Options

The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited January 2018

Good Morning Loungers...bit of Eddie Vedder :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTE4lzeBUNI

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    i_lov_it said:
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:
    We were listening quite often to Loreena McKennitt's "The Book of secrets" sitting around the campfire in the late 90s.
    Brings up a lot of memories.
    She has such a great voice and her songs are beautiful, so emotional and mystical. I remember that I was a little disappointed when I learned she was from Canada. lol  (We were into all that celtic stuff for a while back then.
    Even that we usually listened to really different music, at a campfire it was just perfect! 
    I think the original version of Dantes Prayer was one of my brother's and also my best friends wedding song. 
     :) Her music for me is good winter Music.  I like to sit by my wood stove with a stiff drink and just indulge once in a while.
    In 1999, I had never heard of her, until one day,
    I was driving from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon where I got a job guiding Mule rides.  (Yes I guided mule rides at the Grand Canyon the summer of 99, quite awesome to ride down & up it every day and get payed for it.) 
    So in my beat up pickup truck that I had at the time,  I went out to Salt Lake City, & went South of course.  On a Salt Lake radio station, I cought this song of hers that blew my mind combined with Utah's beauty.  It was one of those magical mystical experiences.  At the end of the song they did not say who it was.  An obscure song on an obscure radio station in Salt Lake City I thought I'd never hear the song again or figure out who the heck it was, but two or three years later I heard it on a Chicago 93xrt radio station and they said who it was and I pulled over so I could write it down elated as hell because now I could buy & collect her stuff.  ;)
    9 years later I got to see her in person in Madison Wisconsin.
    Mummers Dance enjoy!!
    https://youtu.be/qxTpvA-pUG0
    That's my wood stove and those 2 freaky weird portraits above were painted by my late great-great-aunt.  Very German she she was.

What your Great Great Aunt was German?...nice Paintings by the way...so how old are these Paintings?...they're wonderful...my Grandmother was born in Germany in the North and so was my Dad...he came to Australia when he was just a small Kid...so I suppose that makes me half German lol...so where abouts does your Family come from?
    My grandparents were born and raised in Chicago.  My grandma's mom & dad & aunt we're from southern Germany, I don't know what town.  My great great aunt passed away peacefully in 1994 she was 100.  She painted these when she was in her 20s in Germany.  So paintings one says 19 on it the other one says 22.
    So almost 100 years old.
    kce8 said they look Baverian.  I'm not familiar with that, so I say ok cool.
    My grandpa's parants were from Ireland.

Hey RYME how have you been?...Hope you had a Great Weekend too?...That is so cool that they're nearly 100 years old you must be so proud of them despite being Freaky looking as you mentioned lol...and I like them and also they're doing well too but yeah nice Paintings it would be cool if you could find out more of the History behind them...

Hey I have Family that Lives in Chicago too on my Dad's side his Cousin lives there when I get over to the US again I'm going to visit them and I've seen how cold Chicago is lately lol...but I see that your in Wisconsin...and I really want to visit Chicago too...hey your Great Great Aunt lived a long life...ok so she did those Paintings when she was quite young and by the looks of it talented too :)

So yeah speaking of my Dad's German side of the Family they come from up the North near the Danish border I'll ask him...and get the Name of the place... they migrated to Australia to Adelaide which is in South Australia alot of Germans migrated to that area so you'll find alot of German influence in those areas there's also German towns too...so you mentioned Bourbon before is that what you like to drink anything else?...I'm more of a Whiskey drinker and I also like Beer maybe it's the German in me plus being an Australian too...you need to try Vegemite haha ;)

Have you ever been to Europe maybe see where your ancestors are coming from? :)

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018
    It's interesting, my great-great aunt's name was Adelaide.
    So you are Australian correct?  You live in Australia?
    Yep those are two one of a kind paintings on canvas never made any reprints of them.  I will try to find out more about her history.
    My wife is from Lithuania so I visited there every other year since 2006 but that's the only European country I've been to, we always go there to see her mom and dad cousins and Friends.
    I like beer I like pretty much any beer I've tried. My favorite beer is called Svtruys made in Klaipeda Lithuanian.  
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Švyturys
    Lithuanian is pronounced Lietuva.
    Lithuanian for beer is Alous.
    I like Maker's Mark which is a Kentucky bourbon, the first gulp is a little rough, after that it gets real smooth :)
    I also like good old Irish (Jameson) Whiskey.  Not all at the same time of course.
    Since I posted those paintings I've met a few neet people on here, and it's made for some good conversation.
    kce8 was very interested in hearing about them and now you are too.
    Well what song should I play today??
    Here's one that I got most of You have never heard before, called Best Friends of Mine by Waylon Jennings

https://youtu.be/2TSHsjuP1nE
    Here's another good one by Waylon Jennings called a going down Rockin
    I'll bet you haven't heard this one either but it's pretty good give it a try give it a spin.

