2013 Winter Classic WINGS vs. LEAFS @ the BIG HOUSE

2»

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Has anyone ever gotten tickets to a winter classic? Do they go onsale to the public or do you have to know someone with clout?
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I might as well come out of my several month posting hiatus to say that I might be more excited for the alumni game than the actual game. I hope Yzerman, Shanahan, and Fedorov all lace them up.

Yes that would be nice...someone I would have loved to see would be Bob Probert (RIP), unfortunately that will not happen. Hopefully Kocur plays and Domi plays.

Well Tie Domi might play, but for sure his son Max Domi will play for the London Knights(if healthy) against Plymouth Whalers at Comerica.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P wrote:
    Has anyone ever gotten tickets to a winter classic? Do they go onsale to the public or do you have to know someone with clout?

If you want tickets for this one I'm sure you'll have no problem getting, 100 000 + tickets will be on sale. I imagine season ticket holders will get 1st shot then they'll go on sale to the general public.

When the NHL approached Brian Burke about a spot in the 2013 Winter Classic, the invitation came with a stipulation.

"Can you sell 40,000 tickets?" league officials inquired.

"Give me 48 hours," the Toronto Maple Leafs' general manager replied with confidence.

They upped the ante — knowing the record-setting environment Michigan Stadium would provide for a possible Original Six match-up between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings.

"Can you sell 50,000?" they asked.

Again, Burke responded without hesitation.

"Give me 72 hours," he said.

So I'm guessing by that statement the leafs will be allotted 50 000 tickets to sell. It would not surprise me in the least if the stadium was split 50-50 or they even outnumbered the wing fans.

One thing you can always say about leaf fans is they are loyal.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    I'm just guessing here, but I imagine area hotels in Detroit and Windsor will probably be offering packages that probably include new years eve party/tickets/transportation. At least if I was in the hotel business I would be putting something together.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Tickets will be offered to Red Wings and Leafs Season Ticket holders first. Then probably Michigan Wolverines STH... possibly alumni and students. The NHL will get an allottment of a few K.
    Then a public sale.
    With the Sabres/Penguins, I was able to land a pair with my STs and then the public sale, but it sold out in seconds.

With that said, my gut tells me to go to this. Im almost all in. What say you guys? 10c Winter Classic Tailgate sounds right to me.
    kenshunt wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I might as well come out of my several month posting hiatus to say that I might be more excited for the alumni game than the actual game. I hope Yzerman, Shanahan, and Fedorov all lace them up.

Yes that would be nice...someone I would have loved to see would be Bob Probert (RIP), unfortunately that will not happen. Hopefully Kocur plays and Domi plays.

Well Tie Domi might play, but for sure his son Max Domi will play for the London Knights(if healthy) against Plymouth Whalers at Comerica.

Oh for sure his son will be playing and London might be Memorial Cup Champions...so it's a real good opportunity to see great hockey. I love junior hockey games...

MayDay10 wrote:
    Tickets will be offered to Red Wings and Leafs Season Ticket holders first. Then probably Michigan Wolverines STH... possibly alumni and students. The NHL will get an allottment of a few K.
    Then a public sale.
    With the Sabres/Penguins, I was able to land a pair with my STs and then the public sale, but it sold out in seconds.

With that said, my gut tells me to go to this. Im almost all in. What say you guys? 10c Winter Classic Tailgate sounds right to me.

I doubt they will setting any aside for Michigan student and Alumni...the NHL is paying U of M 3 million or something like that to rent the stadium for 6 weeks. I say ticket sales will be left up to the Leafs and Wings.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    MayDay10 wrote:

if it was any other time of the year - i'd be down for this! ... i actually think that the game will be hard to watch and it's gonna be damm cold but the energy in the stadium to be amazing ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    with 100,000+ tickets....i'm guessing you will be able to find one....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    polaris_x wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

if it was any other time of the year - i'd be down for this! ... i actually think that the game will be hard to watch and it's gonna be damm cold but the energy in the stadium to be amazing ...

A football stadium winter classic is better than baseball IMO. I was pleasantly surprised by the sightlines in Buffalo. I dont know really how Michigan is laid out though and how far back the seats are from the field.

Youre right though, the atmosphere and the experience of this is going to be a once in a lifetime thing. This is the first Winter Classic I have been excited about since the one in Buffalo.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    A football stadium winter classic is better than baseball IMO. I was pleasantly surprised by the sightlines in Buffalo. I dont know really how Michigan is laid out though and how far back the seats are from the field.

