speechless really
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • She sure is dominating the iTunes charts, with 20+ songs in the top 200. I WIll Always Love You will be #1 by this afternoon (number 3 right now).
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    She sure is dominating the iTunes charts, with 20+ songs in the top 200. I WIll Always Love You will be #1 by this afternoon (number 3 right now).
    i believe this to be true.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • all death sucks, but I'll never understand why a junkie celebrity's death is deemed more of a tragedy than a "normal" person's.

to me that's a sad state of our society.

I'm not really sure where you are coming from........I think an addict's death is perhaps more tragic because it is seen as being more preventable than people who say die of disease, or accidents etc.

If you're referring to the press coverage of her death (the sad state of society?), it's kind of to be expected, this is one of the biggest selling artists of all time, she sold something like 200 million records, so naturally people care. Her fall from grace is a truly sad story. She was unquestionably one of the greatest vocalists the world has ever heard, and she lost everything to addiction. I don't think it's any sadder that she has passed away than it is when any 'normal' person does - but it's certainly more newsworthy.

"my pain.....is self-chosen". she blamed her drug use on her husband. not everyone who has a shit marriage turns to drugs. I don't think it's tragic at all. it's fucking stupid. if she had died in plane crash or something, that's tragic. but to basically kill yourself slowly by your own hand is not tragic.

if I died choking on my own vomit from drinking too much, I wouldn't expect anyone to call my death tragic, I'd expect them to say "fucking idiot". and believe me, it's almost happened.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I still find this to be very sad and yes tragic.... :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    all death sucks, but I'll never understand why a junkie celebrity's death is deemed more of a tragedy than a "normal" person's.

to me that's a sad state of our society.
    Whos saying her death is more tragic than everybody else's?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Can't judge addicts, it's a disease most of us will never have to imagine or deal with.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mikalina wrote:
    I still find this to be very sad and yes tragic.... :(
    it is sad and tragic.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • This is starting to sound more like a suicide now.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • "my pain.....is self-chosen". she blamed her drug use on her husband. not everyone who has a shit marriage turns to drugs. I don't think it's tragic at all. it's fucking stupid. if she had died in plane crash or something, that's tragic. but to basically kill yourself slowly by your own hand is not tragic.

if I died choking on my own vomit from drinking too much, I wouldn't expect anyone to call my death tragic, I'd expect them to say "fucking idiot". and believe me, it's almost happened.

She didn't blame her drug use on her husband, she blamed it on not being able to cope with the level of fame she was propelled into - he just happened to introduce her to the harder stuff.

You know that saying about not judging a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes.......yes the choice to take drugs defies logic, but none of us can pretend to know the reasons why she wasn't able to sort herself out. Fine if you want to take the hard line and call her fucking stupid, but making sweeping statements like "not everyone who has a shit marriage turns to drugs" doesn't really go any way towards explaining or understanding the situation - everyone's different, and everyone deals with things differently.
    Not everyone with a shitty marriage has to live their life under the constant scrutiny of the press. Given how many famous people have gone down the same path, it's quite clear that being famous, talented and having loads of money, doesn't necessarily bring happiness.
  • "my pain.....is self-chosen". she blamed her drug use on her husband. not everyone who has a shit marriage turns to drugs. I don't think it's tragic at all. it's fucking stupid. if she had died in plane crash or something, that's tragic. but to basically kill yourself slowly by your own hand is not tragic.

She didn't blame her drug use on her husband, she blamed it on not being able to cope with the level of fame she was propelled into - he just happened to introduce her to the harder stuff.

You know that saying about not judging a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes.......yes the choice to take drugs defies logic, but none of us can pretend to know the reasons why she wasn't able to sort herself out. Fine if you want to take the hard line and call her fucking stupid, but making sweeping statements like "not everyone who has a shit marriage turns to drugs" doesn't really go any way towards explaining or understanding the situation - everyone's different, and everyone deals with things differently.
    Not everyone with a shitty marriage has to live their life under the constant scrutiny of the press. Given how many famous people have gone down the same path, it's quite clear that being famous, talented and having loads of money, doesn't necessarily bring happiness.

read between the lines. I'm not judging her, I'm judging those that put her death above others simply because she was famous. that is all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • read between the lines. I'm not judging her, I'm judging those that put her death above others simply because she was famous. that is all.

I'm not sure what makes you think people are though? Sure it's all over the press because she was famous, but that is to be expected.
  • kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    Two friends buried, not surprised totally, but heartbreaking nonetheless.
    Sad stuff, all the way around. I feel for those who loved. Hope she is at peace.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    RIP....I remember my sister blasting the Bodyguard soundtrack every morning gettin ready for school. I keep seeing people say this isn't a surprise, and I see where they're coming from but I think it's kinda crazy to not be totally shocked by this.

I see there are alotta people blaming Bobby Brown. I find that a little ridiculous. She was a grown woman that made her own decisions. She had everything she ever dreamed of before the drugs and used "the pressures of fame" as a cop out. She was looking to have a good time and it caught up with her.

This is starting to sound more like a suicide now.

I thought this when I heard the person in the room above heard 2 loud noises. Not a detective, but it sounds like 2 attempts to knock down the bathroom door more than a person falling then a person breaking the door. Seems kinda strange how slowly info is trickling out, too. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    She had everything she ever dreamed of before the drugs and used "the pressures of fame" as a cop out. She was looking to have a good time and it caught up with her.

