The National Football League

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    I never felt Buffalo would win in 2nd half, always felt Mahomes would do enough to edge them out

buffalo needs to shake things up 
    they were lucky to even be in it after McDermott’s attempt at trickeration.
    After Hardman fumbled out of the end zone I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Buffalo would win.
    I didn’t think they’d overturn that call. They must have heard from CBS or Roger.
    Looked pretty clear that the ball was moving before he went down.  But it's such a dumb rule....they need to change that one.

6 straight AFC championship games for Mahomes and the Chiefs.  Just crazy.  Chiefs-Ravens is going to be great.
    Yeah great football this year....I really don't know who to pick in either game. I could see the Chiefs taking down the Ravens and Detroit can take out the 49ers.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Ravens and 49ers.

It has been etched in stone for more than a month
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    It was the right call - he fumbled before he was down. And yes, a very peculiar rule - the defense has to recover a fumble to get it back, except in that situation. I like the idea of settling it with one "4th & goal from the 10" play. If you get the "touchdown" you get to keep the ball.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Loss of down and the offensive team gets it at the 20 seems (more) fair.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    MayDay10 said:
    Ravens and 49ers.

It has been etched in stone for more than a month
    lol see my comment on previous page...
  • No conspiracy for people to have guessed that matchup for the last few months. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,617
    MayDay10 said:
    Or it goes back to the spot of the fumble like every other part of the field.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    MayDay10 said:
    I don't like that.  The rule is there for a reason.  I bet there was a loophole or something that was being abused.  

I like a rule that if previous scrimmage was inside the 20 then loss of down, play from that scrimmage line.  If it was outside the 20 then first down from the 20. Something to that effect.  

There is another argument that the game is so tilted toward the offense,  that this is a balance,  even though it's not super common. 
  • MayDay10 said:
    I agree with you.  Can't fumble on purpose to advance. 
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I don't like that.  The rule is there for a reason.  I bet there was a loophole or something that was being abused.  

I like a rule that if previous scrimmage was inside the 20 then loss of down, play from that scrimmage line.  If it was outside the 20 then first down from the 20. Something to that effect.  

There is another argument that the game is so tilted toward the offense,  that this is a balance,  even though it's not super common. 

Why does that tilt it toward the offense?  Dalton Kincaid fumbled the ball on the first possession and knocked it intentionally.  That resulted in a 10-yard penalty and loss of down.  Maybe that's a compromise, although it was intentional.  Hardman wasn't doing anything intentional other than trying to stretch the ball across the plane.  I don't see how a player trying to stretch the ball across the goal line and somehow the ball getting knocked out of bounds in the end zone is tilted toward the offense.  If anything that's tilted toward the defense.  Recover the ball in the end zone before it goes out of bounds or you don't get possession.  Seems fair to me.
    This convo is a good example of why the NFL hasn't changed this rule. LOL
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    No conspiracy for people to have guessed that matchup for the last few months. 
    When they post it on TV on saturday before the games?  PLENTY of fodder for the conspiracists.

I DO NOT want Balt in.  Will be painful for my box numbers.
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Why does that tilt it toward the offense?  Dalton Kincaid fumbled the ball on the first possession and knocked it intentionally.  That resulted in a 10-yard penalty and loss of down.  Maybe that's a compromise, although it was intentional.  Hardman wasn't doing anything intentional other than trying to stretch the ball across the plane.  I don't see how a player trying to stretch the ball across the goal line and somehow the ball getting knocked out of bounds in the end zone is tilted toward the offense.  If anything that's tilted toward the defense.  Recover the ball in the end zone before it goes out of bounds or you don't get possession.  Seems fair to me.
    I'm saying changing the rule to what you suggest helps the offense compared to what the rule is today.  And that the game is already tilted heavily towards O.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,924
    Poncier said:
    Congrats Detroit Lions on becoming America's Team.
    Certainly will be the sentimental darling for fans of the 28 teams no longer playing (well 25 of them for sure, maybe not all Bears. Packer & Viking fans).
    I don’t find the Lions particularly endearing. The endearing teams are all gone.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 22
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I'm saying changing the rule to what you suggest helps the offense compared to what the rule is today.  And that the game is already tilted heavily towards O.

