RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited February 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
So...they decided to tear down the Viaduct here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM9yMxnl8fAqXwik_thBlPAIyHN-u5UMHO5glvAHjgiPC0mYb2

and put in a 'deep bore tunnel':

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUv_HwmZfRvP5tDoIkYyIwLfSyHvlBOGGjEBuUItGy2uGb1PwVPw

and put in a bunch of parks:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0fewOZuya0mcjtcW_1fAxZi5tShHTaoY6JcIr6t5O9Y1kdlyZlg

Even though people repeatedly vote down the tunnel and want to re-build the viaduct, the city still went with the tunnel (the tunnel costs more than a re-build).

I've always wanted the re-build, they are going to take away lots of parking under the viaduct, and that drive along the waterfront is beautiful....simply amazing.

The news is doing some segments on 'The Big Dig' and how Boston feels about it...the news can be subjective. Tell me how do you really feel about that project. The news did point out that the project went over budget by billions.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by RKCNDY on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    over budget, and under built....from what i remember. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    over budget, and under built....from what i remember. :lol:

I know unlost is pissed she has to 'drive around' because flammables aren't allowed in the tunnel...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    DS1119 wrote:

I want REAL thoughts...not some pompous journalist's views....thanks for playing.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I want REAL thoughts...not some pompous journalist's views....thanks for playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

i'm sure you read this already..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

big dig has to be one of the biggest jokes in american road building history. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • They are tearing down that road in Seattle? It is kindof an eyesore, but you're right, lotta parking underneath. It'll open up that area A LOT. And chances are, it'll be a hell of a lot better built and better managed than that quagmire we had/have here.

The Big Dig started when I was a kid and in many ways, is still going on. The politics in Mass are ridiculous. They "finished" it and then a panel came down and killed some poor woman. Then a sink hole opened up the size of a swimming pool. Every time I drive thru the tunnel I get nervous I'm die. Fun stuff.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Every time I drive thru the tunnel I get nervous I'm die. Fun stuff.

:lol:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    DS1119 wrote:

That's how I feel when I walk in the Fenway concourse.
    They are tearing down that road in Seattle? It is kindof an eyesore, but you're right, lotta parking underneath. It'll open up that area A LOT. And chances are, it'll be a hell of a lot better built and better managed than that quagmire we had/have here.

The Big Dig started when I was a kid and in many ways, is still going on. The politics in Mass are ridiculous. They "finished" it and then a panel came down and killed some poor woman. Then a sink hole opened up the size of a swimming pool. Every time I drive thru the tunnel I get nervous I'm die. Fun stuff.

That is what I'm afraid of...they said 'we will re-enforce the sea wall' but, I'm not so sure of that. Every time they expand or build a new road near the water (any body of water), usually a sinkhole appears because it rains here so much. Then the 'only road' is closed while they try to fix it.

People already are scared to drive the viaduct as it is, one good quake, and down it goes...I figure, at least you have a chance to run...you're stuck in a tunnel.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Walk , ride a bike , jog , take the T if you have to.
    The BIG DIG refers to you flatlander, bubble butt Bostonians digging your fork in to a 10,000 calorie plate at Quincy Market :D:D
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    That is what I'm afraid of...they said 'we will re-enforce the sea wall' but, I'm not so sure of that. Every time they expand or build a new road near the water (any body of water), usually a sinkhole appears because it rains here so much. Then the 'only road' is closed while they try to fix it.

People already are scared to drive the viaduct as it is, one good quake, and down it goes...I figure, at least you have a chance to run...you're stuck in a tunnel.
    The craziest thing for me about that viaduct was the gap in between the sections. But I have more faith in the powers that be in Seattle than I do with these yahoos in Boston. That is such a beautiful area over there. It amazed me when I was out there that they dont have a subway system. For a city that prides themselves on being progressive and green, better public transportation is a necessity i would think.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    RKCNDY wrote:

The craziest thing for me about that viaduct was the gap in between the sections. But I have more faith in the powers that be in Seattle than I do with these yahoos in Boston. That is such a beautiful area over there. It amazed me when I was out there that they dont have a subway system. For a city that prides themselves on being progressive and green, better public transportation is a necessity i would think.

