The superbowl, an outsiders perspective...

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So many fat guys in this game... Strong, but fat... and oxygen tanks on the sidelines... The stop start nature allows for these fat guys to stay fat… Stop start Bores me to death... Just keep the game rolling boys... It has taken 3 hours to play 45 minutes of ball...

In our sports here, our defence and offence are the same, you have to be able to tackle and attack.

Padding, well we don’t have it, and we hit just as hard… But I realise why you have it… After you make a tackle or take a catch, or run 2 metres, half your team come up and smack you over the head. If they didn’t have a helmet on they would be down for the count…

I hardly know whats going on... I hope you have enjoyed it…
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Ya dumbest sport ever
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    The length of the game is ridiculous.....hurry the fuck up already
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • I agree. American football is soooooo freaking slow and boring. Give me hockey, as in ice, or rugby any day :D

Can you believe they had almost eight hours of pre-game coverage :o :shock: :? Ridiculous :roll:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Ummmm....not exactly. :?
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Ummmm....not exactly. :?

Not exactly what? It's an outsider's perspective of the game, or more specifically the Superbowl.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    So hypothetical situation...

Turnover - Timeout swap defence and offence... whats that 30seconds?

Offence causes a turnover on the first down 5-10 seconds?

Offence change with defence 30 seconds?

So a 1.10mins for 10seconds play...

Suck it up

You could get away with being so fat in this sport...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    It's like watching days of our lives, in the sense that you could go away for ages and still have missed nothing...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Not everybody will like everything.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    It's like watching days of our lives, in the sense that you could go away for ages and still have missed nothing...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Don't watch it then...pretty simple!!!
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    81 wrote:
    Not everybody will like everything.

Exactly, and I would never try convincing anyone that it is shit.. .I am a sports lover, I can appreciate certain aspects of the sport...

It's like if you watched some of our sports, you may appreciate our endurance, fitness skill etc.... Doesn't mean you like it
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    lukin2006 wrote:

Don't read or post in this thread... Pretty simple...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

:lol:
    pjfan31 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I think there are plenty of sports in the U.S. that demonstrate endurance and fitness skill. There are also a lot of men out on the field that are incredible athletes. Kinda unfair to lump the sport into the fat, nonathletic category. But it is true, as 81 said, that everybody is not going to love, or "get", everything.
    When you are done making better sports....can you work on your beer. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I could care less about the game itself. It is the wagering that makes it interesting for me.
  • I could care less about the game itself. It is the wagering that makes it interesting for me.
  • hockohocko Posts: 16
    As a born and bred Aussie ,I love watching the NFL....but then again as a Victorian i also love the NRL and super 14 better than Afl to
    Go Cincy :lol:
    Go Storm
    Go Rebels
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 19, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 14, 2006
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    EV solo palais theatre - Mar 25,2011
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think the biggest misconception is that these are the best athletes we have to offer, and that the game has been changed to make up for their lack of endurance or whatever. The big old fat dudes are that big on purpose, or if not, were chosen for being naturally that big. Just as wide receivers are chosen for their body size. They pack on mass to play the big man positions. The game of football and the pace has not been changed to cater to fat dudes. The pace of the game has always been the same.

Football is sort of a chess game, if you want something faster and non-stop, there are plenty of sports for that. Basketball, hockey, soccer whatever. Regardless of the stereotypical football fan being a stupid meathead, it's a pretty complicated game that requires a little bit of an attention span. I've been watching for almost 30 years and I learn new rules every year that I didn't even know. I learned one tonight about intentional grounding from the endzone being a safety.

If you aren't raised on it, or you don't care for it enough to watch it, it can look pretty dumb. But on the reverse I watch a game of Aussie Rules Football and it looks like a game of grabass. To each their own. And like somebody else said, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

As for the pads, the pads actually make the game more dangerous. There have been calls for years to remove or scale back the pads to reduce the high impact hits and make the game safer.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I think the biggest misconception is that these are the best athletes we have to offer, and that the game has been changed to make up for their lack of endurance or whatever. The big old fat dudes are that big on purpose, or if not, were chosen for being naturally that big. Just as wide receivers are chosen for their body size. They pack on mass to play the big man positions. The game of football and the pace has not been changed to cater to fat dudes. The pace of the game has always been the same.

Football is sort of a chess game, if you want something faster and non-stop, there are plenty of sports for that. Basketball, hockey, soccer whatever. Regardless of the stereotypical football fan being a stupid meathead, it's a pretty complicated game that requires a little bit of an attention span. I've been watching for almost 30 years and I learn new rules every year that I didn't even know. I learned one tonight about intentional grounding from the endzone being a safety.

If you aren't raised on it, or you don't care for it enough to watch it, it can look pretty dumb. But on the reverse I watch a game of Aussie Rules Football and it looks like a game of grabass. To each their own. And like somebody else said, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

+1. Very good post actually. Also, fuck Tom Brady! :lol:

Well said!!! :clap::clap::clap:

22 wrote:
    I think there are plenty of sports in the U.S. that demonstrate endurance and fitness skill. There are also a lot of men out on the field that are incredible athletes. Kinda unfair to lump the sport into the fat, nonathletic category. But it is true, as 81 said, that everybody is not going to love, or "get", everything.

This is a good point here too. The only big fat guys are the offensive and defensive linemen. If you look at the wide receivers, hardly an ounce of body fat. Running backs are usually shorter and more squat, but all muscle. Defensive secondary are much like receivers. The only fat dudes on the field are the fronts. It's actually kind of a good thing, because it's a game that even has a position for the fat kids who don't usually make the basketball team or whatever. There is a position for just about anybody in the game.
    Well said stand futon and thanks for the insight.

I would just highlight when you said Aussie rules is a game of grabarse. No problems with that perspective. There is no way that I would shoot you down. I was merely sharing a view or two that would be shared by many non Americans.

Thanks again. Didn't realise this would stir up so many hahaha
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    22 wrote:

This is a good point here too. The only big fat guys are the offensive and defensive linemen. If you look at the wide receivers, hardly an ounce of body fat. Running backs are usually shorter and more squat, but all muscle. Defensive secondary are much like receivers. The only fat dudes on the field are the fronts. It's actually kind of a good thing, because it's a game that even has a position for the fat kids who don't usually make the basketball team or whatever. There is a position for just about anybody in the game.

fat kids can play baseball...just look at Fielder or CC

or if they are short fat people....tehy can get on the Jerome Bettis Bus.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    To be fair I didn't lump the whole sport into one category. Of course there are fit guys. I am just saying that the stop start nature allows for the big guys. Now if it was a non stop sport played for 80minutes, separated by only a half time do you think the big guys would be able to survive? but in light of satans futons educating me, this is for a discussion not an insult

I enjoyed the spectacle of the event. And I'm sure if you guys sat through some of our sports you too would critique. And it's not a sport we're brought up on. It is a sport we would have to learn to appreciate. Appreciation of it doesn't come naturally. I attempted to appreciate it today and just shared some thoughts. Good to see Americans can take my observations in good spirits.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Well said stand futon and thanks for the insight.

I would just highlight when you said Aussie rules is a game of grabarse. No problems with that perspective. There is no way that I would shoot you down. I was merely sharing a view or two that would be shared by many non Americans.

Thanks again. Didn't realise this would stir up so many hahaha

Well I realize Aussie Rules Football isn't a game of grabass, I'm just saying when I turn it on, don't understand the rules, and it's not something I'm familiar with, that's what it looks like. I think the same can be said for a lot of sports. If not a game of grabass then a clusterfuck, as I once heard somebody describe the first game of hockey they ever saw.
    pjfan31 wrote:
    To be fair I didn't lump the whole sport into one category. Of course there are fit guys. I am just saying that the stop start nature allows for the big guys. Now if it was a non stop sport played for 80minutes, separated by only a half time do you think the big guys would be able to survive? but in light of satans futons educating me, this is for a discussion not an insult

I enjoyed the spectacle of the event. And I'm sure if you guys sat through some of our sports you too would critique. And it's not a sport we're brought up on. It is a sport we would have to learn to appreciate. Appreciation of it doesn't come naturally. I attempted to appreciate it today and just shared some thoughts. Good to see Americans can take my observations in good spirits.

now about that aussie beer :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

now about that aussie beer :x

We don't fucking drink Fosters....we just sell that shit to you guys.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    pjfan31 wrote:

My bad, my bad. When you said "It's like if you watched some of our sports, you may appreciate our endurance, fitness skill etc.... " I took it that way. I got ya now! :)

To be fair to the guys, we don't know if they would be able to. Even while some of them are big dudes, there's a lot that are very athletic and could very well be in condition to play that type of game. They train, condition, lift, etc. like the rest. They just must eat an exorbitant amount of calories. I'm sure some would and some wouldn't.