Did she have privacy? Perhaps that was what she dreamed of and because she couldn't just live a normal life she used drugs to escape. I don't think there is any sense in trying to second guess a person's feelings or the reasons behind their actions.
    DewieCox wrote:
    She had everything she ever dreamed of before the drugs and used "the pressures of fame" as a cop out. She was looking to have a good time and it caught up with her.

Did she have privacy? Perhaps that was what she dreamed of and because she couldn't just live a normal life she used drugs to escape. I don't think there is any sense in trying to second guess a person's feelings or the reasons behind their actions.

She seems to have had plenty of privacy the last 10 or 15 years.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

She seems to have had plenty of privacy the last 10 or 15 years.

Hardly.....
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    beautiful tribute by butch walker. one of my Facebook friends is a fan of him and she shared this on facebook

I will always love you by dolly barton covered by butch walker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32Lzarr ... _embedded#!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Hardly.....

Oh, you mean that reality show of her ex's that she wasn't originally supposed to be a part of or the Diane Sawyer interview she signed up for. Through the good and bad she never seemed to have trouble being a public figure. If you wanna say the pressures of living up to the legend she created, fine but it doesn't really look like she had an issue with privacy at any point.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Hardly.....

Oh, you mean that reality show of her ex's that she wasn't originally supposed to be a part of or the Diane Sawyer interview she signed up for. Through the good and bad she never seemed to have trouble being a public figure. If you wanna say the pressures of living up to the legend she created, fine but it doesn't really look like she had an issue with privacy at any point.

It's all speculation - and you are kind of proving my point that there was more to her addiction than her just wanting to have a good time and it catching up with her.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I agree with Rani, I was never a big fan, but I respect that she was gifted and given a beautiful voice.

Glad to see that the people here on the AET (for the most part) have a lot more class than others in certain other (cough) forums.

My heart goes out to her family, friends and especially her daughter.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,532
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I agree with Rani, I was never a big fan, but I respect that she was gifted and given a beautiful voice.

Glad to see that the people here on the AET (for the most part) have a lot more class than others in certain other (cough) forums.

i heard your promo on pearljam radio last night :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    RKCNDY wrote:

well said.

the thread on the Porch is disgusting & disturbing, to say the least.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • In America, 100 people a day die of an overdose.......
    36,000 a year

Now I am not trying to be a heartless piece of shit here...But

Nobody here knew Whitney....
    Nobody here hung out with Whitney.....
    Nobody here called Whitney a friend....

Right???

So in a week or so, Whitney will be just like the other 35,999 people who will die this year of drugs.....

Somebody you didnt know...
    Who killed themselves because an addiction.....
    The difference being, Whitney could sing......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Speedy, that's entirely true. I think people react because she had opportunities that most people didn't have but they weren't enough to keep her safe from this disease. :? That's sad.

People like to believe that if something wonderful like a successful career and wealth came to them they'd be happy. Clearly, it wasn't enough for her to be happy while sober. Maybe that idea shakes people up a bit? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    Speedy, that's entirely true. I think people react because she had opportunities that most people didn't have but they weren't enough to keep her safe from this disease. :? That's sad.

People like to believe that if something wonderful like a successful career and wealth came to them they'd be happy. Clearly, it wasn't enough for her to be happy while sober. Maybe that idea shakes people up a bit? :geek:
    People say...

"I feel sorry for her daughter'

Well....

Whitney probably put that daughter through HELL for 19 years...Right?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • So Speedy if a member of PJ died similarly I shouldn't give a shit
    because I've never hung out with them never met them or was friends
    with them ? Just another OD ?

People make emotional connections with artists and songs so they
    get upset
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Speedy, I agree with you about her probably putting her daughter through hell. I haven't said anything about her death until what I just posted because what CAN you say?

She was an addict. One has to expect it was only a matter of time before it caught up with her and she died. If a person is thoughtful they also have to realize that she was probably as difficult for everyone around her as ANY addict would be. That's not a pretty picture and yet a person feels unkind for saying anything like this when someone dies rather tragically. And, the ONLY reason it's tragic in this case is that she didn't HAVE to go down this road. She wasn't some poor woman in the ghetto with no options... she was Whitney Houston. A famous, talented, and rich person. :wtf:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    In America, 100 people a day die of an overdose.......
    36,000 a year

Now I am not trying to be a heartless piece of shit here...But

Nobody here knew Whitney....
    Nobody here hung out with Whitney.....
    Nobody here called Whitney a friend....

Right???

So in a week or so, Whitney will be just like the other 35,999 people who will die this year of drugs.....

Somebody you didnt know...
    Who killed themselves because an addiction.....
    The difference being, Whitney could sing......

I think people "know" more about Whitney than the other 35,999 people they have never met/seen/heard/watched or read about....so they feel sadder for her than the other people that are just nameless faceless statistics....due to the connection they have made with Whitney due to her music or movie (did she make any other movies besides The Bodyguard?).

Why do people on here get their noses out of joint when people feel sad or a loss for celebrities who have died? If it was Eddie Vedder who died, I bet they'd feel a great sense of loss and probably sadness.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • I agree Ziggy

This whole forum would feel a loss if one of the band members died

I feel sorry for absolute strangers when I see a story on the news
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
This discussion has been closed.