I think it evens the playing field.  If he fumbles that out at the 0.5-yard line, it's 2nd and goal.  If he fumbles it out at the 50-yard line, it's placed on the 50.  This may hit home for you.  If that rule didn't exist, the Browns probably beat the Chiefs in the 2021 divisional (helmet-to-helmet contact aside). 

Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    Certainly will be the sentimental darling for fans of the 28 teams no longer playing (well 25 of them for sure, maybe not all Bears. Packer & Viking fans).
    I don’t find the Lions particularly endearing. The endearing teams are all gone.
    Of course you are a curmudgeon, so you don't count.  =)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I think it evens the playing field.  If he fumbles that out at the 0.5-yard line, it's 2nd and goal.  If he fumbles it out at the 50-yard line, it's placed on the 50.  This may hit home for you.  If that rule didn't exist, the Browns probably beat the Chiefs in the 2021 divisional (helmet-to-helmet contact aside). 

Oh I remember... But shitty luck just comes with the territory.  

My comment about evening it out is not about the specific play, rather the distinct advantage that offenses have in general against the defense.  But I'm not saying it should be a turnover.  But I don't think it should be placed at the spot of the fumble.  That's too generous.  
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I've always contended (though nobody has ever agreed with me on this) that fumbling out of bounds should be a turnover no matter where it happens on the field. It's such a lucky bailout sort of thing to fumble (the worst thing you can do) but be saved by the sideline. It reminds me of being "saved by the bell" in boxing. So getting knocked down in a boxing match is bad, but depending on WHEN you get knocked down, you could get lucky. Same thing with fumbles. It's bad to fumble, but depending on WHERE you fumble, you could get lucky. 

I won a a parlay of all four games this weekend, with the Chiefs +3.5 being the final piece to the puzzle. I almost had a heart-attack when they fumbled through the endzone, and yet I couldn't complain because I endorse the rule. All worked out in the end though. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I've always contended (though nobody has ever agreed with me on this) that fumbling out of bounds should be a turnover no matter where it happens on the field. It's such a lucky bailout sort of thing to fumble (the worst thing you can do) but be saved by the sideline. It reminds me of being "saved by the bell" in boxing. So getting knocked down in a boxing match is bad, but depending on WHEN you get knocked down, you could get lucky. Same thing with fumbles. It's bad to fumble, but depending on WHERE you fumble, you could get lucky. 

I won a a parlay of all four games this weekend, with the Chiefs +3.5 being the final piece to the puzzle. I almost had a heart-attack when they fumbled through the endzone, and yet I couldn't complain because I endorse the rule. All worked out in the end though. 
    For whatever reason it seems to happen quite a bit.  The game would be very different if your rule was in place. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,924
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    my curmudgeonly take on something kinda of related to the “fumble through the endzone” discussion:

I hate the whole “touch the pylon = TD” thing….a dude can be flying through the air, out of bounds, and score a TD. athletic, but dumb. get part of your body in the end zone.

while you’re at it, get off my lawn.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    Poncier said:
    my curmudgeonly take on something kinda of related to the “fumble through the endzone” discussion:

I hate the whole “touch the pylon = TD” thing….a dude can be flying through the air, out of bounds, and score a TD. athletic, but dumb. get part of your body in the end zone.

while you’re at it, get off my lawn.

ball......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Flying through the air and touching the pylon with the football is just the best. 

• Agree, I love it when they do that
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    MayDay10 said:
    I think the same.

It makes no sense to me that it's a different rule for where the fumble takes place.
    Since I'm on a soapbox, I believe all facemask and horsecollar penalties should be reviewable.  Now get the hell off of my lawn.
  • I think fans should be able to vote on announcers and see them removed from a game.  Some of these people (looking at you Greg Olsen) can ruin the viewing experience with their dumb takes and incessant blather. 
    I think fans should be able to vote on announcers and see them removed from a game.  Some of these people (looking at you Greg Olsen) can ruin the viewing experience with their dumb takes and incessant blather. 
    My vote is for Troy Aikman, especially when he is calling a Dallas game.
  • I think fans should be able to vote on announcers and see them removed from a game.  Some of these people (looking at you Greg Olsen) can ruin the viewing experience with their dumb takes and incessant blather. 
    My vote is for Troy Aikman, especially when he is calling a Dallas game.
    It should be voted on during the game and then the announcer is ejected from the booth
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    Harbaugh to Chargers. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,784
    Romo

his faces are ridiculous, his voice makes me dumber