TV Upgrade

2»

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:
    I'm being told the LG's ULED technology is better than what Samsung uses? This is news to me as I've always been under the assumption Samsung is the best and my last three tvs have been Samsungs. My buddy from work, who's a real techy kind of guy, recommended that LG one and compared the picture of ULED's to the old school plasma's.

Anyone else have an LG OLED?
    I have a 65" LG OLED.  Had it for 2-3 years now...I think...
    Best TV I've owned.  Awesome picture and same quality since it came out of the box.  Highly recommended.
    The CX? That's the one I got but exchanged for the Sony 950....which I am probably going to exchange for the Samsung Q80. 

Been a wild couple of weeks over here!
    I'm curious to know what you think about the Q80. Ours is great. Very smooth and natural picture and the details are incredible. Color accuracy is also very good right out of the box. 

The automatic picture settings can cause problems though. If you turn off the motion control and the adaptive brightness mode, it makes for much more stable movement. 

"Movie Mode" with Brightness and Contrast cranked up is where it's at for lifelike images. Max out the Blur and Judder reduction and your golden......at least that's where I settled with mine. FWIW, my living room is pretty dark and I dialed the settings to reflect that. Also, most of what I watch is dramatic cinema. YMMV.
    I'll let you know. It's being delivered tomorrow. lol
    I think my old Samsung is always on movie mode, now that you mentioned it. I was watching golf on it today in the store and it just so happened to be side by side with both the LG OLED and the Sony 950 and, yeah, the Samsung may not have had the most vivid colors but it did look great and more realistic, like you said. Reminded me of my old one!
    That's awesome and exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to get as close as I could to the picture and performance of my old Samsung but in a bigger size. (My wife is laughing at me and the ridiculousness of this venture.)

The Q80T did not disappoint me even though it took a bit of experimentation to dial it in.

Happy new TV day!
    Samsung released a firmware update for many of their models, Q80T included, that enable some more HDMI 2.1 features, fyi.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    Rygar said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:
    I'm being told the LG's ULED technology is better than what Samsung uses? This is news to me as I've always been under the assumption Samsung is the best and my last three tvs have been Samsungs. My buddy from work, who's a real techy kind of guy, recommended that LG one and compared the picture of ULED's to the old school plasma's.

Best TV I've owned.  Awesome picture and same quality since it came out of the box.  Highly recommended.
    The CX? That's the one I got but exchanged for the Sony 950....which I am probably going to exchange for the Samsung Q80. 

I'm curious to know what you think about the Q80. Ours is great. Very smooth and natural picture and the details are incredible. Color accuracy is also very good right out of the box. 

The automatic picture settings can cause problems though. If you turn off the motion control and the adaptive brightness mode, it makes for much more stable movement. 

"Movie Mode" with Brightness and Contrast cranked up is where it's at for lifelike images. Max out the Blur and Judder reduction and your golden......at least that's where I settled with mine. FWIW, my living room is pretty dark and I dialed the settings to reflect that. Also, most of what I watch is dramatic cinema. YMMV.
    I think my old Samsung is always on movie mode, now that you mentioned it. I was watching golf on it today in the store and it just so happened to be side by side with both the LG OLED and the Sony 950 and, yeah, the Samsung may not have had the most vivid colors but it did look great and more realistic, like you said. Reminded me of my old one!
    That's awesome and exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to get as close as I could to the picture and performance of my old Samsung but in a bigger size. (My wife is laughing at me and the ridiculousness of this venture.)

The Q80T did not disappoint me even though it took a bit of experimentation to dial it in.

Happy new TV day!
    Samsung released a firmware update for many of their models, Q80T included, that enable some more HDMI 2.1 features, fyi.
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads up!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:

Did your new TV show up yet?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:

Did your new TV show up yet?
    Yup. Got it on Friday. I really like it. Still playing around with the settings. Movie is the best, as you mentioned. That is what I have my old one set to as well. 

So, regarding Judder and blur: you have both of those set to a 10 and the motion thing turned off, right? When I do that, it looks amazing for sports and movies but I do think I notice a bit of the soap opera effect when watching tv shows. It is also quite possible, I am losing my mind though. Or maybe I am just not used to such high quality video. 

You said, movies, brightness/contrast all the way up, and judder/blur all the way to 10, right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Yes, that's how mine is set. I turned off Adaptive Brightness too.

I don't have cable or any other television service so I can't say how that would look. I really only watch Blu-rays and sometimes I watch things on Netflix and Prime Video. No SOE for me from those sources. 

It sounds like playing around with the Motion Control settings on yours might be worthwhile if you're seeing soap opera effect. 

How it the ambient lighting in the room?
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    dudeman said:
    Yes, that's how mine is set. I turned off Adaptive Brightness too.

I don't have cable or any other television service so I can't say how that would look. I really only watch Blu-rays and sometimes I watch things on Netflix and Prime Video. No SOE for me from those sources. 

It sounds like playing around with the Motion Control settings on yours might be worthwhile if you're seeing soap opera effect. 

How it the ambient lighting in the room?
    It's pretty dark. No issues there.

Netflix was where I was noticing it last night. Watching Cobra Kai (season 1 seems way better than 2 thus far, imo).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting. I haven't seen that show but I'll check it out and let you know if I have any issues with SOE.

Also, congrats on the new TV. I hope this one has what it takes for you.