Options

YOUR favorite version of Black. GO!

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    Benny Hall- when the crowd takes over for the "I know some day..." part.....words can't explain how beautiful that sounds.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Unplugged hands down

however, I really love the newer versions with the crowd singing do do do do do do do very softly
  • Options
    I've been to a shit ton of shows and, obviously, heard Black a lot. But my fave is Chicago '98. So spectacular!
    Honorable mention: Philly show 4, PJ20 2, St.John's 2 and a few more thrown in too.
  • Options
    Dimi you are correct anyone at Berlin 10 cannot choose anyother version , head and shoulders above any ... Here comes the rain again , herecomes the pain again-( drifts off in to a flashback)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Mookie1 wrote:
    It may be obscure but check out St. Louis '03. Best version I have ever heard - talk about a guitar crying!
    and i try to remember from which show was this one....you are damn right!!!!
    its complitly different than any other version..the rythm,the sound of guitar!!Eddie voice..sing the words so slowly!!!..and the part.why,why cant it be mine...oh....
    fuckin great version..

and Mike solo????

oh GOD...

must be the best solo of any Black ever....

its like he take your sad feelings with his guitar and give them a take off...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Dimi you are correct anyone at Berlin 10 cannot choose anyother version , head and shoulders above any ... Here comes the rain again , herecomes the pain again-( drifts off in to a flashback)
    Berlin 10 was the one to experience..the feeling that created ...you cant feel it seeing you tube or listen the bootleg..
    was only for the ones was at the venue..

cant describe it..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I've seen Black 4 times. Best time was Manchester '09, was phenomenal.

Best I've heard is definitely Benaroya Hall, just an awesome performance.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    MTV Unplugged without a doubt.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Live on 2 Legs
    Verona 2000
    Indy 2000....my first show, the notes from 5:32-41 just bring home the solo so perfectly
    St. Louis 03 is specatacular, the delay manipulation at the end is such a great touch, Lubbock 2000 is another that he does something similar that always makes me think of a space ship taking off.

I think the Unplugged version is terribly overrated...Give me the emotion of a Mike solo every time over the We Belong Together tag.

The Poor Girl tag at PJ20 was cool for a change of pace as far as vocal tags go.
  • Options
    best song in the history of music...
  • Options
    RozbrRozbr Posts: 376
    Mtv unplugged !!
    Sao Paulo Brazil, 2005
    Benny
    Cleveland 2010
  • Options
    Rozbr wrote:
    Cleveland 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77teC83AGE

so great solo!!!!
  • Options
    Mookie1Mookie1 Posts: 223
    Getting dimitris approval for St. Louis 03 just made my day!
  • Options
    Mookie1 wrote:
    Getting dimitris approval for St. Louis 03 just made my day!
    Must listen it 15 times already today...thanks for remind me which version was this.. :)
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think the Unplugged version is terribly overrated....
    just look at Eddie...look his singing....listen his voice...his passion..his pain...
    and if you ever felted heartbroken..you will get it like the rest of us
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox wrote:
    just look at Eddie...look his singing....listen his voice...his passion..his pain...

I enjoy the take, but I just think Mike McC says so much more with his guitar.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Mookie1 wrote:
    It may be obscure but check out St. Louis '03. Best version I have ever heard - talk about a guitar crying!
    I'll second this version. Listen to Mike!!!!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I enjoy the take, but I just think Mike McC says so much more with his guitar.
    Mike says it all always...
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Mookie1 wrote:
    its complitly different than any other version..the rythm,the sound of guitar!!Eddie voice..sing the words so slowly!!!..and the part.why,why cant it be mine...oh....
    fuckin great version..

and Mike solo????

oh GOD...

Never heard this version, just looked it up and listened. :shock: DAMN that was good!! Raw and beautiful and powerful, and everything that a good 'Black' should be! LO2L is still my favorite but this performance is definitely one of their best! Thanks for the suggestion!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Dark Horse contender with some of the greats: San Jose '95.

I love LO2L, Ottawa '05, Unplugged, Benaroya, Boston '00, and a ton of great versions...and San Jose '95 is right up there. Mike goes nuts.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I forgot how great St. Louis 03 was. I just went back and listened to it. WOW!!!!! I change my vote!
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Mookie1 wrote:
    fuckin great version..

and Mike solo????

oh GOD...

Never heard this version, just looked it up and listened. :shock: DAMN that was good!! Raw and beautiful and powerful, and everything that a good 'Black' should be! LO2L is still my favorite but this performance is definitely one of their best! Thanks for the suggestion!

+1.

Great suggestions, some I haven't got, but that'll change now, thank you all.
    Love the way the band changes up different versions of my favourite song, all done with the most heartfelt emotion. Fantastic.
  • Options
    The Oracle wrote:
    [
    +1.

Great suggestions, some I haven't got, but that'll change now, thank you all.
    Love the way the band changes up different versions of my favourite song, all done with the most heartfelt emotion. Fantastic.
    exactly!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Being at Alpine it was pretty incredible. Interesting to see what it sounds like on a good quality boot
  • Options
    Memphis 2000. Sounds very close to the Lo2L but better
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,896
    Have to go with one I saw live so I'll say Alpine. Special significance as well because my friend that I shared tickets with had traveled to the States 3 times over the years from the Dominican Republic to see PJ. It's his favorite song and he finally got to see it at PJ20, so that just added to an already incredible version.
  • Options
    Hands down, April 23, 2003. Champaign, IL. The entire night was MAGIC. However, that version of Black will haunt me FOREVER. Can't explain it, still have a difficult time wrapping my head around it. Yet there it was. Pure. Simple. Complicated. Breathtaking. Majestic. Unadulterated Pearl Jam at their finest.
  • Options
    nocode22 wrote:
    Hands down, April 23, 2003. Champaign, IL. The entire night was MAGIC. However, that version of Black will haunt me FOREVER. Can't explain it, still have a difficult time wrapping my head around it. Yet there it was. Pure. Simple. Complicated. Breathtaking. Majestic. Unadulterated Pearl Jam at their finest.
    super version...and must be the only one with the verion at Benaroya that crowd sings "the i know someday" part...
    and of course the version is at a very special place..
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    TEN
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    Unplugged