Utah school says no to Cougar nickname....deem it offensive

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 02778.html

Students at a new Utah high school are facing disappointment after their choice for a new school mascot was rejected for one of the strangest reasons possible: Board members deemed it might be seen as offensive to middle-aged women.

As reported by Salt Lake City Fox affiliate KTSU, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon High announced its new mascot and school colors on Wednesday, with Canyons School District officials proclaiming that the school's teams will be called the Chargers, using a blue and white color scheme.

That's all fine and good except for the fact that the school's future student body -- which was given the opportunity to select its own future mascot -- had chosen to be the Cougars. With some 23 percent of the student vote, the Cougar choice was far preferred to other options, which included the Chargers, Diamondbacks, Falcons, Raptors, Broncos, Bears and Cavaliers.

The reason why the future student body gravitated toward Cougars is pretty clear: Area collegiate power BYU uses the Cougar as its mascot and enjoys an enormous fan base of area residents and those who follow the Mormon faith (BYU is a Mormon institution).

Still, the Canyons School Board refused to accept the Cougar as a mascot out of fear that it might offend older women. In the current edition of the Webster Dictionary, the second definition for cougar sights a slang terminology that refers to "a middle-aged woman seeking a romantic relationship with a younger man."

To say that the board's reaction to having a school play as the Cougars was a bit over the top is certainly an understatement, particularly when one considers the fact that BYU and a host of other high schools in Utah use the Cougar as their mascot. By pulling the right to pick their own mascot away, the school board turned what appeared to be a nice nod toward student self determination into a first overbearing act of a new administration that doesn't even exist yet. Appoint Dean Wormer as principal and the student rebellion will be ready to go by the first day of school.

More significantly, why would the board even offer "Cougars" as a potential mascot choice if it wasn't prepared to accept it? That lack of logic is positively baffling. Surely everyone could have saved themselves a lot of face if they simply had not allowed prospective students to choose to be the Cougars in the first place.

Of course, there's still plenty of time for the Canyons School Board to re-consider and give the students back their Cougars. Corner Canyon isn't scheduled to open until fall 2013, so the initial announcement of school colors and mascot was seen as a way to get positive attention for a project that remains on schedule.

Needless to say, it doesn't seem to have quite worked out that way.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    so let me get this straight - cougars are mormons? interesting.....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    where is dcutah when ya need eem?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I was a cougar in high school. :)
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    People are idiots.

There was a school near my town that changed their name from Plainville Middle School to Middle School of Plainville just so people don't have to See the initials PMS. Some people have too much time on their hands.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    chadwick wrote:
    where is dcutah when ya need eem?

I'm here but I can add nothing. This is stupid. People are way too sensitive. Just cause the term "cougar" in that context exists doesn't mean you are one if you're a middle aged woman. Also, these are middle aged women... would they really get offended by something like this?

Also, let us not forget that the BYU's mascot is a cougar. But of course, because that was established so long ago when "cougar" didn't mean what it does today, it's okay.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The pussification of America continues! We are all turning into the United States of Pussies. Everyone is affected and offended by everything. Who gives a flying fuck if it offends middle aged women? I wouldn't have a problem if they called them the slightly chubby, bald and 40 something dudes. Is there a name for us? Christ, being a cougar should be a badge of honor.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Sooooooo just so I am following its ok to have teams named REDSKINS-CHIEFS-INDIANS-BRAVES and mock a whole culture of people

But people are upset with using a name of an animal that became a slang term ?

:roll:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Sooooooo just so I am following its ok to have teams named REDSKINS-CHIEFS-INDIANS-BRAVES and mock a whole culture of people

What the hell are you talking about?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq88CpBSImkFaQXRI1HJF5y7_kDanNfJmCOZN8htZD77LehU4L3w
    People are idiots.

There was a school near my town that changed their name from Plainville Middle School to Middle School of Plainville just so people don't have to See the initials PMS. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Yeah they do... and some people need to get a life and not get bent about shit that is obviously not intended to offend.

It pisses me off that for fear of middle aged women getting offended, they totally block the decision that the student body made.

Because the high school is in Draper (closer to BYU and home to a lot more of the school's supporters from the state) I would make the assumption that, like the article says, they are most likely paying a tribute to the school they support, follow, and most likely want to attend after high school.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I just realized my avatar might be deemed offensive to white astronauts that play ice hockey.

:think:

Best point to raise to this board that made this decision. I seriously can't behind their reasoning.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

don't forget it's also cool for hunters to shoot cougars. oneday that cat won't be around. women and men in their 40's will get scared a cougar is prowling their precious streets. shoot the beast. name our team the cougars.

idiots.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I hope in a few years that "Chargers" becomes slang for a Canyons School Board of Director that takes it in the ass. To each his/her own. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just an example. I hope I didn't offend any one.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Realistically, it's not a stretch to think that the kids voted for the nickname Cougars because it would be funny. I wonder if they would have vetoed Beavers as well?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    ah gahd.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    cougars-cougar-life.jpg
    Unless this is their mascot, I'm not sure why middle-aged women would be offended :D
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
    Is it too much to ask for the people of Utah to pull their heads out of their asses and stop giving people a reason to isolate our state even further?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Uhhh... Isn't Brigham Young University sport teams known as The Cougars? :? :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Uhhh... Isn't Brigham Young University sport teams known as The Cougars? :? :lol:

Yes. This argument has no backbone.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    They should change the name of the mascot to moose knuckle
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    south-carolina-cheerleaders.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I was a "Beaver" and a "Trojan" growing up...both were changed for the same reason.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was a golden bear and then a rocket....

both could be taken out of context :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    jimed14 wrote:
    south-carolina-cheerleaders.jpg

well played! :lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    ah gahd.

That was my exact reaction to this.

This society is turning into the biggest bunch of pussies. Seriously, is there anything that someone doesn't take offense to these days??? People have become so fucking uptight...it's ridiculous.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    81 wrote:

I was a Red Devil, then a Boilermaker. Satan and booze. Not hookers and blow, but pretty close.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    81 wrote:

I was a Red Devil, then a Boilermaker. Satan and booze. Not hookers and blow, but pretty close.

:lol:

and now you are a beaver
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    There is a solution to this mascot problem.

"Pit Pat: the magical, pan-sexual, non-threatening spokesthing!"

pit-pat-mister-show.jpeg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    81 wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol:

and now you are a beaver

...anticipating the match-up with South Carolina.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    81 wrote:
    and now you are a beaver

...anticipating the match-up with South Carolina.

:lol::lol::lol:

welll done
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg