Options

Tired of texting drivers almost killing us!

13»

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    bionicamy wrote:
    The technology is there to prevent phones from receiving or sending all calls and texts when a car is moving. You can install these programs on newer phones.
    IF they were serious about stopping or enforcing laws this they could have already by having this software pre installed on phones.

But this.... This is innovation..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... 8C20120109

I would imagine there would be an uproar over that though. Maybe 6 months or a year ago there was a story about cell phone software that would prevent people from using their phones to film concerts. I don't remember all the details, but it was basically something installed at concert venues that acts could have turned on if they were concerned with their copyrighted material being stolen or whatever. Then if the people in the audience tried to point their cell phones at the stage they wouldn't work. Seems fair enough, but people were pissed, and concerned with their personal liberties and what-have-you.

That's a little more trivial than this, but I think it would be met by the same resistance. As for blocking calls in a moving car, that could potentially (in SOME circumstances) be a hindrance in emergency situations. If they did have something like that, it would at least need to be able to have an override to call 9-1-1 or something.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    bionicamy wrote:
    The technology is there to prevent phones from receiving or sending all calls and texts when a car is moving. You can install these programs on newer phones.
    IF they were serious about stopping or enforcing laws this they could have already by having this software pre installed on phones.

so when some guy comes up to me and starts freaking out and says "I'm gonna rip you out of the car and pound your face into the ground" then I should be prevented from driving away and calling 911 and reporting his plates?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    RKCNDY wrote:

so when some guy comes up to me and starts freaking out and says "I'm gonna rip you out of the car and pound your face into the ground" then I should be prevented from driving away and calling 911 and reporting his plates?

I would think this technology would, or should have a 9-1-1 override. I doubt this technology will every come to widespread use though.

Unfortunately the way the world is today most people wouldn't even think to dial 9-1-1, and would just send out a Tweet or text saying:

"OMG sum tard just tryed to rob me @ an intrsctn!!! whts rong wit dees ppl"
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    RKCNDY wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

jesus shit, did that actually happen to you?
    [you could always tell him you know how to tie a cherry stem in a knot, I am sure that would impress him!]
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    RKCNDY wrote:

I would think this technology would, or should have a 9-1-1 override. I doubt this technology will every come to widespread use though.

Unfortunately the way the world is today most people wouldn't even think to dial 9-1-1, and would just send out a Tweet or text saying:

"OMG sum tard just tryed to rob me @ an intrsctn!!! whts rong wit dees ppl"

Funniest thing I have read all week.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    bionicamy wrote:

I understand your point but what if you're a passenger? What if it's a cab, bus, or train?
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

[you could always tell him you know how to tie a cherry stem in a knot, I am sure that would impress him!]

yes, Mr. UndercompensatedInCertainAreasSoIAmForcedToDriveAMercedes decided to not stop at a stop sign and cut me off, I had to slam on my brakes so I wouldn't hit him...I honked, and flipped him off. So he slams on his brakes puts the car in park, gets out and comes up to my window, starts freaking out on me, I calmly reached for my cell, and dialed 911...never saw somebody run back to their car so fast. Got his plates, they sent someone after him. This was all before Twitter... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    bionicamy wrote:

Passenger seat?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    bionicamy wrote:

I would imagine there would be an uproar over that though. Maybe 6 months or a year ago there was a story about cell phone software that would prevent people from using their phones to film concerts. I don't remember all the details, but it was basically something installed at concert venues that acts could have turned on if they were concerned with their copyrighted material being stolen or whatever. Then if the people in the audience tried to point their cell phones at the stage they wouldn't work. Seems fair enough, but people were pissed, and concerned with their personal liberties and what-have-you.

That's a little more trivial than this, but I think it would be met by the same resistance. As for blocking calls in a moving car, that could potentially (in SOME circumstances) be a hindrance in emergency situations. If they did have something like that, it would at least need to be able to have an override to call 9-1-1 or something.

Every application I have seen the user could still call 911. Some you can set to call a few specific numbers also for emergencies.

I also don't think this will ever be used. It would impact business and remote/ mobile workforces too much.

Was just saying the technology is there but it keeps going the other direction.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

I understand your point but what if you're a passenger? What if it's a cab, bus, or train?

I guess you would turn it off......
    I have teens so this was something I considered. I watched as they got hit a couple months ago.
    A second can change everything. Car was totalled but thankfully neither was hurt.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mfc2006 wrote:
    completely agree....they need stricter laws for this.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

yes, Mr. UndercompensatedInCertainAreasSoIAmForcedToDriveAMercedes decided to not stop at a stop sign and cut me off, I had to slam on my brakes so I wouldn't hit him...I honked, and flipped him off. So he slams on his brakes puts the car in park, gets out and comes up to my window, starts freaking out on me, I calmly reached for my cell, and dialed 911...never saw somebody run back to their car so fast. Got his plates, they sent someone after him. This was all before Twitter... :lol:

That is why I (almost) never flip people off any longer. Used to be a favorite thing to do
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    bionicamy wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

I guess you would turn it off......
    I have teens so this was something I considered. I watched as they got hit a couple months ago.
    A second can change everything. Car was totalled but thankfully neither was hurt.

my daughter is taking drivers ed right now. She passed a test tonight and she can legally apply for her permit tomorrow. Kinda scary that they don't do simulators anymore... 3 classes and she can get a permit? when she has never driven anything other than a golf cart (badly, I might add!).

Dad texts and drives all the time, I hand my phone to the shotgun to text for me or I text at red lights. I would welcome any technology that would disable cell phones (other than 911) within a car. I'm constantly bitching at her about using her phone while driving. She's always been very empathetic so I play that angle..... tell her that she could KILL someone, how serious and important driving a car is... etc.
  • Options

my daughter is taking drivers ed right now. She passed a test tonight and she can legally apply for her permit tomorrow. Kinda scary that they don't do simulators anymore... 3 classes and she can get a permit? when she has never driven anything other than a golf cart (badly, I might add!).

Dad texts and drives all the time, I hand my phone to the shotgun to text for me or I text at red lights. I would welcome any technology that would disable cell phones (other than 911) within a car. I'm constantly bitching at her about using her phone while driving. She's always been very empathetic so I play that angle..... tell her that she could KILL someone, how serious and important driving a car is... etc.

If your daughter has a smartphone check the app store.... Tmobile has an app called drive smart
    You can let her know you will check call logs. Insurance does and will check cell records in accidents. My boys thankfully were not on their phones.

Our younger son is also getting his permit. Here they take a written test to get that and hours use drive 65 hours in a 6 month period before taking the test for the license.

The day my oldest son drove off with the DMV test person had to seriously be the most nerve wracking moment of parenting (until that accident.)

Kids are driving in bigger faster cars than we were at that age add the technology to it.....

All you can do is be a good role model and let her know you trust her. It's not always the teens fault gotta watch out for the other guy texting or doing stupid stuff but having apps like those protect them even more and make good decisions when they are still learning how ;)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

my daughter is taking drivers ed right now. She passed a test tonight and she can legally apply for her permit tomorrow. Kinda scary that they don't do simulators anymore...3 classes and she can get a permit? when she has never driven anything other than a golf cart (badly, I might add!).

we dont even have drivers ed here... maybe some of the snotnose schools do but generally speaking its all theory before learners permit....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say