There is perhaps the World's most useless monorail in Seattle though! :lol:

scm04.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So as someone who commuted into Boston daily before, during and after The Big Dig:

Pre-Big-Dig: It would take me at least 50 minutes to commute to my destination approximately 8 miles from my home, because the only option for me was one two-lane tunnel that merged onto the Central Artery, which was the old elevated section of I-93 that ran through Boston north/south.

If there was an accident on the Central Artery, or a breakdown in the tunnel _ add more time.

During The Big Dig: I prefer not to recollect how painful commuting was when you'd go to work one route, then they'd close sections of the tunnels and/or highway, or offramps, or onramps, and you'd have to drive miles out of your way to get home.

Post Big Dig: My daily commute is now 30 minutes, door-to-door (barring accidents or other unforseen circumstances.) It's 15 miles to work now. Pre Big-Dig I probably would not have taken this job, because it would have taken me upwards of an hour to get here.

And it is a GIANT pain in the ass that I have to haul my travel trailer through downtown Boston on surface roads, or go literally 25 miles out of my way, because I can't take it into any of the tunnels due to the on board propane tanks.

:x
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

:lol::lol::lol:

they have been trying to put in a light rail system for years! Tacoma has the Sounder so peeps can train it to games, and it goes to the airport, but it's a lot of "I don't want light rail in my back yard" and a bunch of businesses and residents that refuse to sell/move.

Downtown the bus system is fine. If you live on the eastside (Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland) the bus sucks...apparently if you live there, you're too rich to take the bus.

Seattle has actually spent more money pushing the tunnel project instead of just going ahead and building it (for the last 10 years or something). I think they've spent enough on fighting over a tunnel or re-build and could have already re-built it already.

- Christopher McCandless
    DS1119 wrote:

scm04.jpg

I love the monorail. Faster than taking the bus from Seattle Center to Westlake and about the same price, I have walked the route...once, and that will be the last time.

It is considered a 'historical landmark' so they won't tear it down.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

scm04.jpg

I love the monorail. Faster than taking the bus from Seattle Center to Westlake and about the same price, I have walked the route...once, and that will be the last time.

It is considered a 'historical landmark' so they won't tear it down.

It's 1.2 miles long! :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

it was built for the World's Fair...so basically a Disney inspired 'People Mover' :P

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

it was built for the World's Fair...so basically a Disney inspired 'People Mover' :P

There are roller coasters that are longer than that! :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I love that show! Sheldon is the funniest! Bazinga!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    They are tearing down that road in Seattle? It is kindof an eyesore, but you're right, lotta parking underneath. It'll open up that area A LOT. And chances are, it'll be a hell of a lot better built and better managed than that quagmire we had/have here.

this

i don't do bridges or tunnels very well
    in tunnels i am freaked out as well as i am freaked out while driving over a bridge. i can't win.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i thought you lived in the woods with the hillbillies

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    DS1119 wrote:

That's how I feel when I walk in the Fenway concourse.

As it very well should be.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    As one who travels the Big Dig tunnel systems almost daily, I have to say it is better than it was. The Greenway where the Central Artery used to be is very nice (even though it costs taxpayers millions per year to maintain) and I think traffic flows more smoothly than before. Having said that, the politics and swindling and downright theft of money by the higher ups was disgusting. A project that was projected to cost between $5-6 billion dollars soared to over $16 billion at the end and EVERY night they do work in the tunnel with about 8-10 state troopers on paid detail stationed throughout the tunnel. So the money is constantly being spent even now on this project. Federal money was used on this project as well so most of the people who paid for it have never even seen it in person.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • All I remember is that it too forever and was very costly, however it made a huge difference in traffic and it provided a lot of jobs.
  • Yeah and that Kennedy greenway was nice until the Occupiers destroyed it and turned it into the Kennedy brownway
  • Only $16 billion so traffic flows better. Gotta love it.
    i remember every truck driver i ever talked to all they wanted to do was avoid Boston. avoid the east coast all together and avoid California. good to go.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Oh yeah, and on top of that it was found that substandard building materials were used to ensure that constant repairs would be needed for the next ten generations.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Good point. They used recycled concrete to pour the casts for the tunnel and the Zakim. All so the scumbags white shirts from Bechtel Parsons-Brinkerhoff could pocket the savings. No wonder the friggen thing leaks like a sieve.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • DS1119 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

scm04.jpg
    You, my friend, have obviously never paid a visit to Jacksonville FL. Now THAT is the most useless monorail system ever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTA_Skyway
    We were but stones your light made us stars