Aurora Borealis Northern Lights

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
The news here in Boston says we'll be able to see it tonight between 11-2am. Away from city lights obviously.

Anyone see these before? How awesome were they?
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This is on my bucket list...very jealous of everyone up north tonight...should be phenominal if clear.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • They are awesome and worth taking the ride out of the city lights to see. A lot of the country will be able to see them since the sun has been shooting huge fireballs at us lately.
  • Oh its super clear right now. Not a cloud in the sky. We're planning on going up to a high spot away from the city and having a few beverages.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    one day...I want to go to Norway to see them...

this is in Russia: http://vimeo.com/21294655
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I heard that on the news last night too. Unreal!! Never in my life did i think we'd have a shot at seeing it in Connecticut! Hopefully I can catch a glimpse. And hopefully this crazy ass fog dies down so we can see it! Monday, we had 8 inches of snow on the ground. Last night it rained and got up to about 50 degrees. Could hardly see shit thru all that fog!!! Just about all that snow is gone now though, so Im hopeful the fog will not interfere :D

I'll try and take some pics if Im lucky enough to catch it.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i have seen them in various locales ... but only greens and yellows vs. the full spectrum you would see in the polar regions in the winter sky ... i've been meaning to make my way back to fairbanks, ak in the winter just to see these ...

they are pretty awesome ...
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    If you've never seen them, I would put it on your Bucket List for sure. It's breathtaking to see.
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • Oh its super clear right now. Not a cloud in the sky. We're planning on going up to a high spot away from the city and having a few beverages.

There are many different variations of them. They will ribbon or flash. Sounds romantic. ;)
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    I live in Finland, and I've only seen them once! They were really nice though, kinda like large, transparent green and yellow ribbons! 8-)
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    saw em once through the window/windshield of a semi tractor trailer when hauling freight in and out of Alaska. it was pretty amazing. what we saw was weak actually and still the lights were ass kickin.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • It sounds like its gonna be awesome
    It sounds like its gonna be awesome
    i can't imagine boston area being good for viewing stars, full moons, or the aurora borealis. do y'all see stars and good shots of the moon what with all the lights and things?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlaRV9tEn0

from the space shuttle

:shock:
  • chadwick wrote:
    It sounds like its gonna be awesome
    i can't imagine boston area being good for viewing stars, full moons, or the aurora borealis. do y'all see stars and good shots of the moon what with all the lights and things?
    I live a good distance from the city and we get very bright stars and great views of the moon on clear nights. I'm sure up in the mountains of New Hampshire it'll be more vibrant, but we should have a decent view tonight.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i need to see this one day
    I live a good distance from the city and we get very bright stars and great views of the moon on clear nights. I'm sure up in the mountains of New Hampshire it'll be more vibrant, but we should have a decent view tonight.
    nicely done, Sir. hot chocolate in the thermos or hot tea or coffee?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Saw a few times during my 18 years in VT.
    One time was lucky enough to be during a party my senior year in high school. We were all very much under the influence (being 18, of everything we could get our hands on) and it was simply magical as we stood outside for a very long time in the freezing cold to check it out.
    Worth staying up for tonight if you can see -- sometimes it is minor but when it goes in a big way it is like seeing a light show in the sky. So cool!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    old newfie wives tale.. you whistle, sing, or play music they come down and dance for ya.

have fun
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    ive seen them here twice (in the early & later 90's) from my yard. guess it would've been better viewing out in the boonies. still it was very awe inspiring to catch sight of them....

too bad it's storming like a bitch out there this evening.

as pretty as what i saw was it pales in comparison to some of the pics my sis that lives in alaska has taken...aside from viewing their property she's told me there's times when driving at night that she'll pull over to the side of the road & get out just to absorb all of the colors :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The news here in Boston says we'll be able to see it tonight between 11-2am. Away from city lights obviously.

Anyone see these before? How awesome were they?

I heard there was a big sun flare over the weekend to help with this...

We saw them in Milwaukee... I was a young woman in my twenties

unbelievable is all I have to say .. your thrill will last a lifetime 8-)

Enjoy! :D
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    norm wrote:
    i need to see this one day

+1

Did anyone see them last night?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Spent about 3 hours staring at the sky last night. Thought I saw something at one point, but couldn't be sure. Felt like a waste of time. I'll be trying again tonight.
  • How long is this supposed to go on for? I peeked outside a few times last night...didnt see anything, but the news made it sound like we probably wouldn't see anything so I didnt spend all night out there.... I'd hate to find out that I missed a free light show in my back yard though!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• I think tonights the last night we have a chance to see something. I was crestfallen last night.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    I think tonights the last night we have a chance to see something. I was crestfallen last night.

hope you see them. i've only seen them once when i was a kid...but i'll never forget it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Nothing again tonight. Cloudy. :| Someday.
  • I was talking to some guy who set up his camera over a lake and it became cloudy. Stinks. No lights.
  • apparently it was a killer show in Alaska
    if you could brave the cold ass temps

apparently there are aurora chasers
    now that would be a cool hobby/job!
    get into photography and travel around alaska to see the lights