Steeping Tea

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone know the proper technique for making instant tea? Do you let the tea bag sit in the water or do you bob it up and down? The more sophisticated drinkers seem to do the bob. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im a big tea drinker.. bags and loose. when i use bags it depends on what im drinking. usually its green tea so i let it steep til i actually remember i have tea waiting on the kitchen bench. if im drinking a darker tea i dunk a few times before removing the bag so i can reuse it. i do not add sugar or milk.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    I believe the rule of thumb is to let black or green tea seep for 3 minutes before removing the tea bag, and 5 minutes for herbal teas. I think in both cases you are suppose to cover the tea cup or mug while it is seeping. Does that help?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    :shock:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    hmmm... i always thought it was bag placement that was most important. I like a strong cup, so I always steep for a long time, and dunk throughout.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,012
    Thread topic modified. Thread unlocked.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Sea wrote:

Yeah, seems totally innocent now :lol:
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Sea wrote:

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Sea wrote:

Did I miss something?? :think: :?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ban him
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Sea wrote:

Not at all what I feared this thread was about!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sea wrote:

***tsk tsk tsk ***
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,239
    I like my tea really dark so i let it sit ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

you drink it straight?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

you drink it straight?

Yes ..
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,012
    DS1119 wrote:
    Does anyone know the proper technique for making instant tea? Do you let the tea bag sit in the water or do you bob it up and down? The more sophisticated drinkers seem to do the bob. Thanks.

http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/informatio ... t-cup.html

If using tea bags - Tea bags are acceptable, but do not really give the tea room to move around much during steeping. Some newer teabags are pyrimidical in shape, which helps alleviate this issue, but regular tea bags tend to use fannings and tea dust to maximize flavor. Move the bag around a few times during steeping to help circulate the water.
    all these rules.....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Does anyone know if there is a proper technique for dipping the tea bag. Is it up and down? If you're bobbing is there a count that you should do? Like one second out...three seconds in? While the tea bag is in should I swirl it around or will that make the tea too strong? Thanks.
    may i suggest just making some tea and trying different styles?

or perhaps, you should visit a tea tasting....in chinatown.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,123
    edited January 2012
    DS1119 wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is a proper technique for dipping the tea bag. Is it up and down? If you're bobbing is there a count that you should do? Like one second out...three seconds in? While the tea bag is in should I swirl it around or will that make the tea too strong? Thanks.

Cant help but laugh - :lol:
    Try swirling the tea bag in the shapes of the letters of the alphabet. :o
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    DS1119 wrote:

jesus man it aint rocket science.. do what you feel like. trial and error my friend.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    DS1119 wrote:

jesus man it aint rocket science.. do what you feel like. trial and error my friend.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

I see you answered some of my questions a few posts earlier. Thank you! I'm having some tea as I type this. Great drink on such a cold day!
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I see you answered some of my questions a few posts earlier. Thank you! I'm having some tea as I type this. Great drink on such a cold day!

and how did you prepare it??? did you repeatedly dunk or did you let that bag sit there for a bit?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    DS1119 wrote:

I drink lots of tea,herbal/fruit etc I steep for 5 minutes,stirring occassionally,no milk or sugar.

I take black tea black :D but very weak,pour the water in first then just dunk the tea bag in swirl and out again,but that's just me,I like it weak.

I had so much better hopes for this threads title :cry::lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I drink lots of tea,herbal/fruit etc I steep for 5 minutes,stirring occassionally,no milk or sugar.

I take black tea black :D but very weak,pour the water in first then just dunk the tea bag in swirl and out again,but that's just me,I like it weak.

I had so much better hopes for this threads title
    :cry::lol:

with a name like stargirl69 im not surprised. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

zing....

Cate's on fire today. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

zing....

Cate's on fire today. :lol:

cates not feeling well.. it manifests itself in various ways. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    :lol::lol::lol:

All the pervs are drooling :lol::lol:
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... yerba+mate

This i used to drink in Chile i might have to order some it really is so good ...
  • gold
    We were but stones your light made us stars