Irving Plaza - Notes, Recap, Etc.

touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Before I head to bed:

worldwide suicide, life wasted, severed hand, marker in the sand, come back, garden, evenflow, insignificance, given to fly, army reserve, gone, why go, present tense, do the evolution, improv, comatose

man of the hour, smalltown, state of love and trust, porch

alive, yellow ledbetter.

Notables and Celebs in balcony: Kelly Curtis, Tim Bierman, Gisele Bundchen (victoria secret model ) David Frike, Jim James of MMJ, Scott Ian from Anthrax (head bobbing to several songs) Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, marky ramone, Fabrizio Moretti from the strokes(siging most songs with a shit eating grin on his face), Drew Barrymore.

Venue - shoebox, smaller than the showbox, like seeing PJ at a college bar where youd expect a cover band to play. HOT AS HELL, Vedder was a sweaty mess.

McCready handed out CDs autographed by the entire band to 90% of those fans on the rail that waited in line all day. Ed asked crowd if they wanted Betterman or SOLT....State of Love and Trust won in a lanslide. Porch was strait out of 1992 -1994, lots of crowd surfing, intense pit, Ed climbed out to the fans as a few fans on the rail held him up for the "hey hey hey hey heyyyyyyyyy" part. Marker in the Sand seems to be a crowd fav and sounded fucking amazing.

The band is very well rehearsed and playing very tight. Come Back live is much better than Come Back album. Some kid climbed the wall and stage dove during SOLAT to which Ed yelled into mike something like "look out" def. caught the band and security by surprise. Garden sounded different. (not bad just different I wasnt able to put my finger on it I will have to listen to the show again before i figure it out) A few on the rail were pointing at Stone during Why Go and yelling WHY GO STONE to which the Stoner laughed. Lots of Stone dances, calling out cords, duck walk etc. Stone had a sweet PJ hat with the new PJ logo from the XMAS single. The improv was about NYC, Stone gave out ALOT of pics which is unusual for him, Ed bummed cigarette of fan during ledbetter as he was looking for his but couldnt find them, Floor was bouncing during GTF and DTE, ALL the new songs were incredilbe and the highlight of the show for me along with Porch. More tomorrow.

What a night.
baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 811
    great review.. sounds like an amazing night!
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    thanks for the recap, nice set, arghhhh :D
    wah
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    wow. i think i missed out on one the greatest pj concerts ever
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    That was an excellent review, thanks!! That's really cool that Mike handed out signed copies of the CD. Gotta love PJ!

By the way, here's a link to the reworked Garden http://www.droptheleash.com/radio1/8.%20Garden.mp3
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • RedGibsonSGRedGibsonSG Posts: 45
    Thanks for the review. A night to remember!
    Dallas '98, Houston '03, Dallas '03, Kisseemee '04, Missoula '05, Toronto '05, Atlantic City #2 '05, Albany '06, Hartford '06, Chicago #1 and #2 '06, Cleveland '06, Detroit '06, Boston #1 '06, Washington DC '08
  • touringfantouringfan Posts: 568

No you didnt. However, it was pretty damm good. The Venue is just so fucking small its hard to describe. The energy was as good as I've seen at a PJ show but it was not in the best show ever category.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 811

why didnt you wait in in line for 8-10 hours..?
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
    one other note - apparently a hanful of tickets were giving away to fans that waited outside the venue after the first two songs were played.
  • touringfan wrote:
    Before I head to bed:

worldwide suicide, life wasted, severed hand, marker in the sand, come back, garden, evenflow, insignificance, given to fly, army reserve, gone, why go, present tense, do the evolution, improv, comatose

alive, yellow ledbetter.

Notables and Celebs in balcony: Kelly Curtis, Tim Bierman, Gisele Bundchen (victoria secret model ) David Frike, Jim James of MMJ, Scott Ian from Anthrax (head bobbing to several songs) Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, marky ramone, Fabrizio Moretti from the strokes(siging most songs with a shit eating grin on his face), Drew Barrymore.