https://youtu.be/gxWSoiIQAqw
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    Yep those are two one of a kind paintings on canvas never made any reprints of them.  I will try to find out more about her history.
    My wife is from Lithuania so I visited there every other year since 2006 but that's the only European country I've been to, we always go there to see her mom and dad cousins and Friends.
    I like beer I like pretty much any beer I've tried. My favorite beer is called Svtruys made in Klaipeda Lithuanian.  
    I like Maker's Mark which is a Kentucky bourbon, the first gulp is a little rough, after that it gets real smooth :)
    I also like good old Irish (Jameson) Whiskey.  Not all at the same time of course.
    Since I posted those paintings I've met a few neet people on here, and it's made for some good conversation.
    Here's one that I got most of You have never heard before, called Best Friends of Mine by Waylon Jennings

I'll bet you haven't heard this one either but it's pretty good give it a try give it a spin.

Hey that is so cool that your Great Great Aunt's name was Adelaide that's a nice name...my Dad grew up in Adelaide alot of Germans migrated there I have no idea why...

Yeah that's right I'm Australian from way out West from Perth in Western Australia nice to meet you RYME hehe ;)...yes definitely try and find out more of the History of the Paintings I like Art and your Great Great Aunt was talented they're Good Paintings...see if you could take some Photos to see them closer?...it will be good to have a closer look at them I would really like that :)

Your Wife is from Lithuania?...hey that is so nice which part of Lithuania?... and how Wonderful that you get to visit Lithuania every year that sounds really cool :smiley:..I so want to get back to Europe I've been to Europe once before and that was too Germany for a Holiday I also crossed the Border and visited Prague such a Nice City that is I want to go back there...they have some nice Beers cheap too ;) haha...so yeah that's as close to Lithuania as I've been...if you like Beer Australia has some nice Beers and I looked up that Link so Lithuania's second oldest Brewery then?...I've never tried that Beer but I would really like too...so Lithuanian Beer any good?...and let me guess from those Parts strong too right? :smiley: hehe...and you can see how Lietuva is similar to the English Translation that's if I'm pronouncing it properly lol... so Alous is the Lithuanian word for Beer then?...ok I'll remember that then hehe...ok yeah I know Maker's Mark but I've never tried it though

Oh yeah have you tried Vegemite before or know of it? ;)

Thanks for posting these clips I'm going to go listen too them now...Good choices by the way :)

• Options
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:
    kcshe - that's me! :lol:  sounds funny hedo ;)

And yep, I'm a German one ;) 
    Thank you hedonist for the Talking Heads reminder, made me jump on YT and watch a couple of the videos... I really enjoy that! 
    I also stumbled over the next one. Sadly I missed this show in Cologne. Love the sound and energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1LRSU6HOmQ

RYME, so nice to hear that you are visiting Europe regularly! I never was in Lithuania before, but I know that your wife was born in a beautiful country. I looked Palanga up and found out that it's not too far away from where my granddad was born in 1911 in East Prussia. :)
    So since maybe 15 years my dad tries to find out more about his family tree but everything got lost during the war there. My parents even tried to find his grandparents house but everything changed since he was a little boy. All we know is that our name and ancestors are coming from France. My grandpa already died in 1995 so dad started way too late to search for his roots! 
    Oh and about the booze... people from the east are badass! I mean pepper vodka? :o  That alone is crazy already but yeah they drink it like water right... haha... and a pint glass is half a Liter right?! OMG... :lol: 

So how are you dealing with the weather in Wisconsin right now? Must be freaking cold there! :s
    kce8 said:

Thank you hedonist for the Talking Heads reminder, made me jump on YT and watch a couple of the videos... I really enjoy that! 
    I also stumbled over the next one. Sadly I missed this show in Cologne. Love the sound and energy.

