Luck (HBO)

2»

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Fantastic first episode. This is gonna be a great show. I love horseracing and this series looks like it'll do the sport of kings justice. Can't wait for episode 2.

nice...feel free to explain the pilot episode to the rest of us then. :mrgreen:

Ha...yeah, a quick synopsis of everything that happened sure would be nice.

the 4 degenerates bet a pick 6 at santa anita..cost them $ 900 for the ticket
    we saw them getting their money up in the beginning
    they hit and are deciding how to claim it tax wise

hoffman is the wise guy out of jail..his driver owns a great horse for him )i guess he couldn't own it from jail or whatever

escalante is a great trainer,but very crooked
    seems like he is training hoffman's horse

the stuttering guy seems to be a jockey agent

nolte not sure yet

the coming attractions show you how deep this show is gonna get
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431

hoffman is the wise guy out of jail..his driver owns a great horse for him )i guess he couldn't own it from jail or whatever

nolte not sure yet

i was going to explain the pick 6 and all the bets but wasn't sure if that is what people were confused about. anywho...

what i got from the nolte character is it looks like he had a champion contender in the past who somehow lost that horse and the new one is somehow related to the previous contender. this is what i got from him talking to the horse at the end. i would guess that it will end up being hoffman's character that had something to do with it from the previews of some of the upcoming episodes.

totally looking forward to it again next week.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Why is this on three stations at the same time?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Why is this on three stations at the same time?

because HBO finally got tired of showing Date Night and Dinner for Schmucks every 2 hours. probably a topic for another day but man these cable movie channels show 97% shit and 3% good stuff...and they show the 3% just enough to keep you coming back. HBO series obviously change that a bit, but the movies they show mostly are terrible.

• the 4 degenerates bet a pick 6 at santa anita..cost them $ 900 for the ticket

nolte not sure yet

Very nice wrap-up. I picked up on pretty much all of that except Nolte. The only thing I picked up on him was he looked like some crazy old man talking to a horse. :lol:

You said you worked in the industry for 8 years?? That's pretty cool....what did you do?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    agreed. i guess i got more out of it than i thought.

did nolte say something about his previous horse getting killed?

with escalante, how is he crooked? i'm assuming trainers are not allowed to place bets on horses let alone different ones right? did he tell the jockey to take him wide, because he wanted him to lose and had more money on the other horse? :?

and is there something more with those dudes who hit the super 6 other than figuring out how to claim the money tax wise? what's the difference if they came forward to claim it then or the next day? i didn't understand that.
    www.myspace.com

nolte not sure yet

Very nice wrap-up. I picked up on pretty much all of that except Nolte. The only thing I picked up on him was he looked like some crazy old man talking to a horse. :lol:

You said you worked in the industry for 8 years?? That's pretty cool....what did you do?

took bets at otb ( nyc off track betting ) which went out of business last year
    500 friends out of work in a heartbeat...fucked up

the only legal bookie to claim they LOST millions :roll:

lots of fat cats were pocketing the cash under the table
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    btw

episode 2 is up on HBO TO GO
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I watched the pilot again yesterday- think watching the 2nd time helped.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I watched the pilot again yesterday- think watching the 2nd time helped.

I was thinking about doing that too. I think I'll do that tonight.

• took bets at otb ( nyc off track betting ) which went out of business last year
    500 friends out of work in a heartbeat...fucked up

the only legal bookie to claim they LOST millions :roll:

lots of fat cats were pocketing the cash under the table

Sorry to hear that...500 out of work just like that is messed up.

I can imagine there are lots of shady, under the table things going on in the world of horse racing. Can't wait until summer....nothing like a beautiful summer day at the track.
    agreed. i guess i got more out of it than i thought.

did nolte say something about his previous horse getting killed?

with escalante, how is he crooked? i'm assuming trainers are not allowed to place bets on horses let alone different ones right? did he tell the jockey to take him wide, because he wanted him to lose and had more money on the other horse? :?

and is there something more with those dudes who hit the super 6 other than figuring out how to claim the money tax wise? what's the difference if they came forward to claim it then or the next day? i didn't understand that.

nolte's character - i thought i heard him mutter something about a previous horse and taking him out or down or something and something to the effect that this new horse was like the previous one. i'll have to rewatch that part to be sure but that is what i got out his mumbling to the horse at the end.

escalante - trainers and owners definitely cannot bet on another horse. he put the young jockey on that horse because he wanted to odds to say high to collect more money on the win. one of the conversations from the 4 bettors who won the pick 6 was that escalante put that jockey on the horse so he could take more credit when it won. basically not showing how good the horse really is. as for wanting the jockey to take him wide i can only speculate that either he thought that was the best strategy for real OR he figured he would win going wide anyway but would keep his time down setting up higher odds the next time he runs because his win wouldn't have been as great allowing him to possibly make more money next time out as well. just my take on that though and could be totally wrong.

as for collecting the money maybe just didn't want to be on tv announcing their winning? i would probably be wary of that. probably a back story to it though as they are obviously somewhat shady characters.

on another note looks like another HBO series with great casting. even in the 1st episode seemed like the cast fit right into their characters well. only one i question is the driver for hoffman (cerano from Midnight Run) who seems a bit too gangster-ish just to be a driver...although i suspect there is going to be a lot more to his character than was let on in the 1st episode.
  • First episode on HBO Latin America, it was amazing, the scene with Nick Nolte talking to the horse was amazing, but the prize was taken by the last one, Dustin Hoffman talking to Dennis Farina, unvelibable, and de soundtrack was pretty good to, the same as in Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Finally got around to watching episode 2 last night (it still smazes me that networks put new episodes of shows on Super Bowl Sunday. But I guess w/ DVR, it doesn't really matter). I really enjoyed this episode...nothing too crazy happened, but they are really developing these characters. Man that guy Jerry is a complete degenerate. I still can barely understand Escalante....the guy talks like Ozzie Guillen.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

wow that sucks. i didn't know about the first two...

i did give up on this show after the 2nd episode though. couldn't get into it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

wow that sucks. i didn't know about the first two...

i did give up on this show after the 2nd episode though. couldn't get into it.

Yeah, I didn't know about the horses dying.

I have stuck with it this season, but it has been a pretty tough watch at times.