Why do police almost always shoot to kill?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Ive long wondered why if there is a standoff between police and a shooter/killer, or even in more mundane cases of a suspect who has a weapon like a knife or something, why police shoot to kill as opposed to shooting to disarm/injure the suspect so they can arrest them? My hometown a few years ago had a case of police shooting to death a high schooler at his house, after he refused to put down the knife he had in his hands. This seemed outrageous to me for a number of reasons, the kid only had a knife. And there were multiple police officers with a barrage and array of various methods to subdue him. Pepper spray, batons, tear gas, stun guns, bean bag guns. The fact they chose to shoot and kill this teen as opposed to using any of these other methods, let alone, they could have merely rushed him and overpowered him and arrested him, the fact they chose the lethal method is symptomatic of the police force at large.

my problem with police, and it stems from many issues, is exemplified by cases like these. I would think, although it seems like this isnt the way they are taught, that you want the suspect disarmed so he cant hurt police/themselves/and or other people. I dont think anything is solved by shooting to kill a suspect. A suspect is in a standoff, and has a weapon, or a knife, or whatever, why not shoot for the leg, or foot, or arm or something? the person would be wounded, and you could likely run up and subdue the suspect/arrest them.

i think police do our country and the citizens it claims to protect and serve, by a policy of outright shoot to kill, no questions asked. its lethal and immoral.

I think the policy should be, if they shoot at all, if the police shoot at all, it should be to disarm and or injure in such cases. Its often puzzled me, with so many methods to subdue and harm suspects, why shooting bullets is always without exception the main method used.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shoot to kill or don't pull out your gun.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Couldn't disagree more. If you want to display a weapon to authorities and after a reasonable amount of time you don't stand down or give up...time to face the consequences. Why should police officers have to risk their own lives trying to disarm someone? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't have a problem with cops shooting these types of idiots....

i do have a problem with bad cops, and it seems their numbers rise on a daily basis.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It all depends on the situtation, it's certainly what there trained to do, i think one of the reasons is, hand guns aren't really as accurate as most people think.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I always thought they were trained to shoot for the shoulders of an armed target.
  • i guess my problem is as i highlighted, police dont just have guns. as opposed to most people they will encounter, they have batons, pepper spray, bean bag guns and tasers among other things. any of these can be successfully used to disarm a suspect or person and do it in a way that is just as powerful as a gun shot might be.

I dont really think my tax money needs to go to police who shoot to kill. Thats not what i consider solid policing. Im a pacifist so thats my moral and ethical problem with it all.

In the case of my hometown example. boy refuses to put down knife so police shoot and kill him. Thats not good policing. They could have done any number of things to disarm and put him in custody. they chose to kill him. A teenage high schooler.

Bad police arent the exception. they are the rule. police are brutal by nature.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't think they "almost always" do. Maybe the instances in which they have just stick out, or are the ones you hear about more, but I don't think it's the norm. If somebody does have a gun, then they should shoot to kill. If it's a knife, then it would be better to shoot to disarm, but as somebody said, pistols aren't THAT accurate. It's probably easier and safer to shoot for center mass.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I always thought they were trained to shoot for the shoulders of an armed target.

may be the case, but this rarely if ever happens. when was the last time you read of a standoff with police, or the police shooting a suspect and disarming him after they shot him in the shoulder. never happens because its never used
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

OK, so what happened, you get a ticket today? I've met plenty of nice cops and know a few cops. As with anything, you're going to have assholes and people who aren't assholes. There isn't a "rule" or "nature" that covers all of them. That's just silly.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    DewieCox wrote:

may be the case, but this rarely if ever happens. when was the last time you read of a standoff with police, or the police shooting a suspect and disarming him after they shot him in the shoulder. never happens because its never used

Maybe you don't hear about it b/c it's protocol and it's not that big of a news story if the suspect doesn't die.
  • It all depends on the situtation, it's certainly what there trained to do, i think one of the reasons is, hand guns aren't really as accurate as most people think.

may be the case but i dont think its an excuse. as i said, im a pacifist. im against violence. i dont think anything has been solved by police ever killing a suspect.

its always been a shoot first ask questions later run organization.

beyond the mindless violence, its the disreguard for personal property and livelihood i have a problem with. when police kick down someones door and rifle through their belongings and trash their house, and THEY DONT find anything, do police ever spend time helping to clean up the room and or pay for a replacement door. the answer should be obvious.
  • Bad police arent the exception. they are the rule. police are brutal by nature.

OK, so what happened, you get a ticket today? I've met plenty of nice cops and know a few cops. As with anything, you're going to have assholes and people who aren't assholes. There isn't a "rule" or "nature" that covers all of them. That's just silly.

youve been on this board awhile. my stance on issues like capitalism, greed,violence, police and war havent changed since i joined in 2003.

And its not like police are this paragon of good. the laundry list of past and current grievances people have against police is too long to detail here, but youve got curruption, taking drugs and money from suspects and not reporting it to superiors, the long and sordid racist and homophobic and sexist culture inside police departments nationwide including the collusion of the the KKK and the police in the south, racial profiling and outright murder in the cases of Amadou Dialo, and the rape of abner louima, Rodney King, false arrests, sketchy tactics in confession rooms, the whole mentality of shoot first ask questions later. And yeah its not all the police departments fault, its also the governments, state and local, and the beaurocracy of it all.

people legitimately can and do have numerous grievances against the Police.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,239
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    I always heard from law people if you shoot, shoot to kill ! Supposedly if they survive they can bring you to court, sue, say a different story........so its just easier to end it! I know thats horrible but thats the thinking from what I have heard!!!!
    I just saw on the news today a 8th grader had a BB gun at school in Texas today was shot 3 times by two cops!!
    Not only killing him but how is several rounds in a school hall considered a safe shot, just disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!
  • i also think perception of police is alot like anything else, its race and socio economic related. You ask someone in Beverly Hills or the OC, their perception of police and you ask someone from Compton, or Bed Stuy or South Los Angeles their opinion of police and i'd say its going to differ wildly.
  • i guess my problem is as i highlighted, police dont just have guns. as opposed to most people they will encounter, they have batons, pepper spray, bean bag guns and tasers among other things. any of these can be successfully used to disarm a suspect or person and do it in a way that is just as powerful as a gun shot might be.

I dont really think my tax money needs to go to police who shoot to kill. Thats not what i consider solid policing. Im a pacifist so thats my moral and ethical problem with it all.

In the case of my hometown example. boy refuses to put down knife so police shoot and kill him. Thats not good policing. They could have done any number of things to disarm and put him in custody. they chose to kill him. A teenage high schooler.

Well i might ask why don't you just put down the knife. They don't know what else this kid had on him. you dont poke a pitbull with a stick and then cry that you got bit.
    i dont think anything has been solved by police ever killing a suspect.

I bet there have been a considerable number of lives saved by police b/c they shot someone and asked questions later.

There's plenty of shitty dirty cops, but there are also plenty that take whatever oaths they have to take to heart. I'm sure most probably fall somewhere in the middle much closer to the good side than the bad.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    DAMON wrote:
    I always heard from law people if you shoot, shoot to kill ! Supposedly if they survive they can bring you to court, sue, say a different story........so its just easier to end it! I know thats horrible but thats the thinking from what I have heard!!!!
    I just saw on the news today a 8th grader had a BB gun at school in Texas today was shot 3 times by two cops!!
    Not only killing him but how is several rounds in a school hall considered a safe shot, just disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I was a cop, and I couldn't tell if it was a BB gun or not, I would be shooting to kill.. It is unreasonable to ask a cop to do anything else. Why should they allow the danger of an already dangerous job to increase.. Unknown person, unknown intentions, shoot to kill and go home to your family safe and alive..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • i also think there is a disparity that i believe and i think the general populace believes as well, that their is a dichotomy between the punishment for shooting a police officer and the punishment for police who act out, killing a suspect, engage in racial profiling or abuse, rape etc... and as an all males, old boys club, i think they have alot of secrets and transgressions we are never privy to, because of the whole thin blue line/keep it in the family type thing that goes on. Just look at the cases of Mumia or Peltier. Both accused of shooting and killing either federal agents or a police officer. Yet, any cursory look at even recent, let alone the litany of examples from history of police either maiming, killing, brutalizing, raping, harming and destroying the lives of latinos, native americans, women, gays and african americans is long and storied.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    i dont think anything has been solved by police ever killing a suspect.

I bet there have been a considerable number of lives saved by police b/c they shot someone and asked questions later.

There's plenty of shitty dirty cops, but there are also plenty that take whatever oaths they have to take to heart. I'm sure most probably fall somewhere in the middle much closer to the good side than the bad.

as i said, thats all relative, and it changes each time you ask a different person. A person from South Chicago and a person from The Hamptons is going to have completely different views on police, their tactics, their humanity and morals and ethics.
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Only one side of the story to tell.
    i also think perception of police is alot like anything else, its race and socio economic related. You ask someone in Beverly Hills or the OC, their perception of police and you ask someone from Compton, or Bed Stuy or South Los Angeles their opinion of police and i'd say its going to differ wildly.

Can you police beverly hills the same way you police Compton? Come on man. Seriously? You expect peace officers to risk their own lives while trying to disarm someone who has ill intentions? Shoot the fuck and talk about it later.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Cue the fucking violins. If you don't want to get shot and killed by a cop, don't pull a weapon on them. It's really not that fucking difficult.

If I am putting my life on the line everyday to protect people and the city, and someone threatens my life, you better fucking believe I am going to take care of business and make sure I get home safe.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cue the fucking violins. If you don't want to get shot and killed by a cop, don't pull a weapon on them. It's really not that fucking difficult.

If I am putting my life on the line everyday to protect people and the city, and someone threatens my life, you better fucking believe I am going to take care of business and make sure I get home safe.

+1
  • i guess we all have our own heroes. you guys never watched the wire? i'd say its the most accurate and truthful portrayal of police ever filmed. portrays police how i view them.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

+1

Exactly man. You can't hug a tweeked out methhead. He claims to be a pacifist so he will never understand a cop. Just be glad there are police. Because if there weren't you wouldn't be a pacifist for long.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    i guess we all have our own heroes. you guys never watched the wire? i'd say its the most accurate and truthful portrayal of police ever filmed. portrays police how i view them.

Suppose you had a child at that school. Suppose it was a real gun. Suppose the cops killing that fucking idiot saved your child's life.. Are you still gonna sing that same song? I highly fucking doubt it..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    i guess we all have our own heroes. you guys never watched the wire? i'd say its the most accurate and truthful portrayal of police ever filmed. portrays police how i view them.

Not to be a dick but you do realize that the police is the first form of protection that allows you the freedom to watch shows like the wire? Guess tomorrow we should eliminate all police squads...you can go buy a peace sign and some incense and hope for the best.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729

The Wire? Really dude? Yeah, I watched it, probably my favorite show ever, actually going through it for a second time right now. I would love to know what time you have spent in the hood to support these views.

And if you want to relate it to the wire, if I saw the shit they did on a daily basis, including a female colleague getting shot ruthlessly, you better fucking believe I would be trigger happy too.
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    Wow...making a blanket statement about an entire profession based on cases of abuse (cases which are highlighted in the media, of course...because "good cop" just doesn't make as interesting of a story) is incredibly unfounded. If you honestly believe this, do you also believe all teachers sleep with their students? All priests molest children? All coaches rape? All accountants steal money? Etc... I think doing this is extremely similar to the profiling you are complaining about police doing, right? You are stereotyping and basing your opinion on an entire group off of the fact that there are some "bad apples" in the bunch.
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."