Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives...

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
....best show on television....discuss ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I will give you "best job ever"

but not best show..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I really like the show, I just think the host is annoying.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I hate Guy...
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Maybe the most annoying tv host ever... what the hell is with the sunglasses.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    While the host does dress like a douche, this show is great. I try not to watch it before dinner though, because the food they show instantly makes me hungry. Hell, it makes me hungry after dinner.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The concept is great. The host is a douche. Stupid ass fucking glasses
  • I dig this show. They filmed an episode at a place I go to a lot here in Cincinnati a couple years ago and I finally caught a rerun of it the other day.

I prefer Man vs. Food now a days though.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Great show...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I like the show, but I don't think it's the best show on TV by a long shot. More like good filler to catch in between stuff I really care to watch.

Who knew there was so much hate for Guy? His catchphrases can get a little annoying but heseems pretty likeable to me. And that car he cruises in is badass!!
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I like the show, but I don't think it's the best show on TV by a long shot. More like good filler to catch in between stuff I really care to watch.

Who knew there was so much hate for Guy? His catchphrases can get a little annoying but heseems pretty likeable to me. And that car he cruises in is badass!!
    I agree...

Guy seems pretty damned cool to me...

Why all the hate???
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    DewieCox wrote:

I agree...

Guy seems pretty damned cool to me...

Why all the hate???

he seems like a good guy, but he tries way too hard to always be "on"
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I happen to LOVE this show - And watching Guy - eat all the time, just cracks me up !!!! :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    I think Guy has lost some weight since this photo was taken....

Guy_Fieri.jpg
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalina wrote:
    I happen to LOVE this show - And watching Guy - eat all the time, just cracks me up !!!! :D
    I like the look on his face when he TRULY loves something.....

He was eating some Prime Rib the other night....At some fast food place, of all places....

And you could just tell, that Guy, absolutely LOVED the fucking food!!!!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I like the show and host. Although I don't like watching after 10pm when I shouldn't be eating.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    mikalina wrote:
    I like the look on his face when he TRULY loves something.....

He was eating some Prime Rib the other night....At some fast food place, of all places....

And you could just tell, that Guy, absolutely LOVED the fucking food!!!!

The funny thing is - Guy LOVES everything he eats !!!! I don't think he's ever eaten anything that just
    wasn't absolutly delicious ... :lol:

I think its fixed.... ;)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    used to dig this show but i think it's a fraud show ... 85% of the food you see can be found just about anywhere and is cooked pretty much the same way from one place to another ... just because a town loves a restaurant doesn't necessarily make it worthy of segment ... i have a feeling these restaurants pay to be on the show ...
  • Love the show. Use it when I'm traveling. Actually hit up one of the places in Chicago passing though on the way to Alpine Valley. It was a place I'd never find ordinarily, and the food was killer (sorry, had to do it).

Even went to a place near me, that I've probably passed a thousand times, but never noticed. And, yes - his suggestions were spot on.

Free Advertising!!!!

And Guy is cool. Just like anything, after a while you become a parody of yourself. John Madden is the all time greatest color guy, yet at the end he became that. I think the sunglasses on the back of his head came from an early season where he had "Racoon eyes." They probably decided - we gotta get these episodes done, so we'll have him put his sunglasses on the back of his head to describe the weird sun exposure on his face.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • I prefer Man vs. Food now a days though.

DDD is still a really good show, but I have also been leaning towards Man vs. Food lately. Either way, I usually end up eating something after watching one of these shows.
  • I love the show, but I also get a bit weary of Guy at times. Bad thing is I want to try a lot of that stuff that i'll probably never have the happen to. He does say he likes everything, but I'm guessing there are times when he eats things that he can't stand...but he's not going to go in and rip the food on a show ilke that. The thing that really bugs me most about Guy is that he pronounces his last name FieTTi....it's spelled Fieri...what am I missing?

I also dig man v. food but I think Adam's corny shit gets on my nerves worse than Guy. I mean that dude lays on the silliness a bit thick sometimes.

But Bourdain is the man...I know there's a "cool or tool" thread about him but I think he's a cool guy. Yeah, a bit of an ass perhaps, but he likes to get drunk, likes good food and is indeed a bit of an ass....sounds like he's my brother from another mother
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I also dig man v. food but I think Adam's corny shit gets on my nerves worse than Guy. I mean that dude lays on the silliness a bit thick sometimes.

Adam Richman the host literally gets bigger with every episode! :lol:
  • DS1119 wrote:

Yeah he's gonna look like the Michelin tire man if he keeps going
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i get a stiffy when he is in the south eating BBQ
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • DS1119 wrote:

The thing in though it's been quite a while since I've actually seen him complete a challenge. They could easily find a replacement that could crush him :lol:
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I love the show, but I also get a bit weary of Guy at times. Bad thing is I want to try a lot of that stuff that i'll probably never have the happen to. He does say he likes everything, but I'm guessing there are times when he eats things that he can't stand...but he's not going to go in and rip the food on a show ilke that. The thing that really bugs me most about Guy is that he pronounces his last name FieTTi....it's spelled Fieri...what am I missing?

But Bourdain is the man...I know there's a "cool or tool" thread about him but I think he's a cool guy. Yeah, a bit of an ass perhaps, but he likes to get drunk, likes good food and is indeed a bit of an ass....sounds like he's my brother from another mother

Fieri is Italian and is meant to have a rolled r, but it comes out sorta lazy.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    LOVE this show..watch it alot, especially if there's nothing else on and I have nothing else to do. It always makes me hungry. I also rather enjoy Man vs. Food because you can find out similar things about places to go on that show. Guy sometimes gets on my nerves because he thinks he's funny. He's corny.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The show is cool...but the places he goes to I don't think I would really go visit (the cities, not the actual diner).

He was on one of the radio stations here and they poked fun at him because he looks like one of the DJs:

spike.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4uWLdW52LpmIjbCebyKy-95CpC6yrH6TickbFMCEsy78hWBZC

I heard that he's opening a restaurant out here...that was a few years ago... :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Fieri's genuine enthusiasm for food, and for what he does is great.

I can appreciate anyone's joy over a perfectly cooked, simply prepared steak
    or passion for a basic lobster roll.

He visited a place here in Cincinnati that I worked at as my first job.
    Definitely a dive, with a line out the door every day at lunch for the last 30 years.
    Nice shirt.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    discuss the places in YOUR town. you know, second opinions...

here in Salt Lake:

Blue Plate Diner (breakfast, lunch) - have not been there. the wife has and her french toast was cold. I would have bitched; she didn't. DC would like the high hipster quotient :lol:

Red Iguana (mexican) - have not been there but people concur... it is "killer"

Ruth's Diner - the location is more special than the food. The food is good, just nothing really out of the ordinary.

Pat's BBQ - worthy of Guy's praises :mrgreen:

when I lived in Vegas:

Four Kegs - a total dive, known for their stromboli...which is very good. so is the pizza. they serve beer in those annoying fish bowl glasses. also, since vegas restaurants can still allow smoking, they divided the place with glass walls...if you're on the smoking side, you'll die :lol:

I love this show....it's like the early days of MTV for me....I literally can't turn it off for fear some place really cool is coming up.

I'd like to hear more about some of the SF spots...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16