different music tastes

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
and this doesn't belong in the other music forum, because it's just a general question out of curiousity.

Obviously, we’re all PJ fans here, but who is it that you like that people might find a contradiction in terms of musical tastes. My favorites are the Who and Pearl Jam.

But I’m also a HUGE Neil Diamond and Kenny Loggins fan, which is kind of completely opposite of the Who and PJ.

I’ve seen Kenny Loggins about 8 times in concert and I would love to see Neil Diamond, but never have.

I’ve seen the Who 18 times and PJ about 60 times.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    My favorites are Pearl Jam (obviously), Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana

But I have also always been a huge fan of Madonna
    and I love Lady Gaga
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Great thread idea!

I'll listen to pretty much everything but my hubby's got the craziest musical taste of anyone I know. His main loves are metal and 70's stoner rock bands...but his favorite band is Suicidal Tendencies...and he also loves Tori Amos.

He's also obsessed with Pink Floyd yet has never done a drug in his life :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    In general i'm just a rock fan, and as far as i'm concerned its all just rock music, not glam/ grunge or thrash etc. and my tastes vary from bryan adams - slayer. and even bands i don't like, i don't slag off, because i believe in each to their own. maybe i'm just too easy going.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I listen to a pretty broad spectrum...from Andrea Bocelli to Robin Thicke to Marvin Gaye to Bread to Madonna to Armin Van Buuren to Basement Jaxx to PJ
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I love ALL music...

90's, 80's, 00's, new stuff...

BUT

Until recently had season tickets to the opera... seen Madonna, Barry Manillow, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand in concert...

I also am an avid Jazz fan... having seen Miles Davis, Dizzie Gallespie and even... Kenny G :lol: (not on purpose, client loved him)

Been to country music shows... Funk concerts, Rap shows (Including Run DMC back in the day), Heavy Metal, Hair bands (Bon Jovi a few times, he's fun) and everything in between...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Great thread idea!

I'll listen to pretty much everything but my hubby's got the craziest musical taste of anyone I know. His main loves are metal and 70's stoner rock bands...but his favorite band is Suicidal Tendencies...and he also loves Tori Amos.

ahh suicidal tendencies, theres a band i haven't listend to in a while, thanks for the influence :D
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Well, The Who is my band (duh!) and I'm obviously a PJ fan. Other big faves are REM, Bob Marley, and the Smithereens.

Some people seem surprised that I like reggae so much but I think they'd be even more surprised that I love the Chieftains.

On the other hand, as a Texan I've been surrounded by country music my entire life and for the most part I can't stand it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I listen to Tool a lot

Pearl Jam

The Who

A Perfect Circle

Puscifer

The National

Modest Mouse

The Shins

And... I listen to some rap/hip-hop. N.W.A. Wu-Tang Clan.

Right now I'm listening to Snoop Dogg
    Well, The Who is my band (duh!) and I'm obviously a PJ fan. Other big faves are REM, Bob Marley, and the Smithereens.

Some people seem surprised that I like reggae so much but I think they'd be even more surprised that I love the Chieftains.

On the other hand, as a Texan I've been surrounded by country music my entire life and for the most part I can't stand it.

I love the Chieftains!!! :thumbup:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Pearl Jam and Neil Young are my two absolute favorites, but I also love the music of the sixties-the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Temptations, the Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, and many more.

I also love a lot of British folk music and the music of John Denver, Jackson Browne, and James Taylor. Oh, and Simon and Garfunkel, Tom Petty and Springsteen. I guess there are too many to list them all! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My other favorite band is Rush.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I listen to a lot of different stuff. This is what I have in my rhapsody library.

Pearl Jam
    Dave Matthews Band
    Tool
    Blind Melon
    Uncle Neil
    The doors
    Steely Dan
    little River Band
    80s. Anything 80s
    10000 maniacs
    Natalie Merchant
    The Who
    Floyd
    Ghostface Killah
    Method Man
    Rage against the machine
    Third eye blind (first album)
    Train
    The begees
    Billy Joel
    Bruce Hornsbey
    Grateful dead
    Tool

:clap:
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Slayer but also Tori Amos, The Pogues, The Clash and Crass and Conflict but also Cat Power and PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beastie Boys but also Iron Maiden and Motorhead, Mumford and Sons but also And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead.. Sonic Youth, but also Sigur Ros, Red Sparrowes, Isis or Rage Against the Machine.. The Breeders, Mark Eitzel, Tool and Faith No More and Dirty Three..

soo many..

btw if you guys are looking for some new stuff look up Kasia Nosowska:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89E94wxRJw8

Polish singer which i love to the bone. First person interested PM me and will get some music of her from me to try it at home.

peace.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I love ALL music...

90's, 80's, 00's, new stuff...

BUT

Until recently had season tickets to the opera... seen Madonna, Barry Manillow, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand in concert...

I also am an avid Jazz fan... having seen Miles Davis, Dizzie Gallespie and even... Kenny G :lol: (not on purpose, client loved him)

Been to country music shows... Funk concerts, Rap shows (Including Run DMC back in the day), Heavy Metal, Hair bands (Bon Jovi a few times, he's fun) and everything in between...