Venue - shoebox, smaller than the showbox, like seeing PJ at a college bar where youd expect a cover band to play. HOT AS HELL, Vedder was a sweaty mess.

McCready handed out CDs autographed by the entire band to 90% of those fans on the rail that waited in line all day. Ed asked crowd if they wanted Betterman or SOLT....State of Love and Trust won in a lanslide. Porch was strait out of 1992 -1994, lots of crowd surfing, intense pit, Ed climbed out to the fans as a few fans on the rail held him up for the "hey hey hey hey heyyyyyyyyy" part. Marker in the Sand seems to be a crowd fav and sounded fucking amazing.

The band is very well rehearsed and playing very tight. Come Back live is much better than Come Back album. Some kid climbed the wall and stage dove during SOLAT to which Ed yelled into mike something like "look out" def. caught the band and security by surprise. Garden sounded different. (not bad just different I wasnt able to put my finger on it I will have to listen to the show again before i figure it out) A few on the rail were pointing at Stone during Why Go and yelling WHY GO STONE to which the Stoner laughed. Lots of Stone dances, calling out cords, duck walk etc. Stone had a sweet PJ hat with the new PJ logo from the XMAS single. The improv was about NYC, Stone gave out ALOT of pics which is unusual for him, Ed bummed cigarette of fan during ledbetter as he was looking for his but couldnt find them, Floor was bouncing during GTF and DTE, ALL the new songs were incredilbe and the highlight of the show for me along with Porch. More tomorrow.

What a night.
    I think the person you thought to be Gisele Bundchen is actually Eddie's wife.
    They do a look a little similar. She was up in balcony in the corner for the show, holding their daughter in the very beginning.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • bat2144bat2144 Posts: 33
    Look, the set was great. I loved the show. But, for what some fans went through for tickets, including myself, it was just too short. I'm sorry. I hate to be negative about a show, especially a good one, which it was, but, under two hours? Come on guys, not cool. I don't know. I wasn't upset, but what did they have to do afterwards that they couldnt play another half hour?

It was honestly a great set. But not even two hours. I don't have much more to say but that. Awesome atmosphere and energy, which is what makes up for the shortness, but I mean, why? Why so short? I don't know. I'm just rambling. Glad I was there. And also glad the ticket was free.

It was the most effort I ever put forth for PJ tickets, and it was the shortest show I've seen out of 14.

I dont know what else to say. I think Ive repeated myself 4 times. I'm done.
    i was a fool b/c i thought the world
  • bat2144 wrote:
    Look, the set was great. I loved the show. But, for what some fans went through for tickets, including myself, it was just too short. I'm sorry. I hate to be negative about a show, especially a good one, which it was, but, under two hours? Come on guys, not cool. I don't know. I wasn't upset, but what did they have to do afterwards that they couldnt play another half hour?

It was honestly a great set. But not even two hours. I don't have much more to say but that. Awesome atmosphere and energy, which is what makes up for the shortness, but I mean, why? Why so short? I don't know. I'm just rambling. Glad I was there. And also glad the ticket was free.

It was the most effort I ever put forth for PJ tickets, and it was the shortest show I've seen out of 14.

how much did the tickets cost you?
    how much did the tickets cost you?

Money wise? Nothing. Timewise? 18 hours on line at Tower Records.
  • jcJamjcJam Posts: 105
    touringfan wrote:
    Before I head to bed:

alive, yellow ledbetter.

What a night.

Great review, thanks for your words!!!!
    But i think the same, maybe isn't Gisele Bundchen, it was Jill McCormick his wife.
    2005: Buenos Aires 2 • 2011: Lima • 2012: Atlanta • 2013: LA x2 • 2014: Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School x2 • 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival), Buenos Aires, Porto Alegre, Sau Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Rio, Bogota, Mexico • 2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philly x2 • NYC 2 • Fenway x2 • Wrigley x2 • 2018: Rio, Sau Paulo, Seattle x2, Missoula • 2021: Ohana x3 • 2022: San Diego, LA x2, Phoenix, Oakland x2, Fresno, Sacramento, Vegas, Vienna, PragueAmsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2 • 2023: Indi, Fort Worth x2, Austin x2
  • bat2144 wrote:

Poor guy!
    we paid a lot to get into the Astoria in London AND waited almost 10 hour in front of the Astoria to get tickets again for a lot of money, because we were fooled and i don't even think of complaing about a 1:55 show.
    ridiculous!
  • outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
    Man I'm freaking jelous.