Youre right though, the atmosphere and the experience of this is going to be a once in a lifetime thing. This is the first Winter Classic I have been excited about since the one in Buffalo.

michigan is an old school stadium...not a ton of space between the sideline and the seats....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Well, they were able to sell out a college hockey game with 114,000 people attending. Throw in a few million Leafs / Wings fans and I'm not so optimistic.
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Well, they were able to sell out a college hockey game with 114,000 people attending. Throw in a few million Leafs / Wings fans and I'm not so optimistic.

I think if you get them as soon as they come on sale you'll be ok. If I was coming from out of town I'd be looking for a hotel/transportation/ticket package...parking for that game will be a mad house.

polaris_x wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I'm on the fence with this game. It would be cool to be there. I want to see what packages are offered, I'm really interested in the OHL games as well. The energy will just be amazing as you stated and I expect the leaf fans to be at least half the crowd.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:

they are talking about a lottery system as they anticipate high demand ...
    All right, time to have some fun w/ the alumni rosters. I don’t speak Canadian, so I’m only going to attempt the Wing’s roster. 8-)

Basing it on who can still skate and not the best all time ... and Yzerman has announced he will not play … :(

1st Off. Line
    F – Sergie Fedorov
    F – Stevie Y (still have 11 months to convince him ;) )
    F – Gordie Howe (my rules above do not apply to Mr. Hockey :ugeek: )

2nd Off. Line
    F – Igor Larionov
    F – Brendon Shanahan
    F – Brett Hull

3rd Off. Line
    F – Keith Primeau
    F – Shawn Burr
    F – Kirk Maltby / Joe Kocur (trade back between 3 & 4 lines)

4th Off. Line
    F – Kris Draper
    F – Darren McCarty
    F – Kirk Maltby / Joe Kocur

1st Def. Line
    D – Chris Chelios
    D – Mark Howe (it would be cool to see the son of Mr. Hockey start the game w/ him)

2nd Def Line
    D – Larry Murphy and his Travolta-esk head
    D – Paul Coffey

3rd Def Line
    D – Bob Rouse
    D – Brian Rafalski

Goal
    1 – Chris Osgood
    2 – Dom Hasek

Coach
    Scotty Bowman
  • I expect tickets to the big game will be pretty hard to get. Metro Detroit has over 4 million people, and people are going to come in droves from southern Ontario (border crossing is going to be hell). If I get priced out, I'll just tailgate in Ann Arbor and pick a bar to watch at. I'm definitely going to try and attend everything at Comerica. At least one GLI game, hopefully both OHL games, the AHL game, and the Alumni game. The college and OHL games should be priced super cheap with so many tickets to sell.

For the Alumni game, the Red Wings actually have an active alumni team composed of guys who still live in the area. They play several games for charity every year. http://www.redwingalumni.com/roster.html Kocur, Ciccarelli, and Larionov are all on there. Plus, I expect guys like Chelios, Osgood, Draper, and Mark Howe to be added. I really want to take my uncle to that. He was a fan all through the 70s and 80s and really helped me get into hockey growing up.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    it might be hard to get a ticket from the NHL...but it will be easy to get a ticket on stub or the bay
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I also hope that this gives Lidstrom some extra motivation to play one more year. I guess he told the Swedish media over the All-Star break that he is up for it. Him and Teemu Selanne are freaks of nature. They should both play until they're Chelios old.
  • 81 wrote:
    it might be hard to get a ticket from the NHL...but it will be easy to get a ticket on stub or the bay

Yeah, but Leafs fans are willing to pay a couple hundred to see a regular game at ACC. It wouldn't be financially responsible for me to try and outbid them for this.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Jason P wrote:
    D – Chris Chelios

Ed sighting at the Winter Classic?
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    D – Chris Chelios

Ed sighting at the Winter Classic?
    I say ... fucking a yes!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeutB3VtNci0-zKb8qAtF9FDxZJNY4CIeseiDeDjw0OTxYx1fL
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I don't understand the appeal to this... How will you see the puck from so far away? :?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    FrankieG wrote:
    I don't understand the appeal to this... How will you see the puck from so far away? :?
    With lots of beer. :)
  • AndyVanSlykeAndyVanSlyke Posts: 183
    81 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

michigan is an old school stadium...not a ton of space between the sideline and the seats....

I always thought that Flyers/Penguins should play at Beaver Stadium. Apparently Paterno was always against anything non-football related being held in Beaver Stadium (concerts, etc).

Now that Paterno is as credible as canned spray cheese, it should be possible...
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

I always thought that Flyers/Penguins should play at Beaver Stadium. Apparently Paterno was always against anything non-football related being held in Beaver Stadium (concerts, etc).

Now that Paterno is as credible as canned spray cheese, it should be possible...

I have met Andy VanSlyke a few times and I know his family. Are you THE Andy VanSlyke?

:corn: