Options

Foreclosure or shortsale? update-My shady lawyer

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    polaris_x said:

is this a US thing, a florida thing or what? ... anyone know if this is happening in canada? ... i will fully admit that i don't understand all the nuances of JP's situation but it just seems like everyone is out to get his and to hell with the consequences ... from the banks to the fucking lawyer onwards ...

in any case - i hope it all works out for you JP

I dont know outside of the US with this stuff...when the housing market tanked here in 2006, I think Florida, Nevada and a few others were hit the hardest. My guess is the transient nature of the people and the amount of properties that were purchased for investment and/or retirement. A lot of bad loans were given to people who really shouldnt have received them. And there was a sudden surge in ARM loans which schedule a tiered payment plan where you pay all interest at a very low payment for 3 or 5 years, then it goes up considerably. People go into these loans and couldnt get out.

Now the lawyers -- they were ready to pounce on this. Lots of people were desperate and vulnerable and the lawyers promised that they could help. Personally, my lawyer worked with a realtor that had connections with 5-6 investors who bought up short sales for cheap and flipped them or rent them out and become slum lords. So a lot of the really bad neighborhoods got worse quickly. And the lawyers - such as mine - think they dont have to do any work until it closes. My lawyer literally sent maybe 2-3 emails and made maybe 2 phone calls to the lender in two years and is now keeping my money.

Banks are actually starting to work with people though...from what I hear...unfortunately for me though, they did inspections on the house at noon on a monday and dont walk the street in between bullets on a friday night gang fight. Their abilities to appraise certain areas are off, and those people will tend to suffer.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    polaris_x said:

is this a US thing, a florida thing or what? ... anyone know if this is happening in canada? ... i will fully admit that i don't understand all the nuances of JP's situation but it just seems like everyone is out to get his and to hell with the consequences ... from the banks to the fucking lawyer onwards ...

banks & lawyers... the whole bunch is ruthless as can be down here. sure some lawyers are decent & have scruples. big banks... forget about it.

bank of america
    i'll tell my story on BOA

my first mistake was signing up with these thieves. my second mistake was being my usual carefree self & not reading their bullshit fine ass print at the very bottom of the page. so i was a cross country truck driver & not home but a few days at a time. BOA charges a guy a overdraft type fee when (on a certain day of the month) their checking account has less than $500 in it. for years BOA fucking robbed me because i held less than $500 in my checking account. im out running up & down highways across north america & i am making $$$ & i am also spending $$$ as it costs a whole fucking lot to run a tractor trailer around. truck stops are over priced traps.

when i finally found out what had been happening for years i am certain BOA got me for many many hundreds of dollars if not a easy grand or more. fuckers!!!

i am not business wise like these assholes because who would think a bank would charge a fee for holding less than $500 in one's checking account on a certain date of the month? what a fucking scam

how many hundreds of thousands of ppl are getting fucked like this every damn day/month? a whole fucking lot!!! BOA is rotten
    BOA is literally making millions off of ppl with this bullshit concept that a ton of people do not know about
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

banks & lawyers... the whole bunch is ruthless as can be down here. sure some lawyers are decent & have scruples. big banks... forget about it.

bank of america

my first mistake was signing up with these thieves. my second mistake was being my usual carefree self & not reading their bullshit fine ass print at the very bottom of the page. so i was a cross country truck driver & not home but a few days at a time. BOA charges a guy a overdraft type fee when (on a certain day of the month) their checking account has less than $500 in it. for years BOA fucking robbed me because i held less than $500 in my checking account. im out running up & down highways across north america & i am making $$$ & i am also spending $$$ as it costs a whole fucking lot to run a tractor trailer around. truck stops are over priced traps.

when i finally found out what had been happening for years i am certain BOA got me for many many hundreds of dollars if not a easy grand or more. fuckers!!!

i am not business wise like these assholes because who would think a bank would charge a fee for holding less than $500 in one's checking account on a certain date of the month? what a fucking scam

how many hundreds of thousands of ppl are getting fucked like this every damn day/month? a whole fucking lot!!! BOA is rotten
    BOA is literally making millions off of ppl with this bullshit concept that a ton of people do not know about

Ummm. Pretty much everyone. $500 is actually a low requirement. Most banks require more to get free banking. Though it's usually on your average daily balance and not a given day, but maybe your account was slightly different. I've known that since I was 8 years old. It's pretty standard. It costs them money to have accounts that are not generating income in other ways (evening float, loans, etc.). You weren't being robbed. You were being charged for a service. If you didn't think the service worth it, you should have seeked another matress to keep your money under.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

It can happen anywhere, but a lot of what happened was that folks bought houses they couldn't afford for inflated prices. They then took loans they couldn't afford and because Clinton forced banks to increase lending to lower income populations and Bush did nothing to abate the practice, the US ended up with a lot of houses "under water." (The increase loans had a part in artificially inflating prices - it was a terrible spiral that the US is still paying for).

Then the banks got blamed instead of the real culprits - the politicians that believed the path to happiness is everyone owning a house even if they couldn't afford it. Not saying the banks didn't play a part in it. Of course, they were more than happy to do as they were told as it meant more income. And not to turn this thread into a political discussion, but that's why the Feds were FORCED to bail out the banks. Promise made by threat - make the loans or else - is a promise they had to keep (And again, the banks were all too willing to go along with it as they knew this was the "worst case scenario" - bail out - while they reaped the rewards before the bubble burst).

It kind of sucks that there are shady lawyers, et. al. that are taking advantage of folks that got caught up in all this. But, where there's a dire situation, there's always shady characters to take advantage of folks.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ya ... i'm heading to orlando next week for a golf trip and we're renting one of those mcmansions for pretty cheap ...

i guess it doesn't help if there is a gang and drug culture also ... shitty
  • Options
    edited January 2014

chadwick said:

bank of america

Ummm. Pretty much everyone. $500 is actually a low requirement. Most banks require more to get free banking. Though it's usually on your average daily balance and not a given day, but maybe your account was slightly different. I've known that since I was 8 years old. It's pretty standard. It costs them money to have accounts that are not generating income in other ways (evening float, loans, etc.). You weren't being robbed. You were being charged for a service. If you didn't think the service worth it, you should have seeked another matress to keep your money under.

you're more knowledgeable on banking bullshit than myself. the small town banks in iowa where i banked at before moving out west never had such a fee. it is robbery & that is that. you knew all about these fees since 8 yrs old? wow, you're one slick fucking responsible kid, dude

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    another funny thing

the BOA's out west do not have coin counter machines. funny shit. small town banks in iowa all have coin counters & they will count & exchange coins for paper money. BOA makes a guy put coins in rolls. fucking bunk ass BOA sucks large ones

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906

Thanks guys! Yes, its an unfortunate situation, but it looks like its finally coming to an end. This lawyer has left such a bad taste in my mouth. You'd cringe if you saw the email chain exchange yesterday. And they wont answer any of my calls or my last email. I'm contacting a new lawyer and i'll probably look into complaints and Florida Bar assoc..

Yeah Chadwick, BoA was tough to work with. Green Tree was bad at first, but Im thankful that they offered me a deed in lieu with no deficiency judgement.

I'd also contact your states Attorney General. This seems a scam and these guys scam artists . Was it in your contract with them that $1000 and no more money what so ever?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

polaris_x said:

It can happen anywhere, but a lot of what happened was that folks bought houses they couldn't afford for inflated prices. They then took loans they couldn't afford and because Clinton forced banks to increase lending to lower income populations and Bush did nothing to abate the practice, the US ended up with a lot of houses "under water." (The increase loans had a part in artificially inflating prices - it was a terrible spiral that the US is still paying for).

Then the banks got blamed instead of the real culprits - the politicians that believed the path to happiness is everyone owning a house even if they couldn't afford it. Not saying the banks didn't play a part in it. Of course, they were more than happy to do as they were told as it meant more income. And not to turn this thread into a political discussion, but that's why the Feds were FORCED to bail out the banks. Promise made by threat - make the loans or else - is a promise they had to keep (And again, the banks were all too willing to go along with it as they knew this was the "worst case scenario" - bail out - while they reaped the rewards before the bubble burst).