So Come Back sounded good? It's my fav off the new album and I've been dying to know how it will be live.

Also, does it bug anyone that Mike is doing the behing the head solo thing all the time now? Not me really, but I was thinking the more they do a certain thing the less special it becomes. But, I don't think a behind the head solo would ever get old.
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    I think the person you thought to be Gisele Bundchen is actually Eddie's wife.
    They do a look a little similar. She was up in balcony in the corner for the show, holding their daughter in the very beginning.

Gisele is dating Kelly Slater (last I heard) so makes sense to me.....
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    bat2144 wrote:

WOW...i woudl have done anything to get into that show if it were at all plausable...PJ in a tiny venue...

it was a FREE WARMUP GIG...and i cant even believe somene has a complaint about that...FUCK

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    bat2144 wrote:

boo hoo. maybe next time the band will personally fly you into one of their next shows, completely free of charge, and sit you on the stage for the entire show. but then you'd probably complain because they only served you peanuts on the flight, and didn't even offer to show "sleepless in seattle" as the in-flight movie.

what a baby.
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 475
    Man I'm freaking jelous.

So Come Back sounded good? It's my fav off the new album and I've been dying to know how it will be live.

Also, does it bug anyone that Mike is doing the behing the head solo thing all the time now? Not me really, but I was thinking the more they do a certain thing the less special it becomes. But, I don't think a behind the head solo would ever get old.

Come Back was so so sweet live.....gonna be a show favorite

It's amazing how diehard we all are that everyone was singing the words to every one of the new songs.

What a freakin experience. Like I told people when were waiting on line, I wouldnt of sold that ticket for any amount of money

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    After seeing them at Letterman, and reading this it is obvious, they just love playing in NYC.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • sophiesophie Posts: 13
    It was Giselle Bundchen, her and Jill were next to each other in the balcony and chatting a lot it seemed. They do look a lot alike (at first I thought it was her sister).

A few more notes...

Before the show, I was at the backstage entrance with about 20 others, when the band entered for soundcheck. They were in a hurry. Mike and Matt signed a few autographs. Ed shook our hands very briefly. I had been really hoping to hear Come Back and made a small sign earlier that day. So I quickly asked Ed if there was any chance that they'd play it. He said "tonight, we may for the first time" as he was entering the building. Then I heard that they later soundchecked it (along with Garden and maybe Life Wasted). So that got my hopes up some more. I expected it to be one of the last songs, but in the end I didn't even need to raise my sign (not that I could really even get it out of my bag with how cramped it was), as they played it early in the set. I was sooooo happy. :)

Amazing show...wow. And very small venue. There was some funny Ed chat, but it was hard to hear most of it, especially since so many people were yelling out for songs (Leash, Sad, Inside Job, etc.). Before Come Back, I think he said something about the chili peppers and opening up for them as they are doing again now (I guess b/c they'll be playing there Monday) and how many of these songs were written like a year and a half ago (and I guess that it's exciting to be playing them finally). Also talked about how excited they were with the reception WWS has been getting on the radio and a song like that being played and thanked J Records for what they've been doing. There was a thank you chant at the end from the crowd and ed responded with "and then this one is called 'you're welcome'", just before Yellow Ledbetter was played. I heard Sad was on the setlist but not played, although I didn't see the list. Crowd was really into the new songs too.

Like Astoria, they didn't sell any posters but did sell the same type of tshirt (both men's and women's), just with Irving Plaza and the date on it. Surprisingly, they didn't completely sell out. After the show, we were soaking wet, so it was great to switch into those.

