Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The top five:

1) Agriculture
2) Fashion Design
3) Theater
4) Animal Sciences
5) Horticulture

I'm guessing Journalism is on the decline as well.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_useless_degrees.htm?kid=1KWNU
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    I have a B.A. in Art History and a B.S. in Anthropology (and I'm a paper away from having my Master's degree in Applied Anthropology)...given my experiences, they can be added to this list as well :)
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    gf has one of those...

she works in purchasing. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Jason P wrote:
    The top five:

I'm guessing Journalism is on the decline as well.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_useless_degrees.htm?kid=1KWNU

I would have to disagree with that. Newspapers are stronger than people think, the internet has tons of news and writers that would otherwise not be employed and there has been a huge focus on hyper-local news. Plus there are many other avenues a journalist can explore.

I'm not saying I make a ton of money as a journalist or that I'll ever be able to retire, but it's just not as bad as you think. ;)
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Marketing.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • A lot of them are useless.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My daughter's friend is getting a degree in English. Plain old English. Why?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:

I got a degree (double) in English Lit and Language.
    Why? Because it was what held my interest and stood a chance against booze and drugs. (A delicate balance throughout college! :D )

I never had any intention to teach but originally thought I would go to law school and it was as good a path as any...turned out that I was so sick of school by my junior year that I never even applied for grad school.
    Got into Sales after graduating, then Operations Management for a number of years before becoming a Director. I have held Director level positions 2 times and now am back in Sales (more money) and I apply some of the things that I learned on a daily basis.

Learning to think critically and apply environmental influences (especially when they are not your own) was the biggest skill I formed during college. I think that most liberal arts degrees focus on teaching this and I am happy to say I am much more successful nearly 20 years into my career than many of my Business School (MBA, etc) friends.

I will say that if I had it all to do over again I would become a doctor. A number of my friends did and they are living high currently!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    major.jpg
  • Mcam55 wrote:
    major.jpg

:lol:

In fairness, his major is 'Basketball.'
  • Communications
    Humanities
    Liberal Arts
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    edited January 2012
    Double post. Something's wrong with my laptop. :evil:
    Post edited by Who Princess on
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    JaneNY wrote:

I got a degree (double) in English Lit and Language.
    Why? Because it was what held my interest and stood a chance against booze and drugs. (A delicate balance throughout college! :D )

I never had any intention to teach but originally thought I would go to law school and it was as good a path as any...turned out that I was so sick of school by my junior year that I never even applied for grad school.
    Got into Sales after graduating, then Operations Management for a number of years before becoming a Director. I have held Director level positions 2 times and now am back in Sales (more money) and I apply some of the things that I learned on a daily basis.

Learning to think critically and apply environmental influences (especially when they are not your own) was the biggest skill I formed during college. I think that most liberal arts degrees focus on teaching this and I am happy to say I am much more successful nearly 20 years into my career than many of my Business School (MBA, etc) friends.

I will say that if I had it all to do over again I would become a doctor. A number of my friends did and they are living high currently!
    I got both a BA and MA in English. I majored in the subject I enjoyed most. I figured if I spent the rest of my life doing things I didn't care about I might as well do something satisfying.

Never regretted it and it's never kept me from finding employment that I enjoyed. It's kind of amusing how much it impresses people. They seem to think that if you got a degree in the subject most people dread, you must be really, really smart. :think: :wink:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    Mcam55 wrote:
    major.jpg

There's still many uncharted areas around the globe!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    smoking cigarettes
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Mcam55 wrote:
    major.jpg

There's still many uncharted areas around the globe!
    :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I've known a few people who majored in "Dance", and none of them went on to do anything dance related. In fact I'm not sure any of them went on to have careers, just become stay at home mothers. One of my friends mothers majored in dance in college, and she flat out said that she just went to college to "find a husband".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • A lot of people would probably say my major is useless...I was a Recreation, Parks & Tourism major, but emphasised in event planning and facilities management. And that's exactly the career that I have. I did have all the jocks (mostly football players) in most of my classes, several of whom have gone on to the NFL. I'll admit, when I went into it (prior to that, I was a business major, then psych) I was really just looking for an easy, slack major, but I've actually applied it to my career.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Most college majors are useless. College is effective in getting students to use and excercise their minds, but actually learning things to apply to a career in the real world...I don't believe so. For one example, how many business majors are there in the workforce who just shuffle papers back and forth each day? It's essential to the "machine" but was college necessary? Not at all. College has become big business in this country and just one more thing for people to aspire to obtain...take out ridiculous loans for..and then feel satisfied when obtained. I would say conservatively 80% of people in this country who have a four year degrees do not need the degree for the position they are currently holding. Think about it. You get hired by a company, they give you orientation, give you a mentor for a week or two, make you watch a video, and throw you in to do the job. Did you need a four year degree and 150K in tuition for that? :lol:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    DS1119 wrote:
    Most college majors are useless. College is effective in getting students to use and excercise their minds, but actually learning things to apply to a career in the real world...I don't believe so. For one example, how many business majors are there in the workforce who just shuffle papers back and forth each day? It's essential to the "machine" but was college necessary? Not at all. College has become big business in this country and just one more thing for people to aspire to obtain...take out ridiculous loans for..and then feel satisfied when obtained. I would say conservatively 80% of people in this country who have a four year degrees do not need the degree for the position they are currently holding. Think about it. You get hired by a company, they give you orientation, give you a mentor for a week or two, make you watch a video, and throw you in to do the job. Did you need a four year degree and 150K in tuition for that? :lol:
    :thumbup: exactly why i never went to college :? :lol:
    conman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    :thumbup: exactly why i never went to college :? :lol:

I just re-read my post...not bad for a guy who has a serious alcohol buzz tonight and never had a grilled cheese sandwich! :lol:
  • I personally feel that news article is absolute BS except for the theatre major :lol: I disagree with the ag major being a waste. I've got a friend that just stepped into a great job straight out of college with an ag major. He had 3 or 4 companies recruting him and said his company is booming and adding several thousand jobs in the next year.
    I personally feel that news article is absolute BS except for the theatre major :lol: I disagree with the ag major being a waste. I've got a friend that just stepped into a great job straight out of college with an ag major. He had 3 or 4 companies recruting him and said his company is booming and adding several thousand jobs in the next year.

The question is though...could he do the job without the AG major? Put yourself at his desk...can that job be done by someone without an AG major? Can you do his job? Most positions in this country that "require" a degree can be done without the degree. It's just all part of the machine IMO.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I personally feel that news article is absolute BS except for the theatre major :lol: I disagree with the ag major being a waste. I've got a friend that just stepped into a great job straight out of college with an ag major. He had 3 or 4 companies recruting him and said his company is booming and adding several thousand jobs in the next year.

The question is though...could he do the job without the AG major? Put yourself at his desk...can that job be done by someone without an AG major? Can you do his job? Most positions in this country that "require" a degree can be done without the degree. It's just all part of the machine IMO.

Understand your points and think they are valid -- even though I went to college and believe I learned a tremendous amount about myself and developed a critical way of thinking/evaluating information, my boss did not go to college and as much as I make he certainly makes money off from every dollar I make! [I am sure we all know plenty of people who are happy with where they are that both DID and DID NOT go to college.]

Shit sure is expensive these days, where I went is now 55k per year. (I paid 20k in loans after 4 years...rest was grants, scholarships, etc...)
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Psychology seems pretty useless unless you get a Master's Degree. The Psych Major I know from college is selling coffee. I wonder how that relates to the ID/Super ID???
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    So far, going to college has done nothing for me but get me further in debt. I appreciate some of the classes I took and people I met (especially considering I met my boyfriend, Joey, in grad school), but as far as getting me a job that I couldn't have had without it...not so much. Maybe my opinion will change one day, but right now, I'm so disillusioned with the education I've gotten.

Will Hunting (Matt Damon) said it best..."You blew $150,000 dollars on an education that you could have gotten in $1.50 in late fees from the library."
  • DS1119 wrote:

I don't know the ins and outs of his job, but I'd imagine he wouldn't have gotten the job without the major and his previous experiences. I think a lot of it comes down to having the degree on the application, whether it ends up being useful or not. I don't think somone with a degree in psychology would get the job he did.
  • CServant wrote:
    Psychology seems pretty useless unless you get a Master's Degree. The Psych Major I know from college is selling coffee. I wonder how that relates to the ID/Super ID???

My brother is taking night courses (and has been for a while) to get his Psych degree....he is a case manager (social worker) and needs to have an applicable degree or he is at risk in his position (which he has held for years.) So the degree will not help him do his job better necessarily but it will help him keep his job.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If I were an employer, I would look at resumes with a college education over those with none.

It just shows ambition. College is not a life requirement, but high school is unless you are a high school dropout.

Any shmo can graduate high school. College takes some effort. It shows commitment.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    I've known a few people who majored in "Dance", and none of them went on to do anything dance related. In fact I'm not sure any of them went on to have careers, just become stay at home mothers. One of my friends mothers majored in dance in college, and she flat out said that she just went to college to "find a husband".

I was dating a girl in college who was a dance major.
    She's some kind of yoga instructor now. :D
  • A lot of people would probably say my major is useless...I was a Recreation, Parks & Tourism major, but emphasised in event planning and facilities management. And that's exactly the career that I have. I did have all the jocks (mostly football players) in most of my classes, several of whom have gone on to the NFL. I'll admit, when I went into it (prior to that, I was a business major, then psych) I was really just looking for an easy, slack major, but I've actually applied it to my career.

Why would anyone say that is useless? There's boatloads of money in tourism.

I majored in actuarial science, which was also useful.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16