It kind of sucks that there are shady lawyers, et. al. that are taking advantage of folks that got caught up in all this. But, where there's a dire situation, there's always shady characters to take advantage of folks.
    sooo ... you're saying people were dumb to try and buy a home they couldn't afford and that the combination of poor gov't policies and unscrupulous people led to all of this?

i just don't know if one up here where I live would ever of gotten approved for such a loan ... and what caused the housing market to be inflated and priced unrealistically? ... the fact anyone could buy one?
  • Options
    chadwick said:

chadwick said:

bank of america

you're more knowledgeable on banking bullshit than myself. the small town banks in iowa where i banked at before moving out west never had such a fee. it is robbery & that is that. you knew all about these fees since 8 yrs old? wow, you're one slick fucking responsible kid, dude
    Well, as kids our school took us on a field trip to a bank. :)). And maybe 8 was an exaggeration (though it was around that time).
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Thanks guys! Yes, its an unfortunate situation, but it looks like its finally coming to an end. This lawyer has left such a bad taste in my mouth. You'd cringe if you saw the email chain exchange yesterday. And they wont answer any of my calls or my last email. I'm contacting a new lawyer and i'll probably look into complaints and Florida Bar assoc..

Yeah Chadwick, BoA was tough to work with. Green Tree was bad at first, but Im thankful that they offered me a deed in lieu with no deficiency judgement.

I'd also contact your states Attorney General. This seems a scam and these guys scam artists . Was it in your contract with them that $1000 and no more money what so ever?
    Thanks Mickey, I'll check that out too. The lawyer was referred to me by a friend, so I thought it would be fine. But I found a few similar complaints to mine online about these folks.

The $1k fee was in the contract, as was the line that if the Lawyers didnt negotiate a short sale, I am entitled to a full refund. But the "no additional costs" was not in the contract... That was told to me verbally on several occasions. I know, silly me, shouldve gotten it in writing!

Polaris, prices were skyrocketing so quickly in Florida in the early 2000s that people rushed out to buy before they were unable to afford anything. I made a decent/average salary and could only afford in a terrible neighborhood. buyers took on those ARM (interest only)mortgages as I explained earlier, assuming they'd sell or figure out the tiered payment increases later. Then they were screwed when they couldnt sell.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited January 2014
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sooo ... you're saying people were dumb to try and buy a home they couldn't afford and that the combination of poor gov't policies and unscrupulous people led to all of this?

i just don't know if one up here where I live would ever of gotten approved for such a loan ... and what caused the housing market to be inflated and priced unrealistically? ... the fact anyone could buy one?
    Yes and yes. There is a little personal repsonsibility involved as well. When I hear the prices folks were paying for houses I thought I'd gone into the wrong profession. I though I was doing well and all these folks were buying houses I wouldn't even look at and wondered where they got all the money from. Well, the answer to that question is - the tax payers in later years.

So, all these folks had pre-approved loans for inflated amounts and went about bidding houses up with no thought of how they were going to afford the payments. There was a time houses would routinely go for above asking price. So, folks started speculating, to further drive up the prices. It was all very silly and was obvious it would come home to roost at some point. The initial timing of all this went hand in hand with Clinton insisting loans become easier to procure. He is really a much worse President than folks realize. Sorry to divert this thread. But, it is direlctly linked to those wrong headed philosphy and it's taken us 20 years and we're still not quite out from under it.
  • Options
    I agree Edson...I was extremely careful buying my first house, but I caved and did a 5 year interest only ARM because my plan was to stay for 3-4 years then sell. Luckily I sold before 2006. But my next place (the one in short sale) i did a conventional 30 year loan and it was considerably more for each payment, the difference was amazing, so I can see how those crappy loans were misleading people.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    polaris_x said:

The short answer: No. This is not happening in Canada, because Canada's banks are highly regulated compared to American banks (thank god), and so those who can't afford a particular price of a house don't qualify for the mortgage loan. So we didn't have a housing crash. Someone said this could happen anywhere... no it couldn't. It coupd only happen anywhere that àllows banks to run willy nilly because tjeu decided regulation is a bad thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Yes and yes. There is a little personal repsonsibility involved as well. When I hear the prices folks were paying for houses I thought I'd gone into the wrong profession. I though I was doing well and all these folks were buying houses I wouldn't even look at and wondered where they got all the money from. Well, the answer to that question is - the tax payers in later years.

So, all these folks had pre-approved loans for inflated amounts and went about bidding houses up with no thought of how they were going to afford the payments. There was a time houses would routinely go for above asking price. So, folks started speculating, to further drive up the prices. It was all very silly and was obvious it would come home to roost at some point. The initial timing of all this went hand in hand with Clinton insisting loans become easier to procure. He is really a much worse President than folks realize. Sorry to divert this thread. But, it is direlctly linked to those wrong headed philosphy and it's taken us 20 years and we're still not quite out from under it.

I have to agree with Edson - how on earth can anyone sign their name to a contract with terms by which they are unable to abide? To KNOW they can't afford it?

I'm going to have to get a new car to replace my 17-yr-old (!!!) one at some point this year. I'm aware that anything over X amount will be beyond my realm...so, I simply won't go beyond X amount.

Not only in this sense - so many I see abdicating or excusing the consequences of their actions - there is accountability to be held all-around. Responsibility. Simple common sense.

As far as the JP situation...hope you know I wish you well! From what I know of you (and have read in this read), you don't strike me as someone who would act foolhardy (assuming we set aside the younger, sassier years of Mr. Pistachio!), especially when it comes to the safety - personal as well as financial - of your family.

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I think people take foolhardy risks with credit because most people get so little financial education. Usually all they see is how their parents handled money and they either do it the same way or do it the opposite. People can get sucked into kind of magical thinking that the even something seems expensive, it will all work out. They don't consider that they may not get a raise, or they might be laid off, or have a serious health crisis.

And it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little money people make if they don't know how to handle a budget.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    yes if you are buying a 550,000 house & get another 100 grand loan you had better be making some $$$. a 500,000 home here is one incredible brick home on a hill. should a janitor or mcdonald's guy sign up for such a deal? YES please sign up
    :((

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    but it seems like there are at least 3 parties that make it happen:

1. an ignorant buyer
    2. an unscrupulous bank
    3. a conperson real estate agent

just sad what people will do to make a buck ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

but it seems like there are at least 3 parties that make it happen:

1. an ignorant buyer
    2. an unscrupulous bank
    3. a conperson real estate agent

just sad what people will do to make a buck ...

Yes, that is the worst case scenario. But it happened a lot with buyers who werent ignorant. They were over eager and thought they could get out by selling. They took too many risks...ok, thats also ignorance I guess haha

Banks...you nailed that one.

Real estate agents...now, there were a lot of legitimate agents who were just doing their jobs. Its the brokers who pushed the risky loans. By the way, on a side note, there are (were) a lot of real estate agents down here who were making millions with very little work. One of my best friends mothers admitted she barely did any work and sold a few waterfront properties here and there and made tons of money. Florida was insane for realtors up until 2005/6.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I have to agree with Edson - how on earth can anyone sign their name to a contract with terms by which they are unable to abide? To KNOW they can't afford it?

I'm going to have to get a new car to replace my 17-yr-old (!!!) one at some point this year. I'm aware that anything over X amount will be beyond my realm...so, I simply won't go beyond X amount.

Not only in this sense - so many I see abdicating or excusing the consequences of their actions - there is accountability to be held all-around. Responsibility. Simple common sense.

As far as the JP situation...hope you know I wish you well! From what I know of you (and have read in this read), you don't strike me as someone who would act foolhardy (assuming we set aside the younger, sassier years of Mr. Pistachio!), especially when it comes to the safety - personal as well as financial - of your family.

Thanks Hedonist...yeah I made a decent salary and could have continued to afford my old house. I did lose quite a bit of freelance work, so my income did suffer around 2006/7... my decision to short sale was mostly for safety and piece of mind (and somewhat an economic strategy).

I admit I made mistakes along the way. I knew the neighborhood wasnt too good. But I never imagined a prostitution house would open across the street or there would be 20+ bullet houses shot into that brothel.

• Options
    by the way, here is the response form my lawyer when I asked for the refund of my $1k:

"For over a year, this firm has worked and negotiated with your lender, and we were very happy to have successfully secured an approved short sale for your distressed property. This approval provided to us from your lender also would have forgiven any deficiency owed to your lender after the short sale.

Therefore, as per your client retainer agreement with the Nott Law Group, you are not entitled to a refund of the $1,000."

here is the line from the contract I initially signed the contract: "This fee is fully refundable if Law Firm does not negotiate a short sale approved by Client’s lender. "

Im assuming the problem is within how that line is interpreted. I said to my lawyer in my last email that yes, they successfully negotiated a sale "price," but a short "sale" was not negotiated.

They wont answer my email. damn it, I hate this stuff.
  • Options
    i would say it was a scam right from the get go

do you have any of those newspapers/local tv peeps that take your case public and act on your behalf!?? ... sometimes a public shaming is all that would work ...
  • Options
    fuck the law firm & fuck it all. move forward & forget about the negative as it will drive you batty. lawyers are many times thieves & have no morals, not all but many are like this, it is a common fact.

i forget, have you relocated already?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I agree polaris...Then later they tried to tell me there was a closing and I needed to give them $500 more for title search. there was no closing. Total scam. I am looking at every possible avenue to expose these cocksuckers.

chadwich, you're right. its has been driving me crazy the last two days. The negative from this is bad all the way around. I need to let go, but not until I get the word out so others dont fall for this shit too.

yes, I relocated to a better neighborhood. Fewer gunshots, hookers, and gangs. Best decision I ever made. Im not afraid to go outdoors. I even run in the mornings...not from bullets lol
    Post edited by JonnyPistachio on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Thanks Hedonist...yeah I made a decent salary and could have continued to afford my old house. I did lose quite a bit of freelance work, so my income did suffer around 2006/7... my decision to short sale was mostly for safety and piece of mind (and somewhat an economic strategy).

I admit I made mistakes along the way. I knew the neighborhood wasnt too good. But I never imagined a prostitution house would open across the street or there would be 20+ bullet houses shot into that brothel.

I hear you. There's much to be said for peace of mind, of soul. Home should be your sanctuary, not a place where worry and stress permeate your environment. Sometimes I kick myself for taking for granted living in a neighborhood where I feel pretty safe.

If this can't be resolved (and it's continuing to drive you nuts), maybe just chalk it up to...sometimes bad shit happens to good people (not intended to sound harsh)...and hopefully you can get the word out on that POS "lawyer".

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    So sorry you got scammed JP image...banks were too greedy and probably perpetuated the greed by telling their lending agents "Hey, sign X amount of loans and we'll give you a bonus on top of your commission" I inquired about a re-finance and the girl wouldn't stop bugging me, telling me "you have to come in and sign the paperwork" I was like "I only inquired how much I could save, not that I wanted to go thru with it" image

When we bought, the house was in pre-foreclosure, so we got a deal (right at the height of the bubble)...but now can't sell it for a profit...so we're renting it out.

Crime in the new hood is higher than average, but the market is really strong...go figure.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ahh, thanks Rkcndy... I also crunched the numbers on renting out my old place. -300 each month!
    Some of these people are cutthroat as hell. Sign and move on, is what they want form us!

So, and update to the laywer situation -- I called yesterday and left a message saying if they didnt issue a refund in seven days that they leave me no other choice but to issue a complaint with the Florida Bar assoc. I got a call this morning..an assistant said he'd run it by the boss again. I said I'd even settle for a partial refund. He was nice and said he'd see what he could do. I'm not expecting much, but at least its gone to the top now.
  • Options
    probably should have not disclosed that you would settle for a partial refund ... :-\"
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

probably should have not disclosed that you would settle for a partial refund ... :-\"

I said $750 (out of 1K). I said to them I was just trying to be fair, because they did spent time on the case, although I believe I am entitled to the whole refund.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    good for you, jp
    i hope you get your $$$

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce