Options

toilet seat ettiquette

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Got into a little tiff with the wife this morning. Apparantly my 4 year old has picked up on my habit of leaving the toilet seat up after he uses it going #1. I was raised by my dad so we never really practiced this tradition, only when guests were over. She said I need to break my bad habit and teach him to close the toilet seat everytime it is used. She said, "How hard is it to close the lid when you are finished?"
To which I responded, "How hard is it to put the seat down before you use it?"

Big mistake. She really took offense to that.

So besides manners and possibly cleanliness (which isn't an issue at my house), what are the other reasons to close the lid after every time you use it? Just want to know why it's such a big deal.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I put it down out of habit. Having two older sisters and a mother living with your when you're young'll do that. I can't say there's any real reason for doing it, except maybe the "put things back the way you found it" rule of etiquette. I've never seen leaving it up a big deal though.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I always close the whole lid, primarily so my pets don't drink or play with the water. I'd think that would be important with a 4-year-old around too. Plus, I have an unnatural fear of things accidentally falling into the toilet. :lol:

Regardless, seems like manners would be good reason enough, especially when you're raising/training a child.
  • Options
    Always close the lid during flushing to stop polluted water vapor that arises during flushing. Otherwise these particles will settle on the surrounding area which usually includes toothbrushes.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    You put the seat down because that's what she wants. :mrgreen:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Always close the lid during flushing to stop polluted water vapor that arises during flushing. Otherwise these particles will settle on the surrounding area which usually includes toothbrushes.

^^^ In addition to this

Have you ever stumbled into the bathroom, in the middle of the night, half asleep? You just kinda feel your way around the house without turning on any lights... You know where the toilet seat is...u sit there every day.... You steady yourself and bring your ass to the seat.....

and then.....

YOU FALL THE FUCK IN BECAUSE SOMEONE LEFT THE SEAT UP!!!

GOOD MORNING WET ASS :x

Just put the seat down....is it that hard?
    Or how about just get better at aiming and not even put the seat up in the first place. Seriously, what are you gaining...another inch or two? Seems like a pretty big target to me, even with the seat down.
    Please and thank you :D
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

^^^ In addition to this

Have you ever stumbled into the bathroom, in the middle of the night, half asleep? You just kinda feel your way around the house without turning on any lights... You know where the toilet seat is...u sit there every day.... You steady yourself and bring your ass to the seat.....

and then.....

YOU FALL THE FUCK IN BECAUSE SOMEONE LEFT THE SEAT UP!!!

GOOD MORNING WET ASS :x

Just put the seat down....is it that hard?
    Or how about just get better at aiming and not even put the seat up in the first place. Seriously, what are you gaining...another inch or two? Seems like a pretty big target to me, even with the seat down.
    Please and thank you :D

:lol: :lol Trust me, to keep the peace I am more than happy to put the seat down and teach my son the same. I just wanted to see what the big deal was. You bring up a good point. Although I would die of laughter if that ever happened to my wife. I would get kicked in the balls for sure but it would be funny. And the poo/pee particles on the toothbrush thing was fuckin gross. Reason #2 to do that.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    oh yes..put it down

i've fallen into that abyss on more than one occasion..and living with a house full of male children, its sometimes not all that pristine when you take the dip

see, we girls sometimes get too busy and wait until the last possible second..and then we rush into the bathroom, struggling not to wet ourselves before we get there...no time for looking at the toilet seat.. its just back up and sit...fast!

cuz girls, you know this .. you can hold it forever but once you actually see the toilet..its all over :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Two things I NEVER EVER forget to do is to put the seat down (+ lid) and always always I remove the lint from the dryer everytime.

Someone mentioned something about vapors is a good reason to put it down. Just imagine brushing those vapors into your teeth. :oops:

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    it's just like anything else you use. put it away or close it when you are finished. you wouldn't leave your car door open when you park it?
  • Options
    I leave the seat up...
    Are you fucking kidding me???

If there is a chance that by leaving the seat up.....
    That Kathy is going to get up at 3am, go use the toilet, and then FALL IN THE TOILET??????

Then I am leaving the seat up!!!!!

hehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Oh did somebody say something about feeling your way in the dark. well one night I stumbled into the bathroom used it then decided in the dark to rinse with some mouthwash. Well I grabbed a bottle thinking it was listerine when it was lime away. needless to say i woke everybody up with a screech and spat it all over the bathroom then through up. :oops:

Moral of the story turn on the lights and put the lid down. I've never fallen in though. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    up at all times..unless iam dropping a deuce
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

Do you live by yourself or with a significant other?

Peace

• Options
    I leave the seat up...
    Are you fucking kidding me???

If there is a chance that by leaving the seat up.....
    That Kathy is going to get up at 3am, go use the toilet, and then FALL IN THE TOILET??????

Then I am leaving the seat up!!!!!

hehehehehehe

haha! if she was blind, you would move the furniture around, wouldn't you? bastard. :lol:
  • Options
    To me to doesnt matter, I grab a piece of toliet paper and put it down. But think of it this way, womens private areas are much more susceptible to bacteria and such.. than a man. Have to touch the seat and then wipe themselves kinda makes it .... well finish the rest of that thought. If anything do it for sanitary reasons.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    g under p wrote:

Do you live by yourself or with a significant other?

Peace

engaged....if she does # 1 ts left down

if i do # 1 its left up ...but i never put it down after # 1
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I used to say the same thing until someone sent me an article referencing the nasty particles living in the toilet that can move around the bathroom easier when a flush happens with the toilet seat open. (Even if I just took a leak, they are still in there.) (As GMM posted.)
    So disturbed by this that I do now slam the lid prior to flushing AND I got a case for my toothbrush AND the toothbrush goes in a drawer.

Agree 1000% that if my wife fell into the toilet I would nearly die laughing; and then die by 'repeated kicks to the balls.'
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Always down and or closed.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i have incredible aim. i can get away with leaving it down.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    The seat being up/down doesn't bother me. It's when there are pee stains on the rim/floor because someone "missed", that drives me batty :D
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i leave it up, always.

and i grew up with 4 older sisters and my mom.. it was never an issue with them

honestly, i didn't even know people had a problem with it until i got older
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Suziemay wrote:
    The seat being up/down doesn't bother me. It's when there are pee stains on the rim/floor because someone "missed", that drives me batty :D

Be thankful you dont need to walk into the men's room in a crowded bar, especially one with a younger crowd. Depending on the place it can range from just 'piss everywhere' to 'a sea of pee' on the floor.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:

Be thankful you dont need to walk into the men's room in a crowded bar, especially one with a younger crowd. Depending on the place it can range from just 'piss everywhere' to 'a sea of pee' on the floor.
    Believe it or now, one of my friends likes to frequent a dive bar that's more of a scene for college undergrads and they have unisex toilets, so I still do occasionally have to tolerate the sea of pee on the floor scenario :cry: Only because she's a good friend, I don't do this for just anyone :D
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

I have three sons, so pee on the rim, floor, wall (ON THE WALL!?!?) has all happened. I remember when they were little, two of them going at the same time, trying not to "cross the beams" . :lol:
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    honestly, i didn't even know people had a problem with it until i got older

same with me, except I leave the refrigerator door open
  • Options
    I always put the seat and lid down for the reason others have mentioned about the germs that shoot up when you flush. I don't have an issue with germs getting on my hands when I thouch the seat and lid to put them down because I wash my hands after I flush.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    His/Hers?

Toilet_Seat_Lid.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

I have three sons, so pee on the rim, floor, wall (ON THE WALL!?!?) has all happened. I remember when they were little, two of them going at the same time, trying not to "cross the beams" . :lol:

:lol: That's funny i have two boys who have done the same.,

Peace

• Options
    My aim is usually accurate except for two circumstances.
    Morning wood and post void dribble.
    The high pressure of the urinary stream during the morning wood may cause splashing.
    The residual urine associated with post void dribble may be controlled better without the shake.
    Instead I will opt for a carefully directed squeeze into the porcelain bowl.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Here is my take on it:

Guys should do their best to remember to put the seat down.

Gals should do theri best to check before sitting down.

It's not that hard, and it takes an effort from both sides.

Do you have habit that would annoy most women, and you could probably try and break it? Yes.

Did your wife need to create such a big deal about you pointing out that she should help out by remembering to check to see if the seat is up? No.

Again, if both parts make an effort... there should be no problem. Because honestly, how hard is to put a seat down if the male in the house forgot to do so?

My significant other constantly leaves the heat on the "on" setting, even though I have told her to put it on "auto." I give her shit when she forgets, but I have no problem adjusting it myself. It takes 2 seconds out of my life.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2