Options

Tired of texting drivers almost killing us!

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited January 2012
    Suave.27 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    it's just they're finding it hard to enforce.

they aren't trying very hard. i see it all the time....i also see expired tags all the time...

I actually got a ticket for that on the way back from Alpine Valley. I completely forgot and he only knew because I was going 75 in a 65 trying to pass a semi. Not a cheap ticket. Completely a dumb ass moment.

i'll never understand how anybody forgets to get tags....it's your BIRTHDAY. :lol:
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    it's just they're finding it hard to enforce.

they aren't trying very hard. i see it all the time....i also see expired tags all the time...

makes you wanna be a cop doesnt it.. so you can nail theyre lawbreaking arses. :lol: i see stupid shit all the time.

i'm too old to become a traffic cop, per the local rules. :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    81 wrote:
    Suave.27 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I actually got a ticket for that on the way back from Alpine Valley. I completely forgot and he only knew because I was going 75 in a 65 trying to pass a semi. Not a cheap ticket. Completely a dumb ass moment.

i'll never understand how anybody forgets to get tags....it's your BIRTHDAY. :lol:

Not around here. That's just for your license.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    completely agree....they need stricter laws for this.

the laws don't work though

A police officer almost hit me and my dog while he was texting!!!
    I don't need drugs to make my life tragic~E.V.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

+1...license=every 5 years on your b-day
    tags=whenever the car was originally bought brand new, like I bought the 2005 Honda in January...the tags are due in April, they will always be due in April...I can renew now, but why bother? I won't get a 'JAN' tag to go with the 2013 one.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    :)
    81 wrote:

really? how old are you.. 100??

oh and i think if pedestrians cross on the little red man drivers should be able to lovetap them with their front bumper just to remind them theyre doing something stupid... not to mention against the law.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    81 wrote:

I truly set down the paper to send in and just forgot. What sucks is I had to buy them in Sept. and just got the notice to send in for new ones because my birthday is next month. :(

I had a girl going 40 in a residential and texting. She hit the back end of my neighbor's truck, spun her car around, totaled the car of the person that was over at my house that was about 60 ft. behind it, and ended up in my front yard; her phone in my driveway. She admitted she was texting while driving and didn't notice them. If I find the pictures, I'll post. They have to do a better job enforcing.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mfc2006 wrote:
    completely agree....they need stricter laws for this.

the laws don't work though

A police officer almost hit me and my dog while he was texting!!!

This made me laugh. The police here talk on their cell phones while they're driving like it's their job.
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

+1...license=every 5 years on your b-day
    tags=whenever the car was originally bought brand new, like I bought the 2005 Honda in January...the tags are due in April, they will always be due in April...I can renew now, but why bother? I won't get a 'JAN' tag to go with the 2013 one.

IL and OH, and i'm sure other places, the tags expire on your birthday.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    justam wrote:
    To the OP,

Yes! My family was almost hit head-on by a texting driver one Sunday morning.

The foolish person was texting as she got OUT of the car after it had crashed into a tree in the center of the road. Thank heaven for that tree. It saved us. She was heading in OUR direction when it stopped her. Idiot. What could have been that important that she needed to text while driving?! :shock:

Glad your family was OK -- this sort of thing happens a few times a month to me. (I drive for 3-4 hours every day in whacko-LA traffic.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    81 wrote:

oh and i think if pedestrians cross on the little red man drivers should be able to lovetap them with their front bumper just to remind them theyre doing something stupid... not to mention against the law.

i think the cut off is 34 or 35. if you aren't in by then....forget it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i think the cut off is 34 or 35. if you aren't in by then....forget it.

so that makes you at least 36. :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

That's great. Happy Birthday...pay us fucker!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Suave.27 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I truly set down the paper to send in and just forgot. What sucks is I had to buy them in Sept. and just got the notice to send in for new ones because my birthday is next month. :(

1970 West Broad Street, Columbus, OH

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

sherlock holmes? is that you. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

That's great. Happy Birthday...pay us fucker!!! :lol:

makes it easy to remember. i like it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    They tried to make Texting And Driving illegal throughout the entire state of Texas, but that genius Rick Perry vetoed the bill. He called it a “government effort to micromanage the behavior of adults". What a tool. I would think it's similar to DWI. It's not telling people not to drink (or in this case text), just don't do it while you're driving. Isn't arresting people for DWI "micromanaging the behavior of adults"? And one I happen to agree with. Clearly we can't trust people to use common sense on this issue, so there has to be a law.

Luckily most cities and counties are passing their own legislation banning texting and driving.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    81 wrote:

I have often thought how cool it would be to drive a truck with a plow so that I could 'bump' people without f-ing up my car. (When I used to drive a pos in high school we would always tap the car in front of us when it was a buddy. Now (especially the way they make care now) it would ding the car and I would be sad. :(
  • Options
    81 wrote:

sherlock holmes? is that you. :P

i know... im a wizard arent i??? :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I have often thought how cool it would be to drive a truck with a plow so that I could 'bump' people without f-ing up my car. (When I used to drive a pos in high school we would always tap the car in front of us when it was a buddy. Now (especially the way they make care now) it would ding the car and I would be sad. :(

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    They tried to make Texting And Driving illegal throughout the entire state of Texas, but that genius Rick Perry vetoed the bill. He called it a “government effort to micromanage the behavior of adults". What a tool. I would think it's similar to DWI. It's not telling people not to drink (or in this case text), just don't do it while you're driving. Isn't arresting people for DWI "micromanaging the behavior of adults"? And one I happen to agree with. Clearly we can't trust people to use common sense on this issue, so there has to be a law.

Luckily most cities and counties are passing their own legislation banning texting and driving.

That guy is a giant douche.
    I would bet money that I could drive better after 10 beers than I could while trying to type out a message on my phone. With the big screen smart phones there is no feel to texting - I actually have to look at the screen. If I was drunk I would be MORE careful out of fear.
  • Options

That guy is a giant douche.
    I would bet money that I could drive better after 10 beers than I could while trying to type out a message on my phone. With the big screen smart phones there is no feel to texting - I actually have to look at the screen. If I was drunk I would be MORE careful out of fear.

i cant even walk and text.. i have a habit of falling off the footpath.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Suave.27 wrote:
    81 wrote:

1970 West Broad Street, Columbus, OH

:P

:| Thanks and all for your help BUT I don't go to that one. Way too big and way too many weird characters and it has a disgusting stench. :lol:
  • Options

What a tool. Technically, 16 and 17 year olds aren't even adults. There just has to be a law. There are a lot of horrible, jackass drivers already and inexperienced drivers....add texting to the list- it's not an ideal scenario.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Suave.27 wrote:

What a tool. Technically, 16 and 17 year olds aren't even adults. There just has to be a law. There are a lot of horrible, jackass drivers already and inexperienced drivers....add texting to the list- it's not an ideal scenario.

There is supposedly a law here that prevents anybody under the age of 18 from using any "wireless communications device" while driving, though I'm not sure how well it is enforced as I don't know any 16-17 year olds. But the woman that almost killed me was not a teenager, she looked to be in her 30's.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    There is supposedly a law here that prevents anybody under the age of 18 from using any "wireless communications device" while driving, though I'm not sure how well it is enforced as I don't know any 16-17 year olds. But the woman that almost killed me was not a teenager, she looked to be in her 30's.

People all ages seem to text and drive, obviously. I was just saying that when you have ignorant adults who do it and then inexperienced drivers (aka teenagers) doing it, it's SO dangerous. And I just thinks there needs to be more of an enforcement.

There's quite a few areas around here, including the city where I reside, that have banned texting while driving. Some cities have higher fines than others. One tried to ban all cell phone use, and this was the response:

Worthington’s City Council rejected a proposal to ban handheld cell phone use by drivers on July 18. One lawmaker feared the city image would suffer if it handed out tickets to unknowing non-residents (as in a speed trap) while another said the legislation smacked of “a police state.”

They're trying to make it a state law, but they said that the bill is going VERY slowly through senate. Last June, they passed a distracted driving measure, but the Senate Committee chairman said that they are "treading carefully on the matter." in regards to any actually banishment. He said that they think it will eventually pass because the number of accidents caused by it will increase over time. But it's kind of like a no shit moment. Unfortunately, peoples lives have to continue to be lost or people need to be injured, etc. before there's a real push. The law just moves way too slow.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,649
    A guy in my town just took a plea for 2 1/2 years for killing a kid while texting and driving.

While texting and driving is bad, so is talking on the phone and driving, with or without a hands-free device. It's basically equal to drunk driving and should be equally illegal.
  • Options
    Suave.27 wrote:

People all ages seem to text and drive, obviously. I was just saying that when you have ignorant adults who do it and then inexperienced drivers (aka teenagers) doing it, it's SO dangerous. And I just thinks there needs to be more of an enforcement.

There's quite a few areas around here, including the city where I reside, that have banned texting while driving. Some cities have higher fines than others. One tried to ban all cell phone use, and this was the response:

Worthington’s City Council rejected a proposal to ban handheld cell phone use by drivers on July 18. One lawmaker feared the city image would suffer if it handed out tickets to unknowing non-residents (as in a speed trap) while another said the legislation smacked of “a police state.”

They're trying to make it a state law, but they said that the bill is going VERY slowly through senate. Last June, they passed a distracted driving measure, but the Senate Committee chairman said that they are "treading carefully on the matter." in regards to any actually banishment. He said that they think it will eventually pass because the number of accidents caused by it will increase over time. But it's kind of like a no shit moment. Unfortunately, peoples lives have to continue to be lost or people need to be injured, etc. before there's a real push. The law just moves way too slow.

Agree 100%. Why do they make sure a big deal out of speeding or dui when this is just as big a problem and isn't even illegal in most places? They should really kick it in gear and enforce heavily.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    A guy in my town just took a plea for 2 1/2 years for killing a kid while texting and driving.

While texting and driving is bad, so is talking on the phone and driving, with or without a hands-free device. It's basically equal to drunk driving and should be equally illegal.

I think there are numbers to show how bad it can be but I dont think it compares with how distracting texting is. You can speak on the phone and look at the road. (Although I fully admit that cell phones in cars can be distracting, period.)
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    The technology is there to prevent phones from receiving or sending all calls and texts when a car is moving. You can install these programs on newer phones.
    IF they were serious about stopping or enforcing laws this they could have already by having this software pre installed on phones.

But this.... This is innovation..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... 8C20120109
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....