Irving Plaza - Notes, Recap, Etc.

Comments

• JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    bat2144 wrote:
    Thank you. God forbid someone says something bad about a show. People are lining up to crucify me. I'm sorry that I had much higher expectations than to see the shortest PJ show of my life. Jeez. I still had a blast, I just wish it was longer. Is that so horrible? I'm truly sorry that other people have tougher times getting tickets to pearl jam concerts, but I dont have to cater my opinions just because of that fact.

My whole life I waited to see PJ at a small venue like that, (in new york no less!) and I got the shortest show of my life. I apologize for not thinking it was the greatest show ever. And I'm sorry for whoever wasn't able to be there.

I wasn't there, but after reading some of the reviews everyone said it was REALLY hot and everyone was sweating A LOT.

I'm sure that factored into the shorter set. I saw PJ at both Borgata shows which were each 2.5 hours, although I think they would have been longer if the band wasn't worried about the fans stamina and health.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    JD Sal wrote:
    That was an excellent review, thanks!! That's really cool that Mike handed out signed copies of the CD. Gotta love PJ!

By the way, here's a link to the reworked Garden http://www.droptheleash.com/radio1/8.%20Garden.mp3

Thanks for the Garden Link.

Where did you get it? Is it from last night?
    rssesq wrote:
    the cool old bouncer left the side door open for most of the show so i heard the entire first set.

Got there around 5:30. About 100 people looking for a tick but NONE to be found.

Five minutes before the show a lady came out front and was handing out tickets for free, i wasnt rude or quick enuff.

Shook Fleas hand when he walked in solo so that was ok and even chatted with Ian from Anthrax who was ouyt side on the rail for about a half hour. Also so one of the ramone bros leaving early.

I couldnt get in but im going to every first leg show cept DC and Chicago so until Tuesday, peace n chicken grease.

Yeah i did hear about the lady giving tix....but i was on the other side by the side door when we heard the news so we ran to the front of the venue but we were too late..
    :(
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 475
    JD Sal wrote:
    I wasn't there, but after reading some of the reviews everyone said it was REALLY hot and everyone was sweating A LOT.

I'm sure that factored into the shorter set. I saw PJ at both Borgata shows which were each 2.5 hours, although I think they would have been longer if the band wasn't worried about the fans stamina and health.

It was extremely hot in there....everyone was dripping wet. But I think the show was on the short side because it wasnt an actual tour show, just a warmup show. Sort of like spring training, you dont have your star pitcher go out and throw 9 innings right away

Anyways....absolutley an incredible time. The new songs are great live, and this tour is gonna be sick !!!

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    touringfan wrote:
    Garden sounded different. (not bad just different I wasnt able to put my finger on it I will have to listen to the show again before i figure it out)

:eek:
    did you record the show ? Have any files to share or MP3s ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • FuBaRFuBaR Posts: 35
    yah if that Garden file was from last night thats an awesome recording , any more??
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    WashMyLove wrote:
    Thanks for the Garden Link.

Where did you get it? Is it from last night?

It's actually from the Radio 1 BBC recordings.

PJ played WWS, Severed Hand, Why Go, and Garden.

You can check it out here along with the interviews.

http://www.droptheleash.com/radio1/
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    nice work touring fan
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • blarrgblarrg Posts: 47
    frogwater wrote:
    boo hoo. maybe next time the band will personally fly you into one of their next shows, completely free of charge, and sit you on the stage for the entire show. but then you'd probably complain because they only served you peanuts on the flight, and didn't even offer to show "sleepless in seattle" as the in-flight movie.

what a baby.

lmao

They would also need to throw in a few martinis, get flights to the next 5 shows, and build an add on to Eddie's house so he can live there for a while. And provide job & relocation services.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    thanks for that great writeup - i'm envious! looking forward to next week....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JD Sal wrote:
    It's actually from the Radio 1 BBC recordings.

PJ played WWS, Severed Hand, Why Go, and Garden.

You can check it out here along with the interviews.

http://www.droptheleash.com/radio1/

Thank You for that!
    I really appreciated :)
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    touringfan, good to hear you had a great time!

I can't wait for Albany!!!!! 6 days!!!!!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • show was a tad short but i guess i understand, if they would of plasyed hail, hail & last exit like on setlist would of been cool,

that being said it was amazing so surreal seeing PJ in a small venue, Irving none the less, amazing, moshing, jumping, people crowd surfing, what an experience, something i will never forget,

highlights are choice of better man or SOLAT, SOLAT winning in a landslide, new saongs are freakin amazing, so rocking,

eddie going into the crowd for Porch wow , circa 92 : )
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • dylan raindylan rain Posts: 35
    This was my first pearl jam show, a very nice way to start the madness.

my sister had camped out with the army of loyal, but I was out in Cali. She couldn't get me a ticket but I went down to Irving Plaza anyway.

I ended up waiting with the group of "nonticket holders" and saw Flea. He gave me his ticket- he's officially my favorite person ever. I felt like Charlie winning a golden ticket. I swear, I should play the lotto or something

I almost got beat up, working my way through the crowd to find my sister up front, we had been waiting on line all day. We stood on Stone's side and had an amazing view. What an amazing night.
  • Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Posts: 1,383
    I'd assume this has been asked/answered elsewhere, but hell, at least I'm not starting a whole new thread...
    Was this recorded in video/audio? Are there torrents up yet or at least being worked on? Any helpful answers are appreciated :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    It was a great show. I loved it.
    I miss igotid88
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    dylan rain wrote:

my sister had camped out with the army of loyal, but I was out in Cali. She couldn't get me a ticket but I went down to Irving Plaza anyway.

I ended up waiting with the group of "nonticket holders" and saw Flea. He gave me his ticket- he's officially my favorite person ever. I felt like Charlie winning a golden ticket. I swear, I should play the lotto or something

I almost got beat up, working my way through the crowd to find my sister up front, we had been waiting on line all day. We stood on Stone's side and had an amazing view. What an amazing night.

I think I talked to you before the show, you were hanging out with Oscar right?.... I'm glad you got in dude
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • blarrgblarrg Posts: 47
    dylan rain wrote:

W00t!!! Flea gave you a ticket? Thats nuuts
  • touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    13PJ13 wrote:
    I'd assume this has been asked/answered elsewhere, but hell, at least I'm not starting a whole new thread...
    Was this recorded in video/audio? Are there torrents up yet or at least being worked on? Any helpful answers are appreciated :)

Yes it was audioed by fans and they will be torrenting it. The Video was shot by the venue and was a two cam pro shot mix that could be viewd on the plasma in the dressing room off the right of the stage. ( I doubt that will ever get out but it was def. shot )
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    touringfan wrote:
    Yes it was audioed by fans and they will be torrenting it. The Video was shot by the venue and was a two cam pro shot mix that could be viewd on the plasma in the dressing room off the right of the stage. ( I doubt that will ever get out but it was def. shot )

Torrents are already running on Youkanfakoff.com - it's a decent recording, hopefully an even better one will surface. Besides the cameras on the balcony, Kevin was also shooting footage from around the venue and the side of the stage. It would be cool for a DVD to pop up, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it did.

As for the shortness of the set - there are a few factors. One, it was a warmup show. Two, it was hot as fuck in there - you think it's hot in the audience, try being on stage with all those lights adding about 10 degrees. Ed was soaked through after about 6 songs, as was everyone alongside me on the rail. Also, Irving Plaza apparently gave them an 11 30 curfew - I know the show ran until only 11 20, but oh well.

Regardless, between sleeping outside of Tower on Sunday, and sleeping outside of Irving Plaza on Thursday - I waited 50 hours total before even getting inside, and I know others that waited even longer... and I will say that the entire experience was totally worth it.

Oh, and fyi - while the whole holding Ed up thing during Porch looks cool from the middle and back of the venue, let's just say that when you're the one holding him up, you wake up in need of a chiropractor, cuts on your arm, and a headache. But it was pretty cool.
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 367
    Nice review and not a bad set list.

For a "warmup" show, I think 22 songs isn't too shabby... ;) There are tons of people who wish they could have been there for the *short* show.

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • ziggy21ziggy21 Posts: 23
    A security guard I was standing next to during the show told me they hit the stage 20 minutes later than they were supposed to. That might have played a factor in the shorter set as well.

I was offered $2000 for my tickets when I got to Irving Plaza and I'll never regret turning that offer down! It was an amazing show that I'll never forget. Thanks 10C!!!
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    dte421 wrote:
    Torrents are already running on Youkanfakoff.com - it's a decent recording, hopefully an even better one will surface.
    how exactly do you use torrents. i downloaded it onto my computer i guess but now its just sitting in this folder i dont know how to use it or anything. any help?
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    ziggy21 wrote:
    A security guard I was standing next to during the show told me they hit the stage 20 minutes later than they were supposed to. That might have played a factor in the shorter set as well.

You Are correct. i heard tim beirman from the ten club tell some friends before the show that the band would Go on at 9. they didn't hit the stage until 9:20. i also think the band was exhausted from the heat in that tiny place. ed was drenched and looked exhausted, and i'm sure he could tell that the people in the front were exhausted too. it was the perfect length if U ask me. they hit it hard and left us wanting for more. GREAT NIGHT!
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • bat2144 wrote:
    Look, the set was great. I loved the show. But, for what some fans went through for tickets, including myself, it was just too short. I'm sorry. I hate to be negative about a show, especially a good one, which it was, but, under two hours? Come on guys, not cool. I don't know. I wasn't upset, but what did they have to do afterwards that they couldnt play another half hour?

It was honestly a great set. But not even two hours. I don't have much more to say but that. Awesome atmosphere and energy, which is what makes up for the shortness, but I mean, why? Why so short? I don't know. I'm just rambling. Glad I was there. And also glad the ticket was free.

It was the most effort I ever put forth for PJ tickets, and it was the shortest show I've seen out of 14.

I dont know what else to say. I think Ive repeated myself 4 times. I'm done.

I know a lot of people have already said this, but I just feel the overwhelming urge to express my complete bewilderment... you're complaining that a WARMUP show that was FREE of charge only lasted A LITTLE UNDER TWO HOURS, which is more than most bands play in a standard show anyway?

Jesus. Pearl Jam fans really are spoiled.
    I'm just glad I live in South America and have some fucking perspective.
    "Looking in the eyes of the farmer
    You've got to know your banana
    Banana! Banana!
    Banana! Banana!
    WWOOOEEEHEHHUUHHHJ!!!!!!!!!"
  • guertin32guertin32 Posts: 205
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • guertin32 wrote:

AWESOME! Thanks!!!
    Cook 'em - just to see the look on their faces
  • dylan raindylan rain Posts: 35
    I know a lot of people have already said this, but I just feel the overwhelming urge to express my complete bewilderment... you're complaining that a WARMUP show that was FREE of charge only lasted A LITTLE UNDER TWO HOURS, which is more than most bands play in a standard show anyway?

Jesus. Pearl Jam fans really are spoiled.
    I'm just glad I live in South America and have some fucking perspective.

not to mention that this is what most bands play as a standard. people forget that PJ plays epics for shows
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    PJammin' wrote:
    You Are correct. i heard tim beirman from the ten club tell some friends before the show that the band would Go on at 9. they didn't hit the stage until 9:20. i also think the band was exhausted from the heat in that tiny place. ed was drenched and looked exhausted, and i'm sure he could tell that the people in the front were exhausted too. it was the perfect length if U ask me. they hit it hard and left us wanting for more. GREAT NIGHT!

i really think that was it too. i was surpirsed they didn't play longer, just what i am accustomed to, but it was hot as hades in there...and ed did look exhausted! they played their hearts out for us, what energy, great show!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• MichaelTMichaelT Posts: 2
    I think people are being a little too hard on bat2144. the guy just wanted more. I understand it was hot, a warm up show and FREE. I'm sure he did too. its not like he didn't appreciate the opportunity or enjoy the show. the guy just wanted to hear more...hell at the end of a show when ledbetter starts i want to hear more. I'm sure everyone on here has left a show saying i wanted hear this or i wish they played that.

however i will say bat2144, i dont think it was your opinion as much as the tone of you initial message that sparked the criticism against you.

enough of that, great time on friday night and all day monday. what a tremendous experience. I met a lot of really cool people. the next month is going to be great...starting Friday!!! im sure ill see a lot of familiar faces on the road.

good review touringfan, i think when the guy jumped from the speaker Ed saw him out of the corner of his eye and said "dont do it" but it was too late.

I couldnt believe how F#@$ING good Come Back was performed!!! WOW