RYME, so nice to hear that you are visiting Europe regularly! I never was in Lithuania before, but I know that your wife was born in a beautiful country. I looked Palanga up and found out that it's not too far away from where my granddad was born in 1911 in East Prussia. :)
    So since maybe 15 years my dad tries to find out more about his family tree but everything got lost during the war there. My parents even tried to find his grandparents house but everything changed since he was a little boy. All we know is that our name and ancestors are coming from France. My grandpa already died in 1995 so dad started way too late to search for his roots! 
    Oh and about the booze... people from the east are badass! I mean pepper vodka? :o  That alone is crazy already but yeah they drink it like water right... haha... and a pint glass is half a Liter right?! OMG... :lol: 

So how are you dealing with the weather in Wisconsin right now? Must be freaking cold there! :s
    Nice of you to ask about the weather.  It's been in the single digits, or below 0 since Christmas.  It was -11 Fahrenheit this morning when I went out the door to go to work at 4:AM. So you're in Germany you must use the Celsius, so that's -23.8 Celsius.
    How's the weather in Central Germany this time of year?
    Anyway these pint glasses of peppered vodka don't phase the guy, the guy being my wife's dad.  My father-in-law.  It's funny,,,light bothers his eyes he's not blind but he wears sunglasses all day long indoors too.  It's funny, he has black tea and a small breakfast right away, & then like around 8:30-9:00 am, he sits in the kitchen or on the porch sunglasses on and lights up his cigarette & pours himself a glass of pepper vodka offers me some every time....  (He is 78 years old.) & then starts his day after that.  He likes to tend his garden during the day,. We always visit around June or July so he's always tending his garden at that time of year very important to him,, he has his garden in a greenhouse cuz the growing season is so short there and oftentimes not very warm. B)   He refules himself with another glass of pepper vodka about every two hours.lol.
    He always offers me some every time and I had one sip of it once and damn near choked to death lol,, so I say no thanks and just stick with beer.(Alous). He laughs at me every time I say (no thank you). Pronounced in Lithuanian, (Na Atchu)
    Lithuania is actually called (Lietuva)

Anyway here are some better pictures of these Bavarian paintings as you say, and then I'll play a song.

By the way, Where are you from, or where do you live Hedonist if I may ask??

It's interesting that my great-great aunt's name was Adelaide.
    So you are Australian correct?

I posted this a few weeks ago better pictures for kce8.
    I'll just bring them down with a repost.
  • Options
    RYME said:

Anyway it's time to play a song.
    Here's a girl named Martha Berner, friend of mine from my hometown.  I decided to play this song here because it's called Good Company. 
    And I consider you folks good company. :)  And Good Company Is Hard to Find.
    https://youtu.be/16q-LuRDxU0
    Another repost brought down so you can see the pictures better.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:

kce8 said:

Nice of you to ask about the weather.  It's been in the single digits, or below 0 since Christmas.  It was -11 Fahrenheit this morning when I went out the door to go to work at 4:AM. So you're in Germany you must use the Celsius, so that's -23.8 Celsius.
    Anyway these pint glasses of peppered vodka don't phase the guy, the guy being my wife's dad.  My father-in-law.  It's funny,,,light bothers his eyes he's not blind but he wears sunglasses all day long indoors too.  It's funny, he has black tea and a small breakfast right away, & then like around 8:30-9:00 am, he sits in the kitchen or on the porch sunglasses on and lights up his cigarette & pours himself a glass of pepper vodka offers me some every time....  (He is 78 years old.) & then starts his day after that.  He likes to tend his garden during the day,. We always visit around June or July so he's always tending his garden at that time of year very important to him,, he has his garden in a greenhouse cuz the growing season is so short there and oftentimes not very warm. B)   He refules himself with another glass of pepper vodka about every two hours.lol.
    He always offers me some every time and I had one sip of it once and damn near choked to death lol,, so I say no thanks and just stick with beer.(Alous). He laughs at me every time I say (no thank you). Pronounced in Lithuanian, (Na Atchu)

Anyway here are some better pictures of these Bavarian paintings as you say, and then I'll play a song.

• Options
    I didn't mean to repost them all three times but maybe I did but at least you can see them better now.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sounds like a nice life for your father-in-law.  Hell, at that age, that's the way to live!

I'm a native LA woman, RYME.  West Hollywood!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:

kce8 said:

Thank you so much RYME for showing me I appreciate it so much :)...I can see them better now such nice paintings...yeah it would good if you could find out more about the History of these Paintings :)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:

Hey that is so cool that your Great Great Aunt's name was Adelaide that's a nice name...my Dad grew up in Adelaide alot of Germans migrated there I have no idea why...

