Relative of mine stuck in past

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
On Facebook (and before that, in email) my relative constantly speaks of deceased relatives (but her mom only died within the past 5 years.) She brags about our family's greatness so much, you'd think we were the Kennedy's :) Sadly, my uncle told me she is crazy.

She keeps calling me her cousin. The only relative in common we have is my Great Grandmother's mom! I drew a family tree and I asked my coworker once if she is my cousin and he said no. She is from "a different generation." I guess she's closer to the top dogs in our family than I am. I actually started hiding my FB posts from her...

thanks for listening.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    she talks of relatives who died 20-40 yrs ago :(

I miss them too.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    hence the reason I am not on Facebook...it gives people too much access into your life...and, to me, it gets weird if too many different facets of your life are brought together.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    hence the reason I am not on Facebook...it gives people too much access into your life...and, to me, it gets weird if too many different facets of your life are brought together.

two worlds collide, rival nations
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

ebony and ivory
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I think Facebook is the root of all evil. I see what the wife goes through. unnessecary stress. so stupid Updates this Updates that.

Any really, why the "F" does anybody care what joeblow from your high school class is doing now.

blah
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

ebony and ivory
    black and white cookie.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    yes facebook drama is worse than drama here...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Nami wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I think Facebook is the root of all evil. I see what the wife goes through. unnessecary stress. so stupid Updates this Updates that.

Any really, why the "F" does anybody care what joeblow from your high school class is doing now.

blah

I refer to facebook as facetard. **I know this is insensitive and all of that, but it is a joke**
    Will never in a million years sign up for that shit. I cannot understand why people like it so much -- trying to be everything to everyone must be awfully tiring.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    iluvcats wrote:
    She keeps calling me her cousin. The only relative in common we have is my Great Grandmother's mom! I drew a family tree and I asked my coworker once if she is my cousin and he said no. She is from "a different generation."
    Is your great-great grandmother a blood relative to both of you? If so, then you are cousins.

Just because you're from different generations doesn't negate that. If you're familiar with the concept of "X-times removed" this makes sense.

For example, my parents' first cousins are my first cousins once removed. They're my kids' first cousins twice removed.

I don't have enough details to be sure how it breaks down exactly but you and this relative could be something like third cousins, once removed.
    Whats the fun of calling someone and asking "what's new?" if you've already read about it on Facebook?
    JTH wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    She keeps calling me her cousin. The only relative in common we have is my Great Grandmother's mom! I drew a family tree and I asked my coworker once if she is my cousin and he said no. She is from "a different generation."
    Is your great-great grandmother a blood relative to both of you? If so, then you are cousins.

Just because you're from different generations doesn't negate that. If you're familiar with the concept of "X-times removed" this makes sense.

For example, my parents' first cousins are my first cousins once removed. They're my kids' first cousins twice removed.

I don't have enough details to be sure how it breaks down exactly but you and this relative could be something like third cousins, once removed.

Yes, she is a blood relative to both of us. However, Great Great Grandma to me is not her great great grandma.
    It goes like this:
    great great grandma's name is mary jones (as an example.)
    then she had 5 children. one of those children (betsy) is my great grandmother; betsy's brother -- one of the five children, is "my cousin's" grandfather (see how we are a different generation.) I am definitely related, I just don't feel we are cousins. My cousin is my uncle's son. I think you explained it like my coworker did, he may have said she is my second cousin, once removed. On Facebook, she is constantly comparing the youngsters to old people that died a century ago and it's creeping me out. She was barely old enough to remember them.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Whats the fun of calling someone and asking "what's new?" if you've already read about it on Facebook?

one of my friends i used to work with -- she will not call me back if i call her and leave her a message; but she will write a novel to me on facebook. i truly believe it has replaced adult human contact for her.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    PHEW!

For a moment there, I thought a relative from your past was stuck in a mine!

....and like I said, ..PHEW!
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    That's why I only have 16 friends on Facebook (my closest friends and family members). I used to have almost 150. I decided that I don't need Facebook to keep in touch with people. If they can't pick up the phone or send me a text message, they don't deserve to be my friends.

Also, people who I went to school with, who didn't even talk to me, who didn't do anything to stop the bullying... why the fuck would I add them on Facebook and pretend that they're my friends now? What in the hell is going through their minds when they send friend requests? :evil:
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
    :lol::lol: The topic is of a woman stuck in the past not stuck in Facebook :lol: wich by the way i'm not on .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    That's why I only have 16 friends on Facebook (my closest friends and family members). I used to have almost 150. I decided that I don't need Facebook to keep in touch with people. If they can't pick up the phone or send me a text message, they don't deserve to be my friends.

Also, people who I went to school with, who didn't even talk to me, who didn't do anything to stop the bullying... why the fuck would I add them on Facebook and pretend that they're my friends now? What in the hell is going through their minds when they send friend requests? :evil:

you were bullied? I'm sorry :(

to jose, well....my relative stuck in the past is GLUED to FB. I believe she has radar when one of us updates our status...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
    iluvcats wrote:
    SxDx1982 wrote:

you were bullied? I'm sorry :(

to jose, well....my relative stuck in the past is GLUED to FB. I believe she has radar when one of us updates our status...

Oh ok that sucks is she all alone that has to be the worst thing to be alone at and advanced age ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    ^Thanks.
    And sorry, I get sidetracked sometimes. :roll:

I agree, she is probably lonely, but that doesn't mean she has to stalk people on facebook 24/7. My best advice is to just ignore her, and block as many updates from her as you can without causing drama, if you know what I mean.
    A friend of my best friend's fiancé is a little on the crazy side too, and he kept sending me facebook requests for a really long time (before it was possible to block them). But even that doesn't always help... after a few months of ignoring his requests, he somehow got my phone number and started texting me. :eh: :| :roll:
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    OP - Your coworker is correct. The relative in question is your second cousin, once removed. It's explained at the link below.

http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

I'm not Facebook friends with any of my relatives. My best friend isn't on there but I am Facebook friends with his wife. I rarely post updates.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    iluvcats wrote:
    On Facebook (and before that, in email) my relative constantly speaks of deceased relatives (but her mom only died within the past 5 years.) She brags about our family's greatness so much, you'd think we were the Kennedy's :) Sadly, my uncle told me she is crazy.

She keeps calling me her cousin. The only relative in common we have is my Great Grandmother's mom! I drew a family tree and I asked my coworker once if she is my cousin and he said no. She is from "a different generation." I guess she's closer to the top dogs in our family than I am. I actually started hiding my FB posts from her...

thanks for listening.
    I understand stuck in the past as far as tracing ancestry
    and I love it!

It has more than enriched my life. It's hard to explain the spiritualism involved
    in learning about those who came before me of the same flesh and blood.

My personal circumstances lead to not knowing anyone on my fathers side
    so this brought even more meaning and helped me to feel connected to those I never
    had the privilege to know.

I get her enthusiasm and craziness ;) understand bragging rights too

perhaps if you can ... embrace this and her ...
    someday you may understand if you start tracing your family tree...
    it is oh so rewarding! :D
    Oh ok that sucks is she all alone that has to be the worst thing to be alone at and advanced age ...

jose, she isn't alone, she has 5 grown children (she could be alone although...)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

thanks for listening.
    and I love it!

It has more than enriched my life. It's hard to explain the spiritualism involved

so this brought even more meaning and helped me to feel connected to those I never

thanks for reply :) but that's not it....
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

thanks for listening.
    and I love it!

thanks for reply :) but that's not it....
    Oh I think I get...
    its the top dogs ... yes?

well we all know they can be full of shit or at least themselves ;)
    yes, since she is of a different generation, she is closer to the top dogs :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I see... I traced my tree on my Dads side back to the 1600's
    my mothers is much harder to trace ...

but it's all family ... I don't get top dogs really
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

we have two relatives tracing our family tree via the Internet (which I have found to be inaccurate when I tried to do it that way.) correct it is all family and I don't understand the constant name dropping of my distant cousin.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    iluvcats wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

one of my friends i used to work with -- she will not call me back if i call her and leave her a message; but she will write a novel to me on facebook. i truly believe it has replaced adult human contact for her.

i'm on facebook..and i'm STILL always out of the loop
    but that's the case in real life too...soooooooo :roll: :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    iluvcats wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

we have two relatives tracing our family tree via the Internet (which I have found to be inaccurate when I tried to do it that way.) correct it is all family and I don't understand the constant name dropping of my distant cousin.
    my husbands mother did an in depth tracing of their trees and found them related to
    Abe Lincoln ... there's a name to toss around :lol:
    but you know many many many people are related to him, so the meaning
    of such kind of unimportant.

I found out some unhappy things but it gave me new respect
    for some of my relatives for what they endured.

And yes one can try to document events but sometimes it remains a guess ...
    a stretch, accuracy if not truth itself not found

it is a great hobby though but at this point, for me, requires some travel which is out of reach.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    iluvcats - whilst quite a number of 'x removed', this person is a cousin! Also a very lonely person, it would seem, if her life revolves around FB and the past. Whilst remembering the deceased and embracing one's roots, origins and distant family, to dwell in it so much seems a bit strange.

Maybe your relative who said she was crazy might exaggerate but it's certainly not a healthy outlook on life. Toward the end of her life, my mother was always on about those that had died (and it would seem their deaths the cause of all of her 'woes' - a bit of a 'escape' if you ask me!).

Just try not to let it get to you - let it glide over your head!

We've managed to trace our family back to 1010 (on my Dad's side). Internet helped a bit but not all that much - as you said, a lot of inaccuracies there. It took a cousin and three years of his life, lots of traveling, etc. to piece everything together (and write a book about it too!). A labour of love it was!