Luck (HBO)

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
looking forward to this!
From acclaimed director Michael Mann and 'Deadwood' creator David Milch, 'Luck' takes a provocative look at the world of horse racing - the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players.  The cast stars Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Richard Kind, Ian Hart, Kevin Dunn, Ritchie Coster, Jason Gedrick, Jill Hennessy, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte. The pilot is directed by Michael Mann and written by David Milch.

http://www.hbo.com/#/luck/about/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Previews look AWESOME!!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    All set on my DVR for Sunday. And it will end right when Game of Thrones season 2 starts.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    looks pretty good....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • This is aired on February 5, on HBO Latin America. Been waiting for this and watching the trailers since last December
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Yeah the preview (pilot episode) was pretty sweet. I am a huge Milch fan, Deadwood was one of my all time favorites. Only hoping and praying (to Tim Tebow and the Flying Spaghetti Monster both) that the characters are as fucked up as on Deadwood.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • All set on my DVR for Sunday. And it will end right when Game of Thrones season 2 starts.

My DVR is set as well. Really looking forward to this one...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Stoked! With football being over my Sunday nights won't be so excruciating while I wait for Game of Thrones to start.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Stoked! With football being over my Sunday nights won't be so excruciating while I wait for Game of Thrones to start.

So depressing that theres only 1 more football game left this season. What the hell am I going to do w/ my Sundays now???

Didn't watch Game of Thrones.....I hear lots of good things about it. I think it is on demand right now. May have to check out the 1st season before the new one starts.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

So depressing that theres only 1 more football game left this season. What the hell am I going to do w/ my Sundays now???

Didn't watch Game of Thrones.....I hear lots of good things about it. I think it is on demand right now. May have to check out the 1st season before the new one starts.

Sundays during non-football season are the worst :cry:

WATCH IT, you can thank me later!

Sorry for the thread derail!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Sundays during non-football season are the worst :cry:

WATCH IT, you can thank me later!

Sorry for the thread derail!

I'm always derailing threads around here. Will definitely check out game of thrones.

But anyways....Luck looks great! Horse racing, gambling, and Dennis Farina?? Can't go wrong with those 3 things.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    looking forward to it
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    bum for tonight's premiere
  • What did everybody think? I thought it was pretty good although I was pretty confused for most of the episode. And I could barely understand a word that that trainer Escalante I think his name is was saying. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

That racetrack is beautiful...that is Santa Anita, right?
  • Horse Racing....

A bunch of Long Legged Rats....Running as fast as they can.....
    With midgets in goggles on top of them.....Whipping the long legged rats.....

And we get to place bets on which midget and Long Legged Rat wins????

How can you NOT like Horse Racing????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    What did everybody think? I thought it was pretty good although I was pretty confused for most of the episode. And I could barely understand a word that that trainer Escalante I think his name is was saying. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

That racetrack is beautiful...that is Santa Anita, right?

i'll be honest with, and granted i did watch this while sleepy and laying up in bed, i have no idea what the hell happened.

tough to understand the trainer, and that dude from curb (forget his name-the one who was stuttering), couldn't hear most of what nick nolte was muttering.....so many storylines and they're all pretty difficult to pick up on.

the track is beautiful. love the way it was shot.

i want to really like this show. i'm hoping they sort of slow things down and invite the viewer into the show a little more next week....if that makes any sense?
    www.myspace.com
    Felt the same way, not really sure what is going on. I'm going to watch a couple more episodes to see if starts to explain what everyones story is.
    Felt the same way, not really sure what is going on. I'm going to watch a couple more episodes to see if starts to explain what everyones story is.

sometimes pilots are like that. and then everything slows down as they get into the season.

does anyone know why they aired the pilot after the finale of boardwalk? i forgot that i dvr'd until last night. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

sometimes pilots are like that. and then everything slows down as they get into the season.

does anyone know why they aired the pilot after the finale of boardwalk? i forgot that i dvr'd until last night. :lol:

that's what I'm thinking, there will be some flashbacks or something over the next few weeks. Not sure why they put it on after BWE, as a stand alone episode, I don't think it was very strong.
  • I read a couple reviews from critics who have seen the entire season and they say its one of these shows that you have to stick with for a few episodes. It's only 9 episodes so hopefully it will be worth sticking with.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    i thought it was pretty good but i've always liked the race track so i might not be the most unbiased observer. thought the racing scenes were pretty neat. can see the power those horses possess. definitely have seen reviews that says it gets much better after the 1st episode. 1st episode has to set the story up which i thought they pretty much did. agree on was a little hard to following what was being said by the escalante guy and the stutterer. never been to santa anita but it is beautiful with the mountains in the background and all.
    Had the same thoughts as everyone, i felt like I was lost throughout most of it. Couldn't understand a word out of Escalante at all, and not sure how everyone fits in together. Definitely not a fan of the scene where the horse broke his leg :(

But I'm hopeful because I want to like it too and will stick with it for a couple episodes.

Anyone catch the GOT trailer 2 before Luck premiered? YESSSSS.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957

HBO is like a crack dealer...they want to get you hooked so you'll come back for more. Pretty sure they aired the pilot after Boardwalk's finale in hopes of getting that massive audience hooked into the new show since there was a lag between new shows due to the holidays. It's also why they had a free weekend for non-subscribers the night Boardwalk premiered as well as this weekend for the Luck premiere. Expect another free preview when season 2 of Game of Thrones begins.
  • Fantastic first episode. This is gonna be a great show. I love horseracing and this series looks like it'll do the sport of kings justice. Can't wait for episode 2.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Heisenberg wrote:

HBO is like a crack dealer...they want to get you hooked so you'll come back for more. Pretty sure they aired the pilot after Boardwalk's finale in hopes of getting that massive audience hooked into the new show since there was a lag between new shows due to the holidays. It's also why they had a free weekend for non-subscribers the night Boardwalk premiered as well as this weekend for the Luck premiere. Expect another free preview when season 2 of Game of Thrones begins.

Crack dealer? It's called brilliant marketing.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:

Crack dealer? It's called brilliant marketing.

I wasn't debating that, I'm as hooked on their product as anyone.
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    I wasn't debating that, I'm as hooked on their product as anyone.

Ha...as am I.
    Fantastic first episode. This is gonna be a great show. I love horseracing and this series looks like it'll do the sport of kings justice. Can't wait for episode 2.

nice...feel free to explain the pilot episode to the rest of us then. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Fantastic first episode. This is gonna be a great show. I love horseracing and this series looks like it'll do the sport of kings justice. Can't wait for episode 2.

Ha...yeah, a quick synopsis of everything that happened sure would be nice.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Fantastic first episode. This is gonna be a great show. I love horseracing and this series looks like it'll do the sport of kings justice. Can't wait for episode 2.

this helped me a little

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... -luck.html

hopefully the show will get better but that pilot was terrible...only towards the end of the show did i realize what the 4 guys were doing...and i thought the focused on dustin's character :? and hopefully no more michael mann's dull directing
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    just watched it....AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

and considering i was in the business for 8 years makes it even better
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......