Yeah that's right I'm Australian from way out West from Perth in Western Australia nice to meet you RYME hehe ;)...yes definitely try and find out more of the History of the Paintings I like Art and your Great Great Aunt was talented they're Good Paintings...see if you could take some Photos to see them closer?...it will be good to have a closer look at them I would really like that :)

Your Wife is from Lithuania?...hey that is so nice which part of Lithuania?... and how Wonderful that you get to visit Lithuania every year that sounds really cool :smiley:..I so want to get back to Europe I've been to Europe once before and that was too Germany for a Holiday I also crossed the Border and visited Prague such a Nice City that is I want to go back there...they have some nice Beers cheap too ;) haha...so yeah that's as close to Lithuania as I've been...if you like Beer Australia has some nice Beers and I looked up that Link so Lithuania's second oldest Brewery then?...I've never tried that Beer but I would really like too...so Lithuanian Beer any good?...and let me guess from those Parts strong too right? :smiley: hehe...and you can see how Lietuva is similar to the English Translation that's if I'm pronouncing it properly lol... so Alous is the Lithuanian word for Beer then?...ok I'll remember that then hehe...ok yeah I know Maker's Mark but I've never tried it though

Oh yeah have you tried Vegemite before or know of it? ;)

Thanks for posting these clips I'm going to go listen too them now...Good choices by the way :)...I'll re-post this too just so you don't have to scroll back up lol ;)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Love that Waymore!

Hey loungers, thanks for keeping the cool vibe going here!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonist said:
    Sounds like a nice life for your father-in-law.  Hell, at that age, that's the way to live!

I've been to LA ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    hedonist said:

Nice to meet you here and chat.
    Are you doing okay out there with all the fires and floods??
    Back in 2000 I worked at a horseback riding place in Palm Springs for one winter.  Called Smoke Tree Stables.
     Nice area there, but got super hot in about mid April.  About 110 degrees in the shade everyday. Too hot for This Good Ole Boy.  We visited a big music/nightclub in San Bernardino one weekend,  but that's as close to LA as I have been. 
    A couple of buddies and I Went up north along Highway 1 saw San Francisco we took turns driving across the Golden Gate Bridge a few times just so we could say we each did. 
    Good times it was.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Thanks!  Fortunately we're away from the devastation of late.

And yikes to Palm Springs!  Not a fan of desert weather at all.

I got thrown from a horse there when I was in my teens - I wonder if it was the same stable?  Some genius thought it'd be A-OK to drive their golf cart very close to us :angry:
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Great to see you here Lounge Host... 
    I'm only taking a short ride here lately...too busy... 

But I can't wait for the weekend! Then I hopefully get my life back again :lol: 
    Good night Loungers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKtOhFyI6M

Just because of San Francisco...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpoHBTeyFxg
  • Options
    I just love Willie's comment about the red bandana at the beginning.  Shoot, I just love Mr. Nelson, period.

And we had that Metallica version going recently; I think it's one of my favorites.
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Great to see you here Lounge Host... 
    I'm only taking a short ride here lately...too busy... 

But I can't wait for the weekend! Then I hopefully get my life back again :lol: 
    Good night Loungers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKtOhFyI6M

Just because of San Francisco...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpoHBTeyFxg
    Good to see you here too, kce!

hedonist said:
    I just love Willie's comment about the red bandana at the beginning.  Shoot, I just love Mr. Nelson, period.

And we had that Metallica version going recently; I think it's one of my favorites.
    Willie!   One of the best!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited January 2018
    hedonist said:
    Thanks!  Fortunately we're away from the devastation of late.

And yikes to Palm Springs!  Not a fan of desert weather at all.

I got thrown from a horse there when I was in my teens - I wonder if it was the same stable?  Some genius thought it'd be A-OK to drive their golf cart very close to us :angry:
    Well I don't know if there's another horseback riding place out in Palm Springs it was called Smoke Tree Stables Toledo Avenue.
    I've beenn tossed off a few horses myself over the years.
    One time in Palm springs too.
    I was a horseback riding guide there and I had a group of 10 people behind me, the horse I was on was 2 years old nervous horse and he was just scared of anything & everything. He spooked at something and jumped and went sideways and then the other sideways then spun around and I lost my balance and fell off. The kind people in my group said "Good Lord, are you alright? My reply was this "Yes I'm just fine & dandy the cactuses and rocks broke my fall, thanks for asking." =)
    Yeah there are a lot of golf courses around there so it's probably the same place where you got dumped off.
    They say getting tossed off of horses tends to break bones and build character. B)
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    I've got a feeling that toss fucked with my back to where it is now.  Hrrrmph!

I am soooo digging on this.  TJ is THE shit.  Not to mention Van and Beck.

