What do you do when you can't sleep?

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,704
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
A sequel to I Can't Sleep!!!! and flip side to the official Go To Bed! thread.

It's the middle of the night. You have to work the next day and you can't sleep. What do you do? Me? What I'm doing right now. :-|
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    smoke a bowl...not that I have any experience in that or anything...ummm yeah...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,704
    RKCNDY wrote:
    smoke a bowl...not that I have any experience in that or anything...ummm yeah...
    Me neither though I must admit that keeps me awake too... I mean, not that I would know, I mean... :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited February 2012
    fairysmile-vi.gif
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Take Xanax

sure...I'll just pop on over to my 24 hour drugstore and pick up some Xanax... :lol:

I think I have some left from PJ20
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Go for a walk to the beach. ;) good luck Bri! :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    Take Xanax

sure...I'll just pop on over to my 24 hour drugstore and pick up some Xanax... :lol:

I think I have some left from PJ20

Get it from your drug dealer/pot supplier or you could always just try Benadryl.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i lie in bed awake thinking about ways to get to sleep.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Can't do a damn thing, smoking (up) or drinking beer just keeps me up later.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I have a sound machine. Ebb tide puts me to sleep or back to sleep in about 15 minutes. Believe me, I thought it was a crock but I was waking up with worry about money etc...so stress was just about ruining me. Now I rarely have any problem easing back to slumber. To me it's a miracle no drug solution.

If you need a quick fix, benedryl always works.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I watch TV. Doesn't help though.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    brianlux wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Me neither though I must admit that keeps me awake too... I mean, not that I would know, I mean... :lol:

It keeps you awake? :o
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    If it is wee hours I try to fall back to sleep ... move to the recliner in the sitting room

but If its going on 4am just get up ... "I like wake up with Chesley" at 4:30
    he's our weather guy... has the least seniority and has to do the very early morning show
    he's a fun guy ...
    very much a sharp dresser and sometimes says some off the wall stuff I really like :D
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I get up and work....why waste all those productive hours trying to sleep when your body clearly doesn't need sleep? People sleep too much imo.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Take care of "things"
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    sports talk radio does the trick for me
    Take care of "things"

:lol: I was going to say the same thing but thought noooo, I'm just not that kind of girl to talk about such things so openly!
  • Think happy thoughts!!!

Sounds hokey, but it works. I even tell my kids this trick - what happened today that made you smile? It can be something as silly as your favorite team winning to something as great as getting 100% on a test (and it doesn't necessarily have to happen TODAY).

Works every time... (Unless I really don't want to go to sleep in which case I turn on the tv and watch something mindless).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Take care of "things"

:lol: I was going to say the same thing but thought noooo, I'm just not that kind of girl to talk about such things so openly!
    Miss Manners would never do that :P :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    Take care of "things"

But you just did. :? :oops: :shock: :D
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

But you just did. :? :oops: :shock: :D

I know and I'm DISGUSTED with myself! Ahhh there's a first for everything I guess! This is an all ages forum you know!! :lol:
    Good ideas here, everyone!

Next question: What do you do when you've been up most of the night to get yourself in gear (assuming you're like me and do use any amphetamines stronger than coffee.) I'm opening the store in 55 minutes and I just know the first customer is going to walk in, take one look at me and think instantly of "Night of the Living Dead"!

(Zombie smilie)

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    unfortunately what I end up doing is just laying in bed, trying to sleep, continuously looking at the clock, and end up essentially having a near panic attack due to the premonition of how crappy I'm going to feel the next day. I do not advise this approach. Usually finally end up falling asleep at 4 or 5 only to have to get up a few hours later. DESPISE insomnia.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    brianlux wrote:

Next question: What do you do when you've been up most of the night to get yourself in gear (assuming you're like me and do use any amphetamines stronger than coffee.) I'm opening the store in 55 minutes and I just know the first customer is going to walk in, take one look at me and think instantly of "Night of the Living Dead"!

(Zombie smilie)

sunglasses? :lol:

I always do yoga when I can't sleep. It always works for me.
    Jeanwah wrote:

sunglasses? :lol:

There you go! I'll just pretend I'm being cool! (Until I can't remember who wrote War and Peace or something I usually know!)

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    brianlux wrote:

(Zombie smilie)
    People tell me I look tired even when I'm not. So I just run with it. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Take care of "things"

well now it's official...ziggy's account has been taken over by a blonde prude!!! :shock: :P

as for what i do...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Take care of "things"

not that i have any experience in either of these options :silent:
    norm wrote:
    as for what i do...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Take care of "things"

Just don't forget which one you are doing or you could burn your palms.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    as for what i do...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Take care of "things"

Just don't forget which one you are doing or you could burn your palms.

depending on my mood, either one could end with burned palms :shock: :P :lol:
    norm wrote:
    depending on my mood, either one could end with burned palms :shock: :P :lol:
    :lol: :? :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    yoga or go for a run. If it's too cold out to run, then I go and do a few sets of stairs in the house. That usually tires me out.