different music tastes

2»

Comments

• BinFrog wrote:
    I went through a span of several years where I hardcore listened to nothing but blues...i immersed myself in it totally, listening and reading and studying the evolution of it. I'm also a huge fan of classic country artists like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Marty Robbins, Don Williams, Hank Williams the first and of course Cash. Also I was once a bigtime metalhead listening to the likes of Slayer and all and still enjoy that on occasion. Also into a lot of classic soul music. I'm one who lets the music decide what I listen to...seems whatever I listen to leads me to the next thing...sometimes I'll be listening to country for weeks on end, then soul, then blues, then back to rock...music is a journey. I've listened to some rap in my day mostly because my friends did and I had no choice but don't enjoy it...although much of Tupac's stuff is legitimate good music. Big fan of the Beasties since Licensed to Ill. Jazz, however, is something that has never held my interest at all

Jazz is a very broad genre. You might be surprised what is out there.
    Well i guess I have listened to and enjoyed some actually. Big fan of louis armstrong and Ray Charles jazzy stuff. I would classify some of Dr. John's work as jazzy and I like him too.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    OMG
    i forgot Hot Tuna and just Jorma
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Well i guess I have listened to and enjoyed some actually. Big fan of louis armstrong and Ray Charles jazzy stuff. I would classify some of Dr. John's work as jazzy and I like him too.

Have you ever delved into fusion or funk jazz?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,704
    My core favorites:

Pearl Jam
    Neil Young/Crazy Horse
    Jimi Hendrix
    Paul Westerberg/The Replacements
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Bob Dylan
    REM
    Patti Smith
    Lou Reed
    Mission of Burma
    Brian Eno
    The Minutemen
    The Psychedelic Furs
    Talking Heads
    David Bowie
    Nirvana
    The Beatles
    Jethro Tull
    Natalie Merchant
    Willie Nelson
    Waylon Jennings
    Merle Haggard
    John Mayall
    Taj Mahal
    Harvey Mandel
    Peter Green
    Muddy Waters
    Tim Buckley
    Sandy Bull
    John Coltrane
    Miles Davis
    Albert Ayler
    Sun Ra
    Pharaoh Sanders
    Larry Coryell
    Ornette Coleman
    Cecil Taylor
    Thelonius Monk
    Vince Guaraldi

I don't see any of them being out of synch with each other.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ is the top of the mountain for me but I also love Metallica, Biffy, Avenged Sevenfold, FFDP stuff like that

but also like Pink, Kelly Clarkson, and Carrie Underwood.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    once i left my teenage years and realized that i didn't have to listen to one genre of music i embraced whatever sounded good to me...so pretty much all popular music from the 50s thru the 80's plus big band music (thanks to my mom) and good country (willie, johnny etc. thanks to my dad) ...i love to listen to jazz but don't really go deep enough to like any particular artists

long story short...i love pearl jam but i also love the monkees :P
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    as a teenager, it was all metal, but MTV opened us all up to a lot of different things. I was a metal head but enjoyed things like Madonna, Duran Duran. I liked to listen to a lot of 'classic rock' on the radio too, so a lot of Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Who, etc. Then in college started likeing U2 a lot. Then there was my lost decade, where I didn't listen to too much, maybe got into Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Cranberries a little. Then I snapped out of it around 2004, and really got into U2, that led to Pearl Jam (only really got into them just a few years ago) and a few others. My sons discovered all my old metal casette tapes which caused a revival of metal. I like Linkin Park, Green Day, Arcade Fire, Muse, Foo Fighters. Recently, I have been discovering the Rolling Stones - I know all of their hits very well from radio, but now I am going back and enjoying all the albums, a lot of great stuff there. And who knows whats next.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    StillHere wrote:
    OMG
    I LOVE Hot Tuna.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    StillHere wrote:
    OMG
    I LOVE Hot Tuna.
    :thumbup: :wave:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    StillHere wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    OMG
    I LOVE Hot Tuna.
    thanks for introducing it to me! have been listening to it right now. great stuff!
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Oh and just to be clear, when I say the Who, I also mean Pete Townshend and ALL of his solo stuff, he's my favorite musically beyond anyone who has EVER existed. :D EVER. hands down.
    Bigda wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    OMG

thanks for introducing it to me! have been listening to it right now. great stuff!

cool!
    did you know that Jack and Jorma (Hot Tuna) are originally members of The Jefferson Airplane?
    (not the starship...the airplane incarnation) which is doubly awesome!
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

cool!
    did you know that Jack and Jorma (Hot Tuna) are originally members of The Jefferson Airplane?

nope! i have just figured that out! really, thanks, i mean it. sitting at desk all days long now it made whole lot of a different experience!:)

EDIT: an BTW i love Jefferson Airplane. just never followed them after that really:( should have.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
    Bigda wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

cool!

nope! i have just figured that out! really, thanks, i mean it. sitting at desk all days long now it made whole lot of a different experience!:)

EDIT: an BTW i love Jefferson Airplane. just never followed them after that really:( should have.

Enjoy :D:D:D
    peace,
    jo

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i enjoy some good old Run DMC
    Rockbox in particular
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    and forgot about good old Anthrax..
    but (preferably) from John Bush era. for me "We've come for you all" is one of the best come back albums of all times.
  • exept pj..

ok....i love the chill out ibiza sound
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37o8Ywotq0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jEN_Rpv3I

and this just pass my mind....this band can take me to frikkin places..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJy0Ftj494
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i enjoy some good old Run DMC
    Rockbox in particular

Who's house?

:D
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited January 2012
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but why doesn't this belong in Other Music? It seems like that's exactly where it should be. Not that I give a crap, just not understanding the reasoning

Lookin through my list on Itunes, I don't see any huge contradictions and I listen to a fairly broad range of music but 99% of it falls under the "rock" umbrella. I have some George Jones, Johnny Cash and some other early rock tunes, but I don't really thing that's a real big stretch. I have some tunes that kinda fall under the guilty pleasure category, but everybody has stuff like that.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • When I was in

3rd grade it was Elvis 8-)

5th was Country :o

7th was rap/hip hop :shock:

9th Bon Jovi Poison ect :?

10th I found love with Pearl jam...who then introduced me to so much more: the who, niel young, ramones ect

Now Its all a big mosh but with of course my 10th grade self in the lead...by a lot :D
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Funny this is right above the Justin Timberlake-esque thread :D (whose music I enjoy as well!)

I love all sorts of stuff. My trifecta is PJ, Zep, Beatles.

I've seen Hall and Oates live about 13 times. Daryl Hall has one of THE best soul voices anywhere, by anybody.

I love motown, rock, jazz (I especially love the old timey stuff that they play on cylinders), neosoul, opera, some pop, folk, rap, classical, only thing close to country I enjoy is Johnny Cash, but I think that's cuz my dad loves country so growing up I was drowning in it. I must have hit my limit already :lol:

Variety is the spice of life! :) I think it'd be awfully boring to only listen to one type of music, especially since a lot of genres are informed and created by others.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Oh and just to be clear, when I say the Who, I also mean Pete Townshend and ALL of his solo stuff, he's my favorite musically beyond anyone who has EVER existed. :D EVER. hands down.
    Same here. :mrgreen:
    I've had some discussions with Ms. Pure and Easy about our mutual admiration of PT.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."