Beauty, exponentially :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97MZWlkLpHw
  • Options
    And, my goal of getting a decent night's sleep (ie, a good 7 or so hours) was derailed by these two motherfuckers.

Brian, guess you'd dig on this?

Heard it for the first time (!!!) this morning and loved it.  Reminds me a bit of Byrne.

Bless those two souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBCbMPWbMx4
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    And, my goal of getting a decent night's sleep (ie, a good 7 or so hours) was derailed by these two motherfuckers.

Brian, guess you'd dig on this?

Heard it for the first time (!!!) this morning and loved it.  Reminds me a bit of Byrne.

Bless those two souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBCbMPWbMx4
    Whoooeee!  Yeah!  I'm so stoke!  I've never seen this.  THANK YOU HEDO!!!

• Options
    Most welcome, my Cali bro :)

You all have a good night (or good wake).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Hello Loungers...Hey Brian hows your Cold are you feeling better?...I was going to ask you if you want a Beer...but maybe a Honey Lemon Tea might be better :)...it's so Great to see you here Brian :)

Some Eddie Vedder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8oxC24QZc

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Things can be so sad and scary at times :frowning:
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Hello Loungers...Hey Brian hows your Cold are you feeling better?...I was going to ask you if you want a Beer...but maybe a Honey Lemon Tea might be better :)...it's so Great to see you here Brian :)

Some Eddie Vedder...

Hey there my friend, doing much better, thanks for asking!  A little Southern Comfort for sipping, please! :smile:

Nice Eddie pick!
    i_lov_it said:
    In times like these, a place like the PJ community becomes even more important. 

• Options
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Some Eddie Vedder...

Hey there my friend, doing much better, thanks for asking!  A little Southern Comfort for sipping, please! :smile:

Nice Eddie pick!
    i_lov_it said:

Hey Brian my Friend...you're Very Welcome. glad to hear that you're doing much better :)..ok Southern Comfort it is enjoy...Thanks Brian...Yeah listening to Eddie's voice and Music makes me Happy :smiley:

Thanks for that Brian...yeah my Dad has just recently suffered a Minor Stroke so if that wasn't Scary enough he then had to have urgent Heart Surgery and By-Pass not long afterwards...even though he's made a Good recovery he's still very Fragile :frowning:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Until recently the lounge car was a fun place to play a song and see what other songs were on people's minds.
    Now in the last week or so I actually feel like I've met a few of you.
    kce8 from Germany.
    hedonist LA woman.
    I_love_it an Aussie.
    I'm from southeast Wisconsin.  Alpine Valley is a 30-minute ride for me.  That is of course where pj20 took place. 
    (Right in my backyard basically)
    So Brian, hope you're feeling better,,,where are you from?  I like Southern Comfort once in awhile too good stuff.
    Someday it would be fun for all of us to meet at at PJ concert somewhere and I know it would be almost impossible to meet from around the world at one place but anyway here is an Eddie show that I was at a few years ago in Nashville Tennessee.  Took my dad with, he's kind of an old country bumpkin when it comes to music, he was not too familiar with Eddie's solo music, all he knows is Eddie Vedder is from Pearl Jam and he knows I like Pearl Jam a lot, but he doesn't like them that much well I shouldn't say that, he likes mellower songs like daughter and better man but he's not a fan of the Rockers.  He calls them screechers lol.  He actually likes the acoustic Pearl Jam like Benaroya Hall.
    So my dad and I drove down to Nashville Tennessee to see Eddie I think it was 2009, and my dad actually brought earplugs fearing he would he would be subjected to a few screachers.
    Needless to say he was pleasantly surprised.  And he didn't need to use the ear plugs.

https://youtu.be/bD4iRIytoME
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Hey, lov_it, good thoughts for your father.  Too many motherfucking strokes happening lately (at least within my little circle).

Would have loved to see a concert with my dad - music was part of his being and he passed that on to me.  Dammit I miss him!
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    brianlux said:
    Love that Waymore!

Some Eddie Vedder...

Nice Eddie pick!
    i_lov_it said:

Hey Brian my Friend...you're Very Welcome. glad to hear that you're doing much better :)..ok Southern Comfort it is enjoy...Thanks Brian...Yeah listening to Eddie's voice and Music makes me Happy :smiley:

Thanks for that Brian...yeah my Dad has just recently suffered a Minor Stroke so if that wasn't Scary enough he then had to have urgent Heart Surgery and By-Pass not long afterwards...even though he's made a Good recovery he's still very Fragile :frowning:

Good thoughts going out for your Dad.  I hope he makes a good recovery and regains his strength!