College Majors That Are Useless

2»

Comments

• A lot of people would probably say my major is useless...I was a Recreation, Parks & Tourism major, but emphasised in event planning and facilities management. And that's exactly the career that I have. I did have all the jocks (mostly football players) in most of my classes, several of whom have gone on to the NFL. I'll admit, when I went into it (prior to that, I was a business major, then psych) I was really just looking for an easy, slack major, but I've actually applied it to my career.

Why would anyone say that is useless? There's boatloads of money in tourism.

I majored in actuarial science, which was also useful.
    Well, it was just pathetically easy, so I guess I jumped the gun a little bit. I mean, come on, ;)recreation??
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    Any shmo can graduate high school. College takes some effort. It shows commitment.
    I think this could be easily argued... :)
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    DeLukin wrote:
    Marketing.

Marketing will never die. Selling is what this country is about, sadly.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    College takes some effort. It shows commitment.

Are you 100% positive about that?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I was a theatre major. Yeah, opened a lot of doors - ha ha. However, I was a girl from a very small town and going away to college and getting a liberal arts education at a big university was great for me. I fell in love with history, took an opera class and learned to like opera (really), got exposed to all different kinds of people so it was a good thing.

(I have a graduate degree in film - that's a different story, I wouldn't recommend that.)
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I majored in Theatre...everyone laughed at me, and they still do...but it was what I loved. I suppose if I had it to do over again I would have majored in English and minored in Theatre.
    The thing is, most people in my generation have a college degree, so I think the overall value of having one is going down. The only advantage to having one that I can see at this point is that many companies require you to have a B.A., doesn't necessarily matter in what subject.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    edited January 2012
    iamica wrote:
    The only advantage to having one that I can see at this point is that many companies require you to have a B.A., doesn't necessarily matter in what subject.

That's exactly my point. The american public was sold on getting a college education while tuition rates went through the roof, and what does it result in? Us not making anymore on average than the "noncollege educated" generation before us. It also gave us a sense of entitlement that somewhow manual labor/manufacturing jobs are somehow below the college educated. So where are those jobs now...overseas. At least it gives us college educated something to discuss and bitch about. I saw a job for a "merchandiser" for a local beverage/snack company. In the ad it stated college degree required. Do you know what a merchandiser does? They are the people that make sure the shelves at your grocery store are stocked with the proper numbers of their products and then actually stock the shelves. Did that person need four years of college to be able to do that job? You mean they couldn't take a two week training seminar and be as effective? Colleges and universities have become extremely big business in this country by this idea we "need" a college education to be successful.
    Post edited by DS1119 on
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I have a friend with a B.S. in Entomology. His job offers were from Pest Control companies. No shit. He's in a totally different field now, go figure.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I could have skipped undergrad completely. Didn't learn a damn thing there that really helps in my career. Everything I needed to learn I learned in grad school and post grad classes and internships. Art history and theatre and environmental science were completely unnecessary. But college was a hell of a lot of fun :lol: I learned some....erm...very necessary life skills there :shifty:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • I could have skipped undergrad completely. Didn't learn a damn thing there that really helps in my career. Everything I needed to learn I learned in grad school and post grad classes and internships. Art history and theatre and environmental science were completely unnecessary. But college was a hell of a lot of fun :lol: I learned some....erm...very necessary life skills there :shifty:
    Hello Sweetcheeks!!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I could have skipped undergrad completely. Didn't learn a damn thing there that really helps in my career. Everything I needed to learn I learned in grad school and post grad classes and internships. Art history and theatre and environmental science were completely unnecessary. But college was a hell of a lot of fun :lol: I learned some....erm...very necessary life skills there :shifty:
    Hello Sweetcheeks!!!!!!!!!
    Hiya hotstuff! :wave:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"