Options

TV Upgrade

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I'm looking to do a TV upgrade. Have had a 50" 1080p for 5 years now...while it still works, it def doesn't look as good as it used to and hardly compares to current models. Any good sites for ratings on new TVs? I'm looking not to get bigger, just upgrade. Any suggestions? 50-55" range...
Also, I'd like to get some $ for my old one...Craigslist is flooded with TVs...not sure what to do with this thing if I can't sell it... :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    One word, Samsung. Also, go the LED route if you can squeeze it into your budget.
    Make sure you go at least 120hz or 240hz refresh rate.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Sony XBR with a refresh rate of 240hz. 8-)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i've got a 32in crt i can send you....works perfect :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    We bought a Sony Bravia 55" LED 3D Internet TV, model KDL55HX820 on Friday night.
    Was meant to be delivered yesterday but we now have to wait until tomorrow.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    One word, Samsung. Also, go the LED route if you can squeeze it into your budget.
    Make sure you go at least 120hz or 240hz refresh rate.

bang.

done.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Okay 8 years later. 

What is the best tv on the market right now, folks?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Okay 8 years later. 

What is the best tv on the market right now, folks?

65" Class Q900TS QLED 8K UHD HDR Smart TV (2020)
    https://k7wz8.app.goo.gl/XNSHyx9TmxWvSFdi7

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    this one. do it.

85" Class Q950TS QLED 8K UHD HDR Smart TV (2020)
    https://k7wz8.app.goo.gl/UKe2umQtbxgDUbzP9

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Get 4 of these suckers for that price and blanket your living room with awesome
    (You could run Dark Knight on loop on one)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    If you have Roku, My friend recommend a Rokutv. He has a TCL (which i might get next. The one i have now is a Samsung 32" tv)
    Amazoncom TCL 50S425 50 inch 4K Smart LED ROKU TV 2019 Electronics

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited November 2020
    I absolutely love my three samsung smart flat screen tv's.  I'm almost positive I have the one Brett linked.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Get 4 of these suckers for that price and blanket your living room with awesome
    (You could run Dark Knight on loop on one)

Why are they so inexpensive?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm being told the LG's ULED technology is better than what Samsung uses? This is news to me as I've always been under the assumption Samsung is the best and my last three tvs have been Samsungs. My buddy from work, who's a real techy kind of guy, recommended that LG one and compared the picture of ULED's to the old school plasma's.

Anyone else have an LG OLED?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    If you have Roku, My friend recommend a Rokutv. He has a TCL (which i might get next. The one i have now is a Samsung 32" tv)
    Amazoncom TCL 50S425 50 inch 4K Smart LED ROKU TV 2019 Electronics

Yeah I have a roku for my bedroom tv...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Because they have fancy schmancy more advanced models now.
    These are perfectly good.  Go to a Best Buy and check em out.  I don't see the reason to spend 2k although I am not a tv nerd.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    We just replaced our 7 year old Samsung with a new Samsung. Great deals on TVs for BF/CM.

The thing that stood out for me with the Samsung 7 years ago was how natural and lifelike people looked on them. The LG, Sony and Vizio all made humans oversaturated and fake. More like CGI people than actual human beings. (Games and anime might look better on those though. I don't know.)

That still appears to be the case now. Lots of impressive displays at the store but the Samsungs still look more realistic to me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The LG CX series is about the best you can get right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntosec0KRXw
  • Options
    Rygar said:
    Haha.....welp, I actually exchanged my LG CX for the Sony x950H yesterday. lol

I agree with Mr. Dudeman up there. The OLED picture is about as clear as you can possibly get. I mean I was blown away by it. But, I think, because it is so crystal clear and no blur, the picture constantly jutters and stutters as each frame goes by. It was giving my wife and I headaches. I think the problem is made worse by streaming services such as youtube tv, which we recently switched to as well. The LED's  are not quite as bad with that.

And my old tv was a Samsung. So I was debating between that and Sony and the guy at Best Buy convinced me Sony is the better brand, currently at least. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Rygar said:

I agree with Mr. Dudeman up there. The OLED picture is about as clear as you can possibly get. I mean I was blown away by it. But, I think, because it is so crystal clear and no blur, the picture constantly jutters and stutters as each frame goes by. It was giving my wife and I headaches. I think the problem is made worse by streaming services such as youtube tv, which we recently switched to as well. The LED's  are not quite as bad with that.

And my old tv was a Samsung. So I was debating between that and Sony and the guy at Best Buy convinced me Sony is the better brand, currently at least. 

That sounds awful and I get a sympathy headache just picturing it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    Rygar said:

I think what you guys are referring to is 'the soap opera effect'  and can be turned off.  Had the same problem with our last tv purchase a few years ago.  Was annoying as hell. See article below about it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Rygar said:

I think what you guys are referring to is 'the soap opera effect'  and can be turned off.  Had the same problem with our last tv purchase a few years ago.  Was annoying as hell. See article below about it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/
    No its not that. I hate the soap opera effect too. Believe it or not, with these newer tvs, a way to minimize the juddering is to turn the soap opera effect on.

Judder has something to do with how fast these tvs spit out frames per second or something. It makes it look like what you're watching is juddering or bouncing up and down as they move. The soap opera effect actually smooths it out more, but......then you have the soap opera effect.

I miss the days when tvs were not confusing as fuck. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    pjhawks said:
    Rygar said:

No its not that. I hate the soap opera effect too. Believe it or not, with these newer tvs, a way to minimize the juddering is to turn the soap opera effect on.

Judder has something to do with how fast these tvs spit out frames per second or something. It makes it look like what you're watching is juddering or bouncing up and down as they move. The soap opera effect actually smooths it out more, but......then you have the soap opera effect.

I miss the days when tvs were not confusing as fuck. 
    ah good to know. thanks for the info.  should be upgrading soon so good to know this information as well 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    We just replaced our 7 year old Samsung with a new Samsung. Great deals on TVs for BF/CM.

The thing that stood out for me with the Samsung 7 years ago was how natural and lifelike people looked on them. The LG, Sony and Vizio all made humans oversaturated and fake. More like CGI people than actual human beings. (Games and anime might look better on those though. I don't know.)

That still appears to be the case now. Lots of impressive displays at the store but the Samsungs still look more realistic to me.
    Hey what kind of Samsung did you get?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I'm being told the LG's ULED technology is better than what Samsung uses? This is news to me as I've always been under the assumption Samsung is the best and my last three tvs have been Samsungs. My buddy from work, who's a real techy kind of guy, recommended that LG one and compared the picture of ULED's to the old school plasma's.

I have a 65" LG OLED.  Had it for 2-3 years now...I think...
    Best TV I've owned.  Awesome picture and same quality since it came out of the box.  Highly recommended.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Best TV I've owned.  Awesome picture and same quality since it came out of the box.  Highly recommended.
    The CX? That's the one I got but exchanged for the Sony 950....which I am probably going to exchange for the Samsung Q80. 

Been a wild couple of weeks over here!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mca47 said:

The CX? That's the one I got but exchanged for the Sony 950....which I am probably going to exchange for the Samsung Q80. 

I'm curious to know what you think about the Q80. Ours is great. Very smooth and natural picture and the details are incredible. Color accuracy is also very good right out of the box. 

The automatic picture settings can cause problems though. If you turn off the motion control and the adaptive brightness mode, it makes for much more stable movement. 

"Movie Mode" with Brightness and Contrast cranked up is where it's at for lifelike images. Max out the Blur and Judder reduction and your golden......at least that's where I settled with mine. FWIW, my living room is pretty dark and I dialed the settings to reflect that. Also, most of what I watch is dramatic cinema. YMMV.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:

I'm curious to know what you think about the Q80. Ours is great. Very smooth and natural picture and the details are incredible. Color accuracy is also very good right out of the box. 

The automatic picture settings can cause problems though. If you turn off the motion control and the adaptive brightness mode, it makes for much more stable movement. 

"Movie Mode" with Brightness and Contrast cranked up is where it's at for lifelike images. Max out the Blur and Judder reduction and your golden......at least that's where I settled with mine. FWIW, my living room is pretty dark and I dialed the settings to reflect that. Also, most of what I watch is dramatic cinema. YMMV.
    I'll let you know. It's being delivered tomorrow. lol
    I think my old Samsung is always on movie mode, now that you mentioned it. I was watching golf on it today in the store and it just so happened to be side by side with both the LG OLED and the Sony 950 and, yeah, the Samsung may not have had the most vivid colors but it did look great and more realistic, like you said. Reminded me of my old one!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mca47 said:

I'll let you know. It's being delivered tomorrow. lol
    I think my old Samsung is always on movie mode, now that you mentioned it. I was watching golf on it today in the store and it just so happened to be side by side with both the LG OLED and the Sony 950 and, yeah, the Samsung may not have had the most vivid colors but it did look great and more realistic, like you said. Reminded me of my old one!
    That's awesome and exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to get as close as I could to the picture and performance of my old Samsung but in a bigger size. (My wife is laughing at me and the ridiculousness of this venture.)

The Q80T did not disappoint me even though it took a bit of experimentation to dial it in.

Happy new TV day!
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Would have been the C8 or C9, which are brighter than the CX.