About 50 people waited outside all day hoping to get tickets, and at least some of them did make it in. Apparently Flea and Susan took in a few lucky fans with them and 2 people also handed out a few tickets.

The show started about 9:20 and ended about 11:15pm.

-Sophie
  • nycpjfannycpjfan Posts: 11
    touringfan wrote:
    Before I head to bed:

alive, yellow ledbetter.

What a night.

Very well said touringfan. You quickly captured the night well. Not the best Pearl Jam show i've ever seen but just a very, very cool experience. Being in that sweatbox with 1,000 other fans was just incredible. It's something i'll never forget.

One thing I want to add....I've seen many shows at Irving Plaza and I have to say I was impressed that the didn't overpack the place. I was right in the middle beside the mixing board and I had PLENTY of room to move around. It wasn't a sardine can like it usually is in there.

Cheers to Pearl Jam for a great evening!
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,761
    I think the shirts didn't sell out because people didn't realize it was personalized for that show only. I really liked it, because it was ambiguous, it just had the avacado in the front on a beautiful bright blue, so it didn't scream PEARL JAM. But I just figured it was this tours shirt and I could pick it up at one of the other shows. I was too busy dancing my ass of to stop and really check it out, then I saw a guy at the train wearing his and realized it said IP on the back. OH Well. What a fuckin show though - very sweet, my heart and head are still pounding.
  • BokiBoki Posts: 23
    touringfan wrote:
    one other note - apparently a hanful of tickets were giving away to fans that waited outside the venue after the first two songs were played.

Yes, a girl who worked with the band came out with an envelope full of tickets. Unfortunately she was completely surrounded and mobbed and I believe ran back inside without giving away all of them. Someone said she looked like she had enough for everyone waiting outside (maybe about 40-50 people). Damn us pushy New Yorkers for scaring her away :) I waited for a bit after that and then left. Does anyone know if she ever came back?
    jcPearlJam wrote:
    Great review, thanks for your words!!!!
    But i think the same, maybe isn't Gisele Bundchen, it was Jill McCormick his wife.

guys i have seen ALOT of shows. I know who Jill is.
  • kostekkostek Posts: 15
    bat2144 wrote:

im with you. i say setlist/time wise my maybe 5th best show, crowdwise/atmosphere wise 1 or 2 (katowice might be ahead of it)... so in the end, not such a hyped up nite as i was expecting
  • LostDog1079LostDog1079 Posts: 54
    My only complaint about the show was that they played too many new songs back-to-back. Other than that, no complaints; had a fan-f*cking-tastic time.
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    Jill and Gisele were next to each other chatting all night and Kelly Slater was right behind them...
    speaking as a child of the 90's
    kostek wrote:
    im with you. i say setlist/time wise my maybe 5th best show, crowdwise/atmosphere wise 1 or 2 (katowice might be ahead of it)... so in the end, not such a hyped up nite as i was expecting

Thank you. God forbid someone says something bad about a show. People are lining up to crucify me. I'm sorry that I had much higher expectations than to see the shortest PJ show of my life. Jeez. I still had a blast, I just wish it was longer. Is that so horrible? I'm truly sorry that other people have tougher times getting tickets to pearl jam concerts, but I dont have to cater my opinions just because of that fact.

My whole life I waited to see PJ at a small venue like that, (in new york no less!) and I got the shortest show of my life. I apologize for not thinking it was the greatest show ever. And I'm sorry for whoever wasn't able to be there.
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    the cool old bouncer left the side door open for most of the show so i heard the entire first set.

Got there around 5:30. About 100 people looking for a tick but NONE to be found.

Five minutes before the show a lady came out front and was handing out tickets for free, i wasnt rude or quick enuff.

Shook Fleas hand when he walked in solo so that was ok and even chatted with Ian from Anthrax who was ouyt side on the rail for about a half hour. Also so one of the ramone bros leaving early.

I couldnt get in but im going to every first leg show cept DC and Chicago so until Tuesday, peace n chicken grease.