Why do police almost always shoot to kill?

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Bad police arent the exception. they are the rule. police are brutal by nature.

OK, so what happened, you get a ticket today? I've met plenty of nice cops and know a few cops. As with anything, you're going to have assholes and people who aren't assholes. There isn't a "rule" or "nature" that covers all of them. That's just silly.

youve been on this board awhile. my stance on issues like capitalism, greed,violence, police and war havent changed since i joined in 2003.

And its not like police are this paragon of good. the laundry list of past and current grievances people have against police is too long to detail here, but youve got curruption, taking drugs and money from suspects and not reporting it to superiors, the long and sordid racist and homophobic and sexist culture inside police departments nationwide including the collusion of the the KKK and the police in the south, racial profiling and outright murder in the cases of Amadou Dialo, and the rape of abner louima, Rodney King, false arrests, sketchy tactics in confession rooms, the whole mentality of shoot first ask questions later. And yeah its not all the police departments fault, its also the governments, state and local, and the beaurocracy of it all.

people legitimately can and do have numerous grievances against the Police.

I'm aware of that, but that doesn't make ALL cops brutal by nature.

Also, the thread title is VERY misleading, and VERY untrue. As has been pointed out, you're just hearing about the ones that go South. It's sort of like asking "Why do all traffic stops end in a high speed chase?" just because the only traffic stops you hear about on the news are the ones that end up that way. Not all cops shoot first and ask questions later, or shoot to kill.

If you have something against cops, or whatever, that's fine. I don't have THAT much love for them as a whole. But it's pretty silly to make such broad generalizations, and I think you know that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Bad police arent the exception. they are the rule. police are brutal by nature.
    Wow...making a blanket statement about an entire profession based on cases of abuse (cases which are highlighted in the media, of course...because "good cop" just doesn't make as interesting of a story) is incredibly unfounded. If you honestly believe this, do you also believe all teachers sleep with their students? All priests molest children? All coaches rape? All accountants steal money? Etc... I think doing this is extremely similar to the profiling you are complaining about police doing, right? You are stereotyping and basing your opinion on an entire group off of the fact that there are some "bad apples" in the bunch.
    +1

Although I somewhat agree with disarming the suspect instead of shooting to kill whenever possible. There was and issue in Seattle recently when the cops shot a Native American woodcarver because he was wandering around with his knife out. The cops shot him when he didn't put the knife down after several verbal commands to drop the weapon. After the fact they found out the guy was deaf.

Comparing reality to fiction is pointless. I loved the Wire too, but that is not real life. It's real life told through art.
    NERDS!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

Comparing reality to fiction is pointless.

What!!! You mean all doctors aren't like House???? :o
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    DS1119 wrote:

Wait, what do you mean boxing is nothing like the Rocky films?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • DS1119 wrote:

Nope, they're more like Jack from Lost. :ugeek:
    NERDS!

:o

Come on!! The next thing you'll tell me is the show The Real World is nothing like the real world?? :shock:
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    DS1119 wrote:

:o

Come on!! The next thing you'll tell me is the show The Real World is nothing like the real world?? :shock:
    :lol:
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Sgt. Martaugh said to shoot 'em in the leg where you could ask them questions, but Riggs always seem to shoot to kill..... :ugeek:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,539
    get a haircut hippie
    www.myspace.com
  • get a haircut hippie
    hehehehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    get a haircut hippie

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    shoot to kill or don't pull out your gun.
    This pretty much sums it up.

And speaking as someone who just got home from the shooting range, it is a helluva lot easier to shoot at the center mass than a shoulder or leg or something (though I did nail a target in the ear lol)
  • policeman is a frikkin taugh and dangerous job to do..
    you dont know if you will come back safe home...
    for sure there are cops they can fire with no reason...
    here is Greece laws are different..policeman can use his weapon only if they shoot at him first..
    they dont allow them to shoot only cos someone carry a gun..
    the right is somewhere in the middle..shoot only when you feel like your life is in danger and try to shoot in the legs or whatever..,shoot to kill must be your last option when you dont have any other
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    for anyone with the OPs attitude i'd suggest they ride along with a cop for one day, especially in certain locales.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more. If you want to display a weapon to authorities and after a reasonable amount of time you don't stand down or give up...time to face the consequences. Why should police officers have to risk their own lives trying to disarm someone? .

This.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    pjhawks wrote:
    for anyone with the OPs attitude i'd suggest they ride along with a cop for one day, especially in certain locales.

This. OP should do a ride along in sections of Baltimore that were in "the Wire" from 12-5 AM. See what police in those areas have to deal with. There are some bad cops, but there are good ones too. There are just as many storys of officers on routine traffic stops that get shot for no reason other than pulling over a car that was speeding. No mention of those cases.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    It all depends on the situtation, it's certainly what there trained to do, i think one of the reasons is, hand guns aren't really as accurate as most people think.

may be the case but i dont think its an excuse. as i said, im a pacifist. im against violence. i dont think anything has been solved by police ever killing a suspect.

its always been a shoot first ask questions later run organization.

beyond the mindless violence, its the disreguard for personal property and livelihood i have a problem with. when police kick down someones door and rifle through their belongings and trash their house, and THEY DONT find anything, do police ever spend time helping to clean up the room and or pay for a replacement door. the answer should be obvious.

I'm sorry, but you're just naive. I too was anti-police back in my college days. Down with the establishment, maaaaan.

As a whole, the police are not generally corrupt. They are tough, and don't take shit, because that is their job. You hear about the corruption because those stories make for good news clips.

Put yourself in the shoes of a cop who is confronting a suspect with a weapon. You don't know if their weapon is real or not. All you know is they are waving it in your face and you have a family to feed, and a job to do. There is no chance in HELL you are going to just try and slightly wound them, in hopes of taking them peacefully. I'm sorry, but if you are a policeman and someone waves a gun in your face and will not put it down after repeated commands to do so, you don't have much of a choice. Your life, as well as the lives of all bystanders, are at stake. This isn't time to be second guessing your approach.

I understand not trusting authorities. I understand thinking cops are evil. But I also understand that at a certain point in life, society is not out to get me. I'm not 18 anymore. I understand the need for cops, and I understand not all of them are corrupt and crooked. They are doing their job every bit as much as you do yours. Only YOU are not risking your life every day for yours. Think about that next time you criticize the police for "overreacting" while posting from a cushy office chair in your cubicle, or room, or wherever you happen to be.

and also: don't believe everything you see or hear on the news. Sensationalism is the name of the game, Take the Occupy pepper spraying cop. All you saw was the "incident". You didn't see the few minutes leading up to it where the protesters were not listening to the police and at one point surrounding the guy, essentially threatening him.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • reading the post i understand exactly why people think what they think..is a fuckin dangerous job..
    isnt even a job,is a service..and i can tell that,my sister and her husband are both police officers..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Ive long wondered why if there is a standoff between police and a shooter/killer, or even in more mundane cases of a suspect who has a weapon like a knife or something, why police shoot to kill as opposed to shooting to disarm/injure the suspect so they can arrest them? My hometown a few years ago had a case of police shooting to death a high schooler at his house, after he refused to put down the knife he had in his hands. This seemed outrageous to me for a number of reasons, the kid only had a knife. And there were multiple police officers with a barrage and array of various methods to subdue him. Pepper spray, batons, tear gas, stun guns, bean bag guns. The fact they chose to shoot and kill this teen as opposed to using any of these other methods, let alone, they could have merely rushed him and overpowered him and arrested him, the fact they chose the lethal method is symptomatic of the police force at large.

my problem with police, and it stems from many issues, is exemplified by cases like these. I would think, although it seems like this isnt the way they are taught, that you want the suspect disarmed so he cant hurt police/themselves/and or other people. I dont think anything is solved by shooting to kill a suspect. A suspect is in a standoff, and has a weapon, or a knife, or whatever, why not shoot for the leg, or foot, or arm or something? the person would be wounded, and you could likely run up and subdue the suspect/arrest them.

i think police do our country and the citizens it claims to protect and serve, by a policy of outright shoot to kill, no questions asked. its lethal and immoral.

I think the policy should be, if they shoot at all, if the police shoot at all, it should be to disarm and or injure in such cases. Its often puzzled me, with so many methods to subdue and harm suspects, why shooting bullets is always without exception the main method used.
    I agree most especially in this situation you use as an example. The teen had no gun
    with no hostage, clearly out numbered and little threat to the officers.

Common sense tells me do not kill this human being.

It is the year anniversary in our neighborhood when our golden retriever mascot Boomer
    was gunned down by an over enthusiastic officer.
    Signs, this season, marked the spot he died in his young mans arms just days before Christmas.

This related in that I believe many officers are trigger happy.
    Not properly trained inexperienced and fearful in many situations
    which is understandable but should be addressed. It is through avoidable
    incidents that policy changes are made after the fact ...
    although not in Boom's case.

Another related danger the public faces....
    On the way to the bowl game this weekend a wife of a trainer
    was killed by an officer responding to a chase here in Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/74100 ... ce-cruiser

this incident will bring change hopefully, a new bill is being worked on as we speak.

Perhaps through the incident you speak of change can come. It is important
    in my opinion to have thoughtful officers who value life and have the opportunity
    to choose the most appropriate reaction for every given situation.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    pandora wrote:

No, 99.9% of them are not. No officer ever wants to use their weapon.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    pandora wrote:

i believe the same...better have a slow not buzy day ,go back home,than use their weapon
    BinFrog wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Perhaps instead of many the word should be some
    in the case of Boomer... no reason to shoot this dog ... no danger to the officer
    I call that a trigger happy response when the situation did not call for killing

young black man shot in the back recently here in Atl ... no weapon no danger
    to officer who shot him that man did not have to be killed

there are problems with some officers using their guns just because they can

this should be addressed to save lives in my opinion
  • These generalizations are ludicrous. There are hundreds of officers in some your neighborhoods. Thousands throughout the two major counties I live in. There are thousands and thousands of officers who go to work everyday to try to protect people. Two or three cases here and there might come up about terrible behavior, but that doesnt reflect on the majority.

I know a lot of cops, and they NEVER want to have to draw their weapon.

Too much news, tv, and movies, some people watch.

And in the case of this kid who had a knife (OP story)...those officers didnt know if he was fucked up on drugs or what his capabilities were. That kid could have killed an officer in an instant. You have a weapon, you better put it down when approached by officers, otherwise, you are asking for it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    . Two or three cases here and there might come up about terrible behavior, but that doesnt reflect on the majority.

way more than two or three cases of bad apple cops in the chicago area. :lol: seems like a weekly thing around here. from beating barmaids to crashing while DUI'ing to beating people inside the cop house.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    . Two or three cases here and there might come up about terrible behavior, but that doesnt reflect on the majority.

way more than two or three cases of bad apple cops in the chicago area. :lol: seems like a weekly thing around here. from beating barmaids to crashing while DUI'ing to beating people inside the cop house.

Yeah, there are some other problems, but I'm mostly referring to using their weapons.
    I have a good friend who is a cop and he was forced to use his taser on a guy once. He said it was a very scary moment and it made him realize even more how much he NEVER wants to use his gun. Most of his friends and the force he is on have the same mentality. And again, there are always bad apples, but we shouldnt let ourselves become disillusioned to them as a whole because of it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It's real simple. If you don't want to get shot then follow the officers direction.

I imagine I've had more personal encounters with the police than most of you(I won't go into my criminal resume) and I find as long as you treat them with respect they treat you the same. Sure there is that occasional guy that is on a power trip but that happens in any authorative position.

Someone get a band-aid for the OPs heart.
    #FHP
    81 wrote:

really it's bad here in Atl too

I think the value of life is dropping steadily
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,539
    off topic but considering musicismylife is a pacifist and against all kinds of violence, i'm wondering his thoughts on that teen mom who shot and killed an intruder a few days ago?

single mom (husband died of cancer just days earlier actually), home alone with her baby, 2 guys broker into her home and she shot and killed one of them to protect her and her baby.
    www.myspace.com
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    off topic but considering musicismylife is a pacifist and against all kinds of violence, i'm wondering his thoughts on that teen mom who shot and killed an intruder a few days ago?

single mom (husband died of cancer just days earlier actually), home alone with her baby, 2 guys broker into her home and she shot and killed one of them to protect her and her baby.
    I just saw that article. She absolutely did the right thing. So sad that people would prey on someone like that, after such a loss and being alone with her baby :( I just feel for her, having to deal with the emotional turmoil of losing her husband and having someone die at her hands.

When I hopefully get a house with my dad, I'm definitely getting a gun. Anybody coming in to my home trying to do harm will leave feet first.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm definitely getting a gun. Anybody coming in to my home trying to do harm will leave feet first.

Coming soon to DVD...

Harry.jpg

Do you feel lucky... punk?
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"