Oh I love Barbara too, I would KILL to see her live, but I don't have $2,000 disposal income :lol:
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Great thread idea!

That's crazy? I guess I need to be fitted for a straitjacket. I like all the stuff you mentioned.

Recently, somebody I work with jokingly suggested that I check out a Swedish metal band called Ghost and I loved what I heard. They do an amazing cover of Here Comes the Sun.
    JTH wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Great thread idea!

That's crazy? I guess I need to be fitted for a straitjacket. I like all the stuff you mentioned.

Recently, somebody I work with jokingly suggested that I check out a Swedish metal band called Ghost and I loved what I heard. They do an amazing cover of Here Comes the Sun.

:lol: He's the only metal-head I know that listens to Tori!

Ghost just played in Chicago the other night methinks.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Great thread idea!

A lot of prog & metal fans like Tori for some reason.
    BinFrog wrote:

Tori Amos is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_33BbQlBg

video is her with Maynard James Keenan... of Tool
  • I went through a span of several years where I hardcore listened to nothing but blues...i immersed myself in it totally, listening and reading and studying the evolution of it. I'm also a huge fan of classic country artists like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Marty Robbins, Don Williams, Hank Williams the first and of course Cash. Also I was once a bigtime metalhead listening to the likes of Slayer and all and still enjoy that on occasion. Also into a lot of classic soul music. I'm one who lets the music decide what I listen to...seems whatever I listen to leads me to the next thing...sometimes I'll be listening to country for weeks on end, then soul, then blues, then back to rock...music is a journey. I've listened to some rap in my day mostly because my friends did and I had no choice but don't enjoy it...although much of Tupac's stuff is legitimate good music. Big fan of the Beasties since Licensed to Ill. Jazz, however, is something that has never held my interest at all
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    PJ fav... others that i go to: Hip, Matt Good, Sam Roberts, AIC, SG, STP, RUsh, Zepplin, and the who.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Frank Sinatra - I can handle the whole Rat Pack, but Frankie is the Chairman of the Board

Johnny Cash
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • KatKat Posts: 4,842
    Pearl Jam and Orchestras. There are other amazing rock bands too but just for an example of why these two choices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucDgkfP ... re=related

All the different instruments, strings, horns, percussion...love the drums. It has so many musicians playing together and making a huge sound....and I love music that builds. That would fit with many Who songs too and I love when Pearl Jam's music does that. Wash builds. :)

Anyway...those sure are different.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Kat wrote:
    Pearl Jam and Orchestras. There are other amazing rock bands too but just for an example of why these two choices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucDgkfP ... re=related

All the different instruments, strings, horns, percussion...love the drums. It has so many musicians playing together and making a huge sound....and I love music that builds. That would fit with many Who songs too and I love when Pearl Jam's music does that. Wash builds. :)

Anyway...those sure are different.

:P
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I also like CSNY, love the harmonzing

and lately, I don't know why, but I've really been into Linkin Park.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    i like to listen to a little bit of everything. being the youngest of 4 opened my eyes & ears to everything growing up.

my oldest sister's favorite band in high school was Wham! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Pearl Jam...you already know that
    Grateful Dead (Jerry Garcia in various incarnations)
    Metallica (old)
    Dave Matthews Band
    Bruce Springsteen (in all of his various incarnations as well...BSB, ESB, etc)
    Nirvana
    Neil Young (and Neil Old :D and Crazy Horse and Buffalo Springfield)
    my all time fav too bad there isn't much is Mad Season
    Rancid
    Weezer
    old punk (70s and early 80s)
    The Who
    Cat Stevens
    stuff like that
    i even like some of the newer bands like
    Seether & Breaking Benjamin

and I once was..and sometimes still am a big TuPac fan as well as Andre 3000 (Outkast) and
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Mamasan23 wrote:

BinFrog wrote:

Tori covered Raining Blood quite admirably.

And yes, Ghost played on Tuesday night at the Bottom Lounge. I tried to talk my wife into checking them out (we were on our way home from the Hawks game) but that's a really tough sell at 10:30 on a Tuesday night.
    I went through a span of several years where I hardcore listened to nothing but blues...i immersed myself in it totally, listening and reading and studying the evolution of it. I'm also a huge fan of classic country artists like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Marty Robbins, Don Williams, Hank Williams the first and of course Cash. Also I was once a bigtime metalhead listening to the likes of Slayer and all and still enjoy that on occasion. Also into a lot of classic soul music. I'm one who lets the music decide what I listen to...seems whatever I listen to leads me to the next thing...sometimes I'll be listening to country for weeks on end, then soul, then blues, then back to rock...music is a journey. I've listened to some rap in my day mostly because my friends did and I had no choice but don't enjoy it...although much of Tupac's stuff is legitimate good music. Big fan of the Beasties since Licensed to Ill. Jazz, however, is something that has never held my interest at all

Jazz is a very broad genre. You might be surprised what is out there.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited January 2012
    PJ and Neil Young are my big favorites, but I also love Jonny Lang, Frank Zappa, the Reverend Horton Heat and Jack White.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on