted until 'sometime in 2015'...and now they are playing the 'blame game'
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/who-to-blame-for-bertha/Content?oid=19894105

Fenway! Fenway! Are you still here?
    Thoughts?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I know the Big Dig was massive money suck and shoddily built...but I am thankful for it every time I need to drive to the airport. It is like you are driving into a different city today.

I kinda think it was worth every penny! ;-)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    JimmyV said:

I know the Big Dig was massive money suck and shoddily built...but I am thankful for it every time I need to drive to the airport. It is like you are driving into a different city today.

I kinda think it was worth every penny! ;-)

I go Logan to Weston and back about once a week so I surely don't mind it
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    youngster said:

As one who travels the Big Dig tunnel systems almost daily, I have to say it is better than it was. The Greenway where the Central Artery used to be is very nice (even though it costs taxpayers millions per year to maintain) and I think traffic flows more smoothly than before. Having said that, the politics and swindling and downright theft of money by the higher ups was disgusting. A project that was projected to cost between $5-6 billion dollars soared to over $16 billion at the end and EVERY night they do work in the tunnel with about 8-10 state troopers on paid detail stationed throughout the tunnel. So the money is constantly being spent even now on this project. Federal money was used on this project as well so most of the people who paid for it have never even seen it in person.

Basically this. It is so much better than it was before. was it worth the money? Probably not. Really, it solved one of 17 bottlenecks. But coming from the south shore to the airport is aces now. That used to be a nightmare.

8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    Well, so the tunnel was supposed to be done this summer/fall, and due to "unforseen technical difficulties" (Bertha getting all jammed up, and since she can only go forward, and can't go backwards, they had to dig a 120 foot deep access pit-which just got finished on January 30-Bertha still has to cut through a 20 foot thick wall to get out, if she can't do it, then workers will have to mine through the wall ) now they don't know when it will be finished...maybe 2017.

Today some workers have fallen 25 feet, a portion of an elevator shaft wall collapsed.
    http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/02/12/sr-99-tunnel/23311865/

Work has been delayed again, L&I has to investigate.

